PDA

View Full Version : D2 (or lower div) over FCS Scalp Watch

Libertine
August 15th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Because CHIP72 and caribbeanhen requested it, I give you the 2021 schedule of FCS schools playing D2 or lower division opponents. This does not include schools transitioning up to FCS (Dixie St., Tarleton St., St. Thomas, etc.,) except where they are playing a lower division opponent. All opponents are assumed to be D2 unless otherwise noted.

9/2 Mercer vs Point (NAIA)
9/2 Kennesaw vs Reinhart (NAIA)
9/2 Drake vs WV Wesleyan
9/2 Lamar vs North American (unaffiliated)
9/3 Central Connecticut St. vs Southern Connecticut St.
9/4 Presbyterian vs St. Andrews (NAIA)
9/4 Idaho vs Simon Fraser
9/4 McNeese vs West Florida
9/4 St. Thomas vs St. Francis (NAIA)
9/4 Merrimack vs St. Anselm
9/4 Delaware St. vs Bowie St.
9/4 Alabama St. vs Miles
9/4 Valparaiso vs Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA)
9/4 UAPB vs Lane
9/4 Hampton vs Virginia Union
9/4 Stetson vs Warner (NAIA)
9/11 Morehead St. vs Union (NAIA)
9/11 Presbyterian vs. Fort Lauderdale (NCCAA)
9/11 Butler vs DePauw (D3)
9/11 South Dakota St. vs Lindenwood
9/11 Tarleton St. vs Fort Lewis
9/11 East Tennessee St. vs UVa-Wise
9/11 Abilene Christian vs Louisiana College (NAIA)
9/11 Eastern Washington vs Central Washington
9/11 St. Thomas vs Michigan Tech
9/11 Stetson vs Ave Maria (NAIA)
9/11 Florida A&M vs Fort Valley St.
9/11 Southern vs Miles
9/11 Davidson vs Shaw
9/18 Tennessee St. vs Kentucky St.
9/18 Portland St. vs Western Oregon
9/18 Gardner-Webb vs Lincoln
9/18 Abilene Christian vs UT-Permian Basin
9/18 NC Central vs Winston-Salem St.
9/18 Norfolk St. vs Elizabeth City St.
9/18 The Citadel vs North Greenville
9/18 Butler vs Taylor (D3)
9/25 Tarleton St. vs New Mexico Highlands
9/25 Alabama A&M vs Tuskegee
9/25 Jackson St. vs Delta St.
9/25 Stephen F, Austin vs Lincoln, CA (???)*
9/25 Duquesne vs Virginia-Lynchburg (NCCAA)
10/2 Texas Southern vs North American (unaffiliated)
10/15 Norfolk St. vs Virginia-Lynchburg (NCCAA)
10/22 Tennessee Tech vs Virginia-Lynchburg (NCCAA)
11/6 Central Arkansas v Texas Wesleyan (NAIA)
11/13 Dixie St. vs Fort Lewis
11/20 Howard vs Virginia-Lynchburg (NCCAA)
11/25 Alabama St. vs Tuskegee

* I have no idea what division Lincoln, CA plays in. The downtown Oakland school is fielding athletic teams for the first time this fall and, to this point, don't even have an athletics page on their website. As recently as July 22nd, they were still actively looking for football players on Twitter. The only official athletic news they've announced at all is the hiring of 9-time NBA All-Star Gary Payton (yes, The Glove) as their men's basketball coach.

JSUSoutherner
August 15th, 2021, 02:58 PM
UNA has a pretty good chance of giving us a whuppin.

UAalum72
August 15th, 2021, 03:11 PM
* I have no idea what division Lincoln, CA plays in. The downtown Oakland school is fielding athletic teams for the first time this fall and, to this point, don't even have an athletics page on their website. As recently as July 22nd, they were still actively looking for football players on Twitter. The only official athletic news they've announced at all is the hiring of 9-time NBA All-Star Gary Payton (yes, The Glove) as their men's basketball coach.

A comment Reddit says they'll be "In one of the California conferences in NAIA"
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/kegho6/lincoln_university_california_adds_football/

Lincoln U is on the schedule of Willamette (OR) as a non-conference game, so not the D-III Northwest Conference

from HUDL:

Outsider1
August 15th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Out of our two lower level opponents, UTPB is the only one that can give us any challenge. I don't see us losing though. Our embarrassment against ASU last year will still be a bitter taste in our mouths. I don't think we are going to swallow that pill two years in a row.....

Libertine
August 15th, 2021, 03:21 PM
A comment on their Reddit page says they'll be "In one of the California conferences in NAIA"
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/kegho6/lincoln_university_california_adds_football/

from HUDL:

Thanks, that means either the CalPac or the GSAC. At the moment, however, NAIA.org only lists two member schools named Lincoln and both are in Illinois. NAIA must be the goal but, right now, they seem to be in some sort of preliminary limbo. Frankly, I'm shocked that SFA scheduled them.

Outsider1
August 15th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Thanks, that means either the CalPac or the GSAC. At the moment, however, NAIA.org only lists two member schools named Lincoln and both are in Illinois. NAIA must be the goal but, right now, they seem to be in some sort of preliminary limbo. Frankly, I'm shocked that SFA scheduled them.

No more shocked than us insanely scheduling Louisiana College; stupid.......

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2021, 03:30 PM
There are also two FCS games versus North American University, an unaffiliated school.

https://www.na.edu/2021-football-schedule/

Libertine
August 15th, 2021, 04:07 PM
There are also two FCS games versus North American University, an unaffiliated school.

https://www.na.edu/2021-football-schedule/

I'll add them in. I got the initial schedule by going to the NCAA's FCS schedule site so it's interesting that the North American U games weren't listed.

CHIP72
August 15th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Bowie State, which has been a pretty good team in the CIAA in recent years (albeit the CIAA is one of the weaker D2 leagues), probably has a good chance for a win against Delaware State.

The Merrimack vs St. Anselm game is a matchup of former NE-10 Conference rivals; Merrimack only joined DI-AA/FCS, moving from the NE-10 to the NEC, in (IIRC) 2019.

Interestingly, the PSAC (the D2 league I follow most closely) doesn’t have a single FCS game this season, or at least no such games are listed above. Though the PSAC isn’t a great D2 conference by any means, I have no doubt that some of the better teams could knock off various Patriot League and NEC teams if they played. In 2019, East Stroudsburg, a mid-pack PSAC team, defeated Wagner (who mind you was terrible that season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katss07
August 15th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Still not sure why or how North American added a football team. It’s a school that’s literally ran out of an office building and it has 200 students.

UAalum72
August 15th, 2021, 05:36 PM
I'll add them in. I got the initial schedule by going to the NCAA's FCS schedule site so it's interesting that the North American U games weren't listed.
Do their games not count for the NCAA , like club teams and exhibitions? There was some discussion of this a few years ago. At least NAU has some kind of accreditation, but per niche.com they have fewer than 300 students.

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Thank you Libertine!

You make AGS a better place!

Laker
August 15th, 2021, 06:20 PM

I'll predict a Cowboy win but Austin Reed threw 6 TDs in the 2019 D2 championship 48-40 win for UWF. He was amazing in the first half.

Libertine
August 15th, 2021, 09:53 PM
Still not sure why or how North American added a football team. It’s a school that’s literally ran out of an office building and it has 200 students.

Univ of Fort Lauderdale is much the same thing, ~150 students in a repurposed strip mall.

McNeese75
August 15th, 2021, 10:22 PM

I'll predict a Cowboy win but Austin Reed threw 6 TDs in the 2019 D2 championship 48-40 win for UWF. He was amazing in the first half.

Pokes better come with guns blazin for this one!!!

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2021, 11:40 PM

I remember that W Florida game and the QB, forgot his name but Laker never forgets

Keeper
August 16th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Univ of Fort Lauderdale is much the same thing, ~150 students in a repurposed strip mall.

Too bad that nobody was able to schedule Plainfield Teachers College this season. :D (check Wikipedia)

Keeper
August 16th, 2021, 06:03 AM
Note: As of August 4th, the NCAA officially lists North American U as a non-counter opponent.
Record and stats will not be included in their archives. (Also states "not a complete list")
There is no mention of Lincoln-Cal. UofFtLauderdale became countable per NAIA on July 1st.
VU Lynchburg was listed in seasons past, but not now. I'm reluctant to include any of these game results in my ratings.

"This list only reflects those teams for which the NAIA National Office received countable opponent inquiries. This is not an exhaustive list of non-countable opponents. It is an institution's responsibility to research if an opponent is countable or non-countable."

Laker
August 16th, 2021, 06:26 AM
I remember that W Florida game and the QB, forgot his name but Laker never forgets

Sometimes- in the case of close losses or old girlfriends- it isn't a good thing. :D

BEAR
August 17th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Nov. 6- Texas Wesleyan Rams (NAIA?) vs UCA in Conway.

When asked about the Arkansas State matchup on November 6th, Prud'homme says the environment will be big time, "Central Arkansas will be a formidable opponent and will be a great game for us in a big time environment, especially if we are in contention for playoffs at that time."

https://ramsports.net/news/2021/4/26/football-announces-2021-schedule.aspx

The Rams restarted football in 2016 from what I can research...no upset expected here...xcoffeex

Daytripper
August 17th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Nov. 6- Texas Wesleyan Rams (NAIA?) vs UCA in Conway.

https://ramsports.net/news/2021/4/26/football-announces-2021-schedule.aspx

The Rams restarted football in 2016 from what I can research...no upset expected here...xcoffeex

Breylin Smith can pad his statistics. xnodx

JALMOND
August 18th, 2021, 04:33 PM

From what I've found, the "Oaklanders" are playing 2 DIII teams, 5 DII teams, and 1 DI team, all on the road. They are NAIA, but I'm thinking they are going through some type of transition stage. If they are playing all road games, they probably do not have a home field yet.

Here is their schedule from ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/124179

aceinthehole
August 18th, 2021, 05:27 PM
CCSU should beat D-II Southern Connecticut, but I expect a close game. When the teams last met in 2011, Central scored the first 28 points and held on for the 35-21 victory.
https://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/201109039gj7vm

Central vs. Southern - Connecticut State Rivals
Central Connecicut opens the season at home vs. D-II Southern Connecticut, CCSU's most played opponent. Central and Southern will meet for the 54th time and Southern holds a 35-18 series advantage. The schools first met on the gridiron in 1949 and played annually through 1999, with just one exception (1963 game was cancelled as the nation mourned JFK). Central has won 4 straight vs. Southern and is 7-3 in the last 10 games played.

Central Connecticut vs. D-II/III Opponents
Since joining the I-AA/FCS ranks for the 1993 season, Central Connecticut is 18-9 vs. D-II/III opponents. The Blue Devils have won 13 straight and 15 of the last 17. CCSU's last loss to a lower division opponent was in 1999 (at Frostburg State). The Blue Devils haven't lost a home game to a D-II team since 1995 (vs. Southern Connecticut).

BEAR
August 18th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Breylin Smith can pad his statistics. xnodx

Pretty much. I think every starting QB at every level gets one of those games. xlolx

Katfan
August 18th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Pretty much. I think every starting QB at every level gets one of those games. xlolx
Then he plays Sam so on the average he’ll be average!

JALMOND
August 19th, 2021, 12:29 AM
9/18 Portland St. vs Western Oregon

Since joining DI in 1996, Portland State has never lost to a lower division foe. The closest that the Vikings were threatened was against Western Oregon in 2015 (I think was the year) when they won 45-38.

Portland State has beaten 4 FBS schools since joining DI. They are Hawaii, New Mexico, Washington State and North Texas. The Vikings play both Hawaii and Washington State this year, which will be the first time they play either school since they beat those two.

BEAR
August 19th, 2021, 07:17 AM
Then he plays Sam so on the average he’ll be average!

Add in his FBS game and all the games against FCS conference champs and it may be a tough year!

bonarae
September 3rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
It's happened again; a UC Davis-type upset nobody saw happening.

Southern Connecticut State stuns CCSU 28-21.

VandalBasher
September 4th, 2021, 12:56 PM
West Florida is giving McNeese a game!

ysubigred
September 4th, 2021, 03:54 PM
McNeese goes down in flames..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

katss07
September 4th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Valpo gettin absolutely waxed by Indiana Wesleyan 21-3 in the second.

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2021, 07:32 PM

An inauspicious start for the Fighting Beacons.

Meanwhile, St. Andrews (NAIA) struggled vs Presbyterian, 84-43. No, this is not a basketball score.

https://www.sauknights.com/sport/football/2021-22/box-scores/5191/presbyterian-college-vs-st-andrews

CHIP72
September 4th, 2021, 07:36 PM
To be fair to McNeese State, West Florida was the preseason #1 team in the country in Division II football.

West Florida beating McNeese State would be similar to having Sam Houston State beat a somewhat worse than average P5 team or fairly good but not great G5 team.

bonarae
September 4th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Indiana Wesleyan stomped Valpo 28-10.

ysubigred
September 4th, 2021, 08:55 PM
To be fair to McNeese State, West Florida was the preseason #1 team in the country in Division II football.

West Florida beating McNeese State would be similar to having Sam Houston State beat a somewhat worse than average P5 team or fairly good but not great G5 team.So you're saying McNeese is a somewhat worse than average FCS team?

CHIP72
September 5th, 2021, 08:24 AM
So you're saying McNeese is a somewhat worse than average FCS team?

I admittedly don't follow the Southland Conference that closely, but McNeese State was picked 4th out of 6 teams in the league's preseason poll. The conference was also weakened by various conference members' departures to the reformed WAC and the Atlantic Sun Conference. Coming into the season I'm guessing McNeese State was a mid-level DI-AA/FCS team.

Laker
September 5th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Wow- I knew that West Florida was really good, but I didn't think that they would beat McNeese. Shocker.

OhioHen
September 5th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Indiana Wesleyan was probably favored in this matchup.

OhioHen
September 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM
So you're saying McNeese is a somewhat worse than average FCS team?

Or a fairly good but not great team from an weaker FCS conference.

NY Crusader 2010
September 5th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Wow- I knew that West Florida was really good, but I didn't think that they would beat McNeese. Shocker.

C'mon Laker, you're the biggest water carrier for DII football on here. They're the #1 team in the country in the division. Nothing for McNeese to be embarrassed about whatsoever. I'm sure West Florida will end up in whatever new conference spawns out of the A-Sun and/or remnants of the Southland.

A few years ago, Sam Houston was a legit Top 10 team in FCS and got beaten soundly by Colorado State-Pueblo, who I think either finished first or second in DII that year ultimately. The other really big sub-DI over FCS upset I remember was New Haven over Villanova in the late 1990's. It was the year after 'Nova had their first breakout year, where they went undefeated regular season and lost to McNeese in the I-AA semis.

NY Crusader 2010
September 5th, 2021, 04:52 PM
It's happened again; a UC Davis-type upset nobody saw happening.

Southern Connecticut State stuns CCSU 28-21.

aceinthehole projected a close game. But I don't think anyone expected a Southern WIN. So in the state of CT on the same day you had an FCS over FBS and a DII over FCS. Fall 2019 starting to feel like a distant memory in New Britain.

If only Patriot League teams could beat the NEC as often as DII schools do. Oh well.

Laker
September 5th, 2021, 05:22 PM
C'mon Laker, you're the biggest water carrier for DII football on here. They're the #1 team in the country in the division. Nothing for McNeese to be embarrassed about whatsoever. I'm sure West Florida will end up in whatever new conference spawns out of the A-Sun and/or remnants of the Southland.

A few years ago, Sam Houston was a legit Top 10 team in FCS and got beaten soundly by Colorado State-Pueblo, who I think either finished first or second in DII that year.

Yes. 2014 title game. MSU lost to them 13-0. I still feel that game.

McNeese75
September 5th, 2021, 06:32 PM
I admittedly don't follow the Southland Conference that closely, but McNeese State was picked 4th out of 6 teams in the league's preseason poll. The conference was also weakened by various conference members' departures to the reformed WAC and the Atlantic Sun Conference. Coming into the season I'm guessing McNeese State was a mid-level DI-AA/FCS team.

Until proven differently a very fair assessment. McNeese has a real problem with their kicking game and that was a large contribution to the loss. The WF QB got rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds (probably closer to 2) so what we consider a good D line could never get to him. The Argos like a lot of DII teams are loaded with FBS talent. No excuses, Pokes lost to a good team. I suspect they will be in the hunt for their Natty at the end of the season. Now on to the 2019 FBS National champion that got stoned by the baby blues last night.

McCowboys
September 6th, 2021, 07:18 AM

UWF is that good. Ask Mr. Chicken, he knows.
As for McNeese....the Cowboys outgained the Argonauts in total yardage. Cody Orgeron (who will face his father at LSU this week) had a career day passing and no interceptions. However, when you play a very good team, no matter what the level, you cannot have numerous penalties (this has been a problem with McNeese teams over the last few years). It would also help if you could make extra points and field goals. The Cowboys missed a field goal and three point after touchdowns. Pathetic! I could throw in that it was hot as hell with a noon kickoff, but both teams had to deal with that. The UWF QB is awesome, and our secondary had issues covering their many talented receivers.

McNeese fans can just pray that the costly penalties (four of which helped lead to UWF TD's) and a kicking game can be fixed, and soon. The Cowboys face a very angry LSU team this weekend. No matter how McNeese improves from week one to week two may not matter much.

Schism55
September 6th, 2021, 12:26 PM
McNeese, you get 7 lashes with the belt.
Central Conn you get infinity lashes with the belt...holy that is an embarrassing loss

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2021, 12:36 PM
McNeese, you get 7 lashes with the belt.
Central Conn you get infinity lashes with the belt...holy that is an embarrassing loss

I heard similar on Colorado State and The U boards

bonarae
September 18th, 2021, 02:29 PM
D-II Kentucky State thumped Tennessee State 46-23.

ElCid
September 18th, 2021, 03:10 PM
D-II Kentucky State thumped Tennessee State 46-23.

Where are you getting that? My ESPN says 17-0 Tenn St. And the ESPN+ live vid has that. Am I missing something?

ysubigred
September 18th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Where are you getting that? My ESPN says 17-0 Tenn St. And the ESPN+ live vid has that. Am I missing something?Might be an old basketball score.. KYSt. is a decent B ball school..