PDA

View Full Version : Villanova football in the news

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
3 Villanova football players told to leave campus

Villanova officials said today that three football players were told to leave campus by last Friday at 6 p.m. because of allegations of misconduct during the weekend of July 14-15

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20070725_Villanova_football_players_asked_to_leave _campus.html

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
xeyebrowx

Too little information at this time. Supposedly there is a statement occurring now on this...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Whoops. Dug around and found this:

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/Daily;jsessionid=dfRYGnMWgQJ8QtvlxmJRnNhQqvNPtjs7f nwX1cjTqWv1CGQ247Gp!-1909965304?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FDCT%2FHome&r21.content=%2FDCT%2FHome%2FTopStoryList_Story_536 704

Students are talking about an assault in a dormitory on campus, the mother said.

“As a parent, I want to know about something as serious as this, and I want to hear about it from the university,” the mother said. “Keeping it quiet, that puts my own daughter at risk.”

As of late Tuesday, neither Radnor police nor the Delaware County District Attorney’s office could confirm any incident involving an assault at Villanova or involving Villanova students.

“There was an incident that took place,” Nicastro said. “And an internal investigation is moving forward. The university is handling this in a thorough and deliberate way. Any time you have something like this, you have a high level of concern.”

Talley said he was made aware of an incident involving members of his team last week and immediately notified university officials. He then informed the team early Monday morning several of their teammates had been asked to leave campus.

“At no time was the word rape used, or sexual assault,” Talley said.

Among the options would be going to local police, if the student chooses to do so, according to the federal Clery Act.

“I don’t think that has been done,” Nicastro said, when asked if local authorities had been notified.

Talley said he found out about the incident a week ago, again declining to elaborate.

“When I was made aware that an incident had taken place, at that point I got in contact with everyone to figure out what happened,” Talley said. “The final decision was to ask the (players) to leave (campus).

“I informed the team Monday morning at 6.”

Go...gate
July 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Not good.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM
And GeeWiz doesn't think Philly cares about Nova football. :p

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM
And GeeWiz doesn't think Philly cares about Nova football. :p

When it's on the front page of the Philly Inquirer 89Hen I'll give you mad props!

How's that? xsmiley_wix

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
When it's on the front page of the Philly Inquirer 89Hen I'll give you mad props!

How's that? xsmiley_wix
You'd have to go back a couple years when a Nova priest ran over some Hen fans after a game. xnodx I think that was front page news. :p

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Perhaps Coach Hauck should take note of how Talley handles team discipline. I don't like Tallet, but I'll give him props for getting out front of this situation and taking strong action that sends the right message to the team.

ngineer
July 26th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Article in this morning's paper said that there was a claim of forcible rape but at the moment it is still being investigated internally at the school as opposed to the local police/DA....More is sure to follow on this, but it sounded as if all three players were incoming freshman.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
The three incoming frosh were expelled from the school:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/Sex_case_rocks__Nova_football_team.html

Villanova rescinded the admissions of three freshman football players last night after Radnor Township police said they were investigating the alleged sexual assault of a female student on the Main Line campus.

"It was a report of forcible rape," university spokeswoman Liz Kennedy Walsh said.

It doesn't look like Villanova has updated their rosters yet, so it's only speculation at this point as to who the three kids are. They signed 16 to NLI's, and have 20 frosh on the roster; all announced 16 are still on there.

Coach Talley needs to be applauded for getting to the bottom of this and having a no-tolerance policy on stuff like this.

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM
ANDEEEE.....IS OL' SCHOOL...WHEN ADMINISTERIN' DISIPLINE........KEELER......BENCHED OURAH KICKER.....WHEN HE MISSED UH GAME DAY....TEAM BREAKFAST......WE WENT FO' TWO........IN DUH CAA.......CRIME=NO PLAYIN' TIME...............xsmhx...BRAWK.COM!

Ronbo
July 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
On Fox News. But why talk about that when you can bash Montana over a DUI by a 20 year old?xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Don't mention that Ronbo.

Otherwise they might also find out that 5 Georgia Southern players have been arrested this year, one for public intoxication and attempted robbery. The others for charges including car bugleries in marijuana. And dang it if they didn't have, for the second straight year, scholarships removed due to poor academic performance.

Shh keeep quiet Ronbo, you and I, the fans of Thug U - will keep quiet.

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM
In all seriousness though this is an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. I really hope people have learned after the Duke case (and many other rape cases) not to pass judgment whatsoever yet. Hopefully it is not true.

Go...gate
July 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
The three incoming frosh were expelled from the school:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/Sex_case_rocks__Nova_football_team.html

It doesn't look like Villanova has updated their rosters yet, so it's only speculation at this point as to who the three kids are. They signed 16 to NLI's, and have 20 frosh on the roster; all announced 16 are still on there.

Coach Talley needs to be applauded for getting to the bottom of this and having a no-tolerance policy on stuff like this.

Agreed. I am also not a Talley fan, but he is absolutely doing the right thing here.

walliver
July 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Why is a "rape" investigation being handled by an internal investigation? Rape investigations should be handled by the police (but definitely not in the Nifong way). I wonder if the story is more complicated than the early reports suggust.

WMTribe90
July 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Griz fans still don't get it. Players behave poorly at ALL universities (some are worse than others) from time to time. That's not the point of contention. The difference is what happens afterwards. Programs/HC's with integrity take quick and decisive action to ensure there are consequences for breaking team rules or the law and they do it consistently regardless of the players athletic ability or importance to the team. Programs that lack integrity give out fourth and fifth chances while attempting to downplay the seriousness of the transgressions. Talley couldn't stop these freshmen from putting themsleves in a bad situation anymore than Hauck could prevent Quinn from his SECOND DUI, but Talley left no doubt as to what is expected from a member of the VU football team and he gets credit for that. We'll see what kind of player Hauck wants representing the UM football team if/when Quinn is shown the door.

OL FU
July 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Three playersxeyebrowx Good thing it was the players and not their fansxnodx They wouldn't have any fans left:o

ngineer
July 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Why is a "rape" investigation being handled by an internal investigation? Rape investigations should be handled by the police (but definitely not in the Nifong way). I wonder if the story is more complicated than the early reports suggust.

Reported today at 6 p.m. news that the victim of the sexual assault does not want to press criminal charges 'at present'. Radnor police said they were called to investigate, but if the victim chooses not to pursue so be it. For the moment is it seems she is satisfied with the actions taken by the school....but I find it strange.xconfusedx

UncleSam
July 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Reported today at 6 p.m. news that the victim of the sexual assault does not want to press criminal charges 'at present'. Radnor police said they were called to investigate, but if the victim chooses not to pursue so be it. For the moment is it seems she is satisfied with the actions taken by the school....but I find it strange.xconfusedx

Here's the story:

A Villanova University student who told the school that she had been raped by three incoming freshman football players, who have since been kicked out of school, does not want to press charges, Radnor police said yesterday.

"It was clear in the victim's mind that a forcible sexual assault and rape had occurred against her in a South Campus dorm room," police said in a statement. However, the woman told them that she was not interested in having them continue their investigation, Police Superintendent John L. Rutty said. That does not preclude her from changing her mind, he said.

On Wednesday night, Villanova announced that it had investigated the incident, which the woman said occurred late July 14 and early July 15, and had rescinded admission for the three players on ground that they violated the school's code of conduct.

The woman's decision not to seek charges will not affect the dismissals, a Villanova spokeswoman said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20070727_Villanova_student_halts_her_rape_case.htm l