PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Spring Semifinal: Delaware @ South Dakota State

Professor Chaos
May 2nd, 2021, 11:06 PM
Kickoff is set for Saturday 5/8 at 11AM CT on ESPN.

Here's the team stats comparison:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51156034999_ee108a1861_c.jpg

I'll add additional details to this post as they become available but discuss away.

mmiller_34
May 2nd, 2021, 11:14 PM
Delaware wins. Won't even be close.

Chalupa Batman
May 2nd, 2021, 11:15 PM
How good is Delaware's passing attack? If it's competent at all they are going to have a field day throwing against the Jacks. Everything else about SDSU is rock solid but they seem hapless against the pass.

mmiller_34
May 2nd, 2021, 11:16 PM
How good is Delaware's passing attack? If it's competent at all they are going to have a field day throwing against the Jacks. Everything else about SDSU is rock solid but they seem hapless against the pass.

If we can't get away with PI we're screwed. Simple as that.

Chalupa Batman
May 2nd, 2021, 11:17 PM
If we can't get away with PI we're screwed. Simple as that.

Yeah, you're DB's have been very handsy all year. Seems you get at least 2-3 PI's called against you in the games I've watched

atthewbon
May 2nd, 2021, 11:42 PM
It looks like this game is at noon eastern on ESPN (at least according to ESPN)

Chalupa Batman
May 2nd, 2021, 11:47 PM
It looks like this game is at noon eastern on ESPN (at least according to ESPN)

Makes sense. JMU & SHSU on ABC, both have more national recognition than either of these teams.

atthewbon
May 2nd, 2021, 11:59 PM
Makes sense. JMU & SHSU on ABC, both have more national recognition than either of these teams.

Yea not surprised by the tv networks, a bit surprised having an 11 am local time kickoff. It also sucks that the start of the second game will overlap with the end of the first. But with these two teams who knows it could be a quick, low scoring game and actually be over in time.

JSUSoutherner
May 3rd, 2021, 01:32 AM
Literally just run the ball. Delaware won't be able to do anything about.

SDSU wins this by more than a few.

CockyGeek
May 3rd, 2021, 04:57 AM
SDSU is going to run away with this one if what I saw yesterday was any indication of how it's going to go.

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2021, 07:44 AM

They have other options

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2021, 07:46 AM
SDSU is going to run away with this one if what I saw yesterday was any indication of how it's going to go.

So a 10-7 game is a runaway?

BNATION
May 3rd, 2021, 08:42 AM
This should be a solid game, part of me feels Delaware may give SDSU some issues after watching them struggle so mightily with SIU last night. I voted DU, but the more I ponder this game and after watching the SDSU QB get going with his legs, i think they may have the advantage if he keeps going.

Professor Chaos
May 3rd, 2021, 08:59 AM
Team stats comparison added to the first post (with some bonus categories this week since we're getting down to crunch time).

Daytripper
May 3rd, 2021, 10:47 AM
As much as I would love a Keeler bowl v. Delaware, I don't think either team makes it. I think SH has a better chance of beating JMU than Hens have of beating the Jacks.

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2021, 04:17 PM
As much as I would love a Keeler bowl v. Delaware, I don't think either team makes it. I think SH has a better chance of beating JMU than Hens have of beating the Jacks.

I’m rolling with Sammy over JMU

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2021, 04:55 PM
I don’t remember South Dakota State losing too many home playoff games either, Ill have to look this up

SHSU90
May 3rd, 2021, 05:42 PM

Get your confidence back In Defense We Trust

mmiller_34
May 3rd, 2021, 06:19 PM
I don’t remember South Dakota State losing too many home playoff games either, Ill have to look this up

SDSU is 7-1 in home playoff games. Our lone loss came to UNI in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
May 3rd, 2021, 08:44 PM
SDSU is 7-1 in home playoff games. Our lone loss came to UNI in 2019.

oh thanks, Now I remember that UNI game somewhat

Mfergy4
May 4th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Gotta go with the the better MVFC team and best Bison rival, SDSU for the win. SDSU's DL should give the Hen's OL fits. But, the Semifinals have not been friendly to SDSU either. Should be close early but the physical running game of SDSU takes its toll in the 2nd half.

Ivytalk
May 4th, 2021, 03:35 PM
I believe SDSU will “hold serve” at home in a close one.

POD Knows
May 4th, 2021, 03:47 PM
SDSU by a lot

KPSUL
May 4th, 2021, 04:08 PM

4-0 vs East Coast teams in home playoff games since 2016. One games was close - SDSU 10, Villanova 7. But you can't throw in the towel on your Hens! Abstain maybe, but pick against? Never! Didn't you beat Villanova quite handily a few weeks ago? Have some faith man!

caribbeanhen
May 5th, 2021, 04:12 PM
4-0 vs East Coast teams in home playoff games since 2016. One games was close - SDSU 10, Villanova 7. But you can't throw in the towel on your Hens! Abstain maybe, but pick against? Never! Didn't you beat Villanova quite handily a few weeks ago? Have some faith man!

Beat Villanova by a touchdown but who cares, the most important thing is we finally beat them

The S Dak st QB is old school tough, will put his nose down and bull ahead for yards
I would call Gronowski solid but not spectacular
#20 RB Strong is scary good, gotta watch for that swing pass they like to run, this guy is dangerous
OL is good and like to bully people, lots of pulling

Henderson it's going to be under tremendous pressure, seems like they blitz someone every play
I would like to see him be able to Slide up into the pocket and make quick throws, He has a tendency to rely on his quick feet rather than take a gamble on a pass when the WR is covered

We have to make quick intermediate passing game throws, use TE and take ball shots....

the run game has come to a grinding halt, We are down 2 starting O lineman that have been hurt in the last three games And compounded by the competition is getting better

I know you’re Valley conference is known for its strong defense, but I would say that Delaware is going to be the best defense you have played against this year, They are deep and sub a lot without losing a thing

Reeder
Plack
Whitehead
Buchannon

these guys can lay the wood

This game will probably end up a low scoring old fashion slobberknocker

Chalupa Batman
May 7th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Beat Villanova by a touchdown but who cares, the most important thing is we finally beat them

The S Dak st QB is old school tough, will put his nose down and bull ahead for yards
I would call Gronowski solid but not spectacular
#20 RB Strong is scary good, gotta watch for that swing pass they like to run, this guy is dangerous
OL is good and like to bully people, lots of pulling

Henderson it's going to be under tremendous pressure, seems like they blitz someone every play
I would like to see him be able to Slide up into the pocket and make quick throws, He has a tendency to rely on his quick feet rather than take a gamble on a pass when the WR is covered

We have to make quick intermediate passing game throws, use TE and take ball shots....

the run game has come to a grinding halt, We are down 2 starting O lineman that have been hurt in the last three games And compounded by the competition is getting better

I know you’re Valley conference is known for its strong defense, but I would say that Delaware is going to be the best defense you have played against this year, They are deep and sub a lot without losing a thing

Reeder
Plack
Whitehead
Buchannon

these guys can lay the wood

This game will probably end up a low scoring old fashion slobberknocker

Strong is really good and the best RB in the Valley last season, but I’m not sure he’s even the best RB on his own team anymore. I think #22 Davis is even better.

Gronowski is solid and looks like a true freshman at times but I’ve been impressed with how well he has handled adversity this season. In the opener at UNI he lost a fumble that set up a go ahead touchdown with 6 minutes to go, but responded with a game winning 75 yard TD drive. Against YSU he took over at his own 21 with 3 minutes to go down 1, and despite struggling mightily to that point (9-24, 93 yards, 1 Int.) he went 3-4 for 65 yards to lead them down the field for a game winning FG. And last weekend against SIU they looked dead to rights in the 1st half and he was able to lead the come from behind win.

Last weeks game showed me this Jacks team has something in them that none of their past teams have had. They’ve been solid/very good for a long time, but I don’t think any of their past teams would’ve had the fortitude to not panic and come back from being down 20-7. They can still lose either of the next 2 games because everyone left is really good, but I think they’re the most talented team left and last weekends game gives this team a confidence and an edge they’ve never had before.

Both teams will be playing against the best defenses they’ve seen so far this season, so I agree it will be an old fashioned slobberknocker. I like the Jacks winning 23-17.

JSUSoutherner
May 7th, 2021, 07:24 PM
I hope SDSU blows UD the **** out because the closer UD keeps this the more unbelievably angry I will be.

God forbid they win the damn game.

mmiller_34
May 7th, 2021, 08:36 PM
I hope SDSU blows UD the **** out because the closer UD keeps this the more unbelievably angry I will be.

Trust me. We won't.

BNATION
May 7th, 2021, 10:10 PM
Hope DU wins because I’d rather play them should we win than SDSU.

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 06:37 AM

well if UD wins wouldn't that make them better than SDST?

I totally understand why South Dak st is favored in this game, but the big wildcard is just how good is the Delaware Defense? That is what can win Delaware the football game

Colby Reeder will be looking for a Jack n snatch for a TD today.....

OhioHen
May 8th, 2021, 07:09 AM

You would rather see the team that beat YOUR team lose badly than have them go on to win the championship? Isn't it better to be beaten by the best than by some other non-winner?

OhioHen
May 8th, 2021, 07:11 AM

I've noted it elsewhere recently, neither Drake nor Duquesne is involved in the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
May 8th, 2021, 07:31 AM
You would rather see the team that beat YOUR team lose badly than have them go on to win the championship? Isn't it better to be beaten by the best than by some other non-winner?

No because if you guys win my mind will be plagued with what could have been if our coach wasn't a vegetable and Zion hadn't gone down.

Don't read this as me saying UD wasn't the better team and didn't deserve the win. You guys earned every bit of that W.

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Delaware should have been #1 seed

POD Knows
May 8th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Delaware should have been #1 seedChrist, this game won't be close, Avatar bet, I got SDSU in a walk.

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Christ, this game won't be close, Avatar bet, I got SDSU in a walk.

The avatar bet is this:

SDSU wins. I have to keep governor until December.
SDSU loses. I pick an avatar for you and lose the governor.

SDSU. [emoji122]DOESN'T. [emoji122]WIN. [emoji122]GAMES. [emoji122]LIKE. [emoji122]THIS. [emoji122]

POD Knows
May 8th, 2021, 08:56 AM
The avatar bet is this:

SDSU wins. I have to keep governor until December.
SDSU loses. I pick an avatar for you and lose the governor.

SDSU. [emoji122]DOESN'T. [emoji122]WIN. [emoji122]GAMES. [emoji122]LIKE. [emoji122]THIS. [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkRevised terms, if SDSU wins, you keep the governor till 12-31-2021, if SDSU loses you keep the governor till 9-1-2021 and I get a new avatar until 12-31-2021. The original bet has to stand and if SDSU wins it will just be an extension for you till the end of the year.

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Revised terms, if SDSU wins, you keep the governor till 12-31-2021, if SDSU loses you keep the governor till 9-1-2021 and I get a new avatar until 12-31-2021. The original bet has to stand and if SDSU wins it will just be an extension for you till the end of the year.

Deal.

Can't wait to see you rock an SDSU avatar.

POD Knows
May 8th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Deal.

Can't wait to see you rock an SDSU avatar.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot gonna happen, you had your scare last weekend, this will be blow out in Brookings, SDSU by 14 #BOOKIT.

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 09:24 AM
Not gonna happen, you had your scare last weekend, this will be blow out in Brookings, SDSU by 14 #BOOKIT.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Yycc82XEuWDaLLi2GV/giphy.gif

Chalupa Batman
May 8th, 2021, 10:00 AM

They do now. I said earlier that past SDSU teams wouldn’t have come back to win last week. This team can play bad for extended stretches and still find a way to win. They may still lose because Delaware is really good, but it won’t be because they choke.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Except for sacks losses, Gronkowski would be leading rusher on SDSU team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bison56
May 8th, 2021, 11:53 AM
TD Bunnies.

Chalupa Batman
May 8th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Sucks that Henderson is hurt. Delaware needs defense to score or setup a TD to stay in this game.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 11:57 AM
And a beautiful trick play for 30 yd 2nd SDSU play. Jacks up 14-3 with 12 min left in 2nd q.

Bison56
May 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Delaware D getting blown off the ball.

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Jacks with a missed XP. Huge momentum switch. Hang on now.

semobison
May 8th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Jacks owning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. This could get ugly!

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 12:05 PM

you stop it

Sader87
May 8th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Holy Cross played SDSU tougher then the Hens up to this point imo...

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Jacks w a 3 score lead. Jacks keep this up, stuff Hens w no score to half. Jacks will be even more dominant in 2nd half.

Chalupa Batman
May 8th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Henderson is a gamer.

JSUSoutherner
May 8th, 2021, 12:11 PM
:)

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 12:11 PM

you stop it

Bison56
May 8th, 2021, 12:13 PM
JSU was seeded?

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Anyone have a sack counter going?

Gangtackle11
May 8th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Time to head to Cubby’s. xpeacex

JSUSoutherner
May 8th, 2021, 12:22 PM
JSU was seeded?

NDSU made the playoffs?

Bison56
May 8th, 2021, 12:23 PM
NDSU made the playoffs?

Just seeing if you're still around.😁

ysubigred
May 8th, 2021, 12:28 PM
JSU was seeded?That's my 1st thought? How bad did they suck to lose at home? Looks like the bunnies turned it up a notch..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 12:28 PM
How about that perfectly executed 2 min drill by the Jacks? 27-3 @ half. Jacks get ball to started 2nd half.

Nickels
May 8th, 2021, 12:29 PM
JSU was seeded?
Pretty impressive considering it was Deion's first season.

semobison
May 8th, 2021, 12:30 PM
Delaware was fortunate with their draw on the weak side of the weak side of this years bracket. SIU and Weber St. we’re the 2nd and 3rd best teams on this side of the bracket...IMO!

Chalupa Batman
May 8th, 2021, 12:34 PM
I thought the Hen D would be stiffer and be able to keep this game from getting away from them, very impressive half from the Bunny offense.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Even more impressive half by Jacks D & Special team.

skinny_uncle
May 8th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Wow

JSUSoutherner
May 8th, 2021, 12:49 PM
That's my 1st thought? How bad did they suck to lose at home? Looks like the bunnies turned it up a notch..

Pretty bad. It's what happens when your coach calls 19 passing plays in the 2nd half with your 4th string QB whose never seen a down of college ball.

Sitting Bull
May 8th, 2021, 12:52 PM
The most consistent thing Delaware has done all day is hold on every offensive play. Few calls though.

The Janke twins are awesome. Also like the way Sproul runs for the Hens.

ysubigred
May 8th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Pretty bad. It's what happens when your coach calls 19 passing plays in the 2nd half with your 4th string QB whose never seen a down of college ball.I seen that. YSU has plenty of issues also. Not to throw stones.. Although, the Guins did take the bunnies to the wire..

POD Knows
May 8th, 2021, 01:31 PM
I knew this would be ass kicking. SDSU will roll either JMU or SHSU.

RabidRabbit
May 8th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Jacks 2nds are in. Frisco bound!

Sitting Bull
May 8th, 2021, 01:54 PM
Congrats! Nice program.

Professor Chaos
May 8th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Well done Jackrabbits... I'll be rooting for you to finish the job in Frisco. xthumbsupx

ysubigred
May 8th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Well done Jackrabbits... I'll be rooting for you to finish the job in Frisco. xthumbsupxKeep the cup in the valley [emoji106]

mmiller_34
May 8th, 2021, 02:03 PM
I knew this would be ass kicking. SDSU will roll either JMU or SHSU.

I had no doubts we would roll today.

Next week.. Not so much.

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Congratulations South Dakota State

dominated today

Paladin1aa
May 8th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Pretty much a cake walk. Go Bunnies !

skinny_uncle
May 8th, 2021, 03:07 PM
Delaware should join the Valley. We could use a doormat.

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 06:17 PM

I remember a doormat came to Newark in 2003

POD Knows
May 8th, 2021, 07:20 PM
I remember a doormat came to Newark in 2003Jesus dude, that is almost 20 years ago, when is the last time you guys beat a MVFC team. I honestly don't even know.

Laker
May 8th, 2021, 09:04 PM
Started out in Book Club. Delicious food. Brisket by Thumper, candied bacon by Chad, humor by Clenz.

Sat in front of Darin Zimmerman's parents- Delaware receiver. Nice visit. Couldn't believe how many Jack sacks there were today. That trick play by Eck was huge. Got home, took a nap, woke up to find that the huge JMU lead was lost and that Sam Houston makes the title game.

Today I have finally seen a college team play in some sport in person from every US state. Nice to get that covered.

BNATION
May 8th, 2021, 09:10 PM
Man, was tailgating and didn’t get to watch, what happened.....

caribbeanhen
May 8th, 2021, 09:37 PM
Jesus dude, that is almost 20 years ago, when is the last time you guys beat a MVFC team. I honestly don't even know.

today might be the first time we actually lost to one in the playoffs

now go exterminate the Fargo Dome

the fleas should be really piling off that dead Behemoth by now

Libertine
May 9th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Today I have finally seen a college team play in some sport in person from every US state. Nice to get that covered.

Congratulations! Just getting to all 50 is kind of a big deal (I'm 3 short).

I'm curious what college sport you watched in Alaska?

Houndawg
May 9th, 2021, 11:41 AM

probably basketball - UA Fairbanks is home of the Flying Nanooks

CockyGeek
May 9th, 2021, 04:39 PM
So a 10-7 game is a runaway?

33-3 is, I guess. I was rooting for you though. Always good to lose to the champs if you can't win.

Laker
May 9th, 2021, 05:19 PM

I went with the Gophers in 1994 when they won the Great Alaska Shootout and saw UAA. Also saw UAA and UAF (or just Alaska) when they came to Mankato for hockey.

Saw UH-Hilo in the Big Island Tournament the next year when the Gophers lost to Nebraska in the title game. Saw Hilo playing in it. Also saw Hawaii play in the NCAA volleyball championship in Williams Arena when they lost to Texas 3-0 in the finals in 1988.

I've been to all 50 states but haven't necessarily seen a game in each one, just teams from there.

I only count head to head contests between teams, not individuals. I've been to track meets or wrestling tournaments but I don't count that if it is an individual. D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JC.

JSUSoutherner
May 9th, 2021, 05:35 PM

Damn, I'm Prophetic.

caribbeanhen
May 9th, 2021, 06:06 PM
33-3 is, I guess. I was rooting for you though. Always good to lose to the champs if you can't win.

good to know

caribbeanhen
May 9th, 2021, 06:08 PM
I went with the Gophers in 1994 when they won the Great Alaska Shootout and saw UAA. Also saw UAA and UAF (or just Alaska) when they came to Mankato for hockey.

Saw UH-Hilo in the Big Island Tournament the next year when the Gophers lost to Nebraska in the title game. Saw Hilo playing in it. Also saw Hawaii play in the NCAA volleyball championship in Williams Arena when they lost to Texas 3-0 in the finals in 1988.

I've been to all 50 states but haven't necessarily seen a game in each one, just teams from there.

I only count head to head contests between teams, not individuals. I've been to track meets or wrestling tournaments but I don't count that if it is an individual. D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JC.

Laker, what about territories?

In all seriousness, this is really something !

Laker
May 10th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Laker, what about territories?

In all seriousness, this is really something !

LOL. After I had gone to Alaska in 94 and Hawaii in 95 I had a chance to go to Puerto Rico for cheap. A couple had paid but had to cancel out of the charter- all it would cost me was the hotel room (and they were putting me with the same guy who was my roommate in Hawaii and we got along fine) and game tickets. All three of these trips were over Thanksgiving so I would only miss one day of school each time. New administration- they wouldn't let me go because I would miss some talk by an education "expert". I begged to have them record it but no go. Gophers beat Clemson for the title- the same team that they would beat in double OT in the region semis for the NCAA- basically a football game on the court.

Anyway I was in Grand Forks watching the UND women beat Southern Indiana for the D2 women's basketball title (I had worked summer camps there for years so I knew the UND players well) when I found out that the Gophers had pounded UCLA to go to the Final Four. Got a call from Creative Charters on Monday at school- they were saving a spot for me and I could either chose to stay downtown in a hotel or with an Indiana fan for a $100 donation to the Indianapolis Youth Basketball Association. No brainer there. Anyway- I talked to the super about this. He said that the policy said they could deny a personal day the day before or the day after vacation (Easter in this case). I came back with "but that Monday was originally a vacation day before they took it away as a snow day. He finally laughed and said, "I'm just pulling your chain- go!" Had a great time- my host took me to the Indy 500 racetrack for a tour, Easter dinner at his mom's place, picked me up at the airport- great guy. Later he invited me to come back for the actual Indy 500 race and met me at Grand Portage MN to sail to Isle Royale in Lake Superior. That is another adventure- the other three guys had their patches on to prevent sea sickness- it rained, I got wet, water got rough, I was the most sick I've ever been in my life. Fell asleep, got up, puked, fell asleep or passed out. Got to the island to dry off and his buddy said- "hey, thanks for saving my life." What? "Don't you remember?" No. "I slipped on the wet step coming down the steps. You were standing by the sink, looked up and caught me like a football- set me down, then went back to sleep." I didn't remember any of it. They gave me a patch and the next day I was eating sandwiches and enjoying the return trip.

So anyway- yes, I did try to expand my experiences but got let down so I couldn't go to Puerto Rico. They did go to the Bahamas but I couldn't make that trip either. Now going to Brookings on Saturday wore me out- I got home and took an hour nap- missed the end of the JMU- Sam game.

Mfergy4
May 10th, 2021, 10:13 AM
I had no doubts we would roll today.

Next week.. Not so much.

Congrats Jacks!! Now bring home the hardware!!! Keep the Trophy in the MVFC!

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Excuse me...that role is already filled.