PDA

View Full Version : Despite NCAA decision, JSU researching continues

CSN-info
August 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Despite NCAA decision, JSU researching going big time
The Birmingham News - al.com - Birmingham,AL,USA
The NCAA may have barred the door to its big-time football subdivision for now, but Jacksonville State officials said the Gamecocks are still going full-speed ahead with their study into moving up. ...
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186821285324080.xml&coll=2

Cocky
August 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
The moratorium will not interfere with the move in JSU's case. The plan will be to wait until the stadium expansion is finished which will take close to 4 years.

Sly Fox
August 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Ditto for our situation at Liberty. We might've been in position a year or so earlier than the new date but if we decide we are ready then 2011 gives us a date now to focus on.

BearsCountry
August 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Same thing at Missouri State as well.

Jiggs
August 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Isn't the point, though, that the requirements for moving up may be revised during the moratorium?

DFW HOYA
August 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
There'll be a dozen state-sponsored schools ramping up for a move in 2011. Knowing the I-A folks, expect somesort of catch to keep the floodgates closed.

Old Montana State Grad
August 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
There'll be a dozen state-sponsored schools ramping up for a move in 2011. Knowing the I-A folks, expect somesort of catch to keep the floodgates closed.

Also, expect folks like Doug Fullerton to strive for stability. He already looks like an arse over the way he handled the Dakota move and it's poetic justice in that they wound up un the Gateway.

Plus, you've got all the rumors coming out of Sacramento and Glanville and PSU has made it public they're going up. One or two more and the B.S. would lose their automatic bids status.

RaiderInTheZone
August 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Isn't the point, though, that the requirements for moving up may be revised during the moratorium?

That is correct. However, the changes in the subdivisions of Division 1 are expected to be minimal. It would be interesting if that 2011 year stands or if the NCAA could or would extend it?

Did you guys notice that Georgia Southern President Bruce Grube is the only one who voted against the moratorium? Not surprised despite the lethal opposition to move to 1-A by athletic director Sam Baker. Those two aren't on the same page.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/board_of_directors/2007/August/Report_Board_8_07.htm

Used its emergency authority to adopt Proposal No. 2007-10 – NCAA Membership – Division I Membership Moratorium. Intent: To specify that for a four-year period beginning August 9, 2007, no institution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process, no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process and no new single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership. [Vote: For 14 – Adams, Bantz, Barker, Brogan, Curran, DiGiorgio, Geoffroy, McFarland, Powell, Raines, Ray, Weber, White, Zimpher; Against 1 – Grube; Abstain 1 – Ribeau; Not present 2 – Bruininks, Rozanski – Effective Date: Immediate.]