PDA

View Full Version : Portland State Espn Article

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I dont think this has been posted already, but another nice article about Glanville and Portland State on ESPN today

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/columns/story?id=2967161

The author mentions the lack of a training table at PSU and his statement leads me to believe that he thinks a training table is for medical attention. How do these guys get jobs covering college football? A training table of course refers to special meals provided to the FB team to allow them to gain/keep on weight and eat properly-so they dont eat in the dining hall and have a diet of greasy cheesburger. That is what Glanville was talking about-- not a deficient athletic training staff.

Smendy
August 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Nice link, saw this yesterday at draftdaddy.com. They do a nice job adding FCS stories into their mostly FBS/NFL blog, so I read it frequently.

This is a real fascinating story, because Glanville has clearly stated his aim is to get the Vikings moved up to FBS and, realistically, he thinks he can he can get the program into the WAC, at some point.

My guess is Jerry and has NFL experienced coaching staff will do a great getting high school recruits and FBS transfers to P-State in the short term and they should be a real force in the Big Sky for quite a while.

But does Jerry have the staying power, particularly at his age, to stick with it, as far moving up?

Is he another Howard Schnellenberger that will take the rough early years after going bigtime?

Casey_Orourke
August 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Jerry is hoping to institute a FEED A VIKING CLUB, where Jerry is seking donations from boosters to the Atheletic Department, but it is earmarked to improving the training table. As I understand it those who donate get a bumper sticker of something that says I FEED A VIKING.

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Jerry is hoping to institute a FEED A VIKING CLUB, where Jerry is seking donations from boosters to the Atheletic Department, but it is earmarked to improving the training table. As I understand it those who donate get a bumper sticker of something that says I FEED A VIKING.

Sounds like worthy effort. And their is no shame in not having a training table I dont think all that many FCS schools do. I remeber reading an article that said Cal didnt even have one before Tedford arrives.

Casey_Orourke
August 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Here is the article.....Maybe some of the other FCS can institute similar programs.

The PSU football coach is asking for donations for a training table to help keep his players fed

Thursday, August 09, 2007

JIM BESEDA
The Oregonian

Jerry Glanville was an assistant coach at Georgia Tech in the late 1960s and early '70s, and the way he remembers it, the Yellow Jackets' football program had unlimited resources.

"Guess what our budget was at Georgia Tech?" Glanville said. "We had no budget. We did whatever we wanted to do."

That's not even close to being the case at Portland State, an NCAA Division I-AA (or Football Championship Subdivision) program.

Without a major television contract to provide operating revenue and with the rising cost of tuition, student housing, travel and almost every other expense connected to college athletics -- regardless of the level -- the Vikings have to watch every dollar.

Glanville's arrival has revitalized interest in Portland State's football program and helped the Vikings' athletic department tap into a number of new revenue streams. But that doesn't mean Glanville has carte blanche.

He still must get the athletic director's OK on most things.

Sometimes there is money to spend. Sometimes there isn't. And when there isn't, Glanville still can get what he wants if he's willing to go out and raise the money on his own.

Take the "I Feed A Viking Club," for instance.

Glanville has put a new twist on a long-standing PSU donor program, hoping to raise funding for a training table -- a program that provides planned meals three times a day for athletes in training -- that is more extensive than anything the Vikings have enjoyed in recent years.

"If you don't have a training table," Glanville said, "your 280-pound defensive tackle ends up about 260 when you're trying to win the ninth game, because they don't eat like they would if they had a training table."

The Vikings' ninth game this season is at Big Sky Conference favorite Montana -- a game that will likely influence this season's league championship.

"We want these players to still be big when they're playing in Missoula," Glanville said.

PSU athletic director Torre Chisholm said perhaps the best thing about Glanville's project is that he "not only has embraced the need to deal with the football program, but he also looks at this as something that we should be doing for all our athletes.

"In a larger context, Jerry's goal is to eventually be able to set this up for at least all the fall sports. That's a little different. A lot of times you have coaches who worry about themselves and their programs only. So it's neat that he sees it more from a global perspective."

Glanville said he and PSU offensive coordinator Darrel "Mouse" Davis learned a hard lesson about players and their in-season diets two years ago as assistants at Hawaii. The Rainbow Warriors went to Wisconsin and lost 41-24 in the next to last game of the season -- and before Hawaii implemented a more extensive training table the next season.

"We were warming up pre-game, and Mouse says, 'When Wisconsin comes out, don't look,' " Glanville said. "I said, 'Moooouse . . . ' And he goes, 'Don't look.' Well, when anybody tells you that, you've got to look.

"So then I felt the stadium shake and I look and . . . holy cow, they were humongous. All of a sudden the scale was no longer balanced. Wisconsin was still large. It wasn't fair. They had been eating and we hadn't."

Glanville would like to avoid a similar situation with the Vikings, but he said he needs help. He's asking anybody who would like to contribute to write him a check for at least $250 or as much as $5,000 toward the cause.

It is a violation of NCAA rules for a booster to directly provide an athlete with meals or meal money. Glanville's idea allows supporters to make a donation to the football program, which he then earmarks for the training table.

"Feed a Viking" donors receive a window sticker that features the school's new spear logo and reads: "I FED A PORTLAND STATE VIKING!"

"I want it on your car's back window," Glanville said. "When someone pulls up real close behind you, they can't see a bumper sticker. I want people to be able to see, 'I Feed A Viking.'

"This will shock some people. I've never had anybody that I've talked to who ever said, 'No.' The people in the city have supported us probably more than anybody at the school thought possible. And I'm not talking about just Portland State alumni. Those people have been tremendous to me. But I'm talking about people that have never set foot on this campus who are helping our program, people that are interested in trying to help it be successful. That's what makes the job fun."

Cody Feakin, the Vikings' 6-foot-6, 295-pound senior right tackle, said the menu at mealtimes hasn't changed significantly since last season. The biggest difference from a year ago is that the team eats after practice instead of before.

"Last season, a lot of guys would eat, come out and throw up, or they wouldn't eat as much," Feakin said. "What will probably help me and other guys maintain or gain weight is practicing in the morning and then eating right after practice. We get back everything we lost right away.

"It's a good thing for me, because it's all I can eat, and that helps me keep my weight up."

Notes:

The Vikings turned down an opportunity to move the starting time of the Sept. 1 opener against McNeese State in Lake Charles, La., from an 8 p.m. Eastern start to an afternoon start that would have allowed the game to be televised nationally. "Television cannot make me bring those kids out there at noon," Glanville said. "It would be like playing in a swimming pool. That's how much you'd sweat." . . .

Glanville has been impressed with the work of his younger quarterbacks, including freshman Connor Kavanaugh. "Nobody told me Kavanaugh was left-handed," he said. "I was kind shocked. I thought, 'Man, I wonder if he can throw that well right-handed, too?' " . . . The Vikings, who sold 944 season tickets last season, said Wednesday morning that they had sold 2,676, according to marketing director Scott Herron.

Jim Beseda: 503-221-8380; [email protected]

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Nice Article, and it sounds strange but I can testify that it is very hard for the big guys to keep weight on during the season, I usually started the season at around 275-280 ate everything in site suring the season and still was about 260-265 by the end, a training table can have a big effect on a program.

Casey_Orourke
August 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sometimes there is money to spend. Sometimes there isn't. And when there isn't, Glanville still can get what he wants if he's willing to go out and raise the money on his own.

Take the "I Feed A Viking Club," for instance.

Glanville has put a new twist on a long-standing PSU donor program, hoping to raise funding for a training table -- a program that provides planned meals three times a day for athletes in training -- that is more extensive than anything the Vikings have enjoyed in recent years.

"If you don't have a training table," Glanville said, "your 280-pound defensive tackle ends up about 260 when you're trying to win the ninth game, because they don't eat like they would if they had a training table."

The Vikings' ninth game this season is at Big Sky Conference favorite Montana -- a game that will likely influence this season's league championship.

"We want these players to still be big when they're playing in Missoula," Glanville said.

PSU athletic director Torre Chisholm said perhaps the best thing about Glanville's project is that he "not only has embraced the need to deal with the football program, but he also looks at this as something that we should be doing for all our athletes.

"In a larger context, Jerry's goal is to eventually be able to set this up for at least all the fall sports. That's a little different. A lot of times you have coaches who worry about themselves and their programs only. So it's neat that he sees it more from a global perspective."

He's asking anybody who would like to contribute to write him a check for at least $250 or as much as $5,000 toward the cause.

It is a violation of NCAA rules for a booster to directly provide an athlete with meals or meal money. Glanville's idea allows supporters to make a donation to the football program, which he then earmarks for the training table.

"Feed a Viking" donors receive a window sticker that features the school's new spear logo and reads: "I FED A PORTLAND STATE VIKING!"

"I want it on your car's back window," Glanville said. "When someone pulls up real close behind you, they can't see a bumper sticker. I want people to be able to see, 'I Feed A Viking.'

"This will shock some people. I've never had anybody that I've talked to who ever said, 'No.' The people in the city have supported us probably more than anybody at the school thought possible. And I'm not talking about just Portland State alumni. Those people have been tremendous to me. But I'm talking about people that have never set foot on this campus who are helping our program, people that are interested in trying to help it be successful. That's what makes the job fun."

Jim Beseda: 503-221-8380; [email protected]

What amazes me is the fact Jerry is willing to share the money with all fall sports and not hoard it all just for the football program. I think it just shows how much he wants the school as a whole to succeed in its quest to become a national power.

What is even more amazing is that the city is stepping up. Portland in the past has primarily focused on Oregon and Oregon State as the states college teams and has not paid much attention to PSU. I can say that in the short time Jerry has been there he has been nothing short of amazing.

Now he needs to deliver on the field, and I believe he can.

JALMOND
August 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
It is amazing what all Glanville has done to revitalize PSU football within Portland. Realistically, though, I think after this year, Glanville will experience firsthand exactly what kind of football is played in the Big Sky and FCS and the idea of moving to the WAC, however enticing, will be quite a chore. Glanville might actually enjoy the "smallness" of FCS football in his glory years. PSU's facilities and sports, including football, have miles to go before they are even close to the WAC, and dealing with a cash-strapped state education system with priority given to Oregon and Oregon State in all matters, could mean a move to the WAC is 10-15 years at best for Portland State. The Big Sky and FCS is by far not a bad system, Walsh found out after a year or two and I think Glanville will be the same. Still, you gotta give credit to Glanville for bringing all of PSU's athletics (not just football) to the same level as the rest of the Big Sky. My opinion, you all will have to deal with Portland State for the next 15 years at least.

Tod
August 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
It is amazing what all Glanville has done to revitalize PSU football within Portland. Realistically, though, I think after this year, Glanville will experience firsthand exactly what kind of football is played in the Big Sky and FCS and the idea of moving to the WAC, however enticing, will be quite a chore. Glanville might actually enjoy the "smallness" of FCS football in his glory years. PSU's facilities and sports, including football, have miles to go before they are even close to the WAC, and dealing with a cash-strapped state education system with priority given to Oregon and Oregon State in all matters, could mean a move to the WAC is 10-15 years at best for Portland State. The Big Sky and FCS is by far not a bad system, Walsh found out after a year or two and I think Glanville will be the same. Still, you gotta give credit to Glanville for bringing all of PSU's athletics (not just football) to the same level as the rest of the Big Sky. My opinion, you all will have to deal with Portland State for the next 15 years at least.

I hope you're right. I hope Jerry hangs around, too. :) :) xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
August 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM

I think this is a realistic assessment, not just for PSU, but for all schools with FBS hopes & dreams. There are an immense amount of factors that determine whether an athletic program can survive at a higher level.

In addition, I think Portland St. will have to completely finish a new basketball arena before any higher conference will even think about adding them. The 3 main high schools in Missoula all have as big or bigger arenas than the Stott Center.

Mountain Panther
August 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I hope you're right. I hope Jerry hangs around, too. :) :) xthumbsupx

Can't believe he is 65....I would have guessed younger.

Ronbo
August 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Montana's practice schedule on 1 a day.

7:00 am breakfast
9:30 am position meetings
11:00 am walk through
12:00 lunch
2:30 practice
6:00 dinner
7:30 ST meeting
8:00 position meetings
9:00 walk through

2 a day

7:00 am breakfast
11:30 am lunch
6:00 dinner

I'm pretty sure we feed the hogs throughout the season.xnodx

Casey_Orourke
August 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I think this is a realistic assessment, not just for PSU, but for all schools with FBS hopes & dreams. There are an immense amount of factors that determine whether an athletic program can survive at a higher level.

In addition, I think Portland St. will have to completely finish a new basketball arena before any higher conference will even think about adding them. The 3 main high schools in Missoula all have as big or bigger arenas than the Stott Center.

I agree about the basketball arena. At first I think the assumption was that PSU would get use of either Memorial Collisium or the Rose Arena as long as it was not scheduled for any previous events, but that soon fell by the wayside. Right now since PSU is on the edge of the downtown core of Portland, space is an issue. I think there are some areas in the university district that PSU is looking to acquire which would be a good place for a basketball arena near the streetcar and parking garages. As for a new football arena..... a few years ago then city mayor Vera Katz hatched a what was then cockamamie scheme to cap a stretch of interstate highway near PSU and build over it. Now, given the success of similar projects around the country (or at least that is what I heard). Such a space would be an ideal area for a new football arena, if the city was willing to share. If JG has anything to do with it I think he could pretty much ramrod anything just by his very force of presense and make everybody think it not only is a good idea (WHAT IS GOOD FOR PSU IS GOOD FOR THE CITY), but why didn't we think of it first.

89Hen
August 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Still, you gotta give credit to Glanville for bringing all of PSU's athletics (not just football) to the same level as the rest of the Big Sky. My opinion, you all will have to deal with Portland State for the next 15 years at least.
That's a bit premature, no? And do you think Glanville will be around in 5 years let alone 15? xeyebrowx

putter
August 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Nice article and press for PSU. Disappointed that he keeps focusing on the Griz. Take care of business for the first 8 games and then talk about the Griz during that week.

Ronbo
August 13th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Weber's Ron McBride last year called the Griz game their Super Bowl. I get the feeling all the Big Sky coaches feel that way.

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I dont think this has been posted already, but another nice article about Glanville and Portland State on ESPN today

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/columns/story?id=2967161

The author mentions the lack of a training table at PSU and his statement leads me to believe that he thinks a training table is for medical attention. How do these guys get jobs covering college football? A training table of course refers to special meals provided to the FB team to allow them to gain/keep on weight and eat properly-so they dont eat in the dining hall and have a diet of greasy cheesburger. That is what Glanville was talking about-- not a deficient athletic training staff.

Portland State also has no training table to help properly feed its athletes, something Glanville is working to change.

Did he change the article, or did you misread it?

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Nice article and press for PSU. Disappointed that he keeps focusing on the Griz. Take care of business for the first 8 games and then talk about the Griz during that week.

Again, did they rewrite the article? I didn't see a single comment from Jerry regarding the Griz.... xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Ronbo
August 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Again, did they rewrite the article? I didn't see a single comment from Jerry regarding the Griz.... xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Apparently the link took me to a different article. I've read it three times and I do NOT see those quotes in the article. xeyebrowx

Franks Tanks
August 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Apparently the link took me to a different article. I've read it three times and I do NOT see those quotes in the article. xeyebrowx

It was edited after the original post for some reason. I posted the link early on last Fridat morning, and according to a note at the top of the screen it was edited on about 11:30 that evening Eastern time

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
It was edited after the original post for some reason. I posted the link early on last Fridat morning, and according to a note at the top of the screen it was edited on about 11:30 that evening Eastern time

Apparently somebody got to the author after the fact about the "facts" in his article. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

putter
August 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Good thing I am a patient person AZ or I would have had to give you a good cyber-slap!! :D McBride called the Griz game the SuperBowl and when Glanville was hired he said he wanted to beat the Griz. Now he says that he wants to be big when they come to Missoula. What about the NAU game or the Eastern game? I just think focusing on one game is the reason the Big Sky falls short at playoff time.

89Hen
August 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I just think focusing on one game is the reason the Big Sky falls short at playoff time.
xeekx Holy crap, I just coughed up my soda. :p

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Good thing I am a patient person AZ or I would have had to give you a good cyber-slap!! :D McBride called the Griz game the SuperBowl and when Glanville was hired he said he wanted to beat the Griz. Now he says that he wants to be big when they come to Missoula. What about the NAU game or the Eastern game? I just think focusing on one game is the reason the Big Sky falls short at playoff time.

Oh, I don't doubt he's obsessing about the Griz, putter. Hell, even the East Coast teams obsess about the Griz. But I just didn't see it in THAT article.

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
xeekx Holy crap, I just coughed up my soda. :p

What, that Griz fans are man enough to admit it, or that SoCon fans aren't? xlolx xlolx xlolx ;)

89Hen
August 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM
What, that Griz fans are man enough to admit it...
fans? xeyebrowx :p

AZGrizFan
August 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
fans? xeyebrowx :p

why I oughta..... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx