PDA

View Full Version : Do any of your yearly games have defining characteristics?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Just thought this might be an interesting off-season thread...worth a try...

It might be due to the styles of coaching and the offensive and defensive schemes or maybe I'm just superstitious but it seems that year after year games with certain conference opponents usually have the same "personalities" to them. The main ones I can think of like this on GSU's conference schedule is Furman and Appalachian State.

GSU vs. Furman

-There is always at least one controversial call by the referees and they usually make a big difference in the game (well, that has nothing to do with coaching but it seems this happens with Furman games more than any other game)
-Big special team plays and special team blunders usually make a big difference in the game
-A lot of three-and-outs by both teams, and the scoring drives are long and drawn out (i.e. long touchdown plays are less common)
-low scoring second halves.
-both teams seem to save all of their trick plays for this game

GSU vs. App State

-It's a very physical game (big hits, players limping off the field, and personal foul penalties)
-Comebacks don't ever seem to happen - the team that wins it wasn't behind for the entire game
-More points seem to be scored and yards gained from screw-ups from the other teams defense rather than good playing by the offense.
-Both coaches and quarterbacks seem to take a lot of big risks

813Jag
August 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Just thought this might be an interesting off-season thread...worth a try...

It might be due to the styles of coaching and the offensive and defensive schemes or maybe I'm just superstitious but it seems that year after year games with certain conference opponents usually have the same "personalities" to them. The main ones I can think of like this on GSU's conference schedule is Furman and Appalachian State.

GSU vs. Furman

-There is always at least one controversial call by the referees and they usually make a big difference in the game (well, that has nothing to do with coaching but it seems this happens with Furman games more than any other game)
-Big special team plays and special team blunders usually make a big difference in the game
-A lot of three-and-outs by both teams, and the scoring drives are long and drawn out (i.e. long touchdown plays are less common)
-low scoring second halves.
-both teams seem to save all of their trick plays for this game

GSU vs. App State

-It's a very physical game (big hits, players limping off the field, and personal foul penalties)
-Comebacks don't ever seem to happen - the team that wins it wasn't behind for the entire game
-More points seem to be scored and yards gained from screw-ups from the other teams defense rather than good playing by the offense.
-Both coaches and quarterbacks seem to take a lot of big risks
It's always controversy when we play Jackson State in Baton Rouge. Brake lines getting cut, scoreboard malfunctions, etc. When we play in Jackson people parking all over and getting towed. xlolx

henfan
August 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Ever had an demented priest from an opposing team run over a pack of your fans? We have. That's civil compared to events on the field in the CAA.;)

In all seriousness, there are some great rivalries in the CAA like the ones you mentioned: UMaine-UNH, UMass-UNH, UDel-Nova, Richmond-W&M, JMU-W&M, JMU-UR, etc.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
And don't forget the growing rivalry between UD-JMU. The home team always seems to win lately... Sadly, that would mean it's your year. :(

When I first read your post I thought, "Is he talking about FJ?" the former campus priest i know well who we initiated into fraternity. Dude was about 6'5" and his height came in well for Beer Pong! He got a lot of material for Sunday mass at the fraternity. xrotatehx xnodx xoopsx :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Back on topic

I would summarize the CAA games as this: The team with the most points at the end of the game usually wins. :p

In all seriousness, I think most of the games come down to turnovers. If you take care of the ball and don't turn it over, you will have a good chance to win the game. Likewise, if your D can force turnovers, that team usually wins.

I can't say that there are typical screenplays (as in movies) for CAA games, just that the many rivalries create awesome gameday atmospheres across the eastern seaboard on Saturdays!

89Hen
August 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
For the Hens there are two teams in the CAA that OFTEN have very interesting games... Villanova and William and Mary. That's not to say we don't have good games with other opponents, but it's almost always a dogfight with them.

Delaware vs Villanova (Hens hold series lead at 20-19-1) recently...

1998 - Villanova, 34-31 (ot) (Hens up by 14 in fourth)
1999 - Villanova, 51-45 (ot) (Hens led by 21 with 9 to go)
2000 - Delaware, 59-42 (Hens were down 35-10)
2001 - Villanova, 19-14 (Hens fumbled twice inside Nova 15)
2002 - Villanova, 38-34 (Nova TD with 15 seconds left)
2003 - Delaware, 20-17 (Hens TD with 1 minute left)
2004 - Delaware, 41-35 (Hens were up 41-21)
2005 - Delaware, 38-13
2006 - Villanova, 28-27 (Hens were up 20-0)

The Hens have faced W&M twice in the playoffs AND the regular season with the loser winning the playoff game including the 2OT win by W&M in 2004 after being down

Games decided by one score or less...
1984 - Wm. & Mary, 23-21
1985 - Wm. & Mary, 17-16
1988 - Delaware, 38-35
1989 - Wm. & Mary, 27-24
1991 - Delaware, 28-21
1993 - Delaware, 42-35
1995 - Delaware, 23-20
1996 - Wm. & Mary, 10-7
1998 - Wm. & Mary, 52-45
1999 - Delaware, 34-27 (2 ot)
2001 - Wm. & Mary, 21-17
2002 - Wm. & Mary, 45-42
2004 - Delaware, 31-28
Wm. & Mary, 44-38 (2ot)
2005 - Delaware, 22-21 at W&M

letsgopards04
August 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Lafayette v Lehigh

-crazy tailgates (at least at Lafayette because they jam everyone into a small area)
-general Lehigh sucks chants
-offensive T-Shirts
-extremely loud crowd (now that Lafayette is good again)
-cold temps (its played the Saturday before Thanksgiving)
-inspired play (regardless of talent level, the guys play their hardest), a win against Lehigh can somewhat ease the frustration of a bad season

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
None I that I can think of...yet.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Same here. Colgate has not had such a rival since Syracuse went off the schedule. Cornell raises some passion, and Rutgers and Holy Cross did as well in the '70's and '80's, though RU is long gone from the sked and HC no longer has the impact on I-AA ranking that it once did.

Grizaholic17
August 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Montana-Montana State

Try to imagine an entire state shut down, glued to their televisions or at the game itself. Most certainly the largest event that takes place within the state.