PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Schedule- Question for you guys

MUHAWKS
August 12th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Hello Everyone- First post since last season but been following along a bit. Obviously as a Monmouth fan, I and everyone else around the program are excited for this year. I b*tched a lot last couple years about not getting respect (and def understood most of it was b/c of how we fared against N. Iowa and JMU in both of our step up playoff games). Even beating Kennesaw badly 2 years in a row did not help as most feel they are perennially over rated. All good there, as it seems with our performance against Sammy in the playoffs and their winning the whole thing, we finally come INTO a season with real expectations from people not just in our program. That scares me a bit but only b/c I am a big believer in psychology and I like the underdog role but whatever this is good stuff and between our staff and senior led team I do not think any sort of mental breakdown is possible.

I was wondering what people think of our schedule (obviously just on paper) in terms of if it measuring up. The reason I ask is because I tend to still see the patriot league as way way down and even their best teams are not really powerful. I am not saying I am right, I am just basing it on what I have seen last few years. It seems that people around the Holy Cross program think they are a legit top 20 team and Fordham supposedly is decent. We play both teams. Also, Princeton is picked atop the IVY again and we all know that in a lot of the years the best IVY team is a legit tp 25 team perhaps much better. If we beat all 3 of those teams it will be "what we are supposed to do" but will the world give MU credit? We play all 3 teams relatively early in the season. And yes I am well aware how Princeton thrashed us a couple years back. Below is our full schedule. What do you guys think overall? "if" the IVy and Patriot leagues are good it makes this looks like a pretty tough road. But guys who cheer for teams in more power type conferences I cannot imagine think even a good patriot league team is as good as a bad team in their conference. Obviously we have an FBS game and even though MTSU is not very good (I dont think) we all know the deal. ANY fcs vs fbs counts as a tough game. Then we have the top 2 teams in patriot league with 1 maybe being pretty good, top 25 type. Princeton very well could be a top 25 team (every year the best team in IVY is ranked). After that we have our Big South fare which includes Kennesaw, North Carolina A&T (ranked) and what I see as a very tough North Alabama team who will probably surprise a lot of folks. The reason I am asking is for hypothetical purposes. Like, suppose we go 8-3 or 9-2 and DONT win the Big South and the 2-3 losses are to Kennesaw, Middle Tennessee and whoever but take care of Fordham, holy cross and Princeton. Is this schedule enough to be considered an at large and will last springs performance be enough for benefit of the doubt? I think we will beat Middle Tennessee and frankly am more scared of Princeton, North Alabama and Kennesaw. The reason I am scared of Kennesaw is revenge factor and Bohannon HAD to have made some changes. We know they have stellar athletes maybe they will change it up a bit. Clearly what they are doing does not work anymore consistently. Any thoughts/ comments?

ate Time At Opponent Location Tournament Result

Sep 4 (Sat) 7 PM Away Middle Tennessee Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Sep 11 (Sat) 6 PM Away Fordham New York, NY

Sep 18 (Sat) 6 PM Away Charleston Southern Charleston, SC

Sep 25 (Sat) 1 PM Home Holy Cross West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 2 (Sat) 1 PM Home Gardner-Webb West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 9 (Sat) 1 PM Home Princeton West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Oct 16 (Sat) 1 PM Away Campbell Buies Creek, NC

Oct 30 (Sat) 1 PM Away North Carolina A&T Greensboro, NC

Nov 6 (Sat) 1 PM Home North Alabama West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 13 (Sat) 12 PM Home Robert Morris West Long Branch, NJ (Kessler Stadium)

Nov 20 (Sat) 1 PM Away Kennesaw State Kennesaw, GA

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Monmouth got a ton of respect with the beat down of Kennesaw St, Hooty Hoo still on endangered species list after that game and then you showed up strong in your play up game vs FCS champions Sam Houston.

Your schedule is pretty good and definitely some interesting OOC games

I really like your QB ..... Season will be very telling for Monmouth in my opinion

MUHAWKS
August 12th, 2021, 08:44 AM
hear you, thanks-- I really hope you guys beat Schiano. I love NJ obviously but would love to see it. Yes indeed this season is huge for us. A letdown would ruin all the recent work. Big things in store for our neighbors down in Newark too!

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 08:58 AM
hear you, thanks-- I really hope you guys beat Schiano. I love NJ obviously but would love to see it. Yes indeed this season is huge for us. A letdown would ruin all the recent work. Big things in store for our neighbors down in Newark too!

I’m not all that fired up about the Rutgers game really as Rutgers has changed .... but yes the situation in Newark is definitely changing for the better. The new athletic center built adjacent to Stadium is a palace and it appears it is already helping with recruiting.

DFW HOYA
August 12th, 2021, 12:03 PM
I was wondering what people think of our schedule (obviously just on paper) in terms of if it measuring up. The reason I ask is because I tend to still see the patriot league as way way down and even their best teams are not really powerful. I am not saying I am right, I am just basing it on what I have seen last few years.

With this in mind, has the Patriot League fall plateaued in your view or is it still trending downward? There's not much left to hit the floor (e.g., Pioneer)

MUHAWKS
August 12th, 2021, 12:25 PM
With this in mind, has the Patriot League fall plateaued in your view or is it still trending downward? There's not much left to hit the floor (e.g., Pioneer)

I really do not know but I would say there is limited upside for the intermediate term. I would think at BEST maybe in a given year the best Patriot team can play with the middle pack Colonial teams, beat some good NEC teams. I LIKE the Patriot league, I am not a hater- To me it is sad that a lot of teams with so much tradition are so down in terms of national level. With that said, Patriot teams give good teams tough games all the time so it is possible. I am not sure what the answer is? Being a Monmouth guy I have watched us grow from a glorified D-3 program (even tho it was 1-aa) from the start in the late 90's to limited scholarship to almost now at full scholarship. But we have very few academic restrictions, especially compared to the Patriot League. So growth, or in this case re-growth is possible but IMO ONLY with sort of easing the academic req's.. The IVY league is a huge problem IMO- Very few guys that CAN get in to both Lehigh and also Princeton are going to go t Lehigh if $$ is not an issue. Man I do not know it is complex but there is tons of parity in FCS right now and I think 1-2 programs in the patriot can be good but not really a top/bottom thing.

MUHAWKS
August 12th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I’m not all that fired up about the Rutgers game really as Rutgers has changed .... but yes the situation in Newark is definitely changing for the better. The new athletic center built adjacent to Stadium is a palace and it appears it is already helping with recruiting.

I hear that but it is still a chance to beat a "BIG 10 team" LOL-- we were supposed to openm with them Fall 2020 before covid- I was pumped . Lve Delaware program and facilities, atmosphere etc. Had a few friends play there over the years.

POD Knows
August 12th, 2021, 12:43 PM
I hear that but it is still a chance to beat a "BIG 10 team" LOL-- we were supposed to openm with them Fall 2020 before covid- I was pumped . Lve Delaware program and facilities, atmosphere etc. Had a few friends play there over the years.Hey, here some advise for riling up the Delaware faithful, get a lead on them and run a fake field goal attempt late in the game, you will be more F bombs dropped on you from guys in wheelchairs and walkers than you ever thought possible. :D BTW, I am a new Monmouth Hawks fans, the boat race on KSU was good, nothing against KSU but, well, it quieted a guy down.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Hey, here some advise for riling up the Delaware faithful, get a lead on them and run a fake field goal attempt late in the game, you will be more F bombs dropped on you from guys in wheelchairs and walkers than you ever thought possible. :D BTW, I am a new Monmouth Hawks fans, the boat race on KSU was good, nothing against KSU but, well, it quieted a guy down.

Your head coach is not the brightest, you know this to be true.

POD Knows
August 12th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Your head coach is not the brightest, you know this to be true.It was a great play call, what are you talking about. It worked :D, I thought I was going to get beat to death with some type of medical device on the way out of the stands.

Fordham
August 12th, 2021, 01:19 PM
I really do not know but I would say there is limited upside for the intermediate term. I would think at BEST maybe in a given year the best Patriot team can play with the middle pack Colonial teams, beat some good NEC teams. I LIKE the Patriot league, I am not a hater- To me it is sad that a lot of teams with so much tradition are so down in terms of national level. With that said, Patriot teams give good teams tough games all the time so it is possible. I am not sure what the answer is? Being a Monmouth guy I have watched us grow from a glorified D-3 program (even tho it was 1-aa) from the start in the late 90's to limited scholarship to almost now at full scholarship. But we have very few academic restrictions, especially compared to the Patriot League. So growth, or in this case re-growth is possible but IMO ONLY with sort of easing the academic req's.. The IVY league is a huge problem IMO- Very few guys that CAN get in to both Lehigh and also Princeton are going to go t Lehigh if $$ is not an issue. Man I do not know it is complex but there is tons of parity in FCS right now and I think 1-2 programs in the patriot can be good but not really a top/bottom thing.
Tough to argue with any of that as a PL fan. The only weird thing is that I feel that HC and Fordham are recruiting as well as we ever have at least in terms of ratings on guys being brought in. I know ratings aren't everything but there does seem to be a disconnect between the talent we think we're bringing in and our OOC performance. One thing that sticks out to me is the no redshirting rule. I remember playing UNH in the playoffs and their line was made up of redshirt Jr and Srs as the general rule I was told is that they try to redshirt all freshmen there. It really made it a man v boys game on the lines that not even a talent like Chase Edmonds could make up for. Otherwise we need to start performing in the OOC before we'll ever get respect again and, I have to say that our schedule scares the crap out of me this year. First four games ...

Nebraska
Monmouth
Florida Atlantic
Stony Brook

ooof

POD Knows
August 12th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Tough to argue with any of that as a PL fan. The only weird thing is that I feel that HC and Fordham are recruiting as well as we ever have at least in terms of ratings on guys being brought in. I know ratings aren't everything but there does seem to be a disconnect between the talent we think we're bringing in and our OOC performance. One thing that sticks out to me is the no redshirting rule. I remember playing UNH in the playoffs and their line was made up of redshirt Jr and Srs as the general rule I was told is that they try to redshirt all freshmen there. It really made it a man v boys game on the lines that not even a talent like Chase Edmonds could make up for. Otherwise we need to start performing in the OOC before we'll ever get respect again and, I have to say that our schedule scares the crap out of me this year. First four games ...

Nebraska
Monmouth
Florida Atlantic
Stony Brook

ooofDude, if you guys all of those games, you will be #1 in the FCS, hell, you might sneak into my top 10 if you win a couple of them. Good luck, we will be praying for you. :D

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2021, 02:20 PM
It was a great play call, what are you talking about. It worked :D, I thought I was going to get beat to death with some type of medical device on the way out of the stands.

I’m talking about that game last year when he went for 2

Fordham has a pretty good QB by the way, looked good against Holy Cross last spring

Monmouth would be a nice OOC game for Delaware

MUHAWKS
August 12th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Nebraska
Monmouth
Florida Atlantic
Stony Brook

ooof

I am not looking forward to playing you. I know I sound like a scared b*thc but these are the games that scare me the most- Fordham has come very capable players and a very good QB and being a local team prob sick of hearing that MU is good etc. Not to mention these have been good games the last couple- sort of, I actually think you took it to us at your place a few years ago..Either way, hoping to see you hang with Nebraska somehow-

Daytripper
August 12th, 2021, 06:45 PM
I don't see why you guys can't run the table and get a playoff seed...as long as the "Muskett Rifle" (trademark pending) stays healthy.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2021, 07:13 AM

Nebraska
Monmouth
Florida Atlantic
Stony Brook

ooof

Stony Brook was a bad Football team this spring, trending down

You can beat this team

Fordham
August 13th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Dude, if you guys all of those games, you will be #1 in the FCS, hell, you might sneak into my top 10 if you win a couple of them. Good luck, we will be praying for you. :D
haha. Not expecting to make an appearance in your ballot. Just hoping that we can get stronger through an opening 4 game stretch like that v getting devastated mentally by it.

BigBlueMU
August 13th, 2021, 01:32 PM

I am more worried about the Princeton game than I am any of the PL games if that tells you anything.

BigBlueMU
August 13th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Hello Everyone- First post since last season but been following along a bit. Obviously as a Monmouth fan, I and everyone else around the program are excited for this year. I b*tched a lot last couple years about not getting respect (and def understood most of it was b/c of how we fared against N. Iowa and JMU in both of our step up playoff games). Even beating Kennesaw badly 2 years in a row did not help as most feel they are perennially over rated. All good there, as it seems with our performance against Sammy in the playoffs and their winning the whole thing, we finally come INTO a season with real expectations from people not just in our program. That scares me a bit but only b/c I am a big believer in psychology and I like the underdog role but whatever this is good stuff and between our staff and senior led team I do not think any sort of mental breakdown is possible.

I was wondering what people think of our schedule (obviously just on paper) in terms of if it measuring up. The reason I ask is because I tend to still see the patriot league as way way down and even their best teams are not really powerful. I am not saying I am right, I am just basing it on what I have seen last few years. It seems that people around the Holy Cross program think they are a legit top 20 team and Fordham supposedly is decent. We play both teams. Also, Princeton is picked atop the IVY again and we all know that in a lot of the years the best IVY team is a legit tp 25 team perhaps much better. If we beat all 3 of those teams it will be "what we are supposed to do" but will the world give MU credit? We play all 3 teams relatively early in the season. And yes I am well aware how Princeton thrashed us a couple years back. Below is our full schedule. What do you guys think overall? "if" the IVy and Patriot leagues are good it makes this looks like a pretty tough road. But guys who cheer for teams in more power type conferences I cannot imagine think even a good patriot league team is as good as a bad team in their conference. Obviously we have an FBS game and even though MTSU is not very good (I dont think) we all know the deal. ANY fcs vs fbs counts as a tough game. Then we have the top 2 teams in patriot league with 1 maybe being pretty good, top 25 type. Princeton very well could be a top 25 team (every year the best team in IVY is ranked). After that we have our Big South fare which includes Kennesaw, North Carolina A&T (ranked) and what I see as a very tough North Alabama team who will probably surprise a lot of folks. The reason I am asking is for hypothetical purposes. Like, suppose we go 8-3 or 9-2 and DONT win the Big South and the 2-3 losses are to Kennesaw, Middle Tennessee and whoever but take care of Fordham, holy cross and Princeton. Is this schedule enough to be considered an at large and will last springs performance be enough for benefit of the doubt? I think we will beat Middle Tennessee and frankly am more scared of Princeton, North Alabama and Kennesaw. The reason I am scared of Kennesaw is revenge factor and Bohannon HAD to have made some changes. We know they have stellar athletes maybe they will change it up a bit. Clearly what they are doing does not work anymore consistently. Any thoughts/ comments?

Solid overall. I would put the opener at MTSU on scalp watch. Bottom half CUSA vs a top 10 FCS program is ripe for upset.

I wanted to attend the Fordham game on 20th anniversary of 9/11 in the Bronx but unfortunately, I will be out of town on business.

The NCA&T game in Greensboro is going to decide the Big South.

POD Knows
August 13th, 2021, 04:49 PM
haha. Not expecting to make an appearance in your ballot. Just hoping that we can get stronger through an opening 4 game stretch like that v getting devastated mentally by it.
If you come through that schedule with two wins, you should be rated in the top 25.

NY Crusader 2010
August 13th, 2021, 07:03 PM
I am more worried about the Princeton game than I am any of the PL games if that tells you anything.

Makes sense. You guys have more or less owned the Patriot League going back to about 2015. If I were to guess, Monmouth has won probably 11 of last 12 against the PL.

And your last game against Princeton in 2019, you guys lost by 6 touchdowns. But who knows what Princeton, or any of the Ivy will look like this year after so much time off. I'm sure the top 2-3 teams will be very strong but no one knows who those squads will be. Princeton seems to have been recruiting at a very high level since about 2010 -- so as long as that hasn't changed, they should be pretty good.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Makes sense. You guys have more or less owned the Patriot League going back to about 2015. If I were to guess, Monmouth has won probably 11 of last 12 against the PL.

And your last game against Princeton in 2019, you guys lost by 6 touchdowns. But who knows what Princeton, or any of the Ivy will look like this year after so much time off. I'm sure the top 2-3 teams will be very strong but no one knows who those squads will be. Princeton seems to have been recruiting at a very high level since about 2010 -- so as long as that hasn't changed, they should be pretty good.

Princeton beats Monmouth

Monmouth beats Stony Brook

Blue Waves Crest
August 14th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Expectations are sky high and deservedly so, the pressure is a privilege and I think this is a mature enough team and coaching staff that they’ll embrace it. I think Princeton was a lot better in 2019 than they are now and the inverse is true with Monmouth. It wouldn’t be totally off the wall for them to beat Middle Tennessee either. Gotta consider Kennesaw and NCA&T to be toss ups, but the team I see as a landmine is North Alabama. They have size and speed all over the field, it’s really a shame that the NCAA has their stupid rule preventing them from playing for a league title and playoff berth (also see Merrimack basketball 2019-20) because I think they’ll be the surprise team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libertine
August 14th, 2021, 07:11 PM
I know this might sound laughable to some but Nov 13 v. Robert Morris looks like a classic trap game for Monmouth, especially if the Hawks beat A&T. There's going to be a lot of noise around the KSU game to end the season but Tiger Clark is going to have that RMU defense on point this year. The Colonials' weak offense will keep them middle of the pack at best in the Big South standings but they'll be dangerous to anyone who looks past them.

Personally, I think that KSU is going to be on a little bit of a downward arc this year, enough to be a player in the conference race but, without some bizarre tiebreaker -- it is the Big South, after all -- I have KSU sitting at home for Thanksgiving. It'll be up to Monmouth and A&T to battle it out for the crown with everyone else after KSU fighting for the middle.

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Even funnier would be to say The Camels are the trap game sandwiched between Princeton and North Carolina A&T

BigBlueMU
August 16th, 2021, 08:13 AM

That's what scares me about Princeton, I see no in-between with them and have no idea where they are. I feel they will be stacked, rested and hungry after the long time off or really rusty and rebuilding this year.

Libertine
August 16th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Even funnier would be to say The Camels are the trap game sandwiched between Princeton and North Carolina A&T

Right in the middle of the conference season? Wouldn't that make the Camels the....hump game?

I'm so very sorry.

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2021, 09:33 AM
Right in the middle of the conference season? Wouldn't that make the Camels the....hump game?

I'm so very sorry.

haha good one!

Interesting that Campbell played four games last fall, all FBS opponents. I remember the QB looked good in those 4 losses

They had Georgia Southren beat

Watching them for a few Quarters I remember thinking this team looks much better than I expected

Libertine
August 16th, 2021, 01:44 PM
haha good one!

Interesting that Campbell played four games last fall, all FBS opponents. I remember the QB looked good in those 4 losses

They had Georgia Southren beat

Watching them for a few Quarters I remember thinking this team looks much better than I expected

I thought the same. Every week, they looked like world-beaters for a quarter and a half and then the wheels would just go flying off.

Blue Waves Crest
August 16th, 2021, 10:46 PM
Interesting that Campbell played four games last fall, all FBS opponents.

This could pay dividends for Campbell and North Alabama, having played an “FBS season” in 2020 while the rest of the conf played their spring 2021 FCS schedules. Neither had a real shot to win the league last year so it was low-risk high-reward and might put the Campbell and North Alabama programs in really good competitive positions

Libertine
August 17th, 2021, 12:35 AM
I'm just going to adjust this for ya here. :D

Thi$ could pay dividend$ for Campbell and North Alabama, having played an “FB$ $ea$on” in 2020 ... it was low-ri$k high-reward and might put the Campbell and North Alabama program$ in really good competitive po$ition$

Blue Waves Crest
August 17th, 2021, 08:50 AM
I'm just going to adjust this for ya here. :D

Haha! I was thinking mostly on the field but getting three or four paychecks along the way will also help those programs continue to grow

WestCoastAggie
August 17th, 2021, 09:14 AM
I hope and pray you all and my Aggies are undefeated in our FCS schedule, at least, going into our game Halloween weekend. I need both of us to be ready for that one.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 17th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Just wondering for you guys in the Big South how good was LB Ray Miller from Campbell who transferred to Maine? He has looked good in the first scrimmage from all reports, know he received some accolades while playing for Campbell. We needed some help at the LB position as well.

Libertine
August 17th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Just wondering for you guys in the Big South how good was LB Ray Miller from Campbell who transferred to Maine? He has looked good in the first scrimmage from all reports, know he received some accolades while playing for Campbell. We needed some help at the LB position as well.

Miller was fine I suppose but that's not necessarily a knock. It's hard to gauge the talent levels of individual players at Campbell because they've only been a scholarship program since 2018 and lack of quality depth has led to overall inconsistency. Good players look like great players when they have other good players around them and Miller didn't always have that.

NY Crusader 2010
August 18th, 2021, 01:23 PM
This could pay dividends for Campbell and North Alabama, having played an “FBS season” in 2020 while the rest of the conf played their spring 2021 FCS schedules. Neither had a real shot to win the league last year so it was low-risk high-reward and might put the Campbell and North Alabama programs in really good competitive positions

My prediction: UNA becomes a perennial Top 20 FCS program within the next couple of years. I think they'll hit the ground sprinting once they're fully eligible for conference titles and postseason berths.

Campbell is a smaller school but seem like they really want to make football a flagship component of the university. They easily could've become Presbyterian 2.0 but I see their program ultimately competing with the likes of Kennesaw, Mercer, Furman and Wofford.

walliver
August 18th, 2021, 02:53 PM
My prediction: UNA becomes a perennial Top 20 FCS program within the next couple of years. I think they'll hit the ground sprinting once they're fully eligible for conference titles and postseason berths.

Campbell is a smaller school but seem like they really want to make football a flagship component of the university. They easily could've become Presbyterian 2.0 but I see their program ultimately competing with the likes of Kennesaw, Mercer, Furman and Wofford.

Unlike PC, Campbell's program is well capitalized. They will put in the resources to make football successful. I also suspect they would leave the Big South for the SoCon or CAA at the drop of a a hat if the opportunity arose.

Katfan
August 18th, 2021, 08:18 PM
Monmouth will be fine

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 19th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Miller was fine I suppose but that's not necessarily a knock. It's hard to gauge the talent levels of individual players at Campbell because they've only been a scholarship program since 2018 and lack of quality depth has led to overall inconsistency. Good players look like great players when they have other good players around them and Miller didn't always have that.

Maine just had 2nd scrimmage and all reports Miller is making an impact. Here is article on him, wants to lead the country in tackles, awful nice goal, hope he accomplishes it. Thank-you Camels!!!

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/08/18/sports/umaine-sports/umaine-transfer-linebacker-wants-to-lead-the-country-in-tackles/

caribbeanhen
August 19th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Maine just had 2nd scrimmage and all reports Miller is making an impact. Here is article on him, wants to lead the country in tackles, awful nice goal, hope he accomplishes it. Thank-you Camels!!!

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/08/18/sports/umaine-sports/umaine-transfer-linebacker-wants-to-lead-the-country-in-tackles/

expecting a much better showing from the Black Bears in a few weeks, it’s not gonna be so easy this time!