PDA

View Full Version : Maine to open at Iowa in 2008

mainejeff
August 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Another great game and paycheck for the Black Bears! I don't think that anyone in FCS has had a string of FBS games during the past 5 years like Maine has......

2004 - Mississippi State
2005 - Nebraska
2006 - Boston College
2007 - UConn
2008 - Iowa

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=124701&ac=PHspt

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
I like the other ones - this one, though, is a little less glamorous for Maine. Going to SEC territory would be cool, going to Nebraska would be cool, the New England games are obviously big because of the proximity. Iowa? Eh, just a paycheck game for Maine, nothing more. If I'm going to do a paycheck game, I'd rather it be a Penn St or a Michigan or someone close to home. I liked the other games Maine has had - this one not so much, though.

DTSpider
August 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
I personally like the approach Richmond has taken to FBS games. The teams have generally been lower ranked, easy for travel & similar schools. While it's amazing to play at a Nebraska or Michigan, why not play games you have a decent chance to win?

1998 - Rutgers
2000 - UVA & Arkansas St
2001 - UVA & Vanderbilt
2002 - Temple
2004 - NC State
2005 - Vanderbilt
2006 - Duke
2007 - Vanderbilt
2008 - UVA
2009 - Duke
2010 - UVA
2011 - Duke
2012 - Vanderbilt

PapaBear
August 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
I personally like the approach Richmond has taken to FBS games. The teams have generally been lower ranked, easy for travel & similar schools. While it's amazing to play at a Nebraska or Michigan, why not play games you have a decent chance to win?

Agreed. But the facts show that Maine has had a decent chance to win every FBS game it has played.

Mississippi State is old news but still supports my point.

At Nebraska, we were down 15-7 midway through the 4th Quarter -- and we had the ball. Momentum changed on an INT returned for a TD.

BC game was competitive, too. They only went up 22-0 at the start of the 4th qtr. But for some incredibly timid playcalling, we couldashouldawoulda at least put some points on the board.

UConn ... we'll see. But I don't think anyone would call this a gimme for the Huskies.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Any word on how much Maine is getting paid for this game?

Ronbo
August 2nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Kinnick Stadium is one of the great venues to play at.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?

Ronbo
August 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
One of the great venues to play at. 70,585 fans right on top of you. They sell out every game.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/iowa/graphics/kinnick-night-500w.jpg

Kinnick at night video (http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?content=http://mfile.akamai.com/8108/wmv/cstv.download.akamai.com/8108/open/iowa/06-07/video/m-footbl/10oct/100406_iowaohiostate_m-footbl_featabcopener_.asx&school=iowa&','VideoPlayer','toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbar s=no,width=750,height=460'); void(0))

Gil Dobie
August 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Maine has a chance to win this game. xthumbsupx

NE MT GRIZZ
August 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Iowa? Eh, just a paycheck game for Maine, nothing more.

I think the Iowa coach was the former Maine coach.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Any word on how much Maine is getting paid for this game?
My first Q... if it's even close to what they paid Montana, good for Maine.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
I don't think that anyone in FCS has had a string of FBS games during the past 5 years like Maine has......

2004 - Mississippi State
2005 - Nebraska
2006 - Boston College
2007 - UConn
2008 - Iowa
FWIW, El Cid...
2000 - Clemson
2001 - Georgia Tech
2002 - LSU and Wyoming
2003 - Maryland
2004 - Auburn and Duke
2005 - Florida State and Ole Miss
2006 - Texas A&M and Pitt
2007 - Wisconsin
2008 - Clemson
2009 - South Carolina

THAT has to be the best.

X-Factor
August 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

1998 - Rutgers
2000 - UVA & Arkansas St
2001 - UVA & Vanderbilt
2002 - Temple
2004 - NC State
2005 - Vanderbilt
2006 - Duke
2007 - Vanderbilt
2008 - UVA
2009 - Duke
2010 - UVA
2011 - Duke
2012 - Vanderbilt

What was Richmond's record over these games?

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
I know it's hard to compare teams by non-common opponents, but Iowa smoked Montana last year (no offense to UM). The Griz had only 10 rushing yards for the game. Like many I-AA vs BCS games the Griz hung around for two and a half quarters but they were never really close.

bluehenbillk
August 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Great game for Maine. By the way, when is the last time they made the playoffs?

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Great game for Maine. By the way, when is the last time they made the playoffs?
I hope that's not a dig at them. They did the conference proud by winning at McNeese and at AppSt in back to back appearances in 2001 and 02.

DTSpider
August 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Agreed. But the facts show that Maine has had a decent chance to win every FBS game it has played.

Mississippi State is old news but still supports my point.

At Nebraska, we were down 15-7 midway through the 4th Quarter -- and we had the ball. Momentum changed on an INT returned for a TD.

BC game was competitive, too. They only went up 22-0 at the start of the 4th qtr. But for some incredibly timid playcalling, we couldashouldawoulda at least put some points on the board.

UConn ... we'll see. But I don't think anyone would call this a gimme for the Huskies.

Good point. Although I'd argue Maine's team during that stretch was better than it is now. I'm happy to see Maine play those games, but kind of weird to see Maine go to the midwest. Although, to your defense, I guess there aren't a lot of options close by.

Umass74
August 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
One of the best times I EVER HAD as a FCS fan was listening to the Southern Mississippi feed over the internet while Maine was beating them.xlolx xthumbsupx

crunifan
August 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM

No offense, but are you on crack? Maine hasn't even gotten to the playoffs in a few years and you think they have a chance to walk into Kinnick Stadium and win? I hate the Hawkeyes as much as any UNI fan, but that is just not going to happen. Did you see what the Hawkeyes did to Montana?

BearsCountry
August 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
One of the best times I EVER HAD as a FCS fan was listening to the Southern Mississippi feed over the internet while Maine was beating them.xlolx xthumbsupx

You mean Mississippi State?

Gil Dobie
August 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
I know it's hard to compare teams by non-common opponents, but Iowa smoked Montana last year (no offense to UM). The Griz had only 10 rushing yards for the game. Like many I-AA vs BCS games the Griz hung around for two and a half quarters but they were never really close.

NDSU came close to a Minnesota Team that beat Iowa in Iowa City last year. Any Given Saturday xthumbsupx

Go Bison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
NDSU came close to a Minnesota Team that beat Iowa in Iowa City last year. Any Given Saturday xthumbsupx

Minnesota beat Iowa in the Metrodome last year. Score was 34-24 Minnesota.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Like I said, hard to compare by a chain of opponents, but...

Montana beat Montana State
Montana State beat Colorado
Colorado beat Texas Tech
Texas Tech beat Minnesota
Minnesota beat Iowa

so in fact Montana actually did beat Iowa. :p

Gil Dobie
August 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM

My Bad :(

Umass74
August 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
You mean Mississippi State?

Yes, my bad.

Ronbo
August 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM

It was 17-7 late in the third quarter when our starting QB broke his hand. Iowa leaves in their entire 1st string till the middle of the fourth qtr. and get to 34-7 with an interception for a TD. And then the frikken Iowa Coach goes for a TD with 6 seconds left (instead of taking a knee)to make the score look worse than the game really was. We got dozens of posts from Iowa fans on eGriz about what a tough game it was and how surprised they were that we were only down 17-7 late in the game with the Iowa starters playing the entire game.

It's a shame the FBS schools are forced to run up the score on FCS to look good for poll voters.

andy7171
August 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
I think the Iowa coach was the former Maine coach.
xthumbsupx Kirk Ferenz xthumbsupx

FBS coaches are remembering their roots, Iowa/Maine and TOSU/YSU.

I like it.

biobengal
August 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
How is Maine looking this year? Can they beat Massachusettes at home? What happened last year in RI? I thought little rhody was the whipping boy of the CAA/A10.

I'm moving to Orono this month and would love to see a couple of conference games, especially UMass.

Oh, and I would assume Maine will keep it closer against UConn than Iowa.

xnodx

andy7171
August 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
How is Maine looking this year? Can they beat Massachusettes at home? What happened last year in RI? I thought little rhody was the whipping boy of the CAA/A10.

I'm moving to Orono this month and would love to see a couple of conference games, especially UMass.

Oh, and I would assume Maine will keep it closer against UConn than Iowa.

xnodx
xeekx xeekx xeekx
I hope a very nice promotion and raise comes with this prize!

xwhistlex

biobengal
August 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

xwhistlex

Uh..... explain please!

No raise, no promotion, less play, more school. :o

I've been given the impression the Bangor/Orono/Old Town area is nice.

:(

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
It was 17-7 late in the third quarter when our starting QB broke his hand...
xsmhx some fans just can't admit defeat. I'll be the first to tell you when the Hens get it handed to them.

GeeWiz
August 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
I've been given the impression the Bangor/Orono/Old Town area is nice. :(

It's brutally cold in the late fall and the winter.

So unless you love cold temps it's probably not the most ideal place to relocate for a new job.

andy7171
August 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Uh..... explain please!

No raise, no promotion, less play, more school. :o

I've been given the impression the Bangor/Orono/Old Town area is nice.

:(
Kidding mostly. :p
I've only been once, late November.

Buy a good coat.

DuckDuckGriz
August 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Good for Maine, I like how they are shifting through all the major conferences (Big XII, SEC,) and now the Big 10.

mainejeff
August 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Good point. Although I'd argue Maine's team during that stretch was better than it is now. I'm happy to see Maine play those games, but kind of weird to see Maine go to the midwest. Although, to your defense, I guess there aren't a lot of options close by.

There really aren't and we already scheduled both FBS teams in New England (BC in 2006 and UConn this coming season).

mainejeff
August 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx

xwhistlex

Yeah.....too bad he can't move to beautiful Baltimore instead and deal with the crime, traffic, pollution, and urban blight.........xwhistlex

mainejeff
August 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
It's brutally cold in the late fall and the winter.

So unless you love cold temps it's probably not the most ideal place to relocate for a new job.

Yes, and when Bangor is 0 degrees, Boston is 15.........whoopee!

PapaBear
August 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Good for Maine, I like how they are shifting through all the major conferences (Big XII, SEC,) and now the Big 10.

Yeah, I believe we have USC in 2009.

I'm kidding. I'm KIDDING!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Actually, the early talk I'm hearing is either Pitt or BC (again) in '09.

But it's way too early...

biobengal
August 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM

According to MSN weather Orono is only slightly colder than Pocatello, my home town.

IMO, the people that have a hard time in cold climates are those that don't get out much. Me, I plan on X-Country skiing, ice fishing, riding snowmachines, etc.. xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
August 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Another great game and paycheck for the Black Bears! I don't think that anyone in FCS has had a string of FBS games during the past 5 years like Maine has......

2004 - Mississippi State
2005 - Nebraska
2006 - Boston College
2007 - UConn
2008 - Iowa

Go Black Bears! I remeber when you guys beat Mississippi State. You played well against Nebraska. I went to the BC game last season and though you guys got shut out, you put up a good defense against what is a very BC offense. I hope you guys CRUSH UCONN.

I'll never forget that game we had with you guys last season. I've never gotten so soaked at a football game in my life; not even in my playing days. At least we won so it made up for the cold I caught the next day.

Seawolf97
August 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Good for Maine! Im looking forward to our game against them in October.

GeeWiz
August 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM

In Moose country there's a difference between temps! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
There really aren't and we already scheduled both FBS teams in New England (BC in 2006 and UConn this coming season).

Be nice if you could've scheduled Syracuse while they're down. Aren't they the next closest to Maine after BC and UConn?

WVU is picked to win the Big East. Louisville is picked to finish 2nd.

"Rutgers was picked third and USF, which returns most of the key players from last year's 8-4 squad, was fourth. Cincinnati was picked fifth, followed by Pittsburgh, Connecticut and Syracuse."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2939818

GOKATS
August 2nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
It was 17-7 late in the third quarter when our starting QB broke his hand. Iowa leaves in their entire 1st string till the middle of the fourth qtr. and get to 34-7 with an interception for a TD. And then the frikken Iowa Coach goes for a TD with 6 seconds left (instead of taking a knee)to make the score look worse than the game really was.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.........................xbawli ngx xbawlingx xbawlingx

SOSxwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

GOKATS
August 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM

Bobcats open at Minnesota next year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
According to MSN weather Orono is only slightly colder than Pocatello, my home town.

IMO, the people that have a hard time in cold climates are those that don't get out much. Me, I plan on X-Country skiing, ice fishing, riding snowmachines, etc.. xsmiley_wix

Your headed to the right place if you enjoy any of those things.

Less then 2 hours from Moosehead Lake.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mainejeff
August 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Maine is receiving $400,000 for the Iowa game. They are receiving $200,000 for the UConn game (a bus trip). They had received $350,000 from Nebraska and Mississippi State, and $200,000 last season from BC.

Mountain Panther
August 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM

2004 - Mississippi State
2005 - Nebraska
2006 - Boston College
2007 - UConn
2008 - Iowa

I would advise any Maine fan to make the trip. Iowa City is a great game day experience.

Go Bison
August 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Bobcats open at Minnesota next year.

Are many Bobcat fans looking to make the trip? I would consider going to the game and cheering with the Bobcat fans if NDSU doesn't have a home game that weekend. At the last NDSU/MSU game I met gtapp(Bobcat Nation). Good guy.

andy7171
August 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah.....too bad he can't move to beautiful Baltimore instead and deal with the crime, traffic, pollution, and urban blight.........xwhistlex

Come for the crime, stay for the blight! xpeacex

JMUFortier
August 3rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Congrats on getting another BCS team to play you. As for going to Orono, yes the winters can be cold (at least you are not in Fort Kent) but if you love the quiet outdoors, you'll be in heaven. And if you drive north of town, you will actually see NO traffic on I-95...you never see that anywhere else on the road (and I have traveled most of that road too).

RadMann
August 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
I like UD's approach of playing more local programs like Navy and Maryland, but it is cool that Maine is playing in such big time settings. Most programs at this level could use a money game like this each year if they can get it.