PDA

View Full Version : UND and USD to join the GWFC in 2008

pcola
August 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Sioux to join Great West (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=45741&section=News)

UND football will have a home in its first NCAA Division I season.

The Great West Conference is expected to announce today that UND will become a full-fledged member of the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division 1-AA) league in the fall of 2008.

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Great news. Welcome to the GWFC. What is the new on USD? What is the plan for UND as far as scholarships (how fast are they planning on getting to 63) are concerned? Kick @ss this season and bring the 2007 DII national championship trophy with you to the GWFC.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure UND will ramp up to 63 pretty fast.

I know they want to be eligible to play BCS games as soon as possible.

Too bad NDSU couldn't have gone to the Gateway in 2009.

08 would be perfect for a Bison/Sioux game!

yote4ever
August 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Great news. Welcome to the GWFC. What is the new on USD? What is the plan for UND as far as scholarships (how fast are they planning on getting to 63) are concerned? Kick @ss this season and bring the 2007 DII national championship trophy with you to the GWFC.xthumbsupx

USD is in as well. Here is the press release...
http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080207aaf.html

BISON Thunder
August 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Can someone please remind me the reason(s) why und and usd didn't/aren't making 2007/2008 their first year of transition?

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
USD is in as well. Here is the press release...

Congrats to both USD and UND. Welcome to the GWFC. I am looking forward to having both school on the schedule in 2008. Any idea of scholarship plans for USD?

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
The GWFC announced that the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota will join the GWFC in 2008:

Welcome to the top conference in the FCS!!!

JBB
August 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
I think its working out just fine. Joining the Great West is a baptism by fire for these early transition programs. Its going to be an exciting trip and it starts in earnest with the game of the year for the North Dakota D2 squad at SUU later this season. What a thrill for those North Dakota kids!

These teams have a long way to go but they are welcome to the spots soon to be vacated by the Great Land Grants and GWFC Charter members NDSU & SDSU. Its a great legacy and I think they can carry it on.

Well here is to the last great season of the original conference. Good Luck To All.

AZGrizFan
August 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Great, now let's just get the BSC and GWFC to merge. The Great Big Western Sky Conference. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Great, now let's just get the BSC and GWFC to merge. The Great Big Western Sky Conference. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sounds great to me.xthumbsupx

Ronbo
August 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Well that saves the Conference. Congrats to the Great West. North Dakota and South Dakota should be there awhile. What Conference should they look at for Basketball and other sports?

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Well that saves the Conference. Congrats to the Great West. North Dakota and South Dakota should be there awhile. What Conference should they look at for Basketball and other sports?

I would assume the Mid-Con/Summit League.

Now the GWFC need to get USD-2 (University of San Diego) to add scholarships and join the conference and bring it up to six members.

Tod
August 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM

Brilliant! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xnodx xnodx xnodx

We knew this was going to happen, but it's nice to see it officially announced. Congrats to both programs and schools. xnodx xnodx xnodx

pcola
August 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Count me in.:)

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Can someone please remind me the reason(s) why und and usd didn't/aren't making 2007/2008 their first year of transition?

2007-08 is the exploratory year, just as 2003-04 was for NDSU.

They still get to compete for DII championships and they have the year to really make sure they want to go through with it.

Assuming they do, the 4 years 2008-spring 2012 will be the transition years. They will then be eligible for all DI national championships in fall 2012.

Then in fall 2020 they become core members of DI (2016 for NDSU).

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Or just add USD as the 6th member without scholarships.

That's not against the rules is it?

Because USD isn't going to be adding them any time soon.

Even if title IX disappeared tomorrow, that's a lot of money.

TheBisonator
August 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Well, it looks like any game between NDSU and UND will have to wait until at least the 2013 season, because UND and USD have signed on to five-year commitments.

Congrats to UND and USD, though. I knew they would get in really quickly.xthumbsupx

JackJD
August 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Well, it looks like any game between NDSU and UND will have to wait until at least the 2013 season, because UND and USD have signed on to five-year commitments.

But, even with a five-year commitment, there will not be enough schools in the GWFC to fill a schedule so won't USD and UND look for non-conference opponents? I'm not advocating getting USD on SDSU's schedule...just commenting that it is possible. Am I missing something?

TheBisonator
August 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
But, even with a five-year commitment, there will not be enough schools in the GWFC to fill a schedule so won't USD and UND look for non-conference opponents? I'm not advocating getting USD on SDSU's schedule...just commenting that it is possible. Am I missing something?

From 2009 and beyond, NDSU and SDSU will already have 9 games slated each year. The Gateway lineup and an FBS team. That leaves 2 games to fill. NDSU and SDSU will want to keep playing UC Davis and Cal-Poly to fulfill their scheduling needs in the next few years. Therefore, there's no room for the UXD's at least until they join our football conference.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Keeping telling that to anyone who will listen.

The really sad part is you were probably right there cheering on NDSU when they played UND in 2003 and before.

Now you want to pretend that all those games never happened and that UND doesn't exist.

You want to slap all those NDSU players in the face and tell them that their UND games meant nothing.

Pretty sick.

BisonBacker
August 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM

The really sad part is you were probably right there cheering on NDSU when they played UND in 2003 and before.

Now you want to pretend that all those games never happened and that UND doesn't exist.

You want to slap all those NDSU players in the face and tell them that their UND games meant nothing.

Pretty sick.

Man you can't let it go can you. That's whats pretty sick. You make up lies to back up your fantasy's and tell other people they are sick. It's no wonder you made the top of the list of most annoying posters on AGS. Do you wear a cheerleaders skirt for UND too? You must because your on thier board daily cheerleading for a game that isn't happening anytime soon but you continue to live in your dreamworld. Why don't you come back for a reality check and see how the rest of the world lives xnonox

bincitysioux
August 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
NDSU and SDSU will want to keep playing UC Davis and Cal-Poly to fulfill their scheduling needs in the next few years.

How come everyone treats SUU like the red-headed step-child. They always seem to be left out in the cold, and they're your Summit Leauge brethren. xeyebrowx

BisonBacker
August 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
SUU doesn't pack em in either at home or on the road. UCD and Poly will put butts in the seats plus bring a good game. SUU has been at the bottom of the conference standings since its inception. Who would you rather see play?

slostang
August 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
How come everyone treats SUU like the red-headed step-child. They always seem to be left out in the cold, and they're your Summit Leauge brethren. xeyebrowx

I think it may be because SUU has finished at or near the bottom of the conference each year. SUU was a limited scholarship program (I think around 43), but have moved up to 57 scholarships last year. Those extra scholarships will help a lot.

I think that SUU has one of the toughest schedules in FCS this season. They might not win the majority of their games this year because of their schedule, but if a team takes them lightly they will play. SUU returns more starters than anyone in the GWFC this year. They took their lumps last year playing a lot of young players, but it will start paying back this year.

SUU is a program that is headed in the right direction. I am glad to have them as a member of the GWFC.

89rabbit
August 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Congrats to UND and USD, best of luck in '08.

footballer23
August 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I would assume the Mid-Con/Summit League.

Now the GWFC need to get USD-2 (University of San Diego) to add scholarships and join the conference and bring it up to six members.

Tis true... we have joined the Summit League along with SDSU starting this fall.

dbackjon
August 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Good for them.

dakotadan
August 3rd, 2007, 01:29 AM
Great news. Welcome to the GWFC. What is the new on USD? What is the plan for UND as far as scholarships (how fast are they planning on getting to 63) are concerned?

Kick @ss this season and bring the 2007 DII national championship trophy with you to the GWFC.xthumbsupx

In an article dated July 23, 2006 in the Grand Forks Herald (link no longer available), UND's athletic director Tom Buning and the senior women's administrator stated that UND will go up to 57 FB schollies in it's first year.

And that is definately our plan for this year. I'll be there cheering them on in our final year of the NCC.

While most expected this, it is nice to have it finally announced. xnodx

dakotadan
August 3rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
xthumbsupx

Now we just need to find numbers 6, 7 and 8!

Bison77
August 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
I find it highly interesting that sioux & yote fans having belittled the GWFC when NDSU and the rest put it together and now they can't wait to join it.

Gil Dobie
August 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Best wishes to the former NCC mates.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
I find it highly interesting that sioux & yote fans having belittled the GWFC when NDSU and the rest put it together and now they can't wait to join it.

They may not like it, but it's their only choice for now.

They aren't joining the Big Sky so long as NAU, Sac State, and Portland State are there. Those schools won't allow expansion into the central time zone.

We'll see what happens with the Gateway in 5 years. You never know.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
a game that isn't happening anytime soon

Keep telling it to anyone who will listen.

2009, mark it. And, of course, you'll be there.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Keep telling it to anyone who will listen.

2009, mark it. And, of course, you'll be there.

2009:

Iowa State
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois

Sorry you didn't win, but we have some nice parting gifts for you...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/zackbennett/lg_12.jpg

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Again, I want to say my congrats to UND and USD. I was personally concerned that the conference would have to go into hiatus in 2008, and I personally don't want to see anything bad happen to end the GWFC. I'm glad the GWFC can keep on rollin' in 2008 with its new members.

Go Bison
August 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM

I agree. Good luck to all the Great West conference members, present and future. Hopefully the Great West will survive for many years.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
I agree. Good luck to all the Great West conference members, present and future. Hopefully the Great West will survive for many years.

I hope it can survive too. I'd like to see San Diego included in the fold.

BISON Thunder
August 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

I agree GD...hope this announcement is the first step in a successful ascent for our formal rivals. Congrats to UxD's!

MPLSGRIZZLY
August 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
I agree GD...hope this announcement is the first step in a successful ascent for our formal rivals. Congrats to UxD's!

It's too bad all four Dakota schools couldn't have been in the same conference, it would have been nice to see the rivalries continued.

It's great to see UND and USD found a home though.

Gil Dobie
August 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
It's too bad all four Dakota schools couldn't have been in the same conference, it would have been nice to see the rivalries continued.

It's great to see UND and USD found a home though.

There was a vote a few years back on moving the NCC to DI. The vote did not pass. Since then 5 teams have moved to DI.

dbackjon
August 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
There was a vote a few years back on moving the NCC to DI. The vote did not pass. Since then 5 teams have moved to DI.

And that is the biggest shame of them all. NCC was a natural D-I conference - would have auto-bids to all tournaments by now.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
2009:

Iowa State
UND
Georgia Southern
Montana State
Western Illinois
South Dakota State
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
Indiana State
Youngstown State
Missouri State
Southern Illinois

Even if you're right that 09 is not a 12 game regular season (and I'm pretty sure you're wrong), for sure by then the legislation will have changed to allow FCS to schedule 12 games in 12 weekends to match FBS.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM

Yeah but you know damn well that Augi, Saint Cloud, Mankato, and Omaha would've never made it.

It's good the way it worked out.

89Hen
August 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Congrats to the GWFC. xthumbsupx

BearsCountry
August 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
We'll see what happens with the Gateway in 5 years. You never know.

Here we go again. xlolx

Hammersmith
August 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Even if you're right that 09 is not a 12 game regular season (and I'm pretty sure you're wrong), for sure by then the legislation will have changed to allow FCS to schedule 12 games in 12 weekends to match FBS.

You're wrong(again). The 12-game seasons are in 2008, 2013, 2014 & 2019.* As for the rest, nobody has any idea what's going to happen and that includes you. There seem to be three factions forming up within the FCS presidents and ADs: 1. Those who want a 12-game season; 2. Those who want an expanded playoff; 3. Those who want things to remain as they are. As of now, no one group seems to dominate so group 3 wins by default. Until or unless something upsets the status quo, absolute comments like "for sure by then the legislation will have changed" are idiotic on their face.

*Bylaw 17.11.5.1

Hammerhead
August 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Good luck to the UxD schools. By now, the Bison and Jacks have learned that there are on "guarantees" for out-of-conference games so there could be Bison/Sioux game in the near future. I'd love to see the Bison and Sioux play every year or at least every other year.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
The 12-game seasons are in 2008, 2013, 2014 & 2019.

You're right, Hammer.

There seem to be three factions forming up within the FCS presidents and ADs: 1. Those who want a 12-game season; 2. Those who want an expanded playoff; 3. Those who want things to remain as they are.

Says who, you?

My opinion is that by 09 you're going to see a 12 game regular season every season for FCS rather than an expanded playoff and you're going to see 5 years eligibility for football.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Good like to the UxD schools. By now, the Bison and Jacks have learned that there are on "guarantees" for out-of-conference games so there could be Bison/Sioux game in the near future. I'd love to see the Bison and Sioux play every year or at least every other year.

Good to see a representative of the vast majority of NDSU fans on here.

You're right about Bison/Sioux games coming up in the future.

Not much longer now.

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Good to see a representative of the vast majority of NDSU fans on here.

You're right about Bison/Sioux games coming up in the future.

Not much longer now.

Won't happen till 2012 at the earliest.

BisonBacker
August 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Here we go again. xlolx

Don't worry BearsCountry MPLSBison as he likes to call himself had this to say from a post he made over on the Sioux board. Funny stuff

Great West/Summit Leauge sounds like a good fit for UND/USD at least through transition.

Then after that we'll see about getting you into the Gateway

I wonder who the we is in his comment. Of course he has no agenda here xlolx
His credibility is zero xcoffeex

TheBisonator
August 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe we should start a seperate thread about the hijacked topic, rather than hijacking 2-3 threads...

bisonguy
August 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats to the UxD's!!

yote4ever
August 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
In an article dated July 23, 2006 in the Grand Forks Herald (link no longer available), UND's athletic director Tom Buning and the senior women's administrator stated that UND will go up to 57 FB schollies in it's first year.

And that is definately our plan for this year. I'll be there cheering them on in our final year of the NCC.

While most expected this, it is nice to have it finally announced. xnodx

I've heard from the coaches and administration in the USD athletic department that they plan to go to 57 schollies in the first year as well. We'll have to see if that holds true.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Won't happen till 2012 at the earliest.

UND @ NDSU, 2009, Fargodome.

You'll be there.

MplsBison
August 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
I wonder who the we is in his comment.

Since I was talking about getting UND and USD into the Gateway, the "we" refers to NDSU and SDSU each helping their respective state's flagship out.

Thundar
August 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Glad to see the GWFC get the UxDs, Congrats to all involved!

The Sheriff
August 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
I couldn't be more excited about next year in our first season in the GWFC. Each week will present a quality opponent and probably and all will be a fight until the end. Here's to hoping some great rivalries are established for years to come.

Unlike JBB's wisdom, there's also a lot to look forward with this season, beyond just our SUU game. SUU will be a great opponent and will be a good game and hopefully we will establish a rivalry for years to come, but I won't be THE game USD is stacked once again and, as another thread put it, our annual Grand Valley bowl. There's something to play for this year.

AZJack
August 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM
MPLSsioux, SDSU and NDSU ARE the flagship universities in each state. UND and USD just claim to be the flagship U's. When you stated UND is NoDak's flagship university you showed your true colors.
In the past I didn't have any feelings toward UND, but after reading their fan comments the past few years, I've come to hate them just as much as USD.

TheBisonator
August 4th, 2007, 03:13 AM
MPLSsioux, SDSU and NDSU ARE the flagship universities in each state. UND and USD just claim to be the flagship U's. When you stated UND is NoDak's flagship university you showed your true colors.
In the past I didn't have any feelings toward UND, but after reading their fan comments the past few years, I've come to hate them just as much as USD.

Actually, I always assumed that NDSU/UND and SDSU/USD were co-flagships of their respective states, due to the seperation in size and stature they have over the 3rd largest universities in their states. (Something about all the degrees having their bases at either university, or something like that, I forgot)

As a matter of fact, not too long ago there was a plan in ND to seperate the ND higher education system into two parts, the "flagship" system (NDSU/UND) and all the rest into another system (VCSU, Mayville, etc.)

Sorry to hijack this thread further, folks. Just wanted to clarify.:D

89rabbit
August 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Robert M. Berdahl
Chancellor,
University of California, Berkeley

"What do we mean by the term "flagship" universities? The term applies, in all the cases I can think of, to the fully mature public universities serving most of states. In most cases, these institutions were the first public universities to be established in their states. Many of what we now call the flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions. For example, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Washington, and Texas, among others, built separate institutions, while Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, and California combined the land-grant and liberal arts function on a single campus. These institutions formed the core of the public systems of higher education in their respective states. State teachers colleges, later evolving into regional state colleges or universities, formed the rest of the higher education institutions in most states. . . ."

JBB
August 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah but you know damn well that Augi, Saint Cloud, Mankato, and Omaha would've never made it.

It's good the way it worked out.

It worked out well for the Mighty Land Grants and UNC thats for sure.

JBB
August 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Pretty sick.

The past is the past. It means something.

The great rivalry we had with Fargo College is as important to the fans and players of the early 1900s as the rivalry we had with Und is to the fans and players of the late 1900s. Its the future we are talking about, 2012 and beyond. But hey, its all in The Great Book of BISON LORE.

The future looks bleak for those that want to step back in time. Most of us dont. Most of the NDSU fans feel time has passed that old rivalry by. Our paths no longer cross.

It was a great run and then it ended. Everyone knows Und wants and needs this game to rescue their program from the obscurity it finds itself, but after they get going with their D1 schedule and new football conference who knows?

Most NDSU fans moved on with the excitement and challenge of the new Division and conferences. That old game just doesnt seem the same with the schedule full of exciting teams and televison. The old Und game used to be the only televised game of the year at NDSU! Gateway affiliation, growth in the NDSU Media and market as well as competitive scheduling nation wide have changed all that. The old game lost its pedestal like status.

Continuing the old rivalry might even lose some luster in the minds of the Und fans that need the game so desperately. They are getting a taste of their future with SUU this year. In the years to come as they see new teams and learn their way around they might forget about the old rivalry too, but right now they dont have much to hang their hats on and the next few years are all uphill. With only 10 games scheduled this year I think thats obvious.

Good luck to the old GWFC. It was a great experience for all of us at NDSU and I have to feel it will be beneficial for the new guys too.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. The Original Charter members still have One more year to rip it up. Its going to be a great time in Brookings this year. Thats the BISON rivalry now and 20,000 fans cant be all wrong!!

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
SDSU and NDSU ARE the flagship universities in each state.

The land grant flagships yes.

Same as Washington State, Oregon State, Utah State, Colorado State, Montana State, etc.

But certainly UND and USD are also flagships as Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Montana, etc. are.

NDSUFREAK
August 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
mplssioux, we don't need to help our little brother out when all they did was sit on the safe side.

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM
We don't need to do anything.

It's simply the correct thing to do to advance the state of North Dakota, which is NDSU's mission.

JBB
August 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
We don't need to do anything.

It's simply the correct thing to do to advance the state of North Dakota, which is NDSU's mission.

Thats laughable. Nowhere does it state the mission of NDSU is to advance the State of North Dakota and there is no tie in to the fortunes of the State of North Dakota and a football game.

There is no obligation for NDSU to do anything, not even to rise above the pettiness of those people that ignored this so called obligation when the series was ended. its simply our circumstances now. Times have changed and renewing that old game is impossible. We have moved past it.

The series is over, and has been for years. NDSU simply doesnt have the need to rearrange their entire plan for the future. there is no room in the schedule, there is no motivation to play. There is no obligation that needs to be met except the scheduling needs of NDSU which seem to be taken care of without UND.

Its understandable looking at the situation they are in why they would want so desperatelly to play this game again. But they will get over that. Lets see what happens at SUU this year and then we can watch next year unfold for them. In time they will have their scheduling needs down and they too might realize the series is a thing of the past.

2008 is a new era for the GWFC. Two charter members leave and 2 new members are on-board. There hasnt been anything released about the terms of membership. If they were simply invited in with no obligation I dont see much future for the GWFC. Somehow it has to be tied together through mutual obligation if it is going to last.

On the other hand it has been a stable transition conference and with a little encouragement could grow into something permanent and auto bid ready. That would take some time and the GWFC might not have much of that without more help from D2.

Thundar
August 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Amen!! JBB

BisonBacker
August 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
The land grant flagships yes.

Same as Washington State, Oregon State, Utah State, Colorado State, Montana State, etc.

But certainly UND and USD are also flagships as Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Montana, etc. are.

Man your same old song and dance gets tiring xoopsx Move on already. All you do is talk about a team we no longer play. Everyone knows who you truly represent. You've made your point adnauseum so why don't you just find another drum to beat. Is it possible for you to talk about NDSU without bringing them up?? I doubt it. Wait a minute MPLS, I hear someone calling for you. You better get over to Siouxsports.com they miss you.xnodx

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
There is no obligation for NDSU to do anything

There always has been and always will be the obligation for NDSU to serve the state of North Dakota as a public institution.

Times have changed and renewing that old game is impossible. We have moved past it.

Dream on.

Tell it to anyone who will listen.

UND @ NDSU, Fargodome, 2009.

You'll be there.

JBB
August 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM
LOL.

dakotadan
August 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Can we please try to let the schools involved just be happy about this and keep the bickering to the smack board? Keeping the GWFC going is good for all of the FCS. Now on to the next additions. xthumbsupx

slostang
August 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
There hasnt been anything released about the terms of membership. If they were simply invited in with no obligation I dont see much future for the GWFC. Somehow it has to be tied together through mutual obligation if it is going to last.

On the other hand it has been a stable transition conference and with a little encouragement could grow into something permanent and auto bid ready. That would take some time and the GWFC might not have much of that without more help from D2.

Both UND and USD are committed for a minimum of 5 years.

TxnYote
August 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Can we please try to let the schools involved just be happy about this and keep the bickering to the smack board? Keeping the GWFC going is good for all of the FCS. Now on to the next additions. xthumbsupx

Here here.

If the crap between selected UND posters and the Bison posters is this bad already, God help us when they actually take the field with one another (whether that be in 2009 or 2012, those of us in states with more than 13,000 people don't really care xsmiley_wix ).

Great news for the 'Yotes and UND. I think most saw this as inevitable. The bigger announcement, and the one I'm more anxious to hear, will come when we find a conference for our other sports. The xDSU's showed that you can be successful as independents on a short term basis, but its a hard road to hoe for a long term basis.

TxnYote

JBB
August 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks SloStang. I think its a good move for the GWFC.

BisonBacker
August 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Slostang, have you read anywhere what the penalty for early exit is if one even exists? I've seen nothing on this but admittedly I haven't looked real hard either.

slostang
August 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Slostang, have you read anywhere what the penalty for early exit is if one even exists? I've seen nothing on this but admittedly I haven't looked real hard either.

I just saw in an article that they were committed to a minimum of 5 years. It did not say what the penalty is for an early exit, but I would imagine that is would be enough to make it difficult to exit early.

Grizaholic17
August 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'm mad the Big sky didn't consider you more than they did.:(

MplsBison
August 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I didn't even see the Big Sky sky really consider anyone.

Haven't really heard so much as a peep out of them about expansion, other than some are not content with 9 for non FB sports scheduling.

Certainly not the treatment they gave NDSU and SDSU.

RabidRabbit
August 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, after having read the whole threadxsmhx Has Cal Poly, UC-Davis committed to playing both UxD's in 2008? xconfusedx I've seen where each of Poly/Davis is playing ONE of the UxD's in 2008, but not the second team.

If so, Poly and Davis are each taking on two D-II qualified games for play-off determination purposes. xrulesx xrulesx Good luck to these two fine programs qualifying with the two "limbo" teams' on the schedule. Pretty certain it was a strong part of the reason Poly wasn't selected in 2004, in part because of the two games vs. XDSU's. xwhistlex Which this Rabbit appreciated.

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Ok, after having read the whole threadxsmhx Has Cal Poly, UC-Davis committed to playing both UxD's in 2008? xconfusedx I've seen where each of Poly/Davis is playing ONE of the UxD's in 2008, but not the second team.

If so, Poly and Davis are each taking on two D-II qualified games for play-off determination purposes. xrulesx xrulesx Good luck to these two fine programs qualifying with the two "limbo" teams' on the schedule. Pretty certain it was a strong part of the reason Poly wasn't selected in 2004, in part because of the two games vs. XDSU's. xwhistlex Which this Rabbit appreciated.

We're playing UND and CP is playing USD

Hammersmith
August 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM

It sounds like the final decision hasn't been made yet, but it's looking like SUU will be the only GWFC school to play a full round-robin schedule in 2008. For the reasons you stated, CP & UCD are not thrilled with the thought of two non-counters on their schedules and may decide to keep the schedules as they are(UCD/UND & CP/USD) rather than a full RR schedule for all five schools. No matter what the final selection is, UND & USD will both be eligible for the conference championship along with the other records.

slostang
August 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
The thing that might make a full conference schedule possible for the all the schools of the new 2008 GWFC is that in 2008 FCS schools can schedule 12 games. This will give UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Southern Utah 10 other games to schedule with counter games.

BisBison
August 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM

My thoughts exactly. Mplssue has shown his true colors.xnodx Helping our respective flagship university my A$$. We're the flagships and the land-grants all in one.

The Sheriff
August 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure what the proper definition of a "flagship" unversity is. I'm also not sure what that has to do with football. But, what makes one university a "flagship" over another? Flagship's certainly have nothing to do with what athletic level you play on, I know that for sure.

I'm thinking the academic variation, amount of programs, size, etc have more to do with it. In any sense, I'm sure there's some sort of OBJECTIVE reasoning behind what makes a flagship over another. But if you guys want to roll with the athletic thing, go with it...

I can't believe I contributed to this arguement...

pcola
August 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM
My thoughts exactly. Mplssue has shown his true colors.xnodx Helping our respective flagship university my A$$. We're the flagships and the land-grants all in one.
Please explain why you believe that NDSU is a flagship and UND is not. UND has the law school, the medical school, a great business college, the aerospace college and a ND constitutionally enacted engineering college (http://www.und.nodak.edu/dept/sem/about/index.html#history). Yes, NDSU is a land grant school, which would, in most circles also qualify as a flagship school. North Dakota has two flagship schools.xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
August 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
With the SDSU schedule out for 2008 & 2009, keeping up a home and home with Cal Poly (WAY TO GO 'Stangs/Jacks! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx )

Means no Sioux/Coyotes for the Rabbits until at least 2010.

Good luck Sioux in rounding up opponents. Coyotes should have a game with UCA in 2008 or 2009?xconfusedx

JBB
August 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I agree, with 12 games the possibility of a round robin is pretty high. Of course there may already be other plans for that game with the established members of the Division? If so, that make the prospects of a full round robin less likely.

The Sheriff
August 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM
With the SDSU schedule out for 2008 & 2009, keeping up a home and home with Cal Poly (WAY TO GO 'Stangs/Jacks! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx )

Means no Sioux/Coyotes for the Rabbits until at least 2010.

Good luck Sioux in rounding up opponents. Coyotes should have a game with UCA in 2008 or 2009?xconfusedx

The Sioux and the Yotes will have to get a little creative in the scheduling for the next few years, just like the Bison and the Rabbits of the past few years. That is no secret, and it will be nothing new. They won't have any more, or any less difficulties than their predecessors in the transition process.

That being said, I'm confident in our leadership that they will put us in great position to see some quality opponents in the coming years. I'm excited about the Great West. For instance, I remember watching UND and UC-Davis in 2001 in Grand Forks and it will be nice to see them come back to The Al for years to come.

JBB
August 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
You guys will get your games. You will have a full platter in no time. Mavbe a complete round robin in the GWFC for 2008?

Right now Im sure the entire season is focused on the Big "Play-Up" game at Charter GWFC Member SUU! Of course there is the goal of the NCC championship and the D2 national championship. But its a big challenge either way.

The Sheriff
August 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
There'll be some bumps, no doubt about it. But I think things will eventually play itself out.

dakotadan
August 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
At the press conference announcing UND joining the Great West, Head Coach Dale Lennon stated that we should have "a very attractive 2008 schedule that will be available for release in the very near future." It sounds like they have been doing alot of scheduling already and have some things lined up for the next couple of seasons.

We already know that we should have USD and SUU at home and UC Davis on the road in 08. Part of our contract for the 06 UND/UNI game was an option for an additional 2 games contingent on UND moving to DI. (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=9780&section=Sports&property_id=&forumcomm_check_return&freebie_check&CFID=47378232&CFTOKEN=39566930&jsessionid=88306e89e650d2974236) However, I believe 2009 will be the earliest we could possibly see a rematch of that game.

Some fans are speculating that we will see some football games in the coming years against DI FCS schools that we have history with in hockey such as Maine, New Hampshire, Northeastern, etc.

bincitysioux
August 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Part of our contract for the 06 UND/UNI game was an option for an additional 2 games contingent on UND moving to DI. (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=9780&section=Sports&property_id=&forumcomm_check_return&freebie_check&CFID=47378232&CFTOKEN=39566930&jsessionid=88306e89e650d2974236) However, I believe 2009 will be the earliest we could possibly see a rematch of that game.

Yeah, I also doubt we'll see UNI again until 2009 at the earliest. USD already has them on their schedule for 2008.