PDA

View Full Version : FBS schools versus your team

Henny
July 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
How many current FBS teams has your school defeated in history?

UD: 15 total

Akron
Buffalo
UCONN -20 times
Kent
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Maryland
Middle Tenn.
Navy -6 times
UNLV
Louisiana Monroe
Ohio U.
Rutgers -13 times
Temple -22 times
Western KY.

poly51
July 24th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Cal Poly has defeated 9 current FBS teams:

Boise State 3 times including the year they were I-AA champions.
Fresno State 10 times including 26-0 the last time they played in San Luis Obispo.
Idaho 2 times
UNLV
Nevada 3 times
New Mexico State 3 times overall 3-0
San Diego State 9 times last in 2006
San Jose State 2 times
Texas El Paso in 2003

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Depends on what you mean. If you're talking about defeating schools that are currently FBS at any point in their history, we've beaten a bunch. If you're talking about beating them at the time they're FBS, that would be a different story.

Counting all-time wins vs schools who are now FBS, we've beaten...

Auburn
Southern Miss...3 times
Boise State (our very first game as a member of I-AA)
Central Florida...twice
UL-Monroe....25 times
Louisiana Tech...8 times
UL-Lafayette...15 times
Troy...8 times
Memphis
Arkansas State
Western Kentucky

So I guess that would be 11 total teams.

grayghost06
July 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Central Florida 1 Conneticut 4 Fla. Atlantic 1 Middle Tennessee 1 Buffalo 1 Navy 2 South Florida 1 Troy 1 UVA 1 In fairness though, we only beat UVA and NAVY while they were D IA at the time. The others became FBS after we beat them

SU DOG
July 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
By the same criteria Samford has wins over:

UAB
UCF(3)
Louisiana Monroe(2)
Louisiana Tech
Miami FL(3)
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Troy(9)
WKU(3)
Also ties with Auburn, Bama, and Tulane

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Too many to list (assuming you mean by FBS "anytime" in history, you mean any opponent who was classified historically as "Major College," Division I-A, or FBS at the time of the game).

TheValleyRaider
July 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
All-time against teams that are currently FBS, Colgate has beaten:
Akron 1 (1940)
Army 5 (1915, 36, 65, 83*, 87*)
Buffalo 8 (1948, 49, 51, 52, 60, 64, 92*, 2003*)
Connecticut 4 (1976, 82*, 83*, 84*)
Florida Atlantic 1 (2003*)
Illinois 1 (1916)
Indiana 1 (1929)
Iowa 1 (1938)
Michigan State 4 (1925, 26, 28, 29)
Penn State 4 (1930, 31, 32, 41)
Rutgers 15 (1933, 34, 35, 51, 52, 53, 54, 56, 63, 64, 65, 66, 73, 77, 78)
Syracuse 31 (1891, 93, 94, 96, 1903, 04, 06, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 16, 23, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 42, 45, 46, 48, 50)
Temple 1 (1982*)
Tulane 1 (1934)
Virginia Tech 1 (1928)

So that's 75 wins against 15 current FBS schools. If we reduce that to number of wins since Colgate joined I-AA in 1982 (those with an *), it's only 9 wins against 5 schools. If we cull it even farther, to wins since 1982 over schools that were FBS at the time (bolded), it becomes 4 wins against 3 schools.

Since going I-AA/FCS in 1982, Colgate has played 10 FBS schools 28 times for an overall record of 4-24.

Golden Eagle
July 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Current I-A teams:

Arkansas State (10-8-0)
Florida State (1-1-0)
Louisiana Tech (2-6-0)
Louisiana-Monroe (1-0-0)
Louisville (1-1-0)
Marshall (1-6-0)
Memphis (7-10-4)
Middle Tennessee (32-36-7)
Troy State (2-2-1)
Western Kentucky (23-28-1)

galojay
July 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM
NOBODY has beaten WKU as a FBS, since WKU hasn't played a single game as a FBS.

It's bogus to list that you've defeated 10-15 FBS schools when what you are REALLY saying is you have defeated a now FBS school back when they were FCS (I-AA).

I'd like for those that posted already reexamine their list and tell us how many FBS schools they defeated that were FBS at the time they played.

Lionsrking
July 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's bogus to list that you've defeated 10-15 FBS schools when what you are REALLY saying is you have defeated a now FBS school back when they were FCS (I-AA).

The question was, "how many current FBS teams has your school defeated in history?"

You can comprehend it a couple of different ways but I believe the intent of the question was how many current FBS schools have you defeated period...regardless of their classification at the time of the win. By that standard, a lot of FCS schools can claim beating Western Kentucky since you guys are now classified as FBS.

galojay
July 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
True, but it makes it look like you are trying to boast that you've beaten these FBS schools.

No, you've beaten fellow FCS schools that have now gone to FBS.

Lionsrking
July 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
True, but it makes it look like you are trying to boast that you've beaten these FBS schools.

No, it's called answering the question that was asked. I suggest you start a new topic if it bothers you so much.

bostonspider
July 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Richmond has beaten:
UVA
VaTech
Duke
Maryland
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
West Virginia
Arkansas State
Boston College
Cincinnati
Central Florida
Ohio
Southern Miss
East Carolina
Bowling Green
Connecticut
Louisiana Monroe

So that is 18 schools... But of those 18 schools, the only ones that UR has beaten as a I-AA team and the opponent was I-A were Duke (2006), VaTech (1985) and Arkansas State (2000)

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I'd like for those that posted already reexamine their list and tell us how many FBS schools they defeated that were FBS at the time they played.

This wouldn't apply to the answer on behalf of Fordham. When Fordham beat its FBS/Division I-A/Major College opponents, those opponents were classified as such. In fact, Fordham was usually favored in those games. :)

Fordham has never played an FBS/I-A opponent while Fordham was classified as Division I-AA/FCS.

TheValleyRaider
July 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
This wouldn't apply to the answer on behalf of Fordham. When Fordham beat its FBS/Division I-A/Major College opponents, those opponents were classified as such. In fact, Fordham was usually favored in those games. :)

Ditto for Colgate xnodx (well, sometimes, as far as being "favored" goes :o )

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
UConn in 2000
Ohio U. in 2002

JALMOND
July 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
FBS teams that were FBS that Portland State beat...

Hawaii (1999)
New Mexico (2006)

Jacks76
July 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
NAU has defeated Tulsa (1987). I'm not sure who else they've beaten who was I-A at the time the Jacks played them.

Paul

AggieFinn
July 25th, 2007, 10:08 PM
That I can remember or know of.

Nevada
Pacific (then)
Stanford
Texas Christian
soon to be San Jose State

terrierbob
July 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
At least once we've beaten:

Auburn
Central Florida
Clemson
East Carolina
LA-Monroe
Marshall
South Carolina
W. Kentucky :)

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Ditto for Colgate xnodx (well, sometimes, as far as being "favored" goes :o )

I have to admire the homework that you did to answer that question on behalf of Colgate. I hope to get the Fordham media guide and answer the question in detail over the weekend.

I do know off the top of my head that Fordham has beaten the likes of Alabama, Miama FL, Purdue, Tennessee, Missouri, Oregon, Oregon State, Boston College, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Arkansas, Indiana, Buffalo, UConn, Rice, South Carolina, Rutgers, SMU, Temple, TCU & Tulane.

terrierbob
July 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=JoltinJoe;602500]I have to admire the homework that you did to answer that question on behalf of Colgate. I hope to get the Fordham media guide and answer the question in detail over the weekend.

I do know off the top of my head that Fordham has beaten the likes of Alabama, Miama FL, Purdue, Tennessee, Missouri, Oregon, Oregon State, Boston College, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Arkansas, Indiana, Buffalo, UConn, Rice, South Carolina, Rutgers, SMU, Temple, TCU & Tulane.

When did Fordham de-emphasize FB? Were their great teams in the same era with Chicago's, or later?

bulldog10jw
July 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Air Force, Army, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, Navy, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, UConn, and Wisconsin.

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 11:06 PM
When did Fordham de-emphasize FB? Were their great teams in the same era with Chicago's, or later?

It was in the same era and the de-emphasis happened at about the same time as Chicago.

Actually, the de-emphasis of football at Fordham was really a two-step process. The Rams' victory in the 1942 Sugar Bowl was perhaps a high-water mark and ironically really the end of big-time football at Fordham. After the Sugar Bowl, the Rams' legendary coach Jim Crowley resigned and joined the armed forces to support the US effort in World War II. The Sugar Bowl was played three weeks after Pearl Harbor. Many players left school to enlist. Alex Santilli, the hero of the 1942 Sugar Bowl, graduated in 1942, enrolled in the armed forces, and was one of the Fordham students/alumni to lose his life in the war.

A depleted Rams' squad struggled to a 5-3 record against its big-time schedule in 1942. Thereafter, football operations were suspended for the duration of the war.

In 1946, football returned to Fordham but on a de-emphasized basis at the insistence of the university president, Fr. Robert Gannon, who famously remarked that it was his hope that Fordham would never again field a nationally ranked football team. Fr. Gannon feared that Fordham's football prominence was threatening the school's academic reputation. He was said to be furious that everywhere he went, everyone asked him about football, and not the accomplishments of the school's faculty, students, or alumni.

Fordham football strugged in the post-war era during the late 1940s, recovered somewhat in the early 1950s, and was followed by a down year in 1954, resulting in the resignation of the coach, Ed Danowski. By 1954, there was a clamoring to restore big-time football at Fordham and the athletic department hired a young and enthusiastic coach, a former Rams' star, who vowed that he would return Fordham football to its glory days.

Two weeks later, Fr. McGinley, the recently installed new Fordham president, announced the discontinuance of football operations at Fordham, declaring that the mission of a university was inconsistent with football operations.

So the rug was pulled out from the new coach, who returned to his position as an assistant for the New York Giants. A few years later, this coach finally landed his first job as a head football coach with the Green Bay Packers.xoopsx

Needless to say, there is much speculation about where Fordham would be today in football if the school continued football in 1954 with Vince Lombardi as the coach.

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Air Force, Army, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, Navy, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Temple, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, UConn, and Wisconsin.

Obviously very jealous of your Notre Dame scalp.

Darn Irish use to duck us by Knute Rockne's own admission. Fordham coach Frank Cavanaugh challenged ND and Rockne demurred, saying that he would not play Fordham. ND was widely perceived as the top football playing Catholic school and Rockne had no desire to give Fordham a platform to challenge that supremacy.

But he did suggest to his former player, Ed Madigan, the coach at St. Mary's, that Fordham was looking for an opponent. So Rockne basically brokered the beginning of the Fordham/St. Mary's series, which became one of the biggest games in the country during the 1930s and 40s.

chattanoogamocs
July 25th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Going by the criteria given (FBS wins, even if they were FCS at the time)

Arkansas State 2
Boise State 1 (1-0)
Bowling Green 2 (2-0)
La Tech 3
Louisville 4 (4-4)
Marshall 13 (believe it or not, the Mocs are 13-6 all-time)
Memphis 5
MTSU 25 (25-11, all obviously coming before they moved to FBS)
North Texas State 3
Ole Miss 1
Southern Mississippi 3
Tennessee 2
Troy 1
Vanderbilt 1
VA Tech 1 (1-0)
WKU 8 (8-4, see MTSU)

Schools no longer playing Xavier (OH) 4-2, Tampa 4-4.

Henny
July 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Didnt mean to cause any towel waving here xpeacex

I figured either Fordham, Richmond, one of the Ivies or W&M may take it but to be clear "current FCS teams beating current FBS teams" dosen't matter if you have been a major college team before or not. Just wondering who in our sub-division has beaten teams that are NOW in the FBS.

Great to see some of the Colgate games on the list. My grandfather was a quasi athletic director and scheduled games in the 20's and 30's for them. He also helped scheduled a game against Nebraska.

At one point, I believe, Colgate was called the Maroons.

ucdtim17
July 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
That I can remember or know of.

Nevada
Pacific (then)
Stanford
Texas Christian
soon to be San Jose State

We didn't quite beat TCU last year. Historically, we've beaten the other teams you mentioned, plus Arizona, BYU, and Fresno St.

Plus numerous other teams that no longer exist but were I-A or major college at the time, like UOP

AggieFinn
July 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
We didn't quite beat TCU last year. Historically, we've beaten the other teams you mentioned, plus Arizona, BYU, and Fresno St.

Plus numerous other teams that no longer exist but were I-A or major college at the time, like UOP

I didn't think we were listing wins. Certainly did not put up much of a fight for the Horned Frogs.

ucdtim17
July 25th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I didn't think we were listing wins. Certainly did not put up much of a fight for the Horned Frogs.

cfbdatawarehouse.com is your friend

TheValleyRaider
July 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I have to admire the homework that you did to answer that question on behalf of Colgate. I hope to get the Fordham media guide and answer the question in detail over the weekend.

cfbdatawarehouse.com is what I used. Lists opponents, years, results, everything. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
July 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Great to see some of the Colgate games on the list. My grandfather was a quasi athletic director and scheduled games in the 20's and 30's for them. He also helped scheduled a game against Nebraska.

At one point, I believe, Colgate was called the Maroons.

That's awesome. In looking this up, I did see our game against Nebraska, but we lost that one. Couple of other big Midwestern names on there that we only played once or twice. Unfortunately, no Southern Cal on the list xmadx

They were once officially the Maroons, but had a variety of nicknames. Andy Kerr's teams were all Maroons, if I remember correctly. I'm not 100% certain when the name officially became Red Raiders (the 'Red' was dropped in 2000), but it was definately by the 1970s, if not much earlier. The origins of the Red Raider nickname are unclear. Some say it relates to Colgate's ability to win on the road (which they did quite a bit over the years), some because of the colors, and some supposedly because of successes we had against a certain nearby Red SUNY school ;)

Johnny5
July 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Akron 19-14-2
Ball St 0-1
Boise St. 1-0
Boston 1-0
Bowling Green 2-4
Central Florida 1-2
Central Michigan 7-5-2
Cincinnati 2-2
Florida Atlantic 1-1
Idaho 1-0
Kent St. 6-4
Marshall 4-5-1
Mississippi 1-0
Nevada 1-0
Ohio 3-4
Toledo 2-4-1
Western Kentucky 5-10
West Virginia 0-1

andy7171
July 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Towson is 4-0 against FBS schools.

...of course Buffalo and UConn were both FCS at the time.
Looking forward to Navy in '08 for our first game vs. the FBS!!!

bostonspider
July 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Akron 19-14-2
Ball St 0-1
Boise St. 1-0
Boston 1-0
Bowling Green 2-4
Central Florida 1-2
Central Michigan 7-5-2
Cincinnati 2-2
Florida Atlantic 1-1
Idaho 1-0
Kent St. 6-4
Marshall 4-5-1
Mississippi 1-0
Nevada 1-0
Ohio 3-4
Toledo 2-4-1
Western Kentucky 5-10
West Virginia 0-1

I think that Boston in this case stands for BU, not BC.... But impresive list non the less.

TheBisonator
July 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Just one so far:

Ball State

Hoping for wins over Central Michigan and Minnesota this year...

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
18 for Montana. Some of these wins were many many years ago.

Arizona
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Hawaii
Idaho
Marshall
UNLV
Nevada
New Mexico
North Texas
Nothern Illinois
Oregon State
Texas Tech
Troy State
Utah State
Washington
Washington State

DFW HOYA
July 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
As a major college team, Georgetown defeated current I-A members Boston College, Cincinnati, Duke, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Navy, North Carolina, NC State, South Carolina, Syracuse, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Wake Forest. Others (Army, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Penn State) were series where Georgetown did not win a game.

Like Fordham, Georgetown has not played a current I-A team since reviving football. (FIU was in I-AA when the teams met in 2003).

Georgetown and Fordham are very similar as football schools...that's not a slight to the Fordham folks and their more generous football budget, but they share common histories and rivals. The schools were also two of the original three teams to revive their formerly major college programs in the non-scholarship ranks in 1963-64.

BearsCountry
July 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Well if its teams we have beat as they were in FBS would just be UNLV.

Now here is all the current FBS teams we have played and record:
Akron 1-1
Arkansas 0-5
Arkansas State 1-2
Idaho 0-1
Kansas 0-2
Louisiana Tech 1-0
Memphis 1-1
Middle Tennessee 0-1
Missouri 0-1
North Texas 1-2-1
Northern Illinois 0-3
Oklahoma State 0-5
Tulsa 0-7
UNLV 1-0
Western Kentucky 2-8

ch0306
July 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yale has beaten the following FBS opponents over the years:

Air Force (in 1980)
Army (21-16-8 all time)
UConn (32-17 all time)
Georgia (5-6 all time)
Maryland (8-2-1 all time)
Michigan (2-2 all time)
Notre Dame (1-0 all time)
North Carolina (7-0 all time)
Penn State (also 7-0 all time)
Rutgers (11-2 all time)
Syracuse (11-0 all time)
Temple (1-0)
Virginia (3-2-1 all time)
Virginia Tech (2-0)
West Virginia (1-0)
Wisconsin (2-1)
Navy (5-4-1 all time)

Georgia is the only college, in any classification, that holds a winning edge on Yale in a series of at least 10 games.

RaiderInTheZone
July 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Futhermore, none of these schools have beaten Middle Tennessee as a 1-A team except for SEMO, FAU (now 1-A), and Troy (now 1-A). Those are the only three losses to 1-AA teams as a 1-A team in our eight years playing at this level. And we haven't lost to a 1-AA in four years.

RaiderInTheZone
July 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM

EXACTLY!! This entire thread is pointless because they are just listing teams they've beaten that play 1-A. So what? They've beaten teams in the distant past that have moved on and left them behind. That's all.

RaiderInTheZone
July 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM

University of the South-Sewanee in Tennessee plays Division III football now, but they turned down an early opportunity to join the SEC when it was first formed.

Sewanee's records against 1-A schools is also impressive in some cases. They've beaten every SEC school they've played at least once. These are the some of the 1-A opponents they've played and their records against those opponents:

Middle Tennessee (5-0)
Tennessee (10-12)
Alabama (10-17)
Ole Miss (8-6)
Mississippi State (1-4)
South Carolina (2-2)
Auburn (6-4)
LSU (6-3)
Florida (2-7)
Vanderbilt (8-39)
Kentucky (3-7)
Georgia (7-5)

TheValleyRaider
July 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Middle Tennessee (5-0)
Ole Miss (8-6)
Auburn (6-4)
LSU (6-3)
Georgia (7-5)

I can see why some of these schools don't play Sewanee anymore... xwhistlex

Golden Eagle
July 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
University of the South-Sewanee in Tennessee plays Division III football now, but they turned down an early opportunity to join the SEC when it was first formed.

Sewanee was a charter member of the SEC, along with Tulane and Georgia Tech. They left after eight years of futility (I believe they did not win a conference game in that span). Their glory days you reference came around the turn of the century and a few decades afterwards, as members of the SoCon and before that the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

RaiderInTheZone
July 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I can see why some of these schools don't play Sewanee anymore... xwhistlex

It's because University of the South is a Division III school. Much like the schools of the Ivy League, they put their focus on academics. They don't even offer scholarships to their athletes. I've been to their campus. It's a nice quaint campus. I remind you, this is a school that left the SEC willfully. They were not forced out. I can assure you if University of the South stayed in the SEC, then Arkansas never would've been in the picture.

TheValleyRaider
July 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
It's because University of the South is a Division III school. Much like the schools of the Ivy League, they put their focus on academics. They don't even offer scholarships to their athletes. I've been to their campus. It's a nice quaint campus. I remind you, this is a school that left the SEC willfully. They were not forced out. I can assure you if University of the South stayed in the SEC, then Arkansas never would've been in the picture.

I'm fully aware why exactly Sewanee doesn't play the SEC anymore, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to point out that they have a long and proud tradition of competition against some top schools. The fact that they don't compete at that level anymore does not diminish those past accomplishments, which occurred in a different environment than where the school sees itself in the present. I am quite proud of Colgate's past accomplishments, even if they occured before my parents were born, forget myself. Big-time College Football isn't where Colgate sees itself now, and so we've found our niche in FCS and the Patriot League, which is more in-tune with the school we are today. Rest-assured, Colgate is doing everything possible to be the very best we can in this environment.

And we still own the all-time series lead against Syracuse :D xthumbsupx

LarryBoy
July 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think I'll split this up some, for the sake of context.

Furman wins over current FBS programs that occurred before 1970:
Clemson (10-40 all-time)
Duke (2-1)
Florida (2-6)
Florida State (2-8)
Georgia (2-21)
Miami FL (1-2)
Mississippi (1-0)
Virginia (1-0)
Wake Forest (11-7)
West Virginia (1-3)

Furman wins over current FBS opponents that have occurred since 1970:
UConn.....if that really counts (2-0 all-time)
East Carolina (3-11)
Georgia Tech (2-9)
Idaho (1-0)
Marshall (15-8)
North Carolina (1-4)
NC State (8-4...we own them...)
South Carolina (20-26)
Vanderbilt (1-2)

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
1-AA UNH vs 1-A opponents:

Lost to Central Michigan (2004)
Defeated Rutgers (2005)
Defeated Northwestern (2006)

Let's hope Marshall is #3 in a row.

UNHWILDCATS05
July 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
1-AA UNH vs 1-A opponents:

Lost to Kent State (2002)
Lost to Central Michigan (2003)
Defeated Rutgers (2004)
Defeated Northwestern (2006)

Let's hope Marshall is #3 in a row.

Fixed it for ya :D

JDC325
July 31st, 2007, 11:27 AM
How many current FBS teams has your school defeated in history?

UD: 15 total

Akron
Buffalo
UCONN -20 times
Kent
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Maryland
Middle Tenn.
Navy -6 times
UNLV
Louisiana Monroe
Ohio U.
Rutgers -13 times
Temple -22 times
Western KY.

They should only count if the team was I-A/FBS at the time for context. The additional scholarships makes it a distinct difference. JMO.

grizband
July 31st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Montana wins over FBS since 1978:
Idaho x4
Oregon State x2

CID1990
July 31st, 2007, 11:09 PM

Agreed. The wins only count if they were FBS and you were FCS (Or, I-A and I-AA) when the wins occurred. Seeing Delaware put all those current FBS teams who they beat while those team were FCS (I-AA) is somewhat hokey. Marshall and Middle Tenn? PLEASE.

Here's a REAL stat for you:

Since 1988, The Citadel has beaten Navy (2), Army (2), South Carolina (1), and Arkansas (1). I may be wrong, but I challenge ANY other FCS team to claim that many wins over FBS teams since that time.

blur2005
August 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm positive JMU has more wins over FBS schools than just one but the one that comes to mind for me is JMU beating UVA in, I believe, 1981. Gary Clark, future member of the the Redskins "Fun Bunch" caught a TD and took back a punt to win the game 24-21.

poly51
August 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM

OK, Here is the revised list. Cal Poly has won 6 games against I-A/FBS opponents while they were I-A/FBS. 3 when Cal Poly was D-II and 3 since moving to I-AA/FCS in 1994.

Fresno State twice. 1978 1979
Cal State Fullerton 1978
New Mexico State 1997
U Texas El Paso 2003
San Diego State 2006

Cal Poly is 3-6 against I-A since moving to I-AA in 1994.

henfan
August 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Futhermore, none of these schools have beaten Middle Tennessee as a 1-A team except for SEMO, FAU (now 1-A), and Troy (now 1-A). Those are the only three losses to 1-AA teams as a 1-A team in our eight years playing at this level. And we haven't lost to a 1-AA in four years.

But hasn't MTSU only scheduled one I-AA team in the last 4 years- a very modest TTU program? One way not to lose to competitive FCS teams is not to play them. xthumbsupx

henfan
August 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
The wins only count if they were FBS and you were FCS (Or, I-A and I-AA) when the wins occurred. Seeing Delaware put all those current FBS teams who they beat while those team were FCS (I-AA) is somewhat hokey.

To clarify, as a lower division opponent (either College Division, D-II or I-AA), Delaware has defeated the following higher division teams over the years:

Buffalo (1)- University Div. (*total record 1-6)
Colgate (3)- University Div. and D-I (*total record 3-0)
Navy (6)- University Div. and I-A (total record 6-7)
Rutgers (10)- University Div. and D-I (*total record 10-6)
Temple (9)- University Div., D-I and I-A (*total record 9-7)
Villanova (8)- University Div., D-I and I-A (*total record 8-9-1)

As a lower division team, UD also has played but never beaten:
Army- University Div. (0-1)
Maryland- University Div. (0-2)

UD's total record vs. higher division teams: 37-38-1.

*Total record as a lower division team; not composite record lifetime.

mrklean
August 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
We have played
Florida
Florida State
Auburn
Miami/FL
Georgia
East Carolina
ex-I-aa teams
Marshall
Central Florida
Troy State
FIU
South Florida
Nevada
MTSU
Boise State
Idaho

terrierbob
August 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
We're playing NC State . Does anyone know how strong they're supposed to be this year?

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
But hasn't MTSU only scheduled one I-AA team in the last 4 years- a very modest TTU program? One way not to lose to competitive FCS teams is not to play them. xthumbsupx

:D :D :D :D :D