PDA

View Full Version : What I Like and Don't Like About the New Transfer Rules

acbearkat
May 5th, 2021, 08:54 AM
There's plenty to like about the new transfer rules. There's also plenty not to like. Here are the things I like and don't like.

Things I like:

A player no longer has to apply for a hardship waiver to be eligible to play right away
With a coaching change, if the player doesn't fit what the new staff is looking for, they can transfer without penalty
If a player has been passed up on the depth chart, he no longer has to wait to be a graduate transfer to be eligible right away

Things I Don't Like

Players will be more impatient and transfer out because they aren't getting playing like they thought they would (Justin Fields from Georgia to Ohio State for example)
A player will transfer because he's not willing to put in the work to become a starter
It will be harder to keep players happy and prevent them from transferring
Players will transfer and be immediately eligible and if they don't get playing at their new school, there's a chance they'll transfer again

I was listening some time ago to the Longhorn Blitz podcast, which is a podcast which primarily covers University of Texas football, and Rod Babers, a former UT cornerback under Mack Brown, said he believed if a player had not redshirted, they should have to sit out if they transfer, but if they had redshirted, they shouldn't have to sit out. To a certain extent, I agree with that. If a player transfers and redshirts and has time to learn the new offense or defense he is going into, I think that would be good for the player. Ultimately, it's up to the coaches to put the best players on the field on offense and defense. With some of these positions, such as running back, wide receiver/tight end, defensive backs, linebackers, defensive linemen, you can rotate those players out and get players playing time.

acbearkat
May 5th, 2021, 09:05 AM
One thing coaches need to be careful to do when recruiting players is not to make ridiculous promises which cannot be kept.

Hammerhead
May 5th, 2021, 09:20 AM
What happens to players who enter the portal and then don't get any offers they like? Are they just SOL unless their current school still wants them?

Puddin Tane
May 5th, 2021, 09:52 AM
What happens to players who enter the portal and then don't get any offers they like? Are they just SOL unless their current school still wants them?

they end up at western Illinois like 2 of our guys did!

Professor Chaos
May 5th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Things I Don't Like

Players will transfer and be immediately eligible and if they don't get playing at their new school, there's a chance they'll transfer again

An undergrad can only transfer once and be immediately eligible with this new rule. If they transfer again before they graduate I believe they'll be under the same restrictions as before (have to sit out a year unless they transfer down or they have to apply for and be granted a hardship waiver).

Daytripper
May 5th, 2021, 10:38 AM
An undergrad can only transfer once and be immediately eligible with this new rule. If they transfer again before they graduate I believe they'll be under the same restrictions as before (have to sit out a year unless they transfer down or they have to apply for and be granted a hardship waiver).

I think that is fair.