PDA

View Full Version : Question for "PLr's"?

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM
As I recall going through the admission process for Lafayette...I seem to remeber an agreement was in place with PL schools basically stating if a student athlete was granted admission to one PL school, he was granted admission to all of them. That is not to say that guaranteed any interest and or offers from a particular school. Simply put if your grades were good enough for Lafayette they were good enough for Lehigh or Colgate, etc. Did I imagine that? If so, do they still abide by that?

Colgate 13 you are a PL geek (and I mean that in a good way). Surely you know the answer.

colgate13
August 24th, 2005, 10:28 AM
You most certainly imagined that. Not only do PL schools have different admission requirements, athletic conference association only goes so far...

The way the PL is set up is that each school has limits of who can get in based on their student body. No collective agreements are or were in place.

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM
You most certainly imagined that. Not only do PL schools have different admission requirements, athletic conference association only goes so far...

The way the PL is set up is that each school has limits of who can get in based on their student body. No collective agreements are or were in place.

Man, I could have sworn that I was told by the head coach at Fordham at the time that such an agreement was in place. It does seem fishy though.

LBPop
August 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM
A couple of years ago when I was on the recruiting trail with my son he was being recruited primarily by non-scholarship schools...PL and Ivy. It was recent enough that I can still remember when I had a savings account. :(

While visiting Columbia they made a big point (defensively, I might add) of saying that all the Ivy League schools used the same formula to determine financial need. His statement was, "We can give you the same money that any other Ivy League school can." Yes, I know I'm mixing leagues here, but the PL does essentially the same thing (there are a few differences when it comes to buying out loans). Maybe what you are remembering is a statement about financial aid where all PL schools must follow the same guidelines.

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
A couple of years ago when I was on the recruiting trail with my son he was being recruited primarily by non-scholarship schools...PL and Ivy. It was recent enough that I can still remember when I had a savings account. :(

While visiting Columbia they made a big point (defensively, I might add) of saying that all the Ivy League schools used the same formula to determine financial need. His statement was, "We can give you the same money that any other Ivy League school can." Yes, I know I'm mixing leagues here, but the PL does essentially the same thing (there are a few differences when it comes to buying out loans). Maybe what you are remembering is a statement about financial aid where all PL schools must follow the same guidelines.

Now that you mention it Pop, you may be right about that. Thanks for helping me out!

ngineer
August 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
See my new thread with the recently released SAT ranges for each PL. THe premise is not accurate. As reflected, and as I noted some time ago on a different thread, Fordham has been able to recruit a number of excellent athletes (and not to say good students) that Lehigh and Colgate could not pursue because of the formula the League follows.
The financial aid formulas may also be a different matter...

Just realized I posted the thread in the Lounge by mistake. Don't know how to move it over here, so there it is...IT deficient I am... :read:

colgate13
August 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The Ivy and PL are close when it comes to aid, but not exact. The Ivys DO follow a same approach to aid across the board. It's known as the "Consesus Approach". They will/should do all aid the same.

The Consesus Approach is used by a group of schools that call themselves the 568 group (http://568group.org/). It is a way for some of the richest and most selective schools to agree on how financial aid works without price fixing - which is what got them in trouble a while ago with the anti-trust folks. They're not fixing a price, but rather agreeing on a way of doing things. '568' has to do with the tax code.

The PL has no such deal in place because I don't believe any are members (http://568group.org/membership/members.html) of the 568 group. Wait, G'Town might be... upon checking, they are. So they are the only one in the PL evaluting aid in the same way the Ivys are. That said, evaluting aid and awarding aid can be two very different animals. Two Ivys can come up with the same contributoin, but Princeton doesn't give loans in an award and Cornell does, so the aid is different.

The PL schools all follow, with the exception of G'Town, the College Board profile and their own institutional priorities. The only deal the PL has in place, for football only, is that financial aid for athletes is determined the same as it is for regular students. What kind of aid they give to meet need can be different than regular students, so football players get all grant for the most part.

PL schools with more favorable aid policies in general get to have better aid packages than schools with less favorable ones. For the most part we're all pretty close, but once and a while a kid will appear that has a unique situation that is handled differently by different schools and could mean the difference in a lot of aid.