PDA

View Full Version : Determining Playoff Seeds?

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2007, 06:23 AM
How is this done? Just by committee?

All I see is...

Only thing I read about seeding is, "The top four teams in the 16-team bracket for the championship will be seeded. Team pairings will be determined by geographical proximity, with the exception that teams from the same conference may not be paired in the first round." (2006 Div I Championship Handbook, http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf).

We're in a debate of this on KatFans.com where there are several who think it is based off the Sports Network poll, but two of the last three years (the only years I research), this did not hold true. Last year was the year that did when you tossed ineligible NDSU...

So, any help?

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2007, 06:45 AM
TA MAH RECOLLECTION.......DUH SPORTS NETWORK POLL.....HAS USUALLY BEEN CLOSE..(BUT NOT OFFICIAL)....TA DUH LIST O' TEAMS....DUH COMMITTEE CONSIDERS....(BELIEVE DEY KEEP DERE OWN LIST)...AFTERAH DUH AUTO/QUALIFIERS.......(QUALITY WINS...STRENGTH O' SKED....MAYBE EVEN LOCATION...IFIN' SOMEONE OUT WEST NEEDS UH PAIRIN')....ARE DECIDIN' FACTORS......xtwocentsx...AWQ!

NOT SAYIN'.....JES'........xoopsx...BRAWQ!

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Yes.

McNeese72
July 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM

All I see is...

Only thing I read about seeding is, "The top four teams in the 16-team bracket for the championship will be seeded. Team pairings will be determined by geographical proximity, with the exception that teams from the same conference may not be paired in the first round." (2006 Div I Championship Handbook, http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf).

We're in a debate of this on KatFans.com where there are several who think it is based off the Sports Network poll, but two of the last three years (the only years I research), this did not hold true. Last year was the year that did when you tossed ineligible NDSU...

So, any help?

I've always heard that the Playoff Selection Committe keeps their own secret power ratings during the season and they use that plus other factors to determine the teams, seedings, etc.

Doc

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM
The seeding is obviously based off of regular season play. But the teams that are sometimes not always deserving of home games in the playoffs end up with home games because it will generate the most revenue for the FCS. This is why for the past 14 years Montana has always gotten at least one home playoff game. And I will admit, a couple of those times we did not deserve them, because they do give the largest advantage possible...23,500 of your closest friends.

GannonFan
July 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
The seeding is obviously based off of regular season play. But the teams that are sometimes not always deserving of home games in the playoffs end up with home games because it will generate the most revenue for the FCS. This is why for the past 14 years Montana has always gotten at least one home playoff game. And I will admit, a couple of those times we did not deserve them, because they do give the largest advantage possible...23,500 of your closest friends.

Hyperbole alert. Montana played on the road in the first round (and lost) in both 1997 and 1998. And it's not like Montana was squeaking into the playoffs and a home game a lot during that timeframe - they were one of the top teams in many, many of those years so a home game was to be expected.

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I've always heard that the Playoff Selection Committe keeps their own secret power ratings during the season and they use that plus other factors to determine the teams, seedings, etc.

Yes, that's true. The Regional Advisory Committees also play a key role in selection of at-large bids based on the criteria mentioned. They track the progress of teams throughout the season.

See page 11:
http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf