PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lumberjacks upset Arizona?

Lumberjacks76
August 26th, 2005, 04:09 AM
After watching NAU play Arizona last season in Tucson, I am convinced that the Lumberjacks can upset the I-A Wildcats with Jason Murrietta at QB. He's the real deal. I really think NAU has a chance in this one to pull off the upset.

dbackjon
August 26th, 2005, 09:07 AM
After watching NAU play Arizona last season in Tucson, I am convinced that the Lumberjacks can upset the I-A Wildcats with Jason Murrietta at QB. He's the real deal. I really think NAU has a chance in this one to pull off the upset.

Welcome to a fellow Lumberjack!!

If we don't wear down like we did last year, we have a decent shot. From reports, Murrietta is looking closer to his freshman form that last year - if that can translate to the field, then we are going to have a good season.

DaGriz
August 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I think it depends on which NAU and Murrietta shows up this year. I think NAU has the talent. I think if NAU does win it will turn a lot of in-conference heads early. Nobody will be overlooking you.

Lumberjacks76
August 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yes, I hope so. Division I-AA playoffs and a couple of wins while we're there. :)

I was at that game in Tucson last year. We got soaked by the rain heading to the stadium. But it was still a lot of fun. As an Arizona State Sun Devils football fan since birth, as well as an NAU graduate, it was super sweet to see the Jacks hold the Wildcats to just 7 points entering the 4th quarter. In fact, NAU was only down 7-3 and Roger Robinson had just run to the UofA 13 yard line. But thanks (or no thanks) to a bogus taunting penalty, the Jacks moved back several yards and on the next play Kory Mahr took a massive hit and fumbled. End of game.

I really and honestly believe this is the year the Lumberjacks break their 12-game dry spell against Division I-A competition. Their last victory against a Division I-A squad came against Tulsa in 1987 (a 24-20 victory).

Paul

Proud Griz Man
August 26th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Welcome to a fellow Lumberjack!!

If we don't wear down like we did last year, we have a decent shot. From reports, Murrietta is looking closer to his freshman form that last year - if that can translate to the field, then we are going to have a good season.

How tough/fast is NAU's defense this year? It seems like you always have talent on offense, but give up lots of points.

Lumberjacks76
August 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Bruce Branch is back for what seems like his tenth season. K.J. Gerard is back at defensive back. The D-line has two veterans back. The safeties are solid this year. The weakness seems to be at the LB spot, where the Jacks will try to fill the holes with transfers and new players.

If the Jacks give up between 250-280 points for the season, I'll be happy.

Paul

GannonFan
August 26th, 2005, 12:04 PM
The Jacks are so Jekyll and Hyde that really anything is possible. I wouldn't bet on a win but will be rooting for it - if the right NAU team shows up it's definitely possible.

Chi Panther
August 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Looking forward to NAU coming up to the DOME in CF this year!

Good Luck on the Season and pull out a W in Tucson!

DaGriz
August 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Did Robinson graduate? If so who is your new running back?

Retro
August 26th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I listen to that NAU / Arizona game last year (xm radio) on the way back from Mcneese / Southern and NAU had many opportunities to win, but never caught a break and i think the officiating didn't help either..

Murrietta needs to fire away at arizona early and put them on their heels!

DuckDuckGriz
August 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Did Robinson graduate? If so who is your new running back?

I think their new one is a guy named Philo Sanchez. Smaller with bursts of speed. Can Jack fans confirm this?

Lumberjacks76
August 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM
There's Philo Sanchez and someone else. I can't remember his name right now. He's a transfer, I think.

Paul

IaaScribe
August 27th, 2005, 01:57 AM
As I said on the other thread, Arizona will roll NAU. It won't be close.

Ryan Williams is another senior competing for time with Philo Sanchez. Philo is tiny, but the kid is scrappy and runs with a lot of heart. He played prep ball in Tucson, so he'll be pumped. But it won't matter. NAU has ZERO shot of winning this game, and maybe less than a 20 percent shot of keeping it within two TDs.

grizzpaw
August 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM
hoping you beat ua, but like us (oregon)its an uphill battle. looking forward to go down their(or should i say up their). had a great time two years ago!

Lumberjacks76
August 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, most PAC-10 teams don't take any mercy on Division I-AA schools. ASU creamed Eastern Washington one year 38-2. Oregon State pounded NAU 45-10. ASU defeated NAU 34-14 (not that close, really). UofA defeated NAU 21-3. etc.

Montana did defeat Oregon State several years ago, though.

And Portland State destroyed Hawaii 45-20 about 5 years ago.

Paul