PDA

View Full Version : Task force offers goals for WCU football

CSN-info
August 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Task force offers goals for WCU football
Asheville Citizen-Times - NC,USA
CULLOWHEE — The Western Carolina football program needs about $300,000, better players, a recruiting coordinator and an atmosphere conducive to creating a winning culture.
And could you throw in a few wins?
Those are some conclusions of the WCU Football Task Force, a group formed in February by athletic director Chip Smith to help a long-struggling program find success. ...
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770803133

TheCatamount
August 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Yep, it seems like a big waste of time because everyone knows what the problem is : MONEY. But it is good that signs of change are coming

chattanoogamocs
August 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM
It took them 5 months to figure out they need more money and better players? Couldn't the average fan figure that out in like, uhhhh...5 seconds? ;)

youwouldno
August 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM
It's amazing how much people pay to be told the obvious.

catamount man
August 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM
It took them 5 months to figure out they need more money and better players? Couldn't the average fan figure that out in like, uhhhh...5 seconds? ;)

Believe me, it goes way beyond that. This has been a 20 year problem that reached its peak last season and I'm glad that at least our administration are, it seems anyway, ready to start helping football out. No smack, but with UTC's track record the last 20 years, maybe you guys need a universal look into your program?!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eyes of Old Main
August 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Was giving Briggs that extension listed as one of the problems?

I understand most of those points, but isn't the better players part a big slap at the current team as well as being very obvious?

chattanoogamocs
August 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Believe me, it goes way beyond that. This has been a 20 year problem that reached its peak last season and I'm glad that at least our administration are, it seems anyway, ready to start helping football out. No smack, but with UTC's track record the last 20 years, maybe you guys need a universal look into your program?!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not picking on WCU, if UTC decided to put together a big committee that spent 5 months and only came up with "we need to win more and we need more money"...I would still be on here saying say "well, duh" and a waste of time it was (and my original comment was not any different than the majority of the comments on the WCU message board).

What that committee should have done is spend about 5 minutes putting together that they needed more money and then spend the next 5 months actually coming up with plans that actually make more money to fund the recommendations. The hard part is not knowing what is needed, the hard part is coming up with the extra money to implement it (any school that consistently has a losing record probably needs more scholarship money, more recruiting money, more summer school money, etc).

WCU LawCat
August 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I understand most of those points, but isn't the better players part a big slap at the current team as well as being very obvious?

yeah it is a big slap in the face to the players....by our beat writer who slaps us in the face regularly. The truth is that we have some outstanding football players but not a ton of depth....which is where the need for a larger recruiting budget comes in.

The task force did look into more than just the problem. Solutions were suggested by the task force.