PDA

View Full Version : Your Backup QB?

Cobblestone
August 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What if (God forbid) your starting QB goes down in the first game? How much confidence do you have in your backup QB(s)? Do you think he (they) can carry you to a winning season? Or do you basically think you're screwed?

Our starting QB, Derek Cassidy is fairly good and if he does go down I think we might be screwed. We only have one other QB with any game experience and I doubt he can carry the team very far.

How about the rest of you?

The Gadfly
August 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Coastal will be the same, if not better.

813Jag
August 14th, 2007, 11:32 AM
What if (God forbid) your starting QB goes down in the first game? How much confidence do you have in your backup QB(s)? Do you think he (they) can carry you to a winning season? Or do you basically think your screwed?

Our starting QB, Derek Cassidy is fairly good and if he does go down I think we might be screwed. We only have one other QB with any game experience and I doubt he can carry the team very far.

How about the rest of you?
Right now one of our backups was the starter at the beginning of last season. When he went down the team struggled. Our thrid QB that year finished the season well and had a good spring. All that being said if our starter went down I'd feel confident with J.C. Lewis in the game, but our running game has to be on point. (he's our best passer and least mobile of the QBs) I think our ability to establish a running game is more important that the QB. Hopefully the QB can just manage the game and not make mistakes.

UNHWildCats
August 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
You never know what can happen when you have an unknown QB having to step in.

In the NFL Tom Brady took over after Drew Bledsoe was nearly killed after a hit on the sideline. The Patriots went onto win 3 super bowls in 4 years under Brady.

The UNH Wildcats in 2004 saw its starter go down and in came Ricky Santos who not only led UNH to the playoffs, but is going to go down as one of the greatest FCS QBs of all time.

Even if you don't think your roster has a guy who can step in and win immediatly, you just never know.

GOKATS
August 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
The Cats have two seniors who virtually split starting time last year due to the starter being injured half way thru the season. I don't think it's been decided yet which one will start this fall, but we're in good shape either way. Neither of them saw much action in spring ball as both had shoulder injuries (non-throwing side). We had a RS Fr. take nearly all the snaps in spring ball so he also got some good experience.

Appaholic
August 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I have every confidence in our back-up, Trey Elder. He relieved Richie Williams in 2005 semis against Furman and delivered victory. He started last season and performed in a capable manner. With that being said, I must admit that while I think we would be successful and possibly still win the Southern Conference, I believe we need Armanti to win another NC. Trey could deliver, but I like our chances better Armanti....xthumbsupx

SunCoastBlueHen
August 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Should Joe Flacco go down (please Lord, no xprayx), Delaware would have to rely on Redshirt Fr. Sean Scanlon. As Mr. Scanlon has obviously never seen a down of real game action, he remains mostly an unknown quantity at this point. He is touted as being very quick, but with a much inferior arm to starter, Flacco. I imagine the Hens would have to greatly adjust their offensive game planning with Scanlon at the helm to include more option and QB draws. I'm sure Omar would also get an extra 10 carries per.

In a nutshell, if Flacco goes down Delaware's offense will likely suffer quite a bit.

bosshogg
August 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
should our starter go down, our back up is SC Mr. Football Malcolm Long, out of Gaffney High school......they ran pretty much an identical offense, and all indications from preseason camp are that he is doing well......they may have to simplify the ofefnse some, but I feel okay with him running it.

bobbythekidd
August 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM
If there is one postition on the entire team we could lose a player and not feel so much as a hiccup, it is at QB. We are 6 or 8 deep.xconfusedx

jstate83
August 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Ms State Transfer Rutland makes progress...........Pushes Oliver for starting QB position. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/SPORTS030101/708140386/1073/SPORTS)

Rutland makes progress as new QB in mix
By David Brandt
[email protected]
Season Opener
Who: Delta State at Jackson State
Where: Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium
When: Sept. 1, 6 p.m.

Jackson State quarterback Tray Rutland has been on campus for only a few months, but the sophomore gets ribbed by his teammates like an old friend.

As Rutland was doing an interview just after practice on Monday night, several of his teammates felt the need to chime in about his greatness.

"Tray Rutland's the best there ever was - a legend," shouts one player.

"I hope someday I can be like Tray Rutland," yells another.

Rutland, a Mississippi State transfer, just grins and claims his new teammates are crazy.

But there's no question he's fitting in well, both on and off the field.

"It's been even better than I imagined," Rutland said. "I've been out here getting ahold of the offense and having fun."

gr8ness97
August 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
out backup QB (Jared Dunston) transfered from Temple, and is fast (he played RB at Temple)...heard good reports of him passing and grasping the offense, but our starting QB would be a back-up anywhere else, so oh well...

carney2
August 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM
xconfusedx Lafayette has six contenders for the slot that was capably manned by Brad Maurer for most of the past three years. Until the coaches tell us otherwise, they are all backups.xconfusedx

AndrewFU21
August 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
While Furman fans certainly hope that Renaldo Gray's ankle holds up better this year than last, we do have confidence in our backup.

Jordan Sorrells is the son of the OC, and played significant minutes last year when Gray was down. In his first ever college game, he stepped in to lead the game winning drive against Jacksonville State, throwing a 20 yard TD in the last minute. He then had to come in against Coastal, and played fairly well, throwing a TD pass in the loss. He then started against Citadel and Chattanooga, throwing for 250 and 300 yards respectively. Against Chattanooga, he led a game tying drive in the last minutes, including a long completion on 4th down, then threw the game winning pass in OT.

My main concern is that our running game is definitely better with Gray, since we can run the option and be more varied in the running game in general. With Sorrells, the passing game is better, but the running game more vanilla.

I Bleed Purple
August 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I have no idea who the hell our starter is going to be, so I have no idea who the back up is going to be.

TheBisonator
August 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I've seen Nick Mertens practice, he's developing nicely. The only concerns I would have would be the actual first-game jitters. He has the physical talent, but I have no idea on the mental toughness.

EKU05
August 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Wake Forest transfer Allan Holland will back up 4 year starter Josh Greco at EKU for the second year in a row.

ElonPride
August 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Our starting QB went out before camp opened (academic reasons).

I have a ton of faith in our (now) starting QB, Donny Kirby. He was a HUGE recruit for us out of Virginia. He had 3601 passing yards and 40 TDs his senior season.

Apparently he was on the phone with Harvard about to give verbal.....and about that exact time, our coaching staff hit his doorstep.

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=500818

AggieFinn
August 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM
We've got two salty seniors just itching for action, so if either one (God forbid) has to come out for a while, there shouldn't be a big issue. Plough brings some size, arm strength and accuracy to the position, Engle brings mobility and playmaking. Alfaro and Denham could also make spot starts if necessary, gotta break 'em in at some point, though next season should be primetime for those two.

WrenFGun
August 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM
UNH has given Hank Hendricks quite a few snaps in the past, in routs, but I don't even know if he'll be the backup. RJ Toman was one of the better QB recruits in the nation (14th, I think) a couple of years ago, and I think he'd admirably step in. He's probably the starter when Santos leaves.

That said, he's not Santos, so yeah, we'd struggle.

Brad82
August 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cobblestone-@ Rhody the backup from Westport was three or four star recruit.
He won two state championships in H.S. with same offense.
What are recent reviews?

OL FU
August 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
While Furman fans certainly hope that Renaldo Gray's ankle holds up better this year than last, we do have confidence in our backup.

Jordan Sorrells is the son of the OC, and played significant minutes last year when Gray was down. In his first ever college game, he stepped in to lead the game winning drive against Jacksonville State, throwing a 20 yard TD in the last minute. He then had to come in against Coastal, and played fairly well, throwing a TD pass in the loss. He then started against Citadel and Chattanooga, throwing for 250 and 300 yards respectively. Against Chattanooga, he led a game tying drive in the last minutes, including a long completion on 4th down, then threw the game winning pass in OT.

My main concern is that our running game is definitely better with Gray, since we can run the option and be more varied in the running game in general. With Sorrells, the passing game is better, but the running game more vanilla.

Agree completely, The biggest difficulty is that we practice for Gray to be the starter. The offensive game plan has to change when Sorrells is in. That is disruptive. On the other hand next year when Sorrells is at the helm look for us to go to more of a passing game (understanding what that means at Furman of course)xsmiley_wix

Mountain Panther
August 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Marcel Jones, Minnesota transfer was Sanders' backup but apparently didn't like playing second fiddle so he split. Now it appears to be Pat Grace. 6'2" 235 and only a sophmore. Saw some action last year so I think he could carry the offense in the event of an emergency.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grace_pat00.html

CopperCat
August 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM
The Cats have two seniors who virtually split starting time last year due to the starter being injured half way thru the season. I don't think it's been decided yet which one will start this fall, but we're in good shape either way. Neither of them saw much action in spring ball as both had shoulder injuries (non-throwing side). We had a RS Fr. take nearly all the snaps in spring ball so he also got some good experience.

You beat me to it, but yes we will be in great shape at QB (especially with Svboda as QB coach!!).

Looks like Carpenter has been setting himself apart just a bit recently, so maybe he'll be the guy that gets the first snap of the season.

fuEMO
August 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Agree completely, The biggest difficulty is that we practice for Gray to be the starter. The offensive game plan has to change when Sorrells is in. That is disruptive. On the other hand next year when Sorrells is at the helm look for us to go to more of a passing game (understanding what that means at Furman of course)xsmiley_wix

From what I've seen in the pre-season Sorrells looks equal to Gray as a QB option. A lighter Gray is a major threat on the option, but Sorrells can still run the option offense and make wise decisions on pitches. The big upside on Sorrells is his passing skills he will be the perfect relief QB this season.

Cobblestone
August 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Cobblestone-@ Rhody the backup from Westport was three or four star recruit.
He won two state championships in H.S. with same offense.
What are recent reviews?

Obviously you're talking about D.J. Stefkovich. I know he came in with good numbers but he's not listed as the backup, instead John Butler is. Stefkovich is probably third on the depth chart and we've got a Freshman QB coming in as well. I guess the reviews aren't too good. Let's hope Cassidy stays healthy.

Cocky
August 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Our backup is a backup in name only. The HC doesn't not believe a QB should lose their position in practice. The backup will have to earn it during a real game. By year's end most people will know our back up QB.

AndrewFU21
August 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
From what I've seen in the pre-season Sorrells looks equal to Gray as a QB option. A lighter Gray is a major threat on the option, but Sorrells can still run the option offense and make wise decisions on pitches. The big upside on Sorrells is his passing skills he will be the perfect relief QB this season.

I hope that is the case but we certainly didn't see that from Jordan last year. With him in the game our running game was pretty much hand the ball off to Felton or Ced Gip; we didn't even run that many toss plays. I know Sorrells is a good athlete and has the speed to run the ball, but we will see.

I feel we are in very good hands at the QB position with Gray and then Jordan running the show in 08-09, and I hear Cody Worley is going to be a good one as wellxnodx .

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
For SHSU...we got Brett Hicks who had quite the season last year despite only starting eight games...

2006 - Honorable mention All-Southland Conference quarterback ... started eight games ... his 1,773 yards is the 11th highest season passing total in school history ... begins senior season ranked 20th in Bearkat career passing ... best game was 14 of 25 for 299 yards and three TDs including a 93-yard scoring strike in Northwestern State victory.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 14th, 2007, 11:05 PM
UNH has given Hank Hendricks quite a few snaps in the past, in routs, but I don't even know if he'll be the backup. RJ Toman was one of the better QB recruits in the nation (14th, I think) a couple of years ago, and I think he'd admirably step in. He's probably the starter when Santos leaves.

That said, he's not Santos, so yeah, we'd struggle.

Don't forget, Santos was certainly NO Granieri in the opinions of everybody (except Santos'). In fact, he was 5th string at the beginning of that Fall Camp back in 2004,... That's why you play the games, you just never know, ....