PDA

View Full Version : SLC - So Long Coaches

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Why is it that SLC coaches do not last long? Coaches not able to meet expectations in what is a tough league week-in and week-out? Promotions elsewhere, possibly to FBS coordinator or head coaching jobs?

SFA lost their HC to an FBS coordinator position, TXST lost theirs to the HC job at Rice. That was last year. Throw in McN firing theirs halfway through the season and SELA's coach having a health ailment that pretty much showed him the door.

SLC - So Long Coaches, nice ring to it...but I don't think this is meant as a knock at the SLC...
--------------------
SLC stands for so long coaches
By Jeff Matthews
[email protected]
(318) 487-6353

Scott Stoker doesn't feel like the dean of anything.

But at 39 years old and entering his sixth year on the job at Northwestern State, Stoker has the longest tenure in the Southland Conference of any coach in the league.

"I never really thought about it," Stoker said. "Time goes by fast. I may be the dean, but I think I'm the youngest."

He is, in fact, by three years over Sam Houston's Todd Whitten -- another interesting twist in a conference coaching landscape that has been turned upside down in recent seasons.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/SPORTS/70729017/1006/SPORTS

katstrapper
July 29th, 2007, 08:18 AM
It is just a cycle. The SLC went a long time with same coaches in the league and now the new era is settling in. TT, you should know like anyone, it happens all over the country.

It is the same as any job, you either find a better paying job or you lose your job for lack of performance. Coaching in no different.xcoffeex