PDA

View Full Version : Delaware @ Villanova

Gangtackle11
April 12th, 2021, 06:45 AM
4-0 Delaware @ 2-1 Villanova

Battle of the Blue Trophy at stake.

Will Delaware end the longest win streak (8) in the game’s history or will Nova disappoint the Blue Hen faithful once again?

Anthony215
April 12th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Looks like this will be the game of the week and for CAA bragging rights and the winner can stamp their playoff berth. Nova has to win out to get a berth Delaware with 1 loss probably would still get an at large berth. I think Delaware has more chemistry and talent and wins in a close game. They didn't play their best against DSU last Saturday but some of that can be attributed to playing a spring night game as well as DSU is slightly improved from previous years.

caribbeanhen
April 12th, 2021, 07:17 AM
Looks like this will be the game of the week and for CAA bragging rights and the winner can stamp their playoff berth. Nova has to win out to get a berth Delaware with 1 loss probably would still get an at large berth. I think Delaware has more chemistry and talent and wins in a close game. They didn't play their best against DSU last Saturday but some of that can be attributed to playing a spring night game as well as DSU is slightly improved from previous years.

good post Anthony, Just by the Howard game, I thought Delaware State was a little improved as well. Delaware coming into the game after a 2 week layoff didn't help much either. Now Nova is coming into the Delaware game not having played last week.... I think that helps Delaware this year...… Oh, Colby Reeder is back and just might be the guy that can keep Dan Smith under some control and hopefully he will introduce himself to the talented Nova QB

POD Knows
April 12th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Delaware in a cake walk #BOOKIT

Gangtackle11
April 12th, 2021, 08:36 AM
I saw little from the Blue Hens vs. Delaware State that leans to a blow out win over a team that has owned them over pretty much any time frame you want to discuss.

Nova special teams blocked 5 punts in ‘19 to lead the CAA. Delaware State blocked 2 on this weekend. Hens better fix that & quickly.

Nova is at full strength offensively with Covington back at RB. He was leading the FCS in rushing before a ACL injury in Game 6 at W&M in ‘19. Had 4 TDs at Maine last game. Nova’s defense is ok. Nothing special. So I see a high scoring affair. It could be close unless turnovers or special team play skew the scoreboard.

I don’t see Delaware stopping Nova’s offense. The game will be in the 30s or 40s and IMHO favors the ‘Cats!!

The “Due Theory” will eventually happen. Playing in the spring because of a 100 year pandemic & a UD grad (although he has been quoted that he’s a Hornet) in the WH may be too much to overcome. xpeacex

PS: Glad #4 is back. Hope he has more than the 14 tackles his older brother had in his 3 blowout losses vs. Nova. Fortunely he’s done much better in the NFL. xpeacex

melloware13
April 12th, 2021, 11:24 AM
This is the game I've been worried about all year (granted all I've known is pain since starting at UD in 2009). Even the year the trophy came back to Newark the next day was a crash back to earth because "West Chester isn't as good as any FCS team" (or maybe the losses in that October to URI and UMass didn't help). Seen too many late game heroics to think it's safe until :00 in the 4th (2010 had some by both teams, being on the field for that OT hurt; 2013 and 2015 come to mind too). Just hope the Hens aren't reading the clippings about this years team and instead are focused on ending the streak.

HensRock
April 12th, 2021, 02:15 PM
We just need to make sure we don't have to punt! xlolx

ngineer
April 12th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Going with the Hens this year. While there is only a one game deviation, Villanova seems to have had more disruptions, which could impact their effectiveness/efficiency. In a COVID season, why not have an aberrant outcome?

caribbeanhen
April 13th, 2021, 02:58 PM
I’ve been impressed with the way the Blue Hens have come back and handled their schedule this year, They have been laser focused and you can see the chemistry

But not really impressed at all with the schedule itself

Maine and Stony Brook are just not good football teams right now

In fact, I would even walk the plank over the freezing waters surrounding Deception Island with killer whales doing the vertical hunt and proclaim that Delaware state would give Stony Brook a good game this year, maybe even upset....

Rhode Island is ok, And actually beat Villanova in Philadelphia

Delaware beat Rhode Island in Rhode Island

Of course all this won’t mean much on Saturday

Apparently only two parents per player and special invited VIPs will be the only people allowed into the game.

Gangtackle11
April 13th, 2021, 03:53 PM
I’ve been impressed with the way the Blue Hens have come back and handled their schedule this year, They have been laser focused and you can see the chemistry

But not really impressed at all with the schedule itself

Maine and Stony Brook are just not good football teams right now

In fact, I would even walk the plank over the freezing waters surrounding Deception Island with killer whales doing the vertical hunt and proclaim that Delaware state would give Stony Brook a good game this year, maybe even upset....

Rhode Island is ok, And actually beat Villanova in Philadelphia

Delaware beat Rhode Island in Rhode Island

Of course all this won’t mean much on Saturday

Apparently only two parents per player and special invited VIPs will be the only people allowed into the game.

I have 2 tix Carrib as a “special invited VIP”. Want to be my guest? Not sure the visitors side seats are open though. You can mingle with the Cats!! Of course, you’ll be persona non-grata on gohens.net xpeacex

caribbeanhen
April 13th, 2021, 05:07 PM
I have 2 tix Carrib as a “special invited VIP”. Want to be my guest? Not sure the visitors side seats are open though. You can mingle with the Cats!! Of course, you’ll be persona non-grata on gohens.net xpeacex

I appreciate your gracious invitation gangtackle, but I still haven’t been able to slip this pesky ankle bracelet

I’ll be down here on the rock for a few more years

HensRock
April 14th, 2021, 08:51 AM
I saw little from the Blue Hens vs. Delaware State that leans to a blow out win over a team that has owned them over pretty much any time frame you want to discuss.

Let's discuss the 25-year period from 1971-1995....

OhioHen
April 14th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Delaware in a cake walk #BOOKIT

No!!!!! Not the dreaded @POD Knows "book it" jinx!

Gangtackle11
April 14th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Let's discuss the 25-year period from 1971-1995....

You are correct. A good time frame to reference for Blue Hen fans even if it spans 26 to 40 years ago. 14-3-1 during that time. Those who were there to witness that hopefully still have their original teeth!

The rest is 28-7-0 for Villanova. The current 8 game win streak by Nova is longest in the history between the 2 teams. 13 of last 14 goes to the Cats....It’s been awhile since the once proud football program won 2 in a row vs. Nova. (2003-05 UD won 3 straight)

Not bad for the basketball school. Wouldnt u say? xpeacex

HensRock
April 14th, 2021, 11:46 AM
You were the one who opened it up to "any time frame", GT.
Just pointing out that these things ebb and flow.
Going 1-14 over the last 15 years has seemed like a bad dream, but I think that is the only time frame you can legitimately say the Cats have "owned" the Hens - and THEY CERTAINLY HAVE!
15 years is significant, but only a fraction of the 126 year history between UD and VU on the gridiron.

I hope it's time to wake up from this bad dream!

Gangtackle11
April 14th, 2021, 04:39 PM
You were the one who opened it up to "any time frame", GT.
Just pointing out that these things ebb and flow.
Going 1-14 over the last 15 years has seemed like a bad dream, but I think that is the only time frame you can legitimately say the Cats have "owned" the Hens - and THEY CERTAINLY HAVE!
15 years is significant, but only a fraction of the 126 year history between UD and VU on the gridiron.

I hope it's time to wake up from this bad dream!

I also didn’t argue your time frame referenced. I supported it with facts. The Hens will eventually win this game. This crazy spring season may be what it takes. xpeacex

HENJOHN
April 15th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Hey, we have been getting Spanked for awhile and there is no denying it. Would love to go the Main Line for about the 20th time but will have to settle for LAPTOP viewing. VUs QB really impressed me last year. This UD sure appears to have a different toughness this year so we will see

Gangtackle11
April 16th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Vegas oddsmakers have Delaware as a 6 1/2 point favorite & o/u is 56.

melloware13
April 16th, 2021, 11:35 AM
If I did bet I would stay away from this game. Based on the results from the spring the line makes sense but weird things happen way too often

Gangtackle11
April 17th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Nova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2021/4/16/fb2020notes_G4.pdf

Gangtackle11
April 17th, 2021, 09:51 AM
https://twitter.com/novafootball/status/1383407924840521731?s=21

KPSUL
April 17th, 2021, 10:40 AM
I see Delaware winning this game, Villanova should be in the game, but it looks like Delaware has finally shaken off the effects of BRAAW​k!!

melloware13
April 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM
https://twitter.com/novafootball/status/1383407924840521731?s=21
Trying to mimic URI's look? I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

melloware13
April 17th, 2021, 03:06 PM
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gangtackle11
April 17th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Leaving the game. Congrats Blue Hen fans. The streak is over. xsalutex

melloware13
April 17th, 2021, 03:17 PM
It didn't feel safe until that pick at the end, was having 2013 flashbacks for a while

GoBlueHens83
April 17th, 2021, 03:21 PM
After that miracle TD pass by Nova, I was sure that they would come back and win. Glad the losing streak is over and happy to see UD back in the playoffs.

caribbeanhen
April 17th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Henderson with his biggest and best game as a Bluehen with some beautiful passes

the curse is over

OhioHen
April 17th, 2021, 03:31 PM
2-2 probably won't get Nova a playoff spot, but they'll be dangerous if invited.

Gangtackle11
April 17th, 2021, 03:41 PM
2-2 probably won't get Nova a playoff spot, but they'll be dangerous if invited.

Nova’s spring season is over. xpeacex

NY Crusader 2010
April 17th, 2021, 04:03 PM
After that miracle TD pass by Nova, I was sure that they would come back and win. Glad the losing streak is over and happy to see UD back in the playoffs.

I don't want to jinx it (we're up 33-10) but what are the chances of UD facing the Holy Cross-Bucknell winner?

melloware13
April 17th, 2021, 04:07 PM
I don't want to jinx it (we're up 33-10) but what are the chances of UD facing the Holy Cross-Bucknell winner?
I'd think if it's Holy Cross it's 50/50 between them and Sacred Heart. If Bucknell comes back I'd say they are 90% to go to Newark

Ivytalk
April 17th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Congrats to the Hens! Now you know how Yale felt after ending a comparable Harvard streak in 2016.

kdinva
April 18th, 2021, 07:01 AM

That was Sports Center play #1....