PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Media Day

DFW HOYA
July 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM
A question on next week's PL media day: how many "media" actually attend?

Given its convenient location to Leh and Laf, it's a given that the Morning Call and Express-News attend, and maybe the Sunbury Daily Item. But for a midweek event that gets no attention in larger markets, do any media from New York, DC, or Boston even plan to attend?

carney2
July 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Given its convenient location to Leh and Laf, it's a given that the Morning Call and Express-News attend, and maybe the Sunbury Daily Item. But for a midweek event that gets no attention in larger markets, do any media from New York, DC, or Boston even plan to attend?

Good question. I looked at some of last year's coverage and the best I could get was from I-AA.org's Chuck Burton (LFN on this board) who stated that "the media turnout was huge." I guess then, on your behalf, DFW, as well as my own, I am issuing a plea to Mr. Burton to give us a rundown as to just who comprises the media on a Patriot League Media Day.

Go...gate
July 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Trenton Times and Newark Star-Ledger (now owned by the same company) usually send somebody.

hvsader
July 27th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I expect Chris from...

http://www.hooptimeonline.com/

will be there

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Last year, there were two TV crews there (I think local ones: channel 69 and SE2), along with folks from the Express-Times, Morning Call, Sunbury Times, Daily Item... as well as a Sports Network guy and a I-AA.org guy. :D There were other media there (I think) as well.

Folks like the NYT, WaPo, etc. did not attend last year.

My understanding is that the media group will still be pretty big this year, including some NY media (upstate and downstate), but as of now no representation from Worcester or DC.

CrusaderBob
July 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I expect Chris from...

http://www.hooptimeonline.com/

will be there

For football, not likely. Unless he is there as a stringer for the Worcester Telegram.

Speaking of which, the Worcester Telegram MAY send someone but it is unlikley either of the Boston paper will. When HC has it's media day later in August, they usually get 2 or 3 reporters - Herald & Telegram. Since the Globe and the Telegram are owned by the same company, the Globe has taken to picking up the story from the Telegram when they deem it "newsworthy" enough.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
For football, not likely. Unless he is there as a stringer for the Worcester Telegram.

Speaking of which, the Worcester Telegram MAY send someone but it is unlikley either of the Boston paper will. When HC has it's media day later in August, they usually get 2 or 3 reporters - Herald & Telegram. Since the Globe and the Telegram are owned by the same company, the Globe has taken to picking up the story from the Telegram when they deem it "newsworthy" enough.

Welcome CrusaderBob! I've noticed that about the Globe that they basically pick up the WTG's feed of Holy Cross, which in a way isn't a bad thing since they'll get a better writeup that way. Personally, I wish that the Philadelphia papers (and my local rag) would do things like that.

I'm hoping that the WTG will bring a person there.

Pard4Life
July 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I wonder if any players will be conceeding that the Ivy is better than the Patriot again this year... fact is, it played out that way on the field.

carney2
July 28th, 2007, 07:59 AM
We get very little (translation: almost none) 'sader input on this board. I really don't want to hijack this thread, but (1) PL people do this sort of thing all the time, and (2) I don't know how else to contact you. Anyway, what are your impressions of this year's HC team and their prospects? Many (most, I guess) see them as a prime contender for the League championship. Others (including me) see them as headed in the wrong direction. There appears to be no middle ground here. Interested in a not so objective, insider's view.

ngineer
July 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I think the NYC and PHilly print media contract with the Morning Call or Express-Times to provide them anything that they deem 'worthy' to publish in their papers. Do not think any electronic media from the those two areas would attend. Some of the smaller regional papers in PA and NJ may be there, i.e. Pottstown Mercury since a fair number of hs players from the region go to PL schools.

Pard4Life
July 28th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I think the NYC and PHilly print media contract with the Morning Call or Express-Times to provide them anything that they deem 'worthy' to publish in their papers. Do not think any electronic media from the those two areas would attend. Some of the smaller regional papers in PA and NJ may be there, i.e. Pottstown Mercury since a fair number of hs players from the region go to PL schools.

I am disappointed the Star-Ledger doesn't provide more coverage, considering tons of NJ students and players go to PL schools, and the coverage area is close to the Lehigh Valley. Not full features, but blurbs and some info once in awhile..

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I am disappointed the Star-Ledger doesn't provide more coverage, considering tons of NJ students and players go to PL schools, and the coverage area is close to the Lehigh Valley. Not full features, but blurbs and some info once in awhile..

Of course, full features would be better... :D

Seriously, this is really a symptom of the larger trends in media, where there are fewer flagship news agencies and more "hyper-local" coverage that can get picked up if a story goes truly national. Lehigh/Lafayette football is considered, unfortunately "hyper-local" to Beth/All/Easton and doesn't get play outside of that - which is, of course, ridiculous. (Of course, it's better than Georgetown and Fordham, which is invisible even in the best of times.)

I continue to believe that Patriot League sports, and football in particular, needs to be a national brand more than ever. Of course, I'm putting my pen when my mouth is. :D

colorless raider
July 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Of course, full features would be better... :D

Seriously, this is really a symptom of the larger trends in media, where there are fewer flagship news agencies and more "hyper-local" coverage that can get picked up if a story goes truly national. Lehigh/Lafayette football is considered, unfortunately "hyper-local" to Beth/All/Easton and doesn't get play outside of that - which is, of course, ridiculous. (Of course, it's better than Georgetown and Fordham, which is invisible even in the best of times.)

I continue to believe that Patriot League sports, and football in particular, needs to be a national brand more than ever. Of course, I'm putting my pen when my mouth is. :D

I feel with the Pl's new media guy a savy FCS fan we will be far better off than in the past if the powers that be give him some kind of budget to work with. I hope I am right since we need more pub!!:D

JoltinJoe
July 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
. (Of course, it's better than Georgetown and Fordham, which is invisible even in the best of times.)

That's really not so. During Fordham's run at the top of the PL a few years back, it was getting significant coverage in the New York area media. The day of the Fordham-Villanova national quaterfinal game saw half-page coverage in the New York Times with a game-day feature as well as a sidebar focusing on the history of the Fordham program.

When Fordham wins, the media take notice.

Fordham Makes Strides With Helpful Look Back (http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F40D11F73B5F0C748CDDAB0994DA404482)

CrusaderBob
July 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM
We get very little (translation: almost none) 'sader input on this board. I really don't want to hijack this thread, but (1) PL people do this sort of thing all the time, and (2) I don't know how else to contact you. Anyway, what are your impressions of this year's HC team and their prospects? Many (most, I guess) see them as a prime contender for the League championship. Others (including me) see them as headed in the wrong direction. There appears to be no middle ground here. Interested in a not so objective, insider's view.

Carney,

I'm probably not the best guy to answer as I only get to a game or two a year and don't follow things too closely in the off season. But I will say that the team is no way headed in the wrong direction. When you look at what has happened over the last 3 years versus the 10 prior to that I'm not sure how you can have that opinion.

It's easy to say that they've accomplished what they have with smoke and mirrors, but you don't go from 1-11, 3-8, 6-5, 7-4 with tricks. The team has clearly improved.

The defense has improved every year under Gilmore and I don't expect that to be different this year. After that, this football and it comes down to how the lines play. If the the three new starters on the offensive line keep Randolph clean, I think things look pretty good to improve on that final record again this year.

breezy
July 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I'll take a crack at answering your question, Carney. My thanks to CrusaderBob for getting things started.

I read your review of HC's incoming recruiting class and I realize that you consider it to be the weakest class in the league. Although I am very skeptical of that, I do not have objective data to rebut or refute your position. Word is that the coaching staff is very satisfied with the recruiting class; it is drawn from many parts of the country and seems to fill all needs -- particularly in the kicking game.

As for this year, I do not understand your perspective. All but one of the skill players return on offense, led by QB Dom Randolph, 2 solid RB's in Kielt and Gass, and a solid receiving corps. The offensive line returns only two starters, but this is a key to why I think HC is headed in the right direction.

When Gilmore came in three years ago, he had the objective of building up both talent and depth on both sides of the ball. There are solid OLs on the roster ready to step up -- only 2 of the 10 OLs on the pre-season depth chart are seniors, and there is more depth behind that. Looking at recruiting as a whole since Gilmore has arrived, it is evident that he has accomplished his objective -- there is better talent and depth across the board.

HC's weakness in recent years has been on the defensive side -- both against the run and the pass. Again, the projected starting DL this year is bigger than recent years, and should be better able to hold the scrimmage line. All LBs except for Dan Adams return, and this is another group that has been improving and has many underclassmen ready to step up. The four starting DBs are all veterans -- this is the one area on the team where the seniors are dominant. The hope is that the experience there will mean improvement from last year.

I expect an offense that will be able to protect Randolph and open holes for the running backs; it will move the ball down the field. I expect a defense that will be tougher than last year. Long range, I see a very competitive program being put together that will be in the hunt each year.

This year the schedule is the toughest in recent years. UMass, four solid Ivy teams, and the PL games. It will be a challenge to exceed or match last year's record, but this team has the ability to do it. I'm looking forward to watching them compete, and I think they will go toe-to-toe with the opponent in every game.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Many (most, I guess) see them as a prime contender for the League championship. Others (including me) see them as headed in the wrong direction.

Other than the L-L-C (Leh/Laf/Colg), which PL teams do you see as heading in the right direction?

TheValleyRaider
July 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Other than the L-L-C (Leh/Laf/Colg), which PL teams do you see as heading in the right direction?

carney's a bit of a curmudgeon (self-described, I believe). He doesn't see any of those 3 heading in the right direction either. xrotatehx

ngineer
July 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, I don't see anyone heading in the wrong direction. Of course, if Colgate lays another sub .500 season then there would certainly be concerns there. Lafayette and Lehigh appear to me to be static and trying to get 'deeper'. I see more competitiveness coming from Holy Cross, Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown. HC I would nominate as a darkhorse contender this year.

carney2
July 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Curmudgeon? CURMUDGEON?!! Yeah. Actually it's a badge that I wear with pride. Another badge that I wear with pride is the one that says "Calls Them As He Sees Them." With that in mind, and addressing the "headed in the right direction" topic that has emerged in this thread, here is one curmudgeon's opinion (in alphabetic order within category):

Headed in the right direction:

BUCKNELL - Smurfs with speed aint gonna grab too many trophies, but the program is better than it was.

FORDHAM - Can't wait for 2008.

LAFAYETTE - From "dropping football" to this.

LEHIGH - Coen will make everyone forget that a disaster was looming under Petey.

Headed in the wrong direction:

HOLY CROSS - What happens after, or (shudder) without, Randolph?

On the bubble:

COLGATE - A bump in the road, or have they fallen from their lofty perch?

GEORGETOWN - Does Kelly have them moving? I think so. I hope so.

carney2
July 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'll take a crack at answering your question, Carney. My thanks to CrusaderBob for getting things started.

I read your review of HC's incoming recruiting class and I realize that you consider it to be the weakest class in the league. Although I am very skeptical of that, I do not have objective data to rebut or refute your position. Word is that the coaching staff is very satisfied with the recruiting class; it is drawn from many parts of the country and seems to fill all needs -- particularly in the kicking game.

As for this year, I do not understand your perspective. All but one of the skill players return on offense, led by QB Dom Randolph, 2 solid RB's in Kielt and Gass, and a solid receiving corps. The offensive line returns only two starters, but this is a key to why I think HC is headed in the right direction.

When Gilmore came in three years ago, he had the objective of building up both talent and depth on both sides of the ball. There are solid OLs on the roster ready to step up -- only 2 of the 10 OLs on the pre-season depth chart are seniors, and there is more depth behind that. Looking at recruiting as a whole since Gilmore has arrived, it is evident that he has accomplished his objective -- there is better talent and depth across the board.

HC's weakness in recent years has been on the defensive side -- both against the run and the pass. Again, the projected starting DL this year is bigger than recent years, and should be better able to hold the scrimmage line. All LBs except for Dan Adams return, and this is another group that has been improving and has many underclassmen ready to step up. The four starting DBs are all veterans -- this is the one area on the team where the seniors are dominant. The hope is that the experience there will mean improvement from last year.

I expect an offense that will be able to protect Randolph and open holes for the running backs; it will move the ball down the field. I expect a defense that will be tougher than last year. Long range, I see a very competitive program being put together that will be in the hunt each year.

This year the schedule is the toughest in recent years. UMass, four solid Ivy teams, and the PL games. It will be a challenge to exceed or match last year's record, but this team has the ability to do it. I'm looking forward to watching them compete, and I think they will go toe-to-toe with the opponent in every game.

Good job, breezy. You are the first to support a 'sader pick with more than "they did well the past two years." Here's hoping that you and Bob are with us thru the entire season. Besides having a rollickin' good time kicking the crap out of me if I am wrong, we will need your input when it comes time to fix/improve the recruiting rating system.

LBPop
July 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
When Fordham wins, the media take notice.

I have always contended that it would be same here in DC with the Hoyas. Hopefully, someday I will be proven right.xrolleyesx

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I have always contended that it would be same here in DC with the Hoyas.
I wish I could agree, but too much UM, VT and UVA coverage for G'town to be noticed on the football field. One of them is bound to be good each year and that trumps G'town. I hate the coverage of college sports in general here... way too much what have you done for me lately. You go to other areas of the country and the media lives and dies with their teams. Here they just live with them and then dump them when they're down. xsmhx

JoltinJoe
July 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I wish I could agree, but too much UM, VT and UVA coverage for G'town to be noticed on the football field. One of them is bound to be good each year and that trumps G'town. I hate the coverage of college sports in general here... way too much what have you done for me lately. You go to other areas of the country and the media lives and dies with their teams. Here they just live with them and then dump them when they're down. xsmhx

I disagree. When Georgetown has its break-out year, the Washington Post is going to run wild with a huge feature on the history of the Hoya program, major bowl games, etc. The Washington media will be eating up with a spoon and serving it up with a ladle.

I'd love to see both Fordham and Georgetown become consistently good. That will really fire up what was a great rivalry back in the day. Memo to PL: schedule Fordham/Georgetown last game of the year on Rivalry Saturday.

DFW HOYA
July 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I disagree. When Georgetown has its break-out year, the Washington Post is going to run wild with a huge feature on the history of the Hoya program, major bowl games, etc. The Washington media will be eating up with a spoon and serving it up with a ladle.

Not a chance. Georgetown posted consecutive 9-2 years in 1998 and 1999 and couldn't catch a cold from the local media.

The Post now bases coverage on where the subscribers are--which in Washington's case, means lots of Terps and Hokies, with some 'Hoos and Mids thrown in as well. Georgetown and Howard sports doesn't sell papers beyond the Beltway, which is where the growth is.

LBPop
July 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Not a chance. Georgetown posted consecutive 9-2 years in 1998 and 1999 and couldn't catch a cold from the local media.

Of course you have a much deeper perspective, but my sense is that part of the problem in the late 90's was the competition. Very few of the teams they played were well known. If the Hoyas started winning (this year, for example xpeacex), they would be defeating Cornell, Yale, Penn, Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette, etc. I've gotta believe (or dream, at least) that this would get the attention of the print and broadcast media. Sure, the Terps, Hokies, Hoos would get the lion's share of the ink, but I think the theme might be, "Look at poor little Georgetown and the football team that could". As condescending as that might be...I'd take it. xnodx

89Hen
July 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one because I don't see that happening even if they were to win a I-AA NC. xsmhx

ngineer
July 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM

I'd love to see both Fordham and Georgetown become consistently good. That will really fire up what was a great rivalry back in the day. Memo to PL: schedule Fordham/Georgetown last game of the year on Rivalry Saturday.

I agree...sounds like a natural to me..I'd truly send a memo to the PL about it.xnodx

Andy
July 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Quote:
''In the end, because the pool has gotten smaller because of the increased standards, we are diluting the talent level of the league. Now, when you say that, someone is going to split their pants. But it's the truth.''

Tavani offers three possible scenarios.

''You either have to go merit aid and cut down on the size of the squads, or you have to lower your standards, or your Step 3 is keep it the same and watch the level of play diminish,'' he said. ''There are no other answers. I've said that privately many times and I don't mind saying it in public.''

LFN--"If I'm a recruit going to Lafayette for the class of 2011, how am I supposed to interpret this? My coach feels like the talent level is diminished over years past. Maybe kids don't care, but I'm just wondering."

LFN--"Something really seems odd over there in Easton. First, was coach Tavani railing out against the Academic Index right after brining in the class of 2011, which seems to confirm that this year’s class was weaker than usual."

You're kidding, right? Otherwise I find your suggested interpretation of Frank's remarks disingenuous, outrageous, and downright ridiculous. Frank said "we are diluting the talent of THE LEAGUE". You know, the league whose '05 co-champ lost to CCSU and Dartmouth; whose '06 co-champ lost to all four Ivy opponents; whose members lost to Duquesne, Monmouth twice, Albany and by 30 pts to Columbia. THE LEAGUE! Remember it's THE LEAGUE who's undertaking the study of the AI and it's effects, (as you pointed out in your original LFN piece on the AI) not Frank Tavani at Lafayette.

Frank could've sat quietly back in his new digs, fat and happy, soaking up the accolades for turning the program around and winning three straight championships. Instead, he takes a leadership, point man position in THE LEAGUE'S push for scholarships and that's the thanks he gets? A respected columnist and league spokesman twisting Frank's words into a slight at his own recruits. Come on! Come back to us, Chuck.

Who better to describe the league's self imposed untenable recruiting position than a wildly successful, three-peat champ? He's not whining or making excuses from the bottom of the league standings. If HE'S bitching, it must be true. He's credible. Some of us appreciate it, Frank.

carney2
July 31st, 2007, 11:53 AM

Beware. I made a similar comment quite recently on another thread and our new 'sader voices at this site ripped me a second one. (I had also stated that Bucknell-Colgate seems like a natural for a "rivalry weekend.") They are right, of course. Seven does not divide easily by two, and what did Holy Cross do to get left out of the mix? There were some excellent suggestions made, but the point is that this needs some thought - and may actually be the reason why the League has not jumped on top of this idea up to now.