PDA

View Full Version : Rundown of the FCS Playoff Picture

MVFCBeat
April 18th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Hey All,

My rundown of the FCS playoff picture and picks can be found below.

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/fcs-playoff-picture-on-selection-show-eve

TL;DR

Big Sky (2): Weber State, Eastern Washington (Also Considered: UC Davis)
Big South (1): Monmouth (Also Considered: Kennesaw State)
CAA (2): James Madison, Delaware, (Also Considered: Richmond)
MEAC (0): (Considered: South Carolina State)
MVFC (4): NDSU, SDSU, North Dakota, Missouri State (Also Considered: SIU)
Northeast (1): Sacred Heart
Ohio Valley (1): Jacksonville State (Also Considered: Murray State)
Patriot League (1): Holy Cross
Pioneer League (1): Davidson
Southern (2): VMI, ETSU
Southland (1): Sam Houston State

OhioHen
April 18th, 2021, 06:55 AM
Let's assume the NCAA tries to minimize flights without having in conference first round games.
Using this list of teams and minimizing number of teams that have to get on planes (not trying to bracket going forward).

Holy Cross vs Monmouth @Villanova
Sacred Heart @ Delaware
VMI @ JMU
Davidson @ Jacksonville State
ETSU vs Missouri State @Murray State
EWU @ SDSU
NDSU @ Weber State
North Dakota @ SHSU

NY Crusader 2010
April 18th, 2021, 07:40 AM
Any reason the MEAC and SWAC didn't join the party this year given there's no Celebration Bowl and no Thanksgiving Day Bayou Classic?

Mocs123
April 18th, 2021, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure on the SWAC, but I think the MEAC didn't have enough teams playing this spring to get an AQ.

katss07
April 18th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Solid write up, although I don't think there was any need to consider South Carolina State in bubble conversations.

I think MO State is all but a lock after what happened yesterday. Mercer, SELA and UIW losing makes me comfortable saying they're one of the final at large bids. That leaves one spot for the likes of Richmond, ETSU, SIU, Kennesaw State and maybe a Murray State or APSU. Will be interesting to see who the committee picks. Will they put in SIU and give the MVFC a fifth bid? Will they give Richmond the benefit of the doubt? Do they still love KSU for some reason?

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Are JMU fans looking forward to seeing the potential second round matchup against Delaware?

OhioHen
April 18th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Any reason the MEAC and SWAC didn't join the party this year given there's no Celebration Bowl and no Thanksgiving Day Bayou Classic?

There are three SWAC games scheduled the weekend of the first round plus a SWAC championship game to follow. Looking like the a compelling Alabama A&M vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff matchup.

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Hey All,

My rundown of the FCS playoff picture and picks can be found below.

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/fcs-playoff-picture-on-selection-show-eve

TL;DR

Big Sky (2): Weber State, Eastern Washington (Also Considered: UC Davis)
Big South (1): Monmouth (Also Considered: Kennesaw State)
CAA (2): James Madison, Delaware, (Also Considered: Richmond)
MEAC (0): (Considered: South Carolina State)
MVFC (4): NDSU, SDSU, North Dakota, Missouri State (Also Considered: SIU)
Northeast (1): Sacred Heart
Ohio Valley (1): Jacksonville State (Also Considered: Murray State)
Patriot League (1): Holy Cross
Pioneer League (1): Davidson
Southern (2): VMI, ETSU
Southland (1): Sam Houston State

That was a very good and extensive write up!

You might’ve just nailed down all the picks

Libertine
April 18th, 2021, 08:26 AM

The SWAC does their own thing as they always have and the MEAC couldn't fulfill the requirements of the autobid.

https://meacsports.com/news/2021/4/7/football-meac-ncaa-fcs-playoffs-update.aspx

KPSUL
April 18th, 2021, 08:32 AM
A couple comments on previous posts:

Do I think 4 MVFC teams are clearly among the top 16? Yes, in fact I'd include SIU as well. However, I think the committee will be reluctant to put 4-5 teams from the same conference in a 16 team field.

I'm also thinking that they will be reluctant to send two playoff teams to play at a location initially approve as a playoff venue when that team is not in the playoff field. It could have some effect on a team or two being a surprise playoff selection. But if not, I think we'll see a Sacred Heart, Holy Cross or Monmouth being sent to ND for a good old Fargo Dome early round butt kicking.

KPSUL
April 18th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Are JMU fans looking forward to seeing the potential second round matchup against Delaware?

I don't know, but this non-JMU fan who has been to many JMU games would like to see it - although I'd prefer it as a Semi-final or Championship game.
I went to the DE @ JMU games 2014 & 2016 as well as the Playoff game in 2018 @JMU. I believe Delaware won in OT in 2014, all I remember from 2016 is that both teams clanged field goal attempts off the up-rights on the first drive and that JMU won. 2018 was JMU's worst team in this half of the decade but they managed to squeak out a win in that 1st round game vs the Hens.

caribbeanhen
April 18th, 2021, 09:14 AM
I don't know, but this non-JMU fan who has been to many JMU games would like to see it - although I'd prefer it as a Semi-final or Championship game.
I went to the DE @ JMU games 2014 & 2016 as well as the Playoff game in 2018 @JMU. I believe Delaware won in OT in 2014, all I remember from 2016 is that both teams clanged field goal attempts off the up-rights on the first drive and that JMU won. 2018 was JMU's worst team in this half of the decade but they managed to squeak out a win in that 1st round game vs the Hens.

I think Delaware is a lot better than they were in 2018 and if we have to play JMU, I like you would prefer it to be played in the semi finals. As a fan I would like to see a different team that we’ve never played before

JMU fans never worried for a second about Delaware in 2018, But if that game were to happen in two weeks I bet you they be some apprehensive about it. JMU has played nobody this spring

MVFCBeat
April 18th, 2021, 01:00 PM
I was close! My gut was actually telling me SIU deserved it, but I didn't want to be a homer and go with 5 MVFC teams. I just didn't think they'd put five from the same league in.

Thanks everyone for reading!

skinny_uncle
April 18th, 2021, 02:30 PM
A couple comments on previous posts:

Do I think 4 MVFC teams are clearly among the top 16? Yes, in fact I'd include SIU as well. However, I think the committee will be reluctant to put 4-5 teams from the same conference in a 16 team field.

I'm also thinking that they will be reluctant to send two playoff teams to play at a location initially approve as a playoff venue when that team is not in the playoff field. It could have some effect on a team or two being a surprise playoff selection. But if not, I think we'll see a Sacred Heart, Holy Cross or Monmouth being sent to ND for a good old Fargo Dome early round butt kicking.