PDA

View Full Version : Coastal to play 1st FBS opponent

Footix
August 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/111/story/145391.html

Coastal Carolina will open the 2008 football season at a Big 10 powerhouse, the first time the Chanticleers will play against a Football Bowl Series (formerly Division I-A) team.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM

Coastal Carolina will open the 2008 football season at Big 10 powerhouse Penn State, the first time the Chanticleers will play against a Football Bowl Series (formerly Division I-A) team.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Early Line is Coastal by 3 xthumbsupx

CCU2003
August 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
This one's gunna be bad. I've been to many PSU games and many CCU games, but this will be tough to watch. I hope our team matures a lot this year or it's gunna be ugly! Geez, not even an in-betweener like Bowling Green or Akron, jumping right up to PSU as our first BSC. xeekx

Coach Bennett's known about this game for a while, I hope he's been thinking up a few trick plays/schemes to keep the beach chickens in it.....

At least I'll be able to scalp a ticket to the game for around $5!! Probably lower level at that!!!

trusty
August 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM

Coastal Carolina will open the 2008 football season at a Big 10 powerhouse, the first time the Chanticleers will play against a Football Bowl Series (formerly Division I-A) team.

Good luck CCU, it will be good experience for your team and coaches.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
This one's gunna be bad. I've been to many PSU games and many CCU games, but this will be tough to watch. I hope our team matures a lot this year or it's gunna be ugly! Geez, not even an in-betweener like Bowling Green or Akron, jumping right up to PSU as our first BSC. xeekx

Coach Bennett's known about this game for a while, I hope he's been thinking up a few trick plays/schemes to keep the beach chickens in it.....

At least I'll be able to scalp a ticket to the game for around $5!! Probably lower level at that!!!

Penn State pays more than Akronxnodx

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Congrats to Coastal for getting this game, but im surpised Penn State scheduled them. Penn State would never schedule FCS teams until Youngstown last year, but I guess sicne Ohio State and Michigan are playing FCS schools Penn State think its ok too.

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Congrats to Coastal for getting this game, but im surpised Penn State scheduled them. Penn State would never schedule FCS teams until Youngstown last year, but I guess sicne Ohio State and Michigan are playing FCS schools Penn State think its ok too.

May have to do with the 12 game schedule.

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'm also surprised that their first I-A game isn't USC or Klempson. xeyebrowx

SuperJon
August 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Coastal AD = Penn St alum

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
JoePa must be really hard up to pass Bobby Bowden.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 12:00 PM

Also I have read before that their is "bad blood" between the garnet chickies and the teal ones. Not sure of all the details but I think it had something to do with CCU at one time being part of the USC sytem. (ie, USC - Conway)

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Also I have read before that their is "bad blood" between the garnet chickies and the teal ones. Not sure of all the details but I think it had something to do with CCU at one time being part of the USC sytem. (ie, USC - Conway)
My brother-in-law spent a semester at CCU in preparation to go to USC. I always got the impression that USC viewed CCU as their minor league franchise.

mrklean
August 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Good luck CCU. Get at them!!!!!!!!!!

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Coastal AD = Penn St alum

Joe PA does take care of his own, but I would have liked to see Penn State play a Northeastern team such as Villanova, Delaware, UNH etc.

RaiderInTheZone
August 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM

Since the revision starting last season where one victory against a 1-AA team will count towards a 1-A team's bowl eligibility every year instead of once every four years, you'll see more 1-A's scheduling 1-AA teams. You'll also see the dollar value on games against 1-AA teams go up.

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
Since the revision starting last season where one victory against a 1-AA team will count towards a 1-A team's bowl eligibility every year instead of once every four years, you'll see more 1-A's scheduling 1-AA teams. You'll also see the dollar value on games against 1-AA teams go up.

I understand why it makes sense to do so now, but I am a little surprised so many of teh traditiona powerhouse schools are scheduling FCS schools

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
My brother-in-law spent a semester at CCU in preparation to go to USC. I always got the impression that USC viewed CCU as their minor league franchise.

I never got the impression the bad blood was between athletics but administrationxnodx

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
You'll also see the dollar value on games against 1-AA teams go up.
We've seen a little bit of that already. Iowa paid Montana a fortune to come there last year. I haven't seen any payouts from this year though.

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Joe PA does take care of his own, but I would have liked to see Penn State play a Northeastern team such as Villanova, Delaware, UNH etc.

I would've enjoyed that too.

PSUVikings
August 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Tell your players to wear ear plugs.

Tod
August 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
I understand why it makes sense to do so now, but I am a little surprised so many of teh traditiona powerhouse schools are scheduling FCS schools

Me, too. Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State? xeekx

Kind of cool, though.

CopperCat
August 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Play to win CCU. Good luck!!! I'm rootin' for ya to the end!

rokamortis
August 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Our first FBS contract was signed with Clemson, but for 2014. Don't hold your breath for a USC game - we have a better chance of playing Southern Cal.

rokamortis
August 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Coastal is getting $450,000 for this game.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/146219.html

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Coastal is getting $450,000 for this game.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/146219.html

That's typical for larger FBS vs an FCS.

MarkCCU
August 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM

Sweet. This is exciting.

phillyAPP
August 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Sweet. This is exciting.

It is exciting and the beginning of the next step in your football program.

Don't worry about the score in these games just enjoy the ride and hopefully the team will find confidence in playing hard against the FBS.

BEAT PENN STATE !!!

g-webb1994
August 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Nice job CCU!xthumbsupx With JoePa's increasing senility, CCU has a shot to pull the upset!

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Our first FBS contract was signed with Clemson, but for 2014. Don't hold your breath for a USC game - we have a better chance of playing Southern Cal.
I guess they are full, but are you saying they would play all the other I-AA's in the state (except CSU), but not you? You need to get on their schedule.

South Carolina State

Wofford

The Citadel

Furman

South Carolina State

Wofford

The Citadel

Furman

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
I guess they are full, but are you saying they would play all the other I-AA's in the state (except CSU), but not you? You need to get on their schedule.

South Carolina State

Wofford

The Citadel

Furman

South Carolina State

Wofford

The Citadel

Furman

I tried to explain to you. You no listenxnonono2x

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
I tried to explain to you. You no listenxnonono2x
C'mon, it can't be that bad. How could one state school not play another state school in the same damn state??? xsmhx :o :p

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
C'mon, it can't be that bad. How could one state school not play another state school in the same damn state??? xsmhx :o :p

When are you guys playing Del Stxeyebrowx xlolx

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
When are you guys playing Del Stxeyebrowx xlolx

xsmiley_wix

CoastalFan2005
August 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
C'mon, it can't be that bad.

Oh, it's that bad. It's bad enough that I believe USCarolina has recieved donations with the implicit understanding that the only way they would recieve said donation is if they agreed to never schedule us in a regular-season athletic event, or something along those lines (this is going off of rumors I've heard, though).

Suffice it to say - I'm really not sure there could be a group of people that like CCU less than some folks at USC do. xtwocentsx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM

I'd love for you to ask UVA the same thing about JMU, but I think we all know why the Cavs are skeeered of the Dukes - Gary Clark, Charles Haley anybody??? :D

phillyAPP
August 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

NC State might be the last for a long time for us. CHICKENS !!!!!!, no offense 89Hen.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
I am always amazed at how certain state FBS teams will not play the in-state FCS team. Georgia TEch and GSU, Auburn or Alabama and JSU.

Clemson has always been good at playing FU.
USC has sporadically played FCS teams. They didn't play them as often as they should have because they didn't like the embarrassment of getting beat. I think 12 games and Spurrier have changed that way of thinking.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'd love for you to ask UVA the same thing about JMU, but I think we all know why the Cavs are skeeered of the Dukes - Gary Clark, Charles Haley anybody??? :D
UVA actually offered to put JMU in the rotation with W&M and Richmond, but JMU decided they didn't want to be embarassed so close to Harrisonburg. :D

Tealblood
August 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Historically we say we were founded in 1954 which is true under first the umbrella of the College of Charleston then a few years later we moved into the USC system
We were USC-Coastal Carolina College until 1993 when we with help from the governor( Carroll Campbell ) and some friendly legislators and in my opinion a weak moment from the Pres of USC ( Palms ) we gained our independence.

Some members of the USC Board of Trustees are still highly pissed and a couple of them are major givers to USC as well ( the name of one can be seen on the building inside USC's football stadium )
These guys have told coaches and the AD don not schedule them in any sport. In the last 7-8 years we have had one team play them girls softball and only because the softball coach at USC ( who is very sucessful) said she would play us because our softball coach is a 25 year member of the Gamecock club( He is a graduate of USC as well ).

That is why in a nut shell why you will not see us play USC-Columbia.

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM

Or maybe Colgate, which PSU has played 19 times. (PSU leads the series 14-4-1 - last game in 1980).

CCU97
August 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Historically we say we were founded in 1954 which is true under first the umbrella of the College of Charleston then a few years later we moved into the USC system
We were USC-Coastal Carolina College until 1993 when we with help from the governor( Carroll Campbell ) and some friendly legislators and in my opinion a weak moment from the Pres of USC ( Palms ) we gained our independence.

Some members of the USC Board of Trustees are still highly pissed and a couple of them are major givers to USC as well ( the name of one can be seen on the building inside USC's football stadium )
These guys have told coaches and the AD don not schedule them in any sport. In the last 7-8 years we have had one team play them girls softball and only because the softball coach at USC ( who is very sucessful) said she would play us because our softball coach is a 25 year member of the Gamecock club( He is a graduate of USC as well ).

That is why in a nut shell why you will not see us play USC-Columbia.

The only part you left out Teal is that they began to get pissed when we were still USC- Coastal and were beating them every two or three tries in baseball and beat them once in basketball in the 90's...That and for the most part have either beaten them or given them all they could handle in soccer for years. They felt ashamed that the child was beating the parent and that was part of the trustee mandate as well as the seperation.

South Carolina will never schedule Coastal....they will only play us in a playoff that is forced by the NCAA.

Franks Tanks
August 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Or maybe Colgate, which PSU has played 19 times. (PSU leads the series 14-4-1 - last game in 1980).

That would be even better, just felt not as likely as I believe the PL would count toward bowl eligibility but wasnt 100% sure. Do you have any insight on this? Of cousre I am also a Penn State apoligist as well, I cant help it every single member of my family other than myself attended Penn State.

Go...gate
August 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
That would be even better, just felt not as likely as I believe the PL would count toward bowl eligibility but wasnt 100% sure. Do you have any insight on this? Of cousre I am also a Penn State apoligist as well, I cant help it every single member of my family other than myself attended Penn State.

Like you, I'm a Nittany Lion but by adoption - and happily so. I went to the Dickinson School of Law back in the old days. It is now Penn State University-Dickinson School of Law.

I think you are right about that "counter" thing. PL teams do not make the cut as I-AA "counters" because we are technically "non-scholarship", notwithstanding the fact that we give equivalencies.

Seawolf97
August 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I wish Coastal well against Penn State. We wont see and FBS team until 2010 when we play Rutgers -looking forward to that.

SCPALADIN
August 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Penn State pays more than Akronxnodx
Absolutely correct...
As an Akron Zips fan (second to FU of course), what incentive would there be for Akron, or any other MAC team for that matter, to play CCU? I-AA teams are much better off in the $$ department playing large FBS teams and pocketing a nice payout.
Just my $.02
Cheers

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Penn St is already taking shots from the media in regards to the schedule...

Penn State's non-con schedule takes downturn
Friday, August 03, 2007
From staff reports

Where once there was a Nebraska or a Notre Dame, there will be an Arkansas State. And an Eastern Michigan.

If you're looking for a meaty Penn State non-conference home game in 2008 and 2009 to build your fall around, you're out of luck.

The Nittany Lions recently released the majority of their non-conference schedule for those seasons and there isn't much to look at.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186098922298470.xml&coll=1

bodoyle
August 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
The only part you left out Teal is that they began to get pissed when we were still USC- Coastal and were beating them every two or three tries in baseball and beat them once in basketball in the 90's...That and for the most part have either beaten them or given them all they could handle in soccer for years. They felt ashamed that the child was beating the parent and that was part of the trustee mandate as well as the seperation.

South Carolina will never schedule Coastal....they will only play us in a playoff that is forced by the NCAA.

11-1-2002 we beat #21 south carolina 3-0 (Joe had 2 goals) We were 15-0 at that point and finished the season ranked #24 in the country.

11-5-2004 we beat #25 south carolina 3-2 We were 11-6 at that point. Boyzzz scored the game winner with :49 left in the match. We were 15th in the Preseason rankings but ended out of the Top 25 and in teh Top 35.

That was all I could find since 2000.

ucdtim17
August 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Penn St is already taking shots from the media in regards to the schedule...

They deserve it

CCU97
August 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
How do they deserve it? The vast majority of FBS teams who are in BCS conferences are starting to play FCS teams since 1 game against FCS teams counts toward the BCS standings.

Cap'n Cat
August 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Play to win CCU. Good luck!!! I'm rootin' for ya to the end!

Ditto, Chickens.

In my senior year at UNI, we played a I-A for the first time ever at Kansas State. We were confident, but a little wary. We got the ball first and had a disastrous three-n-out, Cap'n Cat having given up an ugly sack, even, if you can believe it! :D

I remember coming to the sideline and our ordinarily fiery offensive line coach was gentle and simply said, "Hey, these guys put their pants on the same way you do. Go out and take it to 'em". And we did. We won 10-6, or something. Their coach got fired after the press conference.

Now, Kansas State circa 1985 is no 2007 Penn State. Nevertheless, it's just two teams matched up on a field of grass. Take it to 'em!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ucdtim17
August 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
How do they deserve it? The vast majority of FBS teams who are in BCS conferences are starting to play FCS teams since 1 game against FCS teams counts toward the BCS standings.

It's not just that - it's playing one FCS game and 3 crappy FBS games.

Penn State moving to less glitzy non-con schedule
Posted by PennLive.com August 03, 2007 09:40AM
Categories: Penn State, Penn State Football

Penn State football's 2008 non-con schedule is nothing like this year's. Fans are anticipating the Sept. 8 match-up against Notre Dame and the forums are filling up with comments and responses about the upcoming season. But I have a feeling that next year around this time, the forums are going to be just a little muted. This week, the media guide showed the Nittany Lions will be matched-up against teams like Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State in the years to come.

While it's being touted as a "downturn," I say that you never know what may happen. While these matches may seem like easy wins for Penn State, I say you wait and watch and see what happens for yourself. Maybe the Nittany Lions will easily defeat Coastal Carolina and Arkansas State, but you know there's always the possibility that they might be challenged. And it could turn into a game you cannot - and should not - miss.

While I'm sure most people are correct in assuming that Penn State will have no problem in beating its scheduled games for 2008's non-con, there's always the chance that the underdog may give us a scare. You never know what's going to happen.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2007/08/penn_state_non-conference.html

ucdtim17
August 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
And playing a mediocre OOC schedule in the Big 10, when they sometimes miss some of the 3 other heavyweights. They should sign a long-term contract with ND