PDA

View Full Version : Was there an NEC Media Day?????

Ruler 79
August 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I have not seen anything about this. Was there a prediction etc. Coverage of FCS this year outside of the big programs(you know who you are) is poor.

UAalum72
August 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Last year's preseason picks weren't announced until August 15.

aceinthehole
I have not seen anything about this. Was there a prediction etc. Coverage of FCS this year outside of the big programs(you know who you are) is poor.

The NEC doesn't have a true "media day" or at least they haven't in the past. The NEC usually does a conference call with all the coaches for statements and allows a few press questions.

On that day the NEC issues press releases about pre-season poll and teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
Blame the conference leadership - I haven't heard anything about any event, and the website doesn't have up-to-date guides or anything.

I don't think they hold one.

89hen, you're a part of the "old guard" - isn't that in the NCAA bylaws? "To qualify for an autobid, a conference MUST have at least five years of media days..." :D

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Blame the conference leadership - I haven't heard anything about any event, and the website doesn't have up-to-date guides or anything.

I don't think they hold one.

89hen, you're a part of the "old guard" - isn't that in the NCAA bylaws? "To qualify for an autobid, a conference MUST have at least five years of media days..." :D

LFN - the NEC has done a fine job ever year. Its too expensive (and little interest) to gather all the press, coaches and key players in person for a "press conference." The NEC will post an updated media guid previewing all teams, rosters, players pics, etc. They even post audio from each coach.

The NEC media regulars - NB Herald, Hartford Courant, Albany Times-Union, Asbury Park Press, Staten Island Advance, Pitt Tribune, Connecticut Post - will cover the press releases and their respective teams. Its as much media as the PL gets!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
LFN - the NEC has done a fine job ever year. Its too expensive (and little interest) to gather all the press, coaches and key players in person for a "press conference." The NEC will post an updated media guid previewing all teams, rosters, players pics, etc. They even post audio from each coach.

The NEC media regulars - NB Herald, Hartford Courant, Albany Times-Union, Asbury Park Press, Staten Island Advance, Pitt Tribune, Connecticut Post - will cover the press releases and their respective teams. Its as much media as the PL gets!

I'm not blaming the NEC for not having a media day. I understand that some conferences choose not to have one, and it's their perogative. Is it worth it for the Pittsburgh Tribune to take a six hour trip to (say) Monmouth to cover a media day?

Again, though, I see the word "little interest" bandied about without much backing up that statement. How do you know that? How many NEC fans would enjoy reading interviews about their players, coaches, and conference leadership in August? You would, right?

Just because something is not reported doesn't mean there's no interest in something.

I'm biased - I've been to Patriot League Media Day and not only is it a fun event for me, this year I got 4 blog postings and a CSN column about it. I think it could be that way for a lot of other schools too.

Mr. C
August 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Most conferences DO host media days. I have attended six of them (every one I could physically get to) in the past month. The Patriot League held their media day last week and had a fine turnout of reporters. I don't see why the NEC couldn't do the same thing.

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm not blaming the NEC for not having a media day. I understand that some conferences choose not to have one, and it's their perogative. Is it worth it for the Pittsburgh Tribune to take a six hour trip to (say) Monmouth to cover a media day?

Again, though, I see the word "little interest" bandied about without much backing up that statement. How do you know that? How many NEC fans would enjoy reading interviews about their players, coaches, and conference leadership in August? You would, right?

Just because something is not reported doesn't mean there's no interest in something.

I'm biased - I've been to Patriot League Media Day and not only is it a fun event for me, this year I got 4 blog postings and a CSN column about it. I think it could be that way for a lot of other schools too.

Let me be clear there is little interest in "traveling to Somerset, NJ for a in-person media day."

Certainly, I wish there was a desire to do this, but as you pointed out, the cost for the teams to travel (and miss valuable practice/planning) time is not worth it.

As you can see there is interst from NEC fans, just look at the representation on this board - UA, CCSU, Monmouth, RMU, Wagner, even SFPA. I haven't seen a Sacred Heart poster.

Finally, the NEC may have a late "media teleconference" compared to most other conferences. But check out the website - they have alwasy put togeather good info (media guide, team previews, rosters, coach quotes, etc). I see no reason that this year would be any different and in fact the site has just posted that Tue, Aug 14 they will release the polls and previews and will likely hold the teleconference.

2006 Online NEC football guide - http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/8/23/fb_onlineguide06.asp?path=fball
NEC Media coverage - http://www.northeastconference.org/Sports/general/2005/nec-newspapers.asp

Cobblestone
August 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hopefully with our new A.D. we'll be able to participate in any media day you guys have next season.

downbythebeach
August 8th, 2007, 01:21 PM
^^^^ I hope so.....we'll take you over Bryant or whatever their name is

Seawolf97
August 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hopefully with our new A.D. we'll be able to participate in any media day you guys have next season.

Thoughts about dropping out of the CAA? You would definetly enhance the NEC as another top tier team. xnodx xnodx

Dane96
August 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM
And if SBU came to its senses...they would come back...and then we can get this AE football thing started by announcing CCSU as our 10th member...and having a base of URI, UNH, MAINE, ALBANY, STONY, and CCSU....to get the ball rolling for what we all believe is on the horizon.

PROACTIVE!

Seawolf97
August 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM
And if SBU came to its senses...they would come back...and then we can get this AE football thing started by announcing CCSU as our 10th member...and having a base of URI, UNH, MAINE, ALBANY, STONY, and CCSU....to get the ball rolling for what we all believe is on the horizon.

PROACTIVE!

I couldnt agree morexthumbsupx

bigsouth39
August 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
The NEC has announced that they will announce the previews and polls on August 14th