PDA

View Full Version : CAA TV Schedule

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM
The CAA will announce today the below listed TV schedule (24 games) for their '07 season, most of the games will be on CN8 or CSN (Comcast SportsNet). The CN8 games will all be available on a live Internet feed.

8/30
Delaware @ W&M - CN8 - 7:30

9/1
JMU @ North Carolina - ESPN360 - 6:00
Villanova @ Maryland - ESPN360 - 6:00

9/8
URI @ Army - ESPN Classic - 1:00
UNH @ JMU - CN8 - 3:30

9/15
Towson @ UMass - CN8 -Noon
URI @ Delaware - CN8 - 3:30

9/22
UMass @ Maine - CN8 - Noon
Delaware @ Towson - CSN -7:00

9/29
Villanova @ JMU - CSN - Noon
UNH @ Richmond - CN8 - 3:30

10/6
Richmond @ Towson - CSN - Noon
Delaware @ UNH - CN8 - Noon

10/13
Hofstra @ Towson - CSN - Noon

10/20
N'eastern @ UMass - CN8 - Noon

10/27
Richmond @ JMU - CSN - Noon
Delaware @ Navy - CSTV - 1:00
Hofstra @ Villanova - CN8 - 3:30

11/3
JMU @ Delaware - CSN - Noon
Villanova @ Richmond - CN8 - 3:30

11/10
Villanova @ Towson - CSN - Noon
UNH @ UMass - CN8 - Noon

11/17
W&M @ Richmond - CSN - Noon
Delaware @ Villanova - CN8 - 3:30

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wow! 5 TV games for Towson! 4 at home. Not sure what to think about the last three from a attendance prespective. We can pack it in for Delaware, @11K in 2005, I hope we can represnt in the stand for the UR, Hofstra and Nova games.

Psyched about getting to see the UMass game now!

TigerFan17
July 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yah the only advantage this gives me for us is seeing the game @ UMass. But hey, thats a lot more CAA games for me to see than I would've been able to otherwise! xrotatehx

Looks like the fellas that control the tele see big things from us this year.. xrotatehx

Wonder how much we beat UD by this year...? ;)

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM
OH SNAP! xeekx Another Towson fan! I must be dreaming.

TigerFan17
July 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I've been here for years (see the 550 posts). Only around during football season, as the other seasons, I am busy as all hell. Its getting to be about that time though...the greatest time of the year! :D :D :D

redspider
July 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Five games for Richmond I like it hopefully I get to watch the Towson and JMU games on TV the rest I will proabaly be at the stadium for!

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
So much for getting FIOS this fall. :p

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM
32 appearances for CAA All-Sport members or non-New England members. Yet despite having 5 of 12 members.......New England CAA teams get 12 appearances. Color me impressed xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx.

America East Football can't happen fast enough.

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Only two games for WM out of 44 available slots. An equitable distribution would have been a minimum three appearences per team. I believe WM was third or fourth in average home attendance last year, so you can't use lack of interest as an excuse. I realize the league probably has little or no control over what games get broadcast and I do appreciate the overall increase in coverage. I would just like to see a more even distribution.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
32 appearances for CAA All-Sport members...
Are you implying that the CAA is taking care of it's all-sport members first? xcoffeex <---- for you

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Are you implying that the CAA is taking care of it's all-sport members first? xcoffeex <---- for you

Yup.....that's what I'm implying (actually all "Southern" members too).

for you---------> xanim_chaix

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Gotta love 6 appearances for Southern doormat Villanova. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

The CAA did no better than the A-10 did with TV coverage.

xcoffeex

Witter19
July 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
If you notice CSN which covers mainly the D.C. area is loaded with JMU and Towson games, makes sense...

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Gotta love 6 appearances for Southern doormat Villanova. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

xcoffeex

Maybe not for Maine, but they sure did for the CAA in general.

PS - think maybe the Philly TV market might have something to do with all the Nova games???

Cobblestone
July 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The CAA will announce today the below listed TV schedule (24 games) for their '07 season, most of the games will be on CN8 or CSN (Comcast SportsNet). The CN8 games will all be available on a live Internet feed.

9/8
URI @ Army - ESPN Classic - 1:00

Not sure if it'll be a classic xconfusedx but I'll be there.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Here's something strange. Even though all those 'Nova games are televised, the one game I'd be very interested in seeing (Villanova @ Lehigh) won't be on CN8 or CSNP.

Why only televise league games? I think Nova/Lehigh would get a great Philly area rating, but it's missing. Could they not get a deal with Lehigh and/or FSN-P?

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Here's something strange. Even though all those 'Nova games are televised, the one game I'd be very interested in seeing (Villanova @ Lehigh) won't be on CN8 or CSNP.

Why only televise league games? I think Nova/Lehigh would get a great Philly area rating, but it's missing. Could they not get a deal with Lehigh and/or FSN-P?
Its a CAA only tv schedule. Maybe another local station is going to broadcast the game? I know Towson/Morgan State is being shown on channel 2(ABC) here in Baltimore.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM

What Uncle Sam said. xcoolx

Bitter, bitter... I'm with you in one regard... AE football can't get here fast enough.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Bitter, bitter... I'm with you in one regard... AE football can't get here fast enough.

"The Inaugural Season of CAA Football will feature the largest television package among the nation's Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) conference's."

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1137880

BTW, in case you're still too bitter to read the article...

"WABI-TV in Maine will provide coverage of three conference games involving the Maine Black Bears."

Apologies or excuses will be accepted here ------------------->

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
A few things jump out to me.

1. They are obviously going after the major media markets in Philly and DC areas.

2. UNH and UMass in the North, as well as JMU in the South, have four appearances. Win and you seem to get more recognition.

3. Villanova getting several spots and Delaware with 7 games xeekx televised tells me that 1) Philly market is important and/or 2) these teams are popular. Let's face it, with Delaware you have the largest following in CAA Football, JMU I think is second on that list and closing, but with a 20K+ fan stadium selling out, they put the Blue Hens on TV a lot.

Maine - don't take it personally. I tend to agree with you, but I also think had Maine won more games in the last two years like UNH and UMass, the TV listings would reflect it. Orono is sadly not a big media market, nor is Rhode Island for that matter. NU and Maine will be better this year IMO and I wish I could see some more of them, but I think I am in the minority in this viewpoint.

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM

PS - think maybe the Philly TV market might have something to do with all the Nova games???

No......who cares about Villanova football? xconfusedx

The A-10 had plenty of Regional games televised last season. New England members have no more games this season than last season......maybe less.

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM

You felt the same way 89Hen when the Blue Hens were on thewir way to the CAA.....xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xcoffeex

CAA affiliates feel the same frustration that you Delaware fans felt with the A-10.....xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xcoffeex

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
No......who cares about Villanova football? xconfusedx

I promise you, there are far more people in the Philly area that care about Villanova football, than care about Maine, URI or N'eastern football.

henfan
July 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Jeff, don't by silly. This is the single largest TV conference package in the entire FCS ever, dwarfing anything the A-10 ever put together. I don't recall the A-10 airing an hour long pre-season TV special, nor did they angle for league coverage throughout the season on Comcast. I'm not sure what more anyone could expect in the way of TV coverage at this level, especially for the first season under the CAA banner. A school like UNH, for example, has more games broadcast on CN8 alone (4) than they ever did under any A-10 contract package.

As for UMaine, looks like they've got 4 total games scheduled for broadcast. Perhaps they didn't get additional CN8 games because of their existing deal with WABI. Does WABI have wider distribution throughout the State of Maine than Comcast channels, CN8 and CSN? Keep in mind that the Bears will have an additional game on CN8 if they make the first round of the playoffs.

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
"The Inaugural Season of CAA Football will feature the largest television package among the nation's Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) conference's."

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1137880

BTW, in case you're still too bitter to read the article...

"WABI-TV in Maine will provide coverage of three conference games involving the Maine Black Bears."

Apologies or excuses will be accepted here ------------------->

Yeah, right. xrolleyesx

No need for apologies......Maine has every home game televised by WABI-TV locally every season. The cable package s*cks for the New England teams.....period. Funny how fans can never admit anything wrong when it comes to St. Yeager and the CAA. xrolleyesx

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I promise you, there are far more people in the Philly area that care about Villanova football, than care about Maine, URI or N'eastern football.

One would hope so considering that Villanova is in Philadelphia. xconfusedx

I didn't know that the new CAA football package would be Philly centric.......must be all of those great college football fans in the City of Brotherly Love. xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Let's get real - this is a kickass TV schedule. If you live in the local area and get CSN or CN8, you're going to be guaranteed to get basically one game a week. When it comes to league coverage, the CAA package is great if you have Comcast (and I do).

Where I have a small beef is with the OOC matchups. I don't count "Big 10 Network" and "ESPN 360" as game outlets since it's unlikely they'll be broadcast locally in any way. If you subtract them, you have a whopping 1 game on CN8, one on MSG (which some folks get), one on CSTV (which some folks get), and one on TWC (which, as TVR mentions, will be picked up locally).

henfan
July 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
...I also think had Maine won more games in the last two years like UNH and UMass, the TV listings would reflect it. Orono is sadly not a big media market, nor is Rhode Island for that matter.

It may also have to do with sponsorship, as Comcast does have to sell air time. You do that by airing the most popular teams more than those with lesser interest. Obviously teams in larger media markets will get preference (Boston, NYC, Philly, Balto & DC.)

In fairness, UMaine appeals to more than just Orono or Bangor. They are THE state institution and have fans throughout the state and NE region. They will have 4 games broadcast, which isn't too shabby for an FCS member. To put things into perspective, MAC member & Philly resident school, Temple, will have half as many games broadcast in 2007.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
You felt the same way 89Hen when the Blue Hens were on thewir way to the CAA.....xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xcoffeex

CAA affiliates feel the same frustration that you Delaware fans felt with the A-10.....xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

xcoffeex
You speak for UMass and UNH fans??? Of course I felt the same way, because the CAA is a WORLD better than the A10. Cripes if you really think there's no difference you're either blind or a liar. When you opened the A10 website football page, there'd be a poll on which A10 team was going to win the A10 Field Hockey title... I'm not kidding. xsmhx The A10 and Linda Bruno didn't give one rats arse about football. The CAA is going out of their way to make sure that doesn't happen again. Do you remember last year's A10 football Media Day? No, of course you don't, nobody does. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

TheValleyRaider
July 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
It's not national, or even beyond local, but UMass' and Towson's trips to Colgate will be shown on TimeWarner 26, the local sports channel. xtwocentsx

henfan
July 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Where I have a small beef is with the OOC matchups... If you subtract them, you have a whopping 1 game on CN8, one on MSG (which some folks get), and one on CSTV (which some folks get).

Such is the nature of the FCS/mid-major athletics. The conference can negotiate on behalf of its members for a conference package. Doubtful it has as much pull or impetus to do that for nonconference games.

These networks have to sell advertising time in the areas where they broadcast. For CN8, that would be NE to VA. That makes a game like Penn vs. 'Nova an easier sell than a matchup like Northwestern St. at Northeastern. They're just aren't that many Penn-'Nova regional interconfernce matchups to sell.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Such is the nature of the FCS/mid-major athletics. The conference can negotiate on behalf of its members for a conference package. Doubtful it has as much pull or impetus to do that for nonconference games.

These networks have to sell advertising time in the areas where they broadcast. For CN8, that would be NE to VA. That makes a game like Penn vs. 'Nova an easier sell than a matchup like Northwestern St. at Northeastern. They're just aren't that many Penn-'Nova regional interconfernce matchups to sell.

Like Villanova/Lehigh?

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
One would hope so considering that Villanova is in Philadelphia. xconfusedx

I didn't know that the new CAA football package would be Philly centric.......must be all of those great college football fans in the City of Brotherly Love. xcoolx

I agree with MJ.

CN8 has the New England market too. CN8 has NE programming seperate from the Philly market. It makes no sense for NU to have just ONE friggin game.

NU had three consecutive great, exciting games against UD, UNH and UMass and went 2-1 last year. We have 15 starters returning fromthat finished 4-2 down the stretch.

Weak. xnonono2x

And Uncle Sam since when did 'Nova football become so big in Philly?

Please, when Penn State is on at the same time, who do you think draws more viewers? ... xnonox

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Please, when Penn State is on at the same time, who do you think draws more viewers? ... xnonox
And if BC were on at the same time as NU, UMass, UNH or Maine... xnonox

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
And if BC were on at the same time as NU, UMass, UNH or Maine... xnonox

Huh?

I didn't write that NU football is bigger in Boston than most people think!

It was stated here that Villanova football is bigger than you think in Philly.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It may be. You just have to think really small. :p

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Huh?

I didn't write that NU football is bigger in Boston than most people think!

It was not, xnonox

this was the comment:
I promise you, there are far more people in the Philly area that care about Villanova football, than care about Maine, URI or N'eastern football

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
It was not, xnonox

this was the comment:

Still applies.

No one cares about the 'cats when PSU plays the same time or when Jay Wright's team makes it's season debut ...

Just the reality. xnodx

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Still applies.

No one cares about the 'cats when PSU plays the same time or when Jay Wright's team makes it's season debut ...

Just the reality. xnodx

More reality, they care far less about Maine, N'eastern and URI. ;)

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM
You speak for UMass and UNH fans??? Of course I felt the same way, because the CAA is a WORLD better than the A10. Cripes if you really think there's no difference you're either blind or a liar. When you opened the A10 website football page, there'd be a poll on which A10 team was going to win the A10 Field Hockey title... I'm not kidding. xsmhx The A10 and Linda Bruno didn't give one rats arse about football. The CAA is going out of their way to make sure that doesn't happen again. Do you remember last year's A10 football Media Day? No, of course you don't, nobody does. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

No arguments here with the A-10's squandering of their football league. They plain and simple s*cked. But don't tell me that a bunch of games featuring local teams on local cable outlets (Comcast, CN8) is a big deal. If it were ESPN, CSTV, or Fox Sports......I might feel differently. And please don't tell me that there is more interest this coming season in Villanova and Towson then in 2006 National Runner-Up UMass and UNH with Ricky Santos.

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
More reality, they care far less about Maine, N'eastern and URI. ;)

Thanks Einstein. xrolleyesx

Villanova is located in Philly, therefore more people in Philly care about Villanova than Maine, Northeastern and URI........what an astounding observation. xreadx

SunCoastBlueHen
July 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
It may also have to do with sponsorship, as Comcast does have to sell air time. You do that by airing the most popular teams more than those with lesser interest. Obviously teams in larger media markets will get preference (Boston, NYC, Philly, Balto & DC.)

In fairness, UMaine appeals to more than just Orono or Bangor. They are THE state institution and have fans throughout the state and NE region. They will have 4 games broadcast, which isn't too shabby for an FCS member. To put things into perspective, MAC member & Philly resident school, Temple, will have half as many games broadcast in 2007.

Villanova is located in Philly, therefore more people in Philly care about Villanova than Maine, Northeastern and URI........what an astounding observation. xreadx

Based on these two observations (one being your own) what are you exactly complaining about?

EDIT: I forgot to add your patented, pompous .... xcoffeex

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Based on these two observations (one being your own) what are you exactly complaining about?

EDIT: I forgot to add your patented, pompus .... xcoffeex

Everyone thumping their chest in the pre-season about how Yeager and the CAA were going to get a great TV package for the conference. It's great if you are in the Philly to Baltimore corridor and are a fan of Villanova, Delaware, and Towson. xrolleyesx

blukeys
July 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Everyone thumping their chest in the pre-season about how Yeager and the CAA were going to get a great TV package for the conference. It's great if you are in the Philly to Baltimore corridor and are a fan of Villanova, Delaware, and Towson. xrolleyesx

By any rational comparison of the prior deals with the A-10, this is a much better deal for the CAA. One needs to keep in mind that this is a deal for promoting the entire conference. When the stature of the conference goes up the stature of every team in the conference goes up.

That Maine fares not as well as others is a simple feature of real life advertising economics. Maine has nowhere near the market demographics that a Mid Atlantic CAA team has. This is not about the "interest" anyone has in Villanova football. That is non existent. This is about the perception of those spending advertising dollars and what they would prefer to spend their advertising money on. In this case Villanova does quite well despite the fact that no one goes to their games. VU's reputation in other sports will sell advertising time for premium dollars in markets that are 6 times the size of the State of Maine.

In addition the acquiring of CAA football was for the purpose of increasing Brand recognition in all sports. Since this is the expressed purpose, it only makes sense to feature those all sports schools above the affiliates who bring in little advertising dollars to the table.

I know ignoring this reality is easy for a socialist but it is not easy for someone who has to sell a product and earn a living in this industry.

The CAA negotiated the best deal that will make some money for the conference. There is expanded exposure for the conference if not every school. Yes this is bad. Maine needs to petition to go back to the A-10.xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

mainejeff
July 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
In addition the acquiring of CAA football was for the purpose of increasing Brand recognition in all sports. Since this is the expressed purpose, it only makes sense to feature those all sports schools above the affiliates who bring in little advertising dollars to the table.

If that is truly the case then I know of 6 schools that should just say "screw you" to the CAA. Oh yeah, Northeastern is an all-sport member and in a somewhat large (xrolleyesx) media market. Sorry to poke holes in your reasoning. This is a local/Regional deal......and a lazy one at that. Have fun watching Delaware on local TV......I'll just have to watch other football games on ESPN, CSTV and Fox Sports.

P.S. - mottman on www.gohens.net pretty much hit it on the head with his analysis.

aceinthehole
July 26th, 2007, 07:33 AM
First, for the record I am not supporting or defending MJ. His sour grapes routine is getting old.

However, there a 3 types of TV coverage.

National - this is obvious - ESPN, ESPN2, and national networks. Games must be available to viewers on a nationwide basis.

Regional - This is your Regional Fox Sports Net, Comcast Sports NET (CSN), etc. or other broadly available channels accessesble by ANY local cable or national satelite provider.

Local - This is your local network affiliates or independent channels. And this includes any cable ONLY network that is available in a limited geographic are or only offered by a specific cable provider.

CSTV is a national network, but without the number of viewer than ESPN. CSN is a regional network, but CN8 is a LOCAL channel simply becasue you MUST BE a COMCAST sustomer. The footprint is a moot point, becasue if you live in Philly, but have the dish or other cable provide you can't get the games.

I can't judge the CAA TV contract, but to sell CN8 games as regional coverage is misleading.

UncleSam
July 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM

What's your problem dude,

http://www.badgeplanet.co.uk/badges_large/screw-u-1.jpg

:p

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
CSN is a regional network, but CN8 is a LOCAL channel simply becasue you MUST BE a COMCAST sustomer. The footprint is a moot point, becasue if you live in Philly, but have the dish or other cable provide you can't get the games.

I can't judge the CAA TV contract, but to sell CN8 games as regional coverage is misleading.

Not true at all. All games broadcast on CN8 will be available on the web. I suppose if you don't have a radio, television or internet connection you're really out of luck.xrolleyesx

Jesus. The CAA goes out and gets the best TV deal ever in the history of I-AA/FCS and some people still complain. Friggin' amazing.

FTR, Comcast Sportsnet is NOT available to every regional cable provider. It is available to most. Depends on the cable provider.

andy7171
July 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
First, for the record I am not supporting or defending MJ. His sour grapes routine is getting old.

However, there a 3 types of TV coverage.

National - this is obvious - ESPN, ESPN2, and national networks. Games must be available to viewers on a nationwide basis.

Regional - This is your Regional Fox Sports Net, Comcast Sports NET (CSN), etc. or other broadly available channels accessesble by ANY local cable or national satelite provider.

Local - This is your local network affiliates or independent channels. And this includes any cable ONLY network that is available in a limited geographic are or only offered by a specific cable provider.

CSTV is a national network, but without the number of viewer than ESPN. CSN is a regional network, but CN8 is a LOCAL channel simply becasue you MUST BE a COMCAST sustomer. The footprint is a moot point, becasue if you live in Philly, but have the dish or other cable provide you can't get the games.

I agree with you for the most part, but CN8 is not a local Philly channel. You can get it in Baltimore and DC markets if you have Comcast cable. I have DirecTV so I don't get CN8, but I do get CSN and the two MASNs. I was hoping MASN would get the CAA football deal, so I could see more games, but when CSN got the CAA basketball, I knew the writing was on the wall.

I understand where MJ if coming from, but I don't think he is taking into account that it would cost Comcast money to send the broadcast team up to Maine. I think production and travel costs were taken into account, with the bulk of the games being within the Philly-DC corridor. Just my 2 cents.

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM
...CN8 is not a local Philly channel. You can get it in Baltimore and DC markets if you have Comcast cable...

Aside from Balt/DC & Philly, CN8 is also available on Comcast cable in Brookline, Durham, Amherst, Newark, and Richmond. Hempstead, Orono, Kingston, and the two VA 'Burgs seem to be the only towns where the CN8 feed is not available. Wonder if the local Comcast affiliates in those areas (if any) will pick up the CN8 broadcasts on their local sports syndicates?

The CN8 deal is a far better one reaching millions more subscribers than the deal that MSN was offering. MSN is truely a more regional network. Given the nature of and relative interest in FCS football, our conferences aren't going to ever realize a deal with a major network or ESPN. It just isn't going to happen. If you think there's a better deal out there, you're dreaming. UMass & UNH probably aren't hating the FB coverage they'll be getting from the CAA this season. I'm sure the America East could do them one better.xlolx

andy7171
July 26th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Aside from Balt/DC & Philly, CN8 is also available on Comcast cable in Brookline, Durham, Amherst, Newark, and Richmond. Hempstead, Orono, Kingston, and the two VA 'Burgs seem to be the only towns where the CN8 feed is not available. Wonder if the local Comcast affiliates in those areas (if any) will pick up the CN8 broadcasts on their local sports syndicates?

The CN8 deal is a far better one reaching millions more subscribers than the deal that MSN was offering. MSN is truely a more regional network. Given the nature of and relative interest in FCS football, our conferences aren't going to ever realize a deal with a major network or ESPN. It just isn't going to happen. If you think there's a better deal out there, you're dreaming. UMass & UNH probably aren't hating the FB coverage they'll be getting from the CAA this season. I'm sure the America East could do them one better.xlolx
Yeah you're right, CSN is a better regional network than MASN. Its just that I was being selfish being that I have both and not CN8. SUE ME!

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM
But don't tell me that a bunch of games featuring local teams on local cable outlets (Comcast, CN8) is a big deal. If it were ESPN, CSTV, or Fox Sports......I might feel differently. And please don't tell me that there is more interest this coming season in Villanova and Towson then in 2006 National Runner-Up UMass and UNH with Ricky Santos.
ESPN, Fox Sports?? C'mon. That's like saying a BMW is not better than a Chevy because it's not a Ferrari. This TV deal is a BIG step up from where we were in previous years. NOBODY in I-AA is going to get an ESPN or Fox Sports deal.

As for the interest.. you answered that yourself. Average Joe in Baltimore IS going to have more interest in a Towson game than a UNH game. It's a LOCAL thing.

aceinthehole
July 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Again, let me be clear I am not saying the CAA deal isn't a good one, nor am I taking sides with MJ, but here's how I look at it.

CN8 is a TV channel that is limited to COMCAST CABLE SUBSCRIBERS in a specific market(s). Yes, the market is large and there are a lot of subsribers, but it has limited access becasue if you're a satelite customer or have another cable operator in that market, you're not able to watch the game.

CSN is a regional sports network that is carried by multiple cable provides in a regional market, as well carried by satelite providers nationwide. This channel may be part of a premium or sports package, but it is available without regard to a specific provider. IMO this is a wider distribution.

Yes, CN8 is available on the internet, but that is not the same quality as TV, period. If my team is playing, I'm certainly watching, but let's not compare it as an equal to TV coverage. Same thing for ESPN 360 - its internet, not TV. So its increase exposure, but again, don't see it as a "TV package"

Now I don't have the nuber of households reached by each channel, and I can be corrected, but that's how I look at CN8.
---

So if you can't tell my bias comes from being a Washington, DC DirecTV customer. I'm in this Mid-Atlantic market, but I won't get to watch CN8. However I will have CSTV, CSN, MASN, Fox Sports NET, ESPN family, etc...

All I'm saying is that a channel only available to a single cable provider (no matter how large that market is) is not as good as a truly regional network available to households REGARDLESS of provider.

At one time some NEC footbal and hoops games were on "Metro-TV" a cable only channel provided by Cablevsion, the largest cable company and market in the country (NY-NJ-CT). I still considered that a local channel becasue it wasn't available to anyone but Cablevision subscribers (even thogh there were millions).

On the same note CCSU home basketball games are carried by "Cox 3" a Cox cable provided channel to subscribers in RI and CT. I wouldn't call that regional either, its a local channel.

Again, this is just my opinion, but congrats to CAA fans on the TV coverage becasue its certainly better that the 2 NEC games that will be on TV :(

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
but to sell CN8 games as regional coverage is misleading....

Now I don't have the nuber of households reached by each channel, and I can be corrected, but that's how I look at CN8.

As others have pointed out, CN8 is available to Comcast subscribers from Richmond through Maine. That is absolutely regional.

"we've grown to over 9 million households in 12 states and the District of Columbia"

http://www.cn8.tv/

mainejeff
July 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM

As is your pining for CCSU to gain admittance to America East........

xcoffeex

mainejeff
July 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
What's your problem dude,

http://www.badgeplanet.co.uk/badges_large/screw-u-1.jpg

:p

Problem? When someone is brilliant enough to figure out that Philadelphia is more interested in Villanova football than Maine, URI, or Northeastern......I just have to bow down to the brilliance of that analysis.

andy7171
July 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM
As is your pining for CCSU to gain admittance to America East........

xcoffeex
xeekx OH SNAP! xeekx

mainejeff
July 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Not true at all. All games broadcast on CN8 will be available on the web. I suppose if you don't have a radio, television or internet connection you're really out of luck.xrolleyesx

Jesus. The CAA goes out and gets the best TV deal ever in the history of I-AA/FCS and some people still complain. Friggin' amazing.

FTR, Comcast Sportsnet is NOT available to every regional cable provider. It is available to most. Depends on the cable provider.

Maine football has been available on the web via WABI-TV for a couple of years........does that mean it is "national coverage"?

The only thing that the CAA did was further develop their relationship with Comcast which it seems is readily available in a good portion of the Mid-Atlantic.

mainejeff
July 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I understand where MJ if coming from, but I don't think he is taking into account that it would cost Comcast money to send the broadcast team up to Maine. I think production and travel costs were taken into account, with the bulk of the games being within the Philly-DC corridor. Just my 2 cents.

They'll use WABI-TV's production equipment/facilities. How much money does it cost to send a couple of broadcasters to Maine? xconfusedx

andy7171
July 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM
They'll use WABI-TV's production equipment/facilities. How much money does it cost to send a couple of broadcasters to Maine? xconfusedx
Well I didn't know that. I was figuring they had to send up the tv cameras and filming crew too. I wasn't a Mass Comm major, I don't know how things are done. xrolleyesx

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
FTR, CN8 is indeed sending its own broadcast team & mobile broadcast equipment up to Orono this season; they're just not doing it more than that during the regular season.

UncleSam
July 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Problem? When someone is brilliant enough to figure out that Philadelphia is more interested in Villanova football than Maine, URI, or Northeastern......I just have to bow down to the brilliance of that analysis.

Ever heard of context??? I was responding to your goofy complaint that the new CAA TV deal was no better than the old A10 coverage.

Originally Posted by mainejeff
Gotta love 6 appearances for Southern doormat Villanova.

Originally Posted by UncleSam

Originally Posted by mainejeff
No......who cares about Villanova football?

Originally Posted by UncleSam

xcoffeex

aceinthehole
July 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
As others have pointed out, CN8 is available to Comcast subscribers from Richmond through Maine. That is absolutely regional.

"we've grown to over 9 million households in 12 states and the District of Columbia"

http://www.cn8.tv/

OK, but isn't CSN available to those 9 million, plus some other cable subscribers, and all satelite customers?

Again, I'm not saying CN8 isn't good coverage, but isn't CSN better coverage?

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Not at all. CSN coverage is based on region (Mid-Atlantic, Philly, Chicago, CSN-West, CSN-Northwest, Sportsnet NY, etc.) I'd rather have a deal with a broader regional network like CN8 (NH-VA) as opposed to one of the regional CSN affiliates.

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The only thing that the CAA did was further develop their relationship with Comcast which it seems is readily available in a good portion of the Mid-Atlantic.
If you consider Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey to be part of the Mid-Atlantic.

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Not AFAIK. I think there is only 1 CN8, there are three (?) CSN's. I don't get Philly sports here in DC (maybe you do with the dish), I only get DC and Baltimore coverage on CSN. There are some national shows (Best Damn) that are probably on all, but I doubt if Nova/Hofstra were on CSN you and I would get it here in DC.

The one funny thing about the CSN I do get here is that most of the games I get are either Big XII or Pac10. xconfusedx xeyebrowx xconfusedx

aceinthehole
July 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Not AFAIK. I think there is only 1 CN8, there are three (?) CSN's. I don't get Philly sports here in DC (maybe you do with the dish), I only get DC and Baltimore coverage on CSN. There are some national shows (Best Damn) that are probably on all, but I doubt if Nova/Hofstra were on CSN you and I would get it here in DC.

The one funny thing about the CSN I do get here is that most of the games I get are either Big XII or Pac10. xconfusedx xeyebrowx xconfusedx

Hey, again good for you guys, I'm not trying to bring you all down. Only pro sports (and ESPN regional) games are blacked out for non-markets, but I've seen A-10 football on CSN on the dish. Good stuff xthumbsupx

I'm just not a big fan of any channel that is only available throgh a single cable provider. I'm a huge DirecTV fan! In D.C. I get CSN-Mid-Atlantic, CSN-Chicago, and CSN-West. And of course all the ESPN and Fox Sports Net stations, MSG, YES, NESN, SNY, etc.

IMO - any channel on the DTV Sports Pack is just like NATIONAL coverage! :) I even get channels I never knew existed like Altitute. This is your best bet if you want to follow I-AA football and mid-major hoops action.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100069

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
IMO - any channel on the DTV Sports Pack is just like NATIONAL coverage! :) I even get channels I never knew existed like Altitute. This is your best bet if you want to follow I-AA football and mid-major hoops action.
Unless you want to follow CAA Football. :p :D

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'm just not a big fan of any channel that is only available throgh a single cable provider. I'm a huge DirecTV fan! In D.C. I get CSN-Mid-Atlantic, CSN-Chicago, and CSN-West. And of course all the ESPN and Fox Sports Net stations, MSG, YES, NESN, SNY, etc
Understood, but if you don't have dish, you don't have those other CSN's... so CN8 is unavailable if you have dish, and CSN-Chigaco and West (neither of which would show CAA football anyway) are unavailable if you have Comcast. NEITHER is all inclusive and considering the sheer number of subscribers Comcast does have IN the market where CAA football would be popular, IMO that makes CN8 better coverage than CSN. That was the original question.

bluehenbillk
July 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Speaking as a Philly-area guy, Villanova goes unnoticed in Philly during football season. Philly is not a college football town - more fans follow Penn St & Notre Dame.

Second, to the posters from Maine, but a map. Saying Villanova is in Philadelphia is like saying the Univ of Maine is in Bangor.

GannonFan
July 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM
CSN-Philadelphia is not available to most other outlets, at least not DirectTV. You can get the other CSN's (Mid-Atlantic, New England, etc) but not the Philly one. If you have FIOS you can get it, and I'm sure a few other outlets as well, but it's not that much better than CN8 in terms of coverage, and there is no internet streaming.

henfan
July 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
NEITHER is all inclusive and considering the sheer number of subscribers Comcast does have IN the market where CAA football would be popular, IMO that makes CN8 better coverage than CSN. That was the original question.

And that's exactly the reason why this was such a terrific coup for the CAA. Dish subscribers represent a very small number of audience in the East, compared with cable subscribers (even compared with Comcast subscribers.) It's a 'more bang for your buck' solution.

There just aren't any other regional providers with a broader reach within the CAA's footprint who were interested and capable of delivering the same package. CSN-Mid Atlantic & Philly aren't seen in as wide an area as CN8, nor doesn CSN produce very many of their own college FB games. They typically syndicate.

No, CN8 isn't going to reach everyone within the CAA's footprint. Outside of a national network like NBC or ESPN, no network would. It's by far the best the CAA could have hoped for.

For New England areas, I wonder if FSN-NE, which is now owned by Comcast, will syndicate CN8 FB games to regions where the teams play.

WrenFGun
July 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'll have to disagree with MaineJeff and say that I'm very satisfied with the coverage being offered for UNH. Ultimately, you'll have to understand it's upsetting not to be able to watch a good deal of road games for UMaine. UNH was very fortunate and had 2 of their 3 Virginia games covered (Richmond and JMU), meaning that the road games are Hofstra, UMass and Marshall that are uncovered. I'm feeling confident now that I can see every game this season.

Last season, I had to listen to three games (URI, Northeastern and Northwestern) on the radio without TV coverage. This is a huge, huge upgrade. UNH didn't even have round one in Hampton covered last year, so I'm pretty excited.

This is a huge step in the right direction, though obviously, flawed. However, if Maine plays like UMass and UNH have the last two seasons, they'll be getting more coverage, too.

bostonspider
July 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
For New England areas, I wonder if FSN-NE, which is now owned by Comcast, will syndicate CN8 FB games to regions where the teams play.

Considering I get CN8 here in Boston, I don't think Comcast will put the games on FSN-NE in general.

mainejeff
July 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Speaking as a Philly-area guy, Villanova goes unnoticed in Philly during football season. Philly is not a college football town - more fans follow Penn St & Notre Dame.

Second, to the posters from Maine, but a map. Saying Villanova is in Philadelphia is like saying the Univ of Maine is in Bangor.

To the posters from Maine???.....LOL.

I'm not the one that started the foolish conversation with the brainiac statement......."Villanova football has more followers in Philly than Maine does".......duh!

I find it pretty funny that it's mostly Blue Hen fans that are trumpeting this deal.....and they happen to have the most games televised and are smack dab in the middle of Comcast land.......xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

xcoffeex

bluehenbillk
July 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
True, but I'm a guy in Comcast land that doesn't have Comcast. I get CSN but not CN8.

JMUFortier
July 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I like this package, a lot of positives for us at JMU, who would only have maybe one to two games per year on TV (that is locally). It was hard to follow the games unless you were next to a solid radio in a city in Virginia or an internet connection.

As for Maine (mainejeff), they have had great coverage with WABI (which on cable systems covers the northern half of state) broadcasting four games. Add the A-10 TV and they had five games locally in 2006. Granted, they could work the Portland TV market a little better but they have a decent portion of the state covered for now (essentially, one of the two "big" markets in Maine, with Presque Isle being covered by the cable).

Would the CW or MyTV station up in Portland want to broadcast the games? It would beat those "Movie of the Week" ratings they broadcast during football season.

henfan
July 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Considering I get CN8 here in Boston, I don't think Comcast will put the games on FSN-NE in general.

I wasn't referring to Boston, but those areas in NE that get FSN-NE and not CN8.

Kymermosst
July 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
UNH was very fortunate and had 2 of their 3 Virginia games covered (Richmond and JMU), meaning that the road games are Hofstra, UMass and Marshall that are uncovered.

UNH @ UMass - CN8 - Noon

Don't get me wrong, we still want you to come to Amherst. This is going to be one of the biggest CAA conference games of the year, after last year...I'd lose all faith in the CAA if it wasn't covered.

mainejeff
July 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
How come there are no CAA games on CSTV this season? There were 4 or 5 games on CSTV last year.

henfan
July 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
How come there are no CAA games on CSTV this season? There were 4 or 5 games on CSTV last year.

Don't know. Speculating here but perhaps it has something to do with CSTV's ever diminishing coverage of the FCS. xmadx

mainejeff
July 27th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Don't know. Speculating here but perhaps it has something to do with CSTV's ever diminishing coverage of the FCS. xmadx

Probably. I think that we all knew it was the beginning of the end when Viacom (CBS) bought them. xmadx

I still say that a Thursday or Friday night FCS Game of the Week would have been an excellent schedule filler for them. Probably would have attracted a decent audience too. Their Friday Night college hockey games have developed a good audience I believe.

89Hen
July 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Who offers CSTV? I don't think I can get it even if I pay for it.

GeeWiz
July 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Last season, I had to listen to three games (URI, Northeastern and Northwestern) on the radio without TV coverage.

You could have watched the NU/UNH game on our website gonu.com.

Best game of the year to watch! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
July 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM

DIRECTV! xthumbsupx

henfan
July 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM

In the Philly area, you can get CSTV on Comcast Digital Cable with the sports package. I'm imagine you could do the same in your area.

Problem is that CSTV's FCS coverage is a fraction of what it used to be.xmadx

GannonFan
July 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Probably. I think that we all knew it was the beginning of the end when Viacom (CBS) bought them. xmadx

I still say that a Thursday or Friday night FCS Game of the Week would have been an excellent schedule filler for them. Probably would have attracted a decent audience too. Their Friday Night college hockey games have developed a good audience I believe.

Friday night would be a dud because of it being Friday night (bad night for TV and in the Fall high school football dominates in many areas). And a Thursday night game would bump up against ESPN's Thursday night game, which most of the time (not all the time) is a pretty decent game.

bluehenbillk
July 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Agreed, sounds like aspiring to be like the MAC.

mainejeff
July 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM

You living in a cave? I have it on DirecTV.

mainejeff
July 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Friday night would be a dud because of it being Friday night (bad night for TV and in the Fall high school football dominates in many areas). And a Thursday night game would bump up against ESPN's Thursday night game, which most of the time (not all the time) is a pretty decent game.

I disagree about Friday night. No matter when you schedule it, it's going to be up against something. Not everyone goes out on Friday night or attends Friday night h.s. football games (many of which start at 6:30 or 7 and are over by 9). Friday night games starting at 7:30 would be perfect. xthumbsupx

mainejeff
July 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Agreed, sounds like aspiring to be like the MAC.

Beggers can't be choosers. So you'd rather have no national coverage than a Friday Night Game of the Week? xconfusedx