PDA

View Full Version : STILL NO RESPECT FOR MONMOUTH

MUHAWKS
April 18th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Do not get me wrong, we think we are good and know eventually you have to play top top teams. Also, we are excited for this challenge and understand this is not a typical year. However, the draw we got is absurd. Had Kennesaw State beaten us there is NO WAY IN HELL the committee would have sent them to Sam Houston. That really is not my main gripe. My main gripe is how does Sacred heart get a bus trip to Delaware who is a very beatable team and we do not get that game? In the time of Covid where travel is a concern and also money being tight, why does a team ranked in the top 13 in every poll who just smashed the committee darling go to play the # 2 seed on a plane while an unranked team gets a bus trip to play an un seeded team? I cannot understand why Sacred Heart got rewarded and we did not. Tougher schedule, ranked way higher and this is what we get? I am not saying Delaware is a patsy. But let's be real- There would not be a ton of people shocked if Delaware lost to Monmouth or if sacred heart plays them tough whereas if MU even plays within 2 scores to Sammy people will take notice. This is a blatant disrespect and in the end we are excited about the challenge but really thought MU @ Delaware was the game.

WestCoastAggie
April 18th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Do not get me wrong, we think we are good and know eventually you have to play top top teams. Also, we are excited for this challenge and understand this is not a typical year. However, the draw we got is absurd. Had Kennesaw State beaten us there is NO WAY IN HELL the committee would have sent them to Sam Houston. That really is not my main gripe. My main gripe is how does Sacred heart get a bus trip to Delaware who is a very beatable team and we do not get that game? In the time of Covid where travel is a concern and also money being tight, why does a team ranked in the top 13 in every poll who just smashed the committee darling go to play the # 2 seed on a plane while an unranked team gets a bus trip to play an un seeded team? I cannot understand why Sacred Heart got rewarded and we did not. Tougher schedule, ranked way higher and this is what we get? I am not saying Delaware is a patsy. But let's be real- There would not be a ton of people shocked if Delaware lost to Monmouth or if sacred heart plays them tough whereas if MU even plays within 2 scores to Sammy people will take notice. This is a blatant disrespect and in the end we are excited about the challenge but really thought MU @ Delaware was the game.

Win and leave no doubt.

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 04:14 PM
2 scores probably lead to most of the disrespect:

FCS 1st round scores:
2019: JMU 66 Monmouth 21
2017: UNI 46 Monmouth 7

Outscored 112-28

Quite obvious that the commitee viewed Sacred Heart, Monmouth, & Holy Cross the last of the 16 selected.
Like the post above says win & they will get some respect. xpeacex

Hammerhead
April 18th, 2021, 04:15 PM
The NCAA if paying travel expenses so I'm not sure what you mean about money being tight. If the NCAA was really concerned about saving money, they would have waived the rule that eliminates rematches in the first round and had NDSU or UND bussing to SDSU.

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 04:17 PM

As a Delaware fan, Im glad you’re not coming to Newark because you’re much more dangerous than Sacred Heart but I think you’re underestimating Delaware just a little bit

Remember the Southland is virtually an unknown outside of the Southland
you might just go down there and beat Sam Houston State if you’re not careful

Have you watched Delaware or Sam Houston play this year?

JSUSoutherner
April 18th, 2021, 04:29 PM
Boohoo.

Sacred Heart got Delaware and they'd skulldrag Monmouth just as capably as Sammy State.

Daytripper
April 18th, 2021, 05:03 PM

Be happy you are in the playoffs...especially in this condensed playoff year. Win, and you prove everybody wrong...lose badly and you look like a fool for making this argument. And I agree with a previous poster that you might be underestimating Delaware. I think they are legit and should have gotten the seed over JMU. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Huntsville on Saturday. I have been following Monmouth for my poll votes. I expect a close, well fought, game.

MUHAWKS
April 18th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Nobody focused on the overall point of my post and that is fine- the point is- it is 100% clear that Sam Houston is "above" Delaware- not by me, but by the committee. I just found it odd that sacred heart, a team who split with Duquesne and beat Merrimack and CW Post and is unranked compared to Monmouth who blew out all teams they played including the # 7 team in nation and is ranked in top 15, got what is on paper the "easier" game and has a trip that allows ANY fan that wants to go, to attend. How can anyone disagree with that? I am excited for the playoffs and cannot wait to see what we do against a top team- I think what we have will surprise some folks and if the spot is not too big for our true freshman QB I really think we can win.

To answer the other things- I did not know the NCAA pays travel expenses, so my bad there- that is very cool. Also I have not watched Delaware or Sam Houston this year play a full game- I just watched highlights and word of mouth. I have no clue how good either team is - I am def not under estimating Delaware I am just stating my opinion on the style of the two teams and the seedings. I view Delaware as a team that can and will play closer games. I am not angry or anything this was just an observation on sacred heart getting a better draw. I am also pissed bc I cannot go to texas but could have driven to Delaware.

In terms of who we are this year- We are balanced, experienced and deep. we have a veteran O line and a very good RB and wr corp. Our QB is a true freshman however but has looked good. Our defense is vastly improved from 2019 and we have athletes all over the field. This will be a real test to see where we are at bc I surmise most people expect this to be more like the JMU game or N Iowa game. I do not think so.

JSUSoutherner
April 18th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Nobody focused on the overall point of my post and that is fine- the point is- it is 100% clear that Sam Houston is "above" Delaware- not by me, but by the committee. I just found it odd that sacred heart, a team who split with Duquesne and beat Merrimack and CW Post and is unranked compared to Monmouth who blew out all teams they played including the # 7 team in nation and is ranked in top 15, got what is on paper the "easier" game and has a trip that allows ANY fan that wants to go, to attend. How can anyone disagree with that? I am excited for the playoffs and cannot wait to see what we do against a top team- I think what we have will surprise some folks and if the spot is not too big for our true freshman QB I really think we can win.

To answer the other things- I did not know the NCAA pays travel expenses, so my bad there- that is very cool. Also I have not watched Delaware or Sam Houston this year play a full game- I just watched highlights and word of mouth. I have no clue how good either team is - I am def not under estimating Delaware I am just stating my opinion on the style of the two teams and the seedings. I view Delaware as a team that can and will play closer games. I am not angry or anything this was just an observation on sacred heart getting a better draw. I am also pissed bc I cannot go to texas but could have driven to Delaware.

In terms of who we are this year- We are balanced, experienced and deep. we have a veteran O line and a very good RB and wr corp. Our QB is a true freshman however but has looked good. Our defense is vastly improved from 2019 and we have athletes all over the field. This will be a real test to see where we are at bc I surmise most people expect this to be more like the JMU game or N Iowa game. I do not think so.

You realize that the first round is regional right? Outside of the seeds they don't weight jack s**t.

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 05:48 PM
I hope the Hawks beat Sammy. Good luck. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 05:52 PM
You realize that the first round is regional right? Outside of the seeds they don't weight jack s**t.

It is mostly, but it was obvious the committee didn’t want 2 of the 3 East teams to play each other. Hence they sent HC to Brookings & Monmouth to Sammy. How they decided on Sacred Heart to stay East of the 3 is the question to ponder. xpeacex

Preferred Walk-On
April 18th, 2021, 05:55 PM
...I surmise most people expect this to be more like the JMU game or N Iowa game. I do not think so.

I hope you are right.

...compared to Monmouth who blew out all teams they played including the # 7 team in nation and is ranked in top 15, (Sacred Heart) got what is on paper the "easier" game...

I think there are a lot of fans of a number of teams that are feeling that way right now (unfair matchups based on perceived rankings; i.e., see top vs. bottom of bracket). No disrespect, but Monmouth needs to pull a "Kennesaw" and navigate through the playoffs a bit further than the 1st/2nd round (and try not to exit with a thud). To do that will mean beating SHSU, then EWU/NDSU, then possibly JMU. If that (or at least some of that) happens, further respect will definitely have been earned. It is clear that the committee did not take into account overall rankings for placement and matchups; however, they really never have, so... xdontknowx

Schism55
April 18th, 2021, 06:07 PM

FCS 1st round scores:

Outscored 112-28

Quite obvious that the commitee viewed Sacred Heart, Monmouth, & Holy Cross the last of the 16 selected.

/thread

marenlee
April 18th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Monmouth played 3 games. Three games. Tres games.

SonuvaHenx2
April 18th, 2021, 06:19 PM
The teams who get the top 2 seeds each only played 3 games.
I'd bet that complete lack of games played was more than just considered, but flat-out the reason for being given the top seeds in round 1.

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 06:20 PM

FCS 1st round scores:

Outscored 112-28

Wasn’t Rodney Dangerfield from Bayonne, NJ

No Respect for Jersey

Bill
April 18th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Wasn’t Rodney Dangerfield from Bayonne, NJ

No Respect for Jersey
While I agree that Jersey gets no respect, Rodney was from NY....

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2021, 07:36 PM
No respect for Monmouth? What does it say about Holy Cross (and by extension, the Patriot League)?

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 07:47 PM
No respect for Monmouth? What does it say about Holy Cross (and by extension, the Patriot League)?

It says have fun in Brookings....have a beer at Cubby’s & get home safe. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 07:57 PM
While I agree that Jersey gets no respect, Rodney was from NY....

right, he just used Bayonne NJ when he needed a laugh

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 08:09 PM
right, he just used Bayonne NJ when he needed a laugh

Ed McMahon actually lived in Bayonne for a few years of his childhood & let’s not forget the inspiration for the Rocky movies: Chuck Wepner aka “The Bayonne Bleeder”. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 08:13 PM
Ed McMahon actually lived in Bayonne for a few years of his childhood & let’s not forget the inspiration for the Rocky movies: Chuck Wepner aka “The Bayonne Bleeder”. xpeacex

didn’t know that GT

The Bayonne bleeder is quite the moniker. I’m going to have to look this up

Gangtackle11
April 18th, 2021, 08:14 PM
As a Delaware fan, Im glad you’re not coming to Newark because you’re much more dangerous than Sacred Heart but I think you’re underestimating Delaware just a little bit

Remember the Southland is virtually an unknown outside of the Southland
you might just go down there and beat Sam Houston State if you’re not careful

Have you watched Delaware or Sam Houston play this year?

TBH carrib with the exception of JMU most years the rest of the CAA & the SLC are probably on equal footing at top. Maybe the CAA is stronger top to bottom. Probably can be debated, but I witnessed 1st hand in 2019 in some place called Hammond, LA. that their top teams are every bit the equal of our top teams. Hurts me to write that, but I call them as I see them. xpeacex

KPSUL
April 18th, 2021, 08:32 PM
TBH carrib with the exception of JMU most years the rest of the CAA & the SLC are probably on equal footing at top. Maybe the CAA is stronger top to bottom. Probably can be debated, but I witnessed 1st hand in 2019 in some place called Hammond, LA. that their top teams are every bit the equal of our top teams. Hurts me to write that, but I call them as I see them. xpeacex

I disagree, I'm pretty sure that the CAA has a clear advantage in head to head playoff meetings.

BNATION
April 18th, 2021, 08:38 PM
I disagree, I'm pretty sure that the CAA has a clear advantage in head to head playoff meetings.
SHSU hasn’t lost to a CAA team in the playoffs in over a decade.... Hoping for a good game in Huntsvegas. Prediction
SH 47
MON 13

Chalupa Batman
April 18th, 2021, 09:04 PM
SHSU hasn’t lost to a CAA team in the playoffs in over a decade.... Hoping for a good game in Huntsvegas. Prediction
SH 47
MON 1365-7 didn't happen?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 09:20 PM

I've watched a lot of Southland games this year, the Skill players actually have skill... a lot of skill, I think the Southland fans know I'm actually one of the biggest fans outside the Southland fan supporters... Your game last year down in Hammond was very entertaining to say the least

I've had Sam Houston ranked number 1 in the poll since week 1
enjoyed watching Ball the IW QB
Like watching Nicholls State
and I've tuned in to every S Louisiana game, miss that crazy RB that bolted.....

but they just don't play any defense.....

Hammond? don't get me started on that place, never been but I have to get there someday.... distant family I've never had to pleasure to know

Monmouth moving to CAA ? This year they would be in the top tier meaning I think they are better than several CAA teams right now

BNATION
April 18th, 2021, 09:24 PM
65-7 didn't happen?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Your right 3-1, the loss to eventual champions JMU who beat just about everyone like that...

gokat89
April 18th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Monmouth disrespected? Are you kidding?xlolx

DFW HOYA
April 18th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Can we retitle it as "Still no respect for football in the Northeast?"

HensRock
April 18th, 2021, 10:33 PM
I think MUHAWKS has a point about the regionalization inconsistency. Of the 3 teams in question (Monmouth, Sacred Heart, and Holy Cross), Monmouth is by far the closest to Newark, DE.
I was kinda expecting to see a Hawks/Hens matchup myself.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Thank you HensRock! I knew my post would be taken the wrong way and it is partly my fault. I was solely upset about the Monmouth/Sacred heart issue- And even though it came off that way it was NOT to disrespect The Blue Hens. I just view Sam Houston as a VERY VERY good team (yes just based on scores, word of mouth and seeing some highlights of their skilled guys) and on paper probably better then Delaware- and the committee clearly agrees giving them the 2 seed. What is so hard to understand about MU fans being a little salty about an unranked 1 loss Sacred heart team taking a bus trip to UNSEEDED Delaware while # 12 ranked MU who has blown all 3 teams with a win against top 10 team, travels to Texas to play the #2 overall seed? Not sure how that comes across as anything but truth. I am over it. I have moved on to being excited to just play a top team and see where we stand. In reality I have only missed about 20% of games in last 20 years since I left the program myself and due to some personal issues this week I cannot fly to texas as opposed to having been easily able to drive to UDEL. Its all good! We are ready to wake some people up and show we belong. I think there is some hypocrisy here though as if someone put a gun to everyone's head and asked for the more possible upset, people would put MU over UDEL way before MU over Sammy. There is just no real argument to say MU did not get a raw deal with their 1st rd draw SOLELY based on tthe sacred Heart situation. But yes I am moving on and hopefully Sammy's offense is not as brutally good as it looks on tape and in the box scores.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 08:14 AM

well based on most other's logic here you guys have way less of an argument than MU etc.. 2019 (the year MU got rolled by JMU) we beat Holy cross 44-27 with HC last 2 scores coming in quasi garbage time. The game was never even close to in doubt and it was clear we were by far the better team. I want to see the PL be great. And I root for schools in The CAA when it is not against us, so no beef or hate here but I think all of this just comes down to bias based on past years which IMO is stupid, BUT it is the same for everyone and I guess each tweener team needs their marquee win to prove it. In the case of Monmouth it has not happened in the playoffs yet. And although I respect Kennesaw and what they have done, I consider them a novelty b/c of their offense. Without a dominating defense, Kennesaw becomes easily beatable and teams just have a very hard time defending that triple option, hence their success. But if a team Like Monmouth the past 2 years with a balanced and potent offense can get ahead on them , you see what happens. My point with this is the FCS world basically discounts MU 2 blowout wins over Kennesaw b/c of that, even though they have had success against top teams. It almost makes me think Kennesaw may have to consider changing their offense- It is a great and smart way to start a new program but after a bit you need to be able to pass the football down the field.

So Holy Cross and the PL has an even more uphill battle than Monmouth does- but we both get chances to change that Saturday- and I am not sure about HC but the MU community fully expects to win this game. We are not going in there thinking we do not belong. The JMU game was close for almost the entire first half but you could see JMU was a couple levels above us and frankly it was mostly based on both lines. We could not get off the field due to their O line man handling our d line and hence us getting no rush and they would just go on long drives getting gaps of yardage. Kind of makes your offense need to be perfect. I am not saying we have 100% solved that but our O and D lines are vastly improved, seem bigger, more athletic and less able to get handled so I think we will now compete a bit. The reason I wanted to play Delaware is bc they seem more conservative and balanced shich plays t us as oposed to Sammy which seems ( I could be wrong) to chuck the ball all over field, spread it out etc etc. Not saying we cannot handle that but just IMO a tougher style to play against on the road.. we will see..

BigBlueMU
April 19th, 2021, 08:34 AM
While the Sacred Heart to Delaware thing still blows my mind, I fully expected Monmouth to get a tough draw in the playoffs. As I mentioned before, MU still needs that big, signature win in order to get some real respect outside of the Big South (and Northeast). The blowout win against KSU was not a signature win. I watched that game start to finish and KSU had no business being a top 25 team this year. Hell, even GWU gave MU a better fight in the first half than KSU did. I still think MU is a legit 13-10 ranked team and will give Sammy some problems. This will not be another JMU or UNI blowout.

katss07
April 19th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Yeah I'd want to avoid us too. It's my understanding that MU leans heavily into their run game with Juwon Ferri. That doesn't bode well against our defense. Sam is ranked 1st in the FCS in rush yards allowed, giving up only 58 yards a game, even having faced All Conference RBs like Julien Gums and Kevin Brown as well has FBS transfers like Ellison. The Kats are also 1st in the nation with 10 tfl per game. Plus they're 1st in sacks, 2nd in fumbles recovered and 7th in scoring defense amongst teams that have played 5 games.

Monmouth's defense better be ready and come to play. That's how they keep this game close. Because I don't see them scoring too much. If they can slow down Ezzard, Crest, Adeyi and Harvin, then this could be a game. Otherwise, it's going to look like MU doesn't belong.

I was also a bit surprised we drew the Hawks. Monmouth won a playoff game last year and has clearly been good this year. I would've thought they'd send the better team to face Delaware and give us a Sacred Heart. But if anything, Sam is happy about this matchup. If we're going to reach expectations, we have to beat a team like Monmouth.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 08:50 AM
While the Sacred Heart to Delaware thing still blows my mind, I fully expected Monmouth to get a tough draw in the playoffs. As I mentioned before, MU still needs that big, signature win in order to get some real respect outside of the Big South (and Northeast). The blowout win against KSU was not a signature win. I watched that game start to finish and KSU had no business being a top 25 team this year. Hell, even GWU gave MU a better fight in the first half than KSU did. I still think MU is a legit 13-10 ranked team and will give Sammy some problems. This will not be another JMU or UNI blowout.

I hope Hotty Hoo is reading because he ain’t posting a thing

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 09:24 AM

yeah hate to say it bc it makes MU look less good but Kennesaw was NOT GOOD. I mean they are capable but honestly our offense could have scored 60 against them. Add to that, when they need to pass they cannot even run a play- Their QB was running for his life on EVERY PLAY which is understandable when your O line run blocks 97% of the time and u are playing an athletic deep D line like we have. I will say it again- KSU has survived thus far on the fact that 99% of FCS team never see the triple option nd when your defense is frustrated, tired and on the filed for 5-7 minute drives, your offense cannot stumble too much- In both of the last 2 games as soon as we got up 2 scores on KSU, the rest of the game was like playing a BAD team- and I am not saying it to talk sh8t but it is what I saw. If you are a good team or better, get up 2 scores on KSU and its game over. Conversely, they get up on you and its tough sledding b/c its hard to get off the field and then it puts a lot of pressure on your offense. I think they will start to move away from the triple option soon .

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 09:24 AM
NGL I figured as soon as we pulled a seed out of our ass that we'd get Monmouth. I was kind of disappointed when we pulled Davidson because I really wanted to dumptruck the team that beat KSU.

SHSU90
April 19th, 2021, 09:28 AM
Yes head shaker on sending MU to Texas

aceinthehole
April 19th, 2021, 09:56 AM

FCS 1st round scores:

Outscored 112-28

Exactly! Enough with this Monmouth nonsense. Nothing MU has done warrants national recognition.

MU fans should pipe down and look at Sacred Heart and wonder why they aren't getting enough respect just because they "upset" Duquesne in limited NEC action this year.

SHU in the FCS Playoffs:
2013 - Fordham 37, Sacred Heart 27
2014 - Fordham 44, Sacred Heart 22

And let's not forget the Pioneers are are 1-0 all-time vs. the Blue Hens and beat a ranked UD team in Newark.

Oct. 4, 2014 - SHU 10, #24 Delaware 7

And Sacred Heart has one of the top RBs in the nation ...

Chestnut needed only four games to do what most running backs fall short of during a full season. The junior running back, who burst onto the scene as the 2018 NEC Offensive Rookie of the Year, has established himself as an All-American caliber ball carrier. During the abbreviated spring season schedule, the Maryland product paced the NEC in rushing yards (717), all-purpose yards (888), and scoring (68 points). Entering the last week of the FCS regular season schedule, Chestnut is one yard off the national rushing leader despite having played five fewer games than the first-place occupant. His 11 total touchdowns are third most in the FCS, but he is the lone player to have scored double-digit TDs having played fewer than eight games. This spring season performance follows a 2019 FCS regular season that ended with Chestnut rushing for the second-most yards (1,495) nationally.

Chestnut adds another dimension to his arsenal by showing an ability to effectively catch the ball out of the backfield. He logged two receptions in each of the Pioneers’ four games, totaling 171 receiving yards and three touchdown catches. The powerful runner gained more than 200 yards from scrimmage during each of his first three spring outings. Chestnut, who averaged 7.71 yards per carry this spring, set the NEC single-game rushing season high by piling up 203 yards and four scores on 24 carries in a win over LIU.

MUHAWKS
April 19th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Exactly! Enough with this Monmouth nonsense. Nothing MU has done warrants national recognition.

MU fans should pipe down and look at Sacred Heart and wonder why they aren't getting enough respect just because they "upset" Duquesne in limited NEC action this year.

SHU in the FCS Playoffs:
2013 - Fordham 37, Sacred Heart 27
2014 - Fordham 44, Sacred Heart 22

And let's not forget the Pioneers are are 1-0 all-time vs. the Blue Hens and beat a ranked UD team in Newark.

Oct. 4, 2014 - SHU 10, #24 Delaware 7

And Sacred Heart has one of the top RBs in the nation ...

wow bringing up stuff from 7-8 years ago!! That is rich.. proves my point how dumb this all is and It is ok..no bad blood against the NEC I def root for them too and I understand Sacred heart has some talent, but you gusy will all see Saturday.. We may not win but we are not a glorified patriot league average team.. Even though I started the thread, makes nonse to keep talking about it-- Anyone with a brain understands that based on actual facts and performace Mu should have gone to Delaware but its done and we look forward to shocking everyone and we will. I like Delaware as a prgram and always like the NEC so no skin in game there I think it will be competitive.

Daytripper
April 19th, 2021, 03:47 PM
wow bringing up stuff from 7-8 years ago!! That is rich.. proves my point how dumb this all is and It is ok..no bad blood against the NEC I def root for them too and I understand Sacred heart has some talent, but you gusy will all see Saturday.. We may not win but we are not a glorified patriot league average team.. Even though I started the thread, makes nonse to keep talking about it-- Anyone with a brain understands that based on actual facts and performace Mu should have gone to Delaware but its done and we look forward to shocking everyone and we will. I like Delaware as a prgram and always like the NEC so no skin in game there I think it will be competitive.

It's a tradition here, proudly carried on by JSUSoutherner.

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 03:52 PM
It's a tradition here, proudly carried on by JSUSoutherner.

I'm just here so I don't get fined.

Chalupa Batman
April 19th, 2021, 05:52 PM

By the time he comes back he’ll have to do a password recovery to login.

WestCoastAggie
April 19th, 2021, 06:26 PM
I'm just here so I don't get fined.

Gotta stay about dat action, boss!

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 06:31 PM
By the time he comes back he’ll have to do a password recovery to login.

Let me guess. He disappeared after the Monmouth loss?

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 06:37 PM

No, the Barbiesaw loss

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 06:41 PM
No, the Barbiesaw loss

Stop.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Stop.

You know ....Kenny and Barbie

JSUSoutherner
April 19th, 2021, 06:47 PM
You know ....Kenny and Barbie
Yeah. I know.

And what's even more disappointing is you didn't respond to my post with "Hammer Time".

You missed your chance, chief.

Chalupa Batman
April 19th, 2021, 07:08 PM

I don’t even know if the first quarter was finished yet.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Yeah. I know.

And what's even more disappointing is you didn't respond to my post with "Hammer Time".

You missed your chance, chief.

or Funky Cold Medina

I heard ole Hootie Hoo was up a tree

M I S S I N G

KPSUL
April 21st, 2021, 09:04 PM
Your right 3-1, the loss to eventual champions JMU who beat just about everyone like that...

Where'd you come up with 3-1 as SHSU's playoff record vs CAA over the last decade? Sammie has only played two playoff games vs the CAA in 2010-19: the 65-7 blow out vs JMU, and a 34 - 31 win vs Villanova in 2014 - a game Sam only won because Payton Award QB John Robertson was injured and Villanova was forced to play a Freshman QB who had never started a game.

The rest of the teams in the Southland went 1-3 vs the CAA during the past 10 years. UNH beat SELU and Central Arkansas, Nova beat SFA and lost to SELU. That's CAA 4 wins, the SL 2. So, I stick to my statement that I believe the CAA has a clear advantage.

Finally, while the 2016 JMU Dukes were an outstanding team, they didn't "beat just about everyone like that". JMU beat SHSU by 58, UNH by 33 (3 pts in the regular season), NDSU by 10, and YSU by 14 in Frisco.

katss07
April 21st, 2021, 09:58 PM
Where'd you come up with 3-1 as SHSU's playoff record vs CAA over the last decade? Sammie has only played two playoff games vs the CAA in 2010-19: the 65-7 blow out vs JMU, and a 34 - 31 win vs Villanova in 2014 - a game Sam only won because Payton Award QB John Robertson was injured and Villanova was forced to play a Freshman QB who had never started a game.

The rest of the teams in the Southland went 1-3 vs the CAA during the past 10 years. UNH beat SELU and Central Arkansas, Nova beat SFA and lost to SELU. That's CAA 4 wins, the SL 2. So, I stick to my statement that I believe the CAA has a clear advantage.

Finally, while the 2016 JMU Dukes were an outstanding team, they didn't "beat just about everyone like that". JMU beat SHSU by 58, UNH by 33 (3 pts in the regular season), NDSU by 10, and YSU by 14 in Frisco.
Might've made a mistake and added an extra game counting the Stony Brook playoff win in 2011, who Sam beat on their way to Frisco although SB wouldn't become a CAA member until that summer.

"Sam only won because Robertson was out"

Nah Sam was just the better team. And Villanova's kicking was more of an issue than their QB play.

gokat89
April 22nd, 2021, 07:41 AM

Well you want to use that logic then JMU only won because SHSU starting QB Jeremiah Briscoe was out with an arm injury .

KPSUL
April 22nd, 2021, 09:02 AM
Well you want to use that logic then JMU only won because SHSU starting QB Jeremiah Briscoe was out with an arm injury .

I'm getting the impression that they must not teach critical thinking at SHSU. Losing 34-31 with your Payton award winning QB on the sidelines? Yeah definitely, that would be the proximate cause of the loss. Losing 65-7? You weren't going to win that game no matter how many Jeremiah Briscoes you had available.

katss07
April 22nd, 2021, 09:18 AM
It's just stupid to say they ONLY won the game because a player was hurt.

KPSUL
April 22nd, 2021, 09:51 AM
Might've made a mistake and added an extra game counting the Stony Brook playoff win in 2011, who Sam beat on their way to Frisco although SB wouldn't become a CAA member until that summer.

"Sam only won because Robertson was out"

Nah Sam was just the better team. And Villanova's kicking was more of an issue than their QB play.

Yeah, you need to put that playoff win in the Big South column - Stony Brook (and Albany - from NEC) didn't join the CAA until 2013. 2011 & 2012 were transitional years in the CAA. Old Dominion U made a two year touch and go landing in the CAA before going to FBS, Georgia State a one year stop in 2012 only. ODU was a strong team with Taylor Heiniecke at QB. Georgia State was the worst team in the conference.

Your right, Villanova's placekicking game was abysmal in 2014. They lost a game @ Syracuse by missing two chip shot field goals; one during regulation and another in OT. Also, I recall that Villanova's Freshman QB play surprisingly well - but he was no John Robertson. Robertson had games where he was both the leading passer and rusher. In my humble opinion had he played, Villanova would have likely won and wouldn't had needed a late field goal to do it.

Other than placekicking, that was a very good Villanova team. It was a very good win for SHSU - one of many over the last decade. Sam is either #2 or #3 in FCS since 2011. I'd argue #2 since JMU didn't start their run until 2016. I have no doubt that SMSU could have been a top team in the CAA many of those years - however, no other SL team would have been - not even close. Which has been the point of my posts here. While SHSU could have been a very competitive team playing in the CAA, there has not been overall parity between the CAA and SLC over the past 10 years.

KPSUL
April 22nd, 2021, 09:54 AM

It is truly stupid to think only = proximate.

Katfan
April 22nd, 2021, 12:45 PM
Yeah, you need to put that playoff win in the Big South column - Stony Brook (and Albany - from NEC) didn't join the CAA until 2013. 2011 & 2012 were transitional years in the CAA. Old Dominion U made a two year touch and go landing in the CAA before going to FBS, Georgia State a one year stop in 2012 only. ODU was a strong team with Taylor Heiniecke at QB. Georgia State was the worst team in the conference.

Your right, Villanova's placekicking game was abysmal in 2014. They lost a game @ Syracuse by missing two chip shot field goals; one during regulation and another in OT. Also, I recall that Villanova's Freshman QB play surprisingly well - but he was no John Robertson. Robertson had games where he was both the leading passer and rusher. In my humble opinion had he played, Villanova would have likely won and wouldn't had needed a late field goal to do it.

Other than placekicking, that was a very good Villanova team. It was a very good win for SHSU - one of many over the last decade. Sam is either #2 or #3 in FCS since 2011. I'd argue #2 since JMU didn't start their run until 2016. I have no doubt that SMSU could have been a top team in the CAA many of those years - however, no other SL team would have been - not even close. Which has been the point of my posts here. While SHSU could have been a very competitive team playing in the CAA, there has not been overall parity between the CAA and SLC over the past 10 years.
EWU would be in that discussion! I was at the game it was a great game and the backup qb played a great game but agree he wasn’t Robertson.

JSUSoutherner
April 22nd, 2021, 01:41 PM
You know, I didn't respect Monmouth before this thread.

But I've read through this thread again and I've realized I still have no respect for them.

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2021, 02:19 PM

But I've read through this thread again and I've realized I still have no respect for them.

Nice stadium...

https://monmouthhawks.com/images/2017/12/4/Kessler_Stadium_0029.jpg?width=500&height=363&mode=crop

JSUSoutherner
April 22nd, 2021, 06:53 PM
Nice stadium...

https://monmouthhawks.com/images/2017/12/4/Kessler_Stadium_0029.jpg?width=500&height=363&mode=crop

Has a track. Definitely no respect for that.

Reign of Terrier
April 22nd, 2021, 07:01 PM
I think it is both the case that Monmouth is a better football program than when they got routed by UNI a couple years ago and they are right where they need to be right now.

gokat89
April 22nd, 2021, 09:32 PM

xlolx

gokat89
April 22nd, 2021, 09:34 PM

This ......

- - - Updated - - -

I'm getting the impression that they must not teach critical thinking at SHSU. Losing 34-31 with your Payton award winning QB on the sidelines? Yeah definitely, that would be the proximate cause of the loss. Losing 65-7? You weren't going to win that game no matter how many Jeremiah Briscoes you had available.

Clearly I was being sarcastic..... xlolx

KPSUL
April 22nd, 2021, 09:52 PM
EWU would be in that discussion! I was at the game it was a great game and the backup qb played a great game but agree he wasn’t Robertson.

I watched that one on TV. Actually I've seen most of the best teams of the 2010s play in person, NDSU, SDSU, ISU red, EWU, Weber St., JMU, JSU and several others including Wofford, Villanova, and UNH. But I haven't caught a Sam Houston State game yet.

gokat89
April 22nd, 2021, 10:15 PM
I watched that one on TV. Actually I've seen most of the best teams of the 2010s play in person, NDSU, SDSU, ISU red, EWU, Weber St., JMU, JSU and several others including Wofford, Villanova, and UNH. But I haven't caught a Sam Houston State game yet.

Need to make it down South. The Battle of the Piney Woods , Sam Houston v Stephen F Austin, is a good one to try and catch. It is played at NRG Stadium in Houston. This one of the oldest college football rivalries in Texas. I think the 2021 version will be a damn good football game. Normally played in October. You should look it up, unless you are only wanting to see playoff games. If Kats win this weekend, next weekend will be a doozy in Hunstville no matter who they play.

kdinva
April 23rd, 2021, 08:58 AM
Nice stadium...

still has, for now, more seats than G-town, better parking I bet..

TheRevSFA
April 23rd, 2021, 09:20 AM
Are you done whining yet? Beat Sam and show everyone up.

ST_Lawson
April 23rd, 2021, 01:21 PM
Nice stadium...

I'd love a home/pressbox side like that. Beats the heck out of our 70-year-old crumbling concrete and pressboard pressbox.

ysubigred
April 24th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Any local TV coverage of this game in NJ?

THANKS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
April 24th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Monmouth came to play
down 7-0 But looks like they’re going to be around in this game

gokat89
April 24th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Monmouth came to play
down 7-0 But looks like they’re going to be around in this game

Its the playoffs. I didnt expect anything less.

JSUSoutherner
April 24th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Should have pulled the upset. You guys disappointed me.

And for that reason, I'm out.