PDA

View Full Version : W&M Football facility upgrades/ photos.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Work in progress on the Jimmye Laycock Football Center, the new video scoreboard, and practice field. Zable Stadium is in the midst of ongoing improvements that are transforming the 73 year-old facility. The addition of lights, FieldTurf and a new track over the past two years were only the beginning.

The Laycock Center is the most significant, as the Football program will leave William & Mary Hall, and occupy its own, 30,000 sq. ft. home adjacent to the stadium.

http://tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2007/jlc0803/

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Come on.

Are you honestly telling me that there wasn't enough space on campus somewhere to move the track?

AZGrizFan
August 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Come on.

Are you honestly telling me that there wasn't enough space on campus somewhere to move the track?

And then what, genius? Move all the bleachers in? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

At that point you might as well tear the whole thing down and start over, and I don't think THAT was in their budget.

Try engaging your brain before you start typing. xsmhx xsmhx

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM
At that point you might as well tear the whole thing down and start over

Yep.

That's why they're tearing the Memorial Coliseum in LA down right now.

Guess they should've left the track right where it was since they couldn't move the seats any closer.

AZGrizFan
August 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yep.

That's why they're tearing the Memorial Coliseum in LA down right now.

Guess they should've left the track right where it was since they couldn't move the seats any closer.

When you want to donate the money to W&M feel free. Until then, I'm assuming they're operating under a slightly "different" budget.

Col Hogan
August 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Come on.

Have you ever been to the William & Mary Campus?

Nah, but still you ask the stupid question...

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Have you ever been to the William & Mary Campus?

Through google maps I was able to confirm that hey have a massive amount of land on both sides of Matoaka Lake to place a track on.

Col Hogan
August 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Through google maps I was able to confirm that hey have a massive amount of land on both sides of Matoaka Lake to place a track on.

Did the Google map tell you if the University owned it...is it environmentally sensitive...

Still haven't answered the question...Have you ever been to the W&M campus...

bisonguy
August 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Mention of a modular track system coming up in 3...2...1.....xwhistlex

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Did the Google map tell you if the University owned it

Yes.

It's shaded gray which means it's owned by the university.

Col Hogan
August 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Yes.

Is it flat...are building in that grey area...could it support a track...

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO W&M?????

ATrain
August 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I've been to W&M

Col Hogan
August 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Work in progress on the Jimmye Laycock Football Center, the new video scoreboard, and practice field. Zable Stadium is in the midst of ongoing improvements that are transforming the 73 year-old facility. The addition of lights, FieldTurf and a new track over the past two years were only the beginning.

The Laycock Center is the most significant, as the Football program will leave William & Mary Hall, and occupy its own, 30,000 sq. ft. home adjacent to the stadium.

http://tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2007/jlc0803/

Gotta apologize to you, Tribe, for not acknowledging the fine upgrades in Williamsburg before I jumped on an id#@*.

I'll be there for the game this year and will get to check it out myself...xthumbsupx

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Is it flat...are building in that grey area...could it support a track...

Money can make any area flat enough to support a track.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM

xlolx So your hatred of track-challenged stadiums is so deep you find yourself analyzing maps of our campus?xlolx "Massive amount of land"?

In our part of Virginia we don't have hills, we have ravines, and they tend to gather around lakes and waterways, and they are all environmentally sensitive. I wish the track were elsewhere too, but it's not, and it's not going to be. Even if it were moved, it's questionable whether the field could be dropped, which would be the only option to bring the stands closer to the field.

Next up are bathroom renovations. If you notice the light polls on the practice field side, they are set back from the grandstand, which will allow upward expansion of that side at some point.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Gotta apologize to you, Tribe, for not acknowledging the fine upgrades in Williamsburg before I jumped on an id#@*.

I'll be there for the game this year and will get to check it out myself...xthumbsupx

Thanks. We're pleased with the commitment of our current President to enhancing Zable, and supporting the program. The alumni commitment has also been great. Each of the improvements have been funded by small groups of alums, and it appears that will continue.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Even if it were moved, it's questionable whether the field could be dropped, which would be the only option to bring the stands closer to the field.

Who says they have to be closer?

Just get the track outta there.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Who says they have to be closer?

Just get the track outta there.

If you're not going to get the stands closer, what difference does it make? When the endzone bleachers are up, and pads down behind the benches, you hardly notice our track anyway.

This is a shot of the stadium during a game.

tribe_pride
August 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Yes.

As said before it is a protected area Even if it wasn't protected, good luck trying to build in that area. The woods are a part of the campus that very few if anyone in the area wants developed

Also, there is no where else to build a track on campus. Only place might be several miles away at Dillard but that would seem unfair and could detract from recruiting national caliber runners that the College has been able to get in the past.

ysuallthetime
August 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Sorry that Williamsburg and the surrounding area is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the east. The football stadium is within walking distance from one of the most historical areas in the United States. Freed land in that area is worth something, it's not North Dakota where you can look all 4 directions and see empty land.

Just because you have a strange fetish for stadiums without tracks doesn't mean William and Mary will invest millions for 2 differnt facilities when 1 will do just fine. Now if you have $10 million dollars that you wish to donate to The Tribe to make this possible I'm sure their AD would be happy to speak with you, until then I'm sure they will continue to have a track at their football stadium, and it will still be an enjoyable place to watch a college football game.

All the new stuff looks great! Send some pics when the new scoreboard is complete I'm sure it'll be nice.

JMUFortier
August 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
You all are making great progress on that facility. Congratulations. It's nice to see a conference mate make an investment like this.

Tod
August 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
It looks great! One of the only great things to talk about in the off-season is facility improvements. I like to see all FCS teams doing better and Bill and Mary is looking really nice. Congrats! :)