View Full Version : Vandal Fans - Oregon State to require masks at football games

JALMOND
August 20th, 2021, 12:58 AM
Benton County, Oregon (Corvallis), home of Oregon State University has announced that they will require all attendees to any public events outdoors to wear masks, ages 5 and up. This includes all OSU activities including football games.

https://democratherald.com/news/local/b ... 1e41c.html (https://democratherald.com/news/local/benton-county-orders-mask-use-outdoors/article_0932eb7b-aad3-56c2-b6d1-68e80021e41c.html)

Oregon State will host Idaho on September 18. Vandal fans coming to the game will need to mask up.

This is a county ordinance, not a state one (so far). This does not include Lane County (U of O) nor Washington County (Portland State-Hillsboro Stadium).

unknown3
August 20th, 2021, 11:31 AM
Damn near everyone (outside of the backwards ass south) will require masks. They will pack stadiums, no masks and shut down the healthcare system by week 3.

Sitting Bull
August 20th, 2021, 03:15 PM
If masks were so effective, the places that are most insistent that you wear them wouldn’t lead the list of States with highest Covid deaths coupled with highest unemployment rates.

Anyone who mandates wearing a mask outdoors is not doing it for health reasons. Screw Oregon.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2021, 04:55 PM
If masks were so effective, the places that are most insistent that you wear them wouldn’t lead the list of States with highest Covid deaths coupled with highest unemployment rates.

Anyone who mandates wearing a mask outdoors is not doing it for health reasons. Screw Oregon.

You best not start steering toward any political BS on the FCS board. I've mentioned this plenty before so keep away from anything that gets you feeling like you need to do that or you won't have this board to reflect on.

That's a fair warning for everyone btw.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2021, 09:04 PM
You best not start steering toward any political BS on the FCS board. I've mentioned this plenty before so keep away from anything that gets you feeling like you need to do that or you won't have this board to reflect on.

That's a fair warning for everyone btw.Yea, post #2 wasn't political

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Let's keep the talk about sports, thanks.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Let's keep the talk about sports, thanks.This thread isn't about sports, it is about policy outside of the sport itself. What possible sports conversation can you have in this thread. If you want the game discussed, have somebody create a thread about the game.

NY Crusader 2010
August 21st, 2021, 06:27 AM

That's a fair warning for everyone btw.

Did Oregon State move to the Big Sky? This entire THREAD shouldn't be in the FCS forum.

JayJ79
August 21st, 2021, 07:48 AM
Did Oregon State move to the Big Sky? This entire THREAD shouldn't be in the FCS forum.

Idaho is in the Big Sky and FCS. The Vandals are playing a game at Oregon State, so any Idaho fans looking to attend the game should know that they will be required to wear masks while attending. (or if for some reason they are adamantly anti-mask, then this thread lets them know that they should not attend).

So the fact that it is discussing a game involving an FCS team makes it a valid thread for the FCS forum. Although there isn't all that much to "discuss" without the thread devolving into a political rant or a bunch of whining; but it is still of value to have the announcement of the mask requirement here to inform potential attendees.

McCowboys
August 21st, 2021, 10:43 AM
Idaho is in the Big Sky and FCS. The Vandals are playing a game at Oregon State, so any Idaho fans looking to attend the game should know that they will be required to wear masks while attending. (or if for some reason they are adamantly anti-mask, then this thread lets them know that they should not attend).

So the fact that it is discussing a game involving an FCS team makes it a valid thread for the FCS forum. Although there isn't all that much to "discuss" without the thread devolving into a political rant or a bunch of whining; but it is still of value to have the announcement of the mask requirement here to inform potential attendees.

I'm not sure if this mask mandate is an "Oregon" thing or a Pac-12 thing or not, but Oregon Ducks are also requiring masks at football games as well as proof of vaccinations for those 12 and older.

Professor Chaos
August 21st, 2021, 12:12 PM
Not just mask requirements but you'll also be required to show proof of vaccination or produce a negative test result in order to go to this game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32058187/oregon-ducks-require-vaccination-proof-negative-covid-19-test-attend-college-football-games

Whether this is right or wrong aside this is going to be a disaster getting through the gates unless they come up with a really streamlined way to do this or some way to electronically submit your proof so you can just scan your ticket and get in. If not, better start lining up 2 hours prior to kickoff in order to get into the stadium in time.

JALMOND
August 21st, 2021, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure if this mask mandate is an "Oregon" thing or a Pac-12 thing or not, but Oregon Ducks are also requiring masks at football games as well as proof of vaccinations for those 12 and older.

Ducks are still letting people go maskless outdoors. They are requiring masks indoors and also where there is a "crowd" (concessions, rest rooms). I did hear last night that U of O is requiring the proof of vaccination for 12 and over OR a "recent " COVID test, although they did not state how recent.

Here is the latest from the Ducks. They are hosting Stony Brook on Sept. 18.

Face coverings are required indoors in all UO facilities regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings can be removed when alone in a room. Face coverings must fully cover the nose and mouth. Mesh masks, lace masks, and other face coverings with openings, valves, holes, vents, or other visible gaps in the design or material are not in compliance with this policy. Masks are not required outdoors.

Nothing from Portland State yet.

JALMOND
August 21st, 2021, 12:50 PM
More on the issue: Oregon Ducks requiring proof of vaccine or negative COVID test for those 12 and older to attend football games. Mandate goes in effect Monday, 8-23.

https://www.wavy.com/sports/oregon-to-require-proof-vaccination-to-attend-football-games/

Also Hawaii announced that no fans will be able to attend their home football games, including Portland State on 9-4.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/virus-surge-means-no-fans-allowed-at-home-hawaii-games/2021/08/20/dc40393a-0202-11ec-87e0-7e07bd9ce270_story.html

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2021, 03:28 PM
Yea, post #2 wasn't political

Not too much. I'm not gonna ****ing argue with you about this **** POD so I really suggest you don't press it. I've given plenty of chances and I'm getting sick of of it. You get it?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2021, 03:30 PM

I had that same thought until I read the part about him wanting to alert Vandal Fans, so I changed the title and told him that this should be kept FCS centric and he agreed his first title and the post could have been done better so that is the hope going forward.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2021, 03:40 PM
This is simple folks. You all know how to start threads on the political board. If you see a thread on the FCS board that is trying to provide information that you may like or dislike and you feel strongly about making you stance known politically then by all god damn means go start a thread over there discussing the topic or referencing it,or even linking to it. You have every opportunity to discuss your dip**** politics...over there. Not here.

I've asked nicely long enough. I'm not asking anymore. You won't have the FCS board to look at if you test me on it so feel free to challenge me on it if you like.

If we have information that will be valuable for fans attending games that their FCS teams will be in then go ahead put it up and discuss but make sure it is about FCS if it is on this board.

Sitting Bull
August 21st, 2021, 07:07 PM
Not too much. I'm not gonna ****ing argue with you about this **** POD so I really suggest you don't press it. I've given plenty of chances and I'm getting sick of of it. You get it?

I get the point though that post was not only political, it was also a condescending smack against people from the South.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2021, 08:20 PM
I get the point though that post was not only political, it was also a condescending smack against people from the South.

I reread it and I think you have a point so that poster is in the exact same boat with you and needs to heed the same warning although I don't know how anyone would think they are outside of it at this point.

I don't give a **** if somebody else is doing it...it doesn't mean that you (whoever you may be) gets to put in your two cents politically on this board. Let them be the one(s) that get caught doing it and exit the FCS board instead of you being swept up in it too.

If I don't see it, feel free to point it out via pm or report it.

dgtw
August 22nd, 2021, 07:33 AM
Vaccine or recent negative test required for games in New Orleans.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/08/12/new-orleans-saints-tulane-require-fans-vaccine-covid-19-negative-test-home-games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
August 22nd, 2021, 04:49 PM
I’m expecting mask mandates to become universal at most every stadium in college and pro football at some point this season. Whether or not attendance will be limited like last year is still up for debate, but I expect some to do that as well. I don’t think colleges will lockdown like during the 2020 spring semester, but mask mandates and social distancing requirements will probably be back in place if the Delta Variant keeps spreading amongst unvaccinated students.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 22nd, 2021, 05:42 PM
I’m expecting mask mandates to become universal at most every stadium in college and pro football at some point this season. Whether or not attendance will be limited like last year is still up for debate, but I expect some to do that as well. I don’t think colleges will lockdown like during the 2020 spring semester, but mask mandates and social distancing requirements will probably be back in place if the Delta Variant keeps spreading amongst unvaccinated students.

Yeah, I think you are correct unfortunately. I really thought with the vaccines, outdoors, etc. we'd be in good shape this season but damn it looks like Delta is going to make it real hard to get back to the mindset I had in mid June to early July.

The Cats
August 22nd, 2021, 05:55 PM
Western Carolina will require masks (or face covering) at games.....

Attendance Responsibilities:

Entry to the stadium will be allowed only through Gates 1 and 6 (West Side) and Gates 3 and 4 (East Side); player parents will continue to pick-up complimentary tickets at the Ramsey Center near Gate 6.
In addition to adhering to assigned seating, face coverings will be required during all home sporting events and must be properly worn at all times even while seated or in concession lines unless actively eating or drinking;
A strict no re-entry policy to the stadium will be enforced once a ticket holder has entered the venue.

NY Crusader 2010
August 22nd, 2021, 05:56 PM

Most colleges and universities are requiring vaccines now as an in-person enrollment requirement so unvaccinated students are likely to be few and far between at many schools.

Let's hope for some kind of normalcy. Again, the coronavirus is much less likely to be transmitted OUTDOORS, with or without vaccines or masks.

My prediction is we'll see a VERY wide range of policies enacted across the FCS landscape. Wouldn't surprise me if we had both a) full capacity un-masked crowds at the Fargodome with no vaccine passport needed AND b) Mask mandates and a 2,000 fan max at the Yale Bowl...with proof of vaccination needed to enter.

caribbeanhen
August 22nd, 2021, 09:40 PM
Most colleges and universities are requiring vaccines now as an in-person enrollment requirement so unvaccinated students are likely to be few and far between at many schools.

Let's hope for some kind of normalcy. Again, the coronavirus is much less likely to be transmitted OUTDOORS, with or without vaccines or masks.

My prediction is we'll see a VERY wide range of policies enacted across the FCS landscape. Wouldn't surprise me if we had both a) full capacity un-masked crowds at the Fargodome with no vaccine passport needed AND b) Mask mandates and a 2,000 fan max at the Yale Bowl...with proof of vaccination needed to enter.

I don’t think the Yale Bowl will have to worry about 2,000 fans wanting to come but seriously that place is massive, you could put 20,000 people in there and still be 30 feet from everyone

walliver
August 23rd, 2021, 02:23 PM
N95 masks are effective.
Other medical grade mask help some.
Cloth masks are probably not of much benefit unless teamed with other measures such as social distancing.
It probably doesn't matter whether or not someone wears a mask at a football game, but schools just don't want to assume the liability. In the end, I suspect most schools, other than those specifically prohibited by their states, will end up with mask mandates.
Proof of vaccination sounds good, but how do you screen 70,000 vaccine cards from many different states at a P5 venue.