PDA

View Full Version : What do your trainers do to combat the heat?

SuperJon
August 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'd be interested to see what different programs do to combat the heat and keep the players healthy. We've got a few things:

1) Each player was issued their own water bottle the size of the ones they use on the sidelines and they're required to keep the bottles on them at all times (except in practice when the trainers have bottles on the field).

2) We have a very large tent set up next to the field with water underneath it that, during the breaks, the players are required to sit under. Just sitting in this shade for 5-10 minutes can cool the core temperature down 1-2 degrees which helps a whole lot to avoid heat related injuries.

3) All players are required weigh in before practice and after practice. If the difference in weight is more than 3% of the before practice weight, the player can't practice again until he gets his weight back up (which generally can happen at the next meal). This helps prevent the players from losing too much weight during practices that they get into an unhealthy state.

Of course, we have the trainers with water and things like that during practice, but those are the things beyond the norm that we are doing.

McTailGator
August 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'd be interested to see what different programs do to combat the heat and keep the players healthy. We've got a few things:

1) Each player was issued their own water bottle the size of the ones they use on the sidelines and they're required to keep the bottles on them at all times (except in practice when the trainers have bottles on the field).

2) We have a very large tent set up next to the field with water underneath it that, during the breaks, the players are required to sit under. Just sitting in this shade for 5-10 minutes can cool the core temperature down 1-2 degrees which helps a whole lot to avoid heat related injuries.

3) All players are required weigh in before practice and after practice. If the difference in weight is more than 3% of the before practice weight, the player can't practice again until he gets his weight back up (which generally can happen at the next meal). This helps prevent the players from losing too much weight during practices that they get into an unhealthy state.

Of course, we have the trainers with water and things like that during practice, but those are the things beyond the norm that we are doing.

Our players do something very simular...

HYDRATION IS THE KEY!

dungeonjoe
August 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
When in Charleston, I saw where the Citadel has those giant freezers that you get bags of ice out of at the supermarket with two benches in them.

Players sit in them for a while--- or so i understand.

GOKATS
August 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
When in Charleston, I saw where the Citadel has those giant freezers that you get bags of ice out of at the supermarket with two benches in them.

Players sit in them for a while--- or so i understand.

In Montana we call that getting 'cold cocked'.xlolx

ButlerGSU
August 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The head index today in Statesboro was nearly 115 degrees. I'm not sure what our trainers do but they must be doing an excellent job of it to keep our guys from passing out.

BEAR
August 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
The Bear players are told to get off the field and throw up on the sidelines next to the pines..makes em grow a little taller...xlolx

th0m
August 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Move practices to the morning.

813Jag
August 8th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Fluids, Fluids, Fluids. Also they changed some practice times to the morning when it's not as humid.

CSUBUCDAD
August 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM
CSU is practicing at 7am and 3:30 pm every other day in full gear starting this Friday. On single practice days they start at 9:15 with scrimmages on Sun this week and Saturday next week at 2:30. They are not shying away from the heat a bit it doesn't look like. They do keep a very close eye on the guys and have a very good setup for keeping them hydrated and cooled with the AC hoses that slip down the back of the pads and misting fans.

McNeese75
August 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The Bear players are told to get off the field and throw up on the sidelines next to the pines..makes em grow a little taller...xlolx

xlolx Now that's Southland Football xnodx :D

SoCon48
August 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I was a trainer on a high school staff for many years. We did this every season starting in 1983.
Actually the weight usually goes back up after practice upon resuming his fluid intake..just like the marathon runners (even though they are constant drinking water and electolytes.

And the shade part. Many teams take the breaks in the shade. We always had containers of iced towels for them to put around their necks during breaks and they were allowed to remove their shoulder pads and jerseys during the long breaks.

SoCon48
August 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Actually as to "What do your trainers do to combat the heat?" many of the trainers themselves head to the air conditioned training room to rehab injured athletes during practice. :)