PDA

View Full Version : Jason Murrietta

Lumberjacks76
August 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Thoughts on this QB from NAU?

Paul

igo4uni
August 26th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I will wait to give my opinion on Mr. Murietta until he finishes his game in the Fabulous UNI-Dome later this year.

peace

igo4uni

IaaScribe
August 27th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Jason better have grown up in the offseason. His display during the Montana State game last year was abhorrent. He's on the sideline, yelling at coaches, players, anyone who will listen. Then he sulks like a little baby.

I don't think Jason is as good as 2003 showed ... he had excellent receivers and a great running game.

I don't hink Jason is as bad as 2004 showed ... without those receivers and protection from the O-line, he was hung out to dry on numerous occasions.

I think he's somewhere in between ... a pretty good I-AA QB, but not one who will challenge for the Payton Award.

Lumberjacks76
August 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Jason has a lot of talent. I hope he can lead NAU to a Division I-AA playoff berth. A record of 8-4 would be fantastic. In 2001, we went 8-4 and made the playoffs (losing to Sam Houston State 34-31). Josh McCown was the QB for State and he led them in the final minutes to a winning score.

From a source over at the Arizona Daily Sun it looks like Jason has more options on offense this year (e.g. better wide receivers). He's also got a much better O-line. If he can revert back to his 2003 numbers (3,472 yards passing, 29 TDs), NAU should be in great shape.

Here are my score predictions for NAU:

NAU 35, Adams State College 7
Arizona 38, NAU 21
NAU 42, Southern Utah 13
NAU 31, Weber State 24
NAU 36, Sacramento State 21
Eastern Washington 35, NAU 24
*NAU 28, Portland State 27
*NAU 35, Montana State 31
Montana 38, NAU 27
NAU 45, Idaho State 14
*NAU 30, Northern Iowa 27

* - swing game. Means game could go either way.

How NAU fairs on the road will largely determine their season. They play 6 road games this season (with 5 games at home).

I don't have any hope of NAU defeating Eastern Washington or Montana (even at home). The Jacks will probably earn some surprise road wins at Portland State and Montana State. But they, too, could be traps for the Lumberjacks (60-14 hurt last year).

I gave Adams State the benefit of the doubt on defense. They have the best defense in Division II and will limit NAU on offense even in the Skydome.

Against Arizona...well...Murrietta needs the game of his career to upset the Wildcats, plus some Arizona miscues of offense and defense. I think Arizona be better this year (maybe 5-6 or 6-5). Stoops is really doing a great job of rebuilding that program from scratch (cue John Mackovic drum roll).

The NAU game against Northern Iowa scares me. I see NAU getting frazzled in the last game with the pressure of securing a playoff berth on the line in front of a large and boisterous crowd at the UNI Dome.

I think UNI will be good this season. 8-3 or so.

Paul

IaaScribe
August 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Lumberjacks,
You be nice to my former co-workers over at the Daily Sun, ya hear? :)

Lumberjacks76
August 27th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I promise. :)

Question: If NAU ties for the Big Sky Conference Championship, do they receive an automatic berth into the playoffs, or an at-large berth?

I recall Montana State getting into the playoffs because they tied for the Big Sky Conference Championship.

Paul

IaaScribe
August 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I think it depends on tiebreakers. Montana State I believe won the tiebreaker that year because they beat UM and ISU and UM split against the two.

Marcus Garvey
August 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
He was a disapointment last year. Against Arizona, he looked very good. I thought NAU would have a good season.

I'll be watching him in 2 weeks when the Lumberjacks come to Tucson. I'm curious to see how he does.

Lumberjacks76
August 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM
If Jason plays like he did against Arizona last year, and his receivers catch his passes, Arizona could be in for an interesting evening.

Paul