PDA

View Full Version : Look at what Some person on Youtube Said: (Regards NDSU and App. St.)

Zoo
July 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
A comment someone left on the FCS Championship Video on youtube:

"North Dakota State could have killed appalachian state. Its really dumb cause they cant get into the playoffs cause their conference is so small. GO BISON!!!"

Here's the link if anyone's interested:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cjl-c7bn5zE

I certainly don't think that NDSU could "kill" App. State, I would think it'll be a great game.

jmuroller
July 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
ND St. can't play in the playoffs because they have all D2 recruits...let's see how they fair with nothing but D1AA recruits. That's why they have the waiting period.

james_lawfirm
July 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
"North Dakota State could have killed appalachian state. Its really dumb cause they cant get into the playoffs cause their conference is so small. GO BISON!!!"

We'll see. The great thing about the FCS is we settle it on the field. I think NDSU gets into the playoffs in '08 (if they're good enough.) Good luck.

blur2005
July 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
ND St. can't play in the playoffs because they have all D2 recruits...let's see how they fair with nothing but D1AA recruits. That's why they have the waiting period.
Uh, no. It's because they transitioned from DII to now FCS. It has nothing to do with their recruits. If those are just DII recruits at NDSU the way they played last year, I don't want to know how good they can be with legitimate D-I players.

Also, I replied on this video because that guy obviously had no clue what he was talking about.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Every recruit we have from the 2003 high school class was subjected to DI standards since they were freshmen.

bisonguy
July 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The only way NDSU would have killed ASU last year is if all the Appalachian State players had one arm tied behind their backs and had to hop on one foot.

BrevardMountaineer03
July 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM
We'll see. The great thing about the FCS is we settle it on the field. I think NDSU gets into the playoffs in '08 (if they're good enough.) Good luck.

I think that it would be great game. Nothing against NDSU, but it sounds like the person is ignorant. It would be a good game. NDSU is a good team. But so is ASU!
Go APP!!

swaghook
July 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Also, I replied on this video because that guy obviously had no clue what he was talking about.

I wouldn't assume GUY I would be more likely to assume it was a young kid who is a Bison fan. Give him time he will learn(or at least we can hope ;) )

jmuroller
July 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Uh, no. It's because they transitioned from DII to now FCS. It has nothing to do with their recruits. If those are just DII recruits at NDSU the way they played last year, I don't want to know how good they can be with legitimate D-I players.

That is why they have to go through the transition period..because most of their players were admitted with D2 standards, not D1. Almost every school that goes from D2 to D1AA has great success the first few years. Look at a school like Elon. They had a few great years as soon as they moved up, then look what they have done since then...nothing at best. I'm not saying ND St. can't keep this up, but only time will tell.

jmuroller
July 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Every recruit we have from the 2003 high school class was subjected to DI standards since they were freshmen.

Exactly...since they were FRESHMAN..meaning as soon as they got on campus.

I bet some of their grades and test scores weren't up to D1 requirements, but were good enough for D2, which are lower than D1.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Then you'd lose the bet.

ucdtim17
July 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
That is why they have to go through the transition period..because most of their players were admitted with D2 standards, not D1. Almost every school that goes from D2 to D1AA has great success the first few years. Look at a school like Elon. They had a few great years as soon as they moved up, then look what they have done since then...nothing at best. I'm not saying ND St. can't keep this up, but only time will tell.

That's an odd angle to take. You're trying to say D2 talent is better because they don't have the same admission standards? A lot of transitioning teams don't play full DI schedules until the end of the transition. It's harder to recruit guys at the beginning when there's no hope of playoffs for several years. There are all sorts of other factors. I know in our case, we've clearly been getting players for the last 4 years that we didn't get in D2. Our talent level is way up - if we struggle in DI it will not be because our talent level has gone down

bisonwest
July 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
NDSU/APP.ST game would be a battle! NDSU is here to stay!(unless we move up)

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Would have been a GREAT match-up, but I don't think either team would have "killed" the other.

blueballs
July 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I had a front row (literally) seat to see NDSU and ASU both play GSU on the same field within 2 weeks of each other last year.

I thought NDSU would have defeated ASU by 10 or more points simply because it would have been a bad matchup for ASU due to NDSU's run defense and size on the offensive line. One could have also made a very strong case for NDSU receiving the #1 overall seed last year had they been playoff eligible (SoCon wasn't that good last year IMO).

Obviously these two teams were the class (along with Umass) of the division last year (ASU was a team for the ages) so who really knows? It would have definitely been interesting to see.

This is in NO WAY meant to be disrespectful towards ASU as they won the title outright and lost no games in the division- which only a handful of teams have ever done and as I said earlier I think they were a team for the ages; just one man's opinion based on live observation vs. the same opponent, on the same field, in a relative short time frame.

Zoo
July 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Would have been a GREAT match-up, but I don't think either team would have "killed" the other.

I'll have to agree with you on this.

Lionsrking
July 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
That's an odd angle to take. You're trying to say D2 talent is better because they don't have the same admission standards? A lot of transitioning teams don't play full DI schedules until the end of the transition. It's harder to recruit guys at the beginning when there's no hope of playoffs for several years. There are all sorts of other factors. I know in our case, we've clearly been getting players for the last 4 years that we didn't get in D2. Our talent level is way up - if we struggle in DI it will not be because our talent level has gone down

I don't think anyone is saying D-II schools have better talent overall, but they have access to players that FCS schools ordinarily would not. If a kid is an SEC/Big Ten type talent but can't get into a D-I school, he will likely end up in D-II. If the same player is D-I eligible, chances are he never gets to an FCS. A D-II coach with the right connections could load up on those types of kids. I know when we first moved up to I-AA from D-II back in 1980, we had a lot of guys on our roster who did not qualify to play D-I. We beat Boise State in our very first game and they went on to win the I-AA National Championship that year. I also believe Cal-Poly beat them that year as well and they were D-II at the time.

TheBisonator
July 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Just for the record, this year's NDSU football team has NO PLAYERS that were recruited under Division II requirements. By the time this year's redshirt seniors were recruited back in 2003, we were already entering the exploratory period (Year 1) of the transition. Every current player on our team is a Division I recruit.

RabidRabbit
July 31st, 2007, 07:03 AM
NDSU and App ST. were the only TWO xthumbsupx xthumbsupx teams that were undefeated vs I-AA (FCS) teams in 2006.xbowx xbowx

NDSU exceeded this AGS voter's expectations. xsmiley_wix And having voted a #12 preseason choice #1 in 2006, that's saying a lot.

App St. did what they needed to do to be very dominant in 2006. xnodx xnodx

It's a shame that App St. wasn't willing to play away in 2007, for a home in 2008 vs. Bison. I think it could have happened, but the Michigan game is a great experience for the Mountaineers.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2007, 07:59 AM
NDSU and App ST. were the only TWO xthumbsupx xthumbsupx teams that were undefeated vs I-AA (FCS) teams in 2006.xbowx xbowx

NDSU exceeded this AGS voter's expectations. xsmiley_wix And having voted a #12 preseason choice #1 in 2006, that's saying a lot.

App St. did what they needed to do to be very dominant in 2006. xnodx xnodx

It's a shame that App St. wasn't willing to play away in 2007, for a home in 2008 vs. Bison. I think it could have happened, but the Michigan game is a great experience for the Mountaineers.

It's shame NDSU wasn't willing to come to Boone in 2007. Too, it's hard to make money traveling to NCDSU. Much more money can be made off a local team without a return trip than traveling H and H to NCDSU. I mean Geez, we drew 24,000 for Mars Hill (the Chance's alma mater) last year.

Newcomers can't be choosers.

Franks Tanks
July 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM

I bet some of their grades and test scores weren't up to D1 requirements, but were good enough for D2, which are lower than D1.

MPLS BISon is right on this one, they have been recruiting guys who meet the D1 academic standards since they begna to transition to D1, therefore everyone on their team should be D1 compatible

Saint3333
July 31st, 2007, 08:08 AM
I had a front row (literally) seat to see NDSU and ASU both play GSU on the same field within 2 weeks of each other last year.

I thought NDSU would have defeated ASU by 10 or more points simply because it would have been a bad matchup for ASU due to NDSU's run defense and size on the offensive line. One could have also made a very strong case for NDSU receiving the #1 overall seed last year had they been playoff eligible (SoCon wasn't that good last year IMO).

Obviously these two teams were the class (along with Umass) of the division last year (ASU was a team for the ages) so who really knows? It would have definitely been interesting to see.

This is in NO WAY meant to be disrespectful towards ASU as they won the title outright and lost no games in the division- which only a handful of teams have ever done and as I said earlier I think they were a team for the ages; just one man's opinion based on live observation vs. the same opponent, on the same field, in a relative short time frame.

ASU on 12/15 > ASU in mid-October. Thanks for kind words though. The SoCon was probably the weakest it has been since 2003, but the SoCon will be back in 2007 I believe.

Sir William
July 31st, 2007, 09:02 AM
All these continued complaints about NDSU not getting into the playoffs last year, and claims that they would beat APP are old, lame, and tired.

Now before the Bison nation goes off on me, let me say that I think NDSU is a great addition to IAA (I prefer this desigation over "FCS"), and I think they apparently have some great fans, which is also good for IAA. But the facts and rules are that when a team moves up from D2, there is a waiting period before they are eligible for the IAA playoffs. Everyone knows it, and every team coming into the league knows it.

The point is that APP is the national champ, period, undisputably! One day, if and when NDSU wins the championship, there will be a team (say like Chadron State for example) who will be new to IAA, and they will stew and spew about the fact that they aren't in the playoffs but could manhandle the Bison. Then the NDSU fans will know how the rest of us feel about this ongoing dribble.

Bison, I salute you for your excellence in and love for football. And I welcome you wholeheartedly to IAA. But it's time to give this debate a rest. APP is the champ and will be until someone knocks 'em off. And being a Furman fan, that's not easy for me to acknowledge :) , but it is nonetheless true.

Go Bison
July 31st, 2007, 09:20 AM
All these continued complaints about NDSU not getting into the playoffs last year, and claims that they would beat APP are old, lame, and tired.

Now before the Bison nation goes off on me, let me say that I think NDSU is a great addition to IAA (I prefer this desigation over "FCS"), and I think they apparently have some great fans, which is also good for IAA. But the facts and rules are that when a team moves up from D2, there is a waiting period before they are eligible for the IAA playoffs. Everyone knows it, and every team coming into the league knows it.

The point is that APP is the national champ, period, undisputably! One day, if and when NDSU wins the championship, there will be a team (say like Chadron State for example) who will be new to IAA, and they will stew and spew about the fact that they aren't in the playoffs but could manhandle the Bison. Then the NDSU fans will know how the rest of us feel about this ongoing dribble.

Bison, I salute you for your excellence in and love for football. And I welcome you wholeheartedly to IAA. But it's time to give this debate a rest. APP is the champ and will be until someone knocks 'em off. And being a Furman fan, that's not easy for me to acknowledge :) , but it is nonetheless true.

What gets old, tired, and lame is people putting words in Bison fan's mouths. This tread started with "look at what someone said on youtube." We don't even know who this person is. If it was someone at AGS I could see talking about it. People post smack all the time on youtube.

In this tread and many other thread there is not a Bison fan that says they would have beaten App State. blueballs thinks that NDSU would have won, but he is not a Bison fan! Most say it would have been a great game or they say the rules are the rules.

Go Bison
July 31st, 2007, 09:25 AM
It's shame NDSU wasn't willing to come to Boone in 2007. Too, it's hard to make money traveling to NCDSU. Much more money can be made off a local team without a return trip than traveling H and H to NCDSU. I mean Geez, we drew 24,000 for Mars Hill (the Chance's alma mater) last year.

Who is NCDSU?

FargoBison
July 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I don't think Bison fans are challanging anything here, most agree that App is the champ and as you can see in my avatar the team's rings say GWFC champs not mythical FCS champs. For the most part the people saying NDSU could have won the title or its shame they can't be in the playoffs are non-NDSU fans. Don't get me wrong I love hearing that kind of stuff because it speaks to how solid our program has become. That said, for a team that went 10-1 and only lost to an FBS team by 1 point I would say Bison fans have been very respectful to App State. Sure a few have whined but most have accepted the fact the rules are the rules and have given App State their due for running the very tough gauntlet that is the FCS playoffs.

Sir William
July 31st, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't think Bison fans are challanging anything here, most agree that App is the champ and as you can see in my avatar the team's rings say GWFC champs not mythical FCS champs. For the most part the people saying NDSU could have won the title or its shame they can't be in the playoffs are non-NDSU fans. Don't get me wrong I love hearing that kind of stuff because it speaks to how solid our program has become. That said, for a team that went 10-1 and only lost to an FBS team by 1 point I would say Bison fans have been very respectful to App State. Sure a few have whined but most have accepted the fact the rules are the rules and have given App State their due for running the very tough gauntlet that is the FCS playoffs.

Yes, you are exactly right. I have seen that many Bison fans have been very cordial on this issue xbowx ; thus I noted my belief that NDSU must have some fine fans.

My very best to the Bison nation.

McNeese75
July 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM

ASU is starting to sound like certain other schools and conferences. It's becoming all about the money. xsmhx The Southland is usually willing to travel about anywhere for a home and home arrangement (just ask the Great West)

RabidRabbit
July 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM
ASU is starting to sound like certain other schools and conferences. It's becoming all about the money. xsmhx The Southland is usually willing to travel about anywhere for a home and home arrangement (just ask the Great West)

We in the Great West, and in transition, xbowx xbowx xbowx to our good Southland Neighbors!

Hope as we transfer to the Gateway, and the Southland grows, that we can still find the resources for a good match-up between power teams that have marked the match-ups of GWFC teams vs Southland. Home and Home's are the way to go, rather than one and dones!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
July 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
We in the Great West, and in transition, xbowx xbowx xbowx to our good Southland Neighbors!

Hope as we transfer to the Gateway, and the Southland grows, that we can still find the resources for a good match-up between power teams that have marked the match-ups of GWFC teams vs Southland. Home and Home's are the way to go, rather than one and dones!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I agree 100%. I hope that the XDSU's in the future can keep scheduling 2-3 games per year against Cal-Poly, UC Davis, SUU, and the Southland teams.

JMU1992
July 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM

Have I missed something? Where can I find information that says the test scores and grade requirements for DII are lower than DI? I would think it depends on the university.

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM

I heard $125,000 for ASU to come to Fargo. How much was ASU willing to pay NDSU to come to Boone?

Franks Tanks
August 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
Have I missed something? Where can I find information that says the test scores and grade requirements for DII are lower than DI? I would think it depends on the university.

I dont have the numbers but the D-II minumum to pass the NCAA clearinghouse is less than DI. It is of course still based on who the institution wants to let in. But in many instances a student -athlete will not meet the minimum DI academic requirements, but qualify for D-II

SoCon48
August 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM
I heard $125,000 for ASU to come to Fargo. How much was ASU willing to pay NDSU to come to Boone?

Beats me, but we'll make a hell of a lot more off the locals who come to Boone with a crowd of 25,000 at 20 to 25 bucks a pop.
$125K would just about cover the travel expenses to Fargo..

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2007, 08:48 AM
Beats me, but we'll make a hell of a lot more off the locals who come to Boone with a crowd of 25,000 at 20 to 25 bucks a pop.
$125K would just about cover the travel expenses to Fargo..

In other words, not $125K ;)

SoCon48
August 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
I have no idea and neither do you. But $125k is chicken feed for a game across the country.
I would hope our admin would be smart enough to make it a home and home so we could keep all the dough when you came to Boone.

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
I have no idea and neither do you. But $125k is chicken feed for a game across the country.
I would hope our admin would be smart enough to make it a home and home so we could keep all the dough when you came to Boone.

;) means just kidding xeyebrowx

Not many teams are willing to do home and home with the Bison. Several Southland Teams, Weber St, and GSU is scheduled are on the list of good guys. This year NDSU needed a home game to fill out and balance it's schedule.