View Full Version : Walter Payton Award

lionsrking2
May 15th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Congrats to all those nominated, and to the three finalists (all deserving), but a special congrats to Cole Kelley on winning this year's award. Seeing him up close and personal every Saturday, he was a model of consistency while running an NFL style offense, and was at his best, against the best competition, all on the road. Against Sam Houston, Nicholls and Southern Illinois (all on the road), he was a combined 100-136, 1271 yards, 10 TDs, 0 INTs, rushed for 3 TDs and had another receiving. On the season, he led the nation with 27 total touchdowns (passing, rushing, receiving) and threw only four interceptions. All four were catchable balls that were dropped/deflected by our receivers and then intercepted. He just had a phenomenal spring and will be back in the fall for another go at it.

Here's what Southern Illinois Head Coach, Nick Hill, had to say about Cole right after our game:

"That was one of the best QB performances, stayin' in, whether I played and watched the other QBs or coaching that we've played against — whether it's, it's Flacco, Trey Lance, Carson Wentz — I mean, that kid was just an absolute warrior out there. He took more hits than I've ever seen a QB take, and just didn't even faze him. I went up to him after the game and the kid was just, ya know, smilin' and just a, a competitor."

"He was mad he didn't win the game ... I thought it was 90% (when told he completed 81%) ... the ones that were dropped, he had a couple of drops in there that were on the money, and uh, and it wasn't uh — our plan was to be overagressive — we had to come, I don't know how many times — I know that's not a stat we track, but we had to have hit him 20 times or more, and a couple of 'em, we had some of our best guys square him up and just deliver some blows to him and uh, yeah — he's 6-7, 260 pounds and he'll be a draft pick next year if he comes back to play for his senior year."

acbearkat
May 15th, 2021, 03:18 PM
It will be hard knowing the baseball series against Southeastern Louisiana is over unless we play in non conference. Matt Riser is an excellent baseball coach and Southeastern is lucky to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
May 16th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Well deserved. Kelley could do it in all phases of the game. Hope he gets to an NFL camp after he graduates. With his size, he might get drafted.

caribbeanhen
May 16th, 2021, 11:12 AM
The next Joe Flacco? There are some similarities

kdinva
May 16th, 2021, 05:14 PM
So proud, though, of the Keydets performance this Spring. Had Coaches & players in the top four of all the four awards categories.

lionsrking2
May 16th, 2021, 06:14 PM
The next Joe Flacco? There are some similarities

We'll see, but Cole has improved dramatically since the day he arrived on campus. We run an NFL style offense, and he has an uncanny ability to see the field and read defenses, makes quick, accurate decisions and has no fear in the pocket. He's got a big arm but throws an easy, catchable ball when needed but can also fit it into tight windows. He's completing a little over 70% for his career here at Southeastern and had several drops this spring, including all four interceptions. No QB is perfect but he was damn close against the best competition on our schedule. Frank Scelfo has coached several NFL QBs, both in college and the NFL, and he thinks Cole can definitely play on Sundays. We'll see how much he can improve this fall.

Anthony215
May 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Well deserved. Kelley could do it in all phases of the game. Hope he gets to an NFL camp after he graduates. With his size, he might get drafted.

Why wouldn't he return in the fall to try to improve his draft status. At this point with the NFL teams pretty much already having done signed UDFA along with their draft picks there will be very few camp invites for those who forgo the fall season and enter the supplemental draft or opt to hold out for a camp invite especially at premium positions like QB where teams only bring 3-4 to camp yearly anyways.

BEAR
May 17th, 2021, 08:40 AM

I doubt it. He didn't do much at a pathetic SEC program like Arkansas. I mean every year their fanbase screams they are natty bound yet win 2 games. Kid had nothing to lose at that level and had one game that went 16/35 for 185 yards with 4 INTs....against North Texas. Racked up a grand total of 455 yards that entire year with 5 INTs.

Sure playing Alabama, Auburn, and LSU aren't your typical FBS level teams...but they are NFL level kids all over those rosters so if Arkansas was willing to let him go, I don't see him excelling against NFL talent all over the field. Not a knock on him. I'm a fan of any kid who gets the boot from the PIGS. We've taken a few of them and they were talented. But as the season progressed into the SEC schedule, he got sparse playing time. He's a senior now and done well. But as I was told with Nathan Brown (10,558 yards, 100 TDs, Senior Bowl leading passer), "sure the kid's got talent and excels at the FCS level, but that's small school ball. The talent level is WAAAY different at the FBS level and even more at the NFL level. "

I hope he does get drafted, but he's got a HUGE uphill battle. xlolx

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/cole-kelley/#stats

acbearkat
May 17th, 2021, 08:50 AM
I doubt it. He didn't do much at a pathetic SEC program like Arkansas. I mean every year their fanbase screams they are natty bound yet win 2 games. Kid had nothing to lose at that level and had one game that went 16/35 for 185 yards with 4 INTs....against North Texas. Racked up a grand total of 455 yards that entire year with 5 INTs.

Sure playing Alabama, Auburn, and LSU aren't your typical FBS level teams...but they are NFL level kids all over those rosters so if Arkansas was willing to let him go, I don't see him excelling against NFL talent all over the field. Not a knock on him. I'm a fan of any kid who gets the boot from the PIGS. We've taken a few of them and they were talented. But as the season progressed into the SEC schedule, he got sparse playing time. He's a senior now and done well. But as I was told with Nathan Brown (10,558 yards, 100 TDs, Senior Bowl leading passer), "sure the kid's got talent and excels at the FCS level, but that's small school ball. The talent level is WAAAY different at the FBS level and even more at the NFL level. "

To be fair, Arkansas made a bad hire in Chad Morris, who is now the head coach at Allen High School here in Texas. The Razorbacks have made back to back bad hires in Bret Bielema (what were they thinking?) and Chad Morris.

BEAR
May 17th, 2021, 09:23 AM
To be fair, Arkansas made a bad hire in Chad Morris, who is now the head coach at Allen High School here in Texas. The Razorbacks have made back to back bad hires in Bret Bielema (what were they thinking?) and Chad Morris.

xlolx Yeah that's UAF for you!
Chad Morris, Bret Bielema, John L Smith, Bobby Petrino etc....they are pretty good at being bad. xlolx
Seriously not knocking the kid, but we've had a few SEC transfers at QB and they were pretty good but didn't pan out for the NFL level.

Daytripper
May 17th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Why wouldn't he return in the fall to try to improve his draft status. At this point with the NFL teams pretty much already having done signed UDFA along with their draft picks there will be very few camp invites for those who forgo the fall season and enter the supplemental draft or opt to hold out for a camp invite especially at premium positions like QB where teams only bring 3-4 to camp yearly anyways.

I don't mean soon. I just meant eventually.

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2021, 11:29 AM

He's a completely different animal rnow than he was at Arkansas and much better coached. More mature as a person, in much better physical condition and has been in the same system and same OC and head coach for two years in a row. We'll see how the 2022 draft works out but he's on good trajectory and I expect him to have another monster season in the fall.

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2021, 11:31 AM

He is coming back.

BEAR
May 17th, 2021, 08:09 PM
He's a completely different animal rnow than he was at Arkansas and much better coached. More mature as a person, in much better physical condition and has been in the same system and same OC and head coach for two years in a row. We'll see how the 2022 draft works out but he's on good trajectory and I expect him to have another monster season in the fall.

That’s great news! But I wonder how he will fit in the next draft class when the NFL took so many QBs this draft.

Daytripper
May 17th, 2021, 08:12 PM
That’s great news! But I wonder how he will fit in the next draft class when the NFL took so many QBs this draft.

Every team is looking for a developmental project who has high upside. Maybe spend a sixth or seventh round pick, or maybe as an undrafted free agent. I think he'll get a look.

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2021, 08:13 PM

Better than he would have in this class. 2022 is not QB deep as it stands now.