March 29th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Chattanooga has opted out of the remainder of the Spring Season

https://twitter.com/genehenley3/status/1376595553501470726

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Chattanooga has opted out of the remainder of the Spring Season

https://twitter.com/genehenley3/status/1376595553501470726
Conklining out....

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/3/29/football-southern-conference-statement-on-chattanooga.aspx

“...it is left unable to field a sufficient number of players at several position groups to meet the conference’s COVID-19 guidelines.”

...yet able to play “5th string Players” against Mercer on Saturday. Horse manure. FUBeAR had no problem with Coach Wright’s decision to play who he wanted to play on Saturday, but this is BS. Just take the L’s and forfeit if you don’t want to play vs. claiming this Covid-caused crap. Now, we’ll see multiple posts and articles justifying this BS with lists of impacted position groups.

FUBeAR fully expects a similar announcement from the Teary-ers, possibly from the Cantamounts, and, though it would be surprising (and maybe even justified in their case), from the bellhops.

Milktruck74
March 29th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Conklining out....

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/3/29/football-southern-conference-statement-on-chattanooga.aspx

“...it is left unable to field a sufficient number of players at several position groups to meet the conference’s COVID-19 guidelines.”

...yet able to play “5th string Players” against Mercer on Saturday.

Give your Bears a little credit....they were 4th stringers. If they were 5th string, the bears probably would have won by 10.

The Cats
March 29th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Conklining out....

...yet able to play “5th string Players” against Mercer on Saturday.

At least Mercer got a win out of it. They don't even give WCU or Samford a chance at a win. Both games should be forfeits, not "opt outs"

Smitty
March 29th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Wait does that mean the Mocs conceded? Are they giving out wins for missed games?

I only ask as it is about the only way Western can get a win at this point...

The Cats
March 29th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Conklining out....

...yet able to play “5th string Players” against Mercer on Saturday. Horse manure. FUBeAR had no problem with Coach Wright’s decision to play who he wanted to play on Saturday, but this is BS. Just take the L’s and forfeit if you don’t want to play vs. claiming this Covid-caused crap. Now, we’ll see multiple posts and articles justifying this BS with lists of impacted position groups.

FUBeAR fully expects a similar announcement from the Teary-ers, possibly from the Cantamounts, and, though it would be surprising (and maybe even justified in their case), from the bellhops.

You can't help it, you've got to work Western in on all your crap posts. This is why I think you are a horse's ass, you do crap that's just totally uncalled for.

Yeah, the Mocs deserve some crap thrown their away for "opting out", but Western is the recipient of their crap, not Mercer or Furman, you are just too much man, or you love being a jerk.

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Give your Bears a little credit....they were 4th stringers. If they were 5th string, the bears probably would have won by 10.Only re-gurgitating what has already been pre-gurgiated at us...

The TE was the 5th string guy...

...and even 5th sting guys get snaps at the outside linebacker spot.

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 02:08 PM
You can't help it, you've got to work Western in on all your crap posts. This is why I think you are a horse's ass, you do crap that's just totally uncalled for.

Yeah, the Mocs deserve some crap thrown their away for "opting out", but Western is the recipient of their crap, not Mercer or Furman, you are just too much man, or you love being a jerk.
LOL - hope I’m wrong & absolutely agree that WCU, Samford, and ETSU should get wins...

...and now that I’ve looked at the schedule, I don’t think WCU will opt out of only 1 (home) game. I think that they will, to some extent, play “chicken” with Woffy & won’t be too upset if Woffy opts out 1st...But, also, after review, I think Woffy will play probably play CIT & WCU...but I’m very doubtful they will show up in Travelers Rest on 4/17.

Milktruck74
March 29th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Aaahhhhhh, Give old FuBear a break, you'd be a jerk too if you were having to straddle that 33 inch fence with a 32 inch inseam. And look at the teams that are on either side of said fence...Hahahaha.

The Cats
March 29th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Aaahhhhhh, Give old FuBear a break, you'd be a jerk too if you were having to straddle that 33 inch fence with a 32 inch inseam. And look at the teams that are on either side of said fence...Hahahaha.

I can fight my own battles, don't need any help from the likes of you. Give it a rest, plus, I haven't seen you handle fubear very well anyway. It takes a lot to get me on fubears' side, but damn if you haven't done it.

Mocs123
March 29th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Only re-gurgitating what has already been pre-gurgiated at us...

I'll stand by what I said.

1st String - Ty Boeck - JR
2nd String - Justin Sanders - R-FR
3rd String - Tre'Von Stanford - R-FR
4th String - Bo Spearman FR
5th String - Austin Collier JR

Austin is an interesting case. He's one of our "transfers" as you tout from the mighty Bethel University where he played in 3 games at Running Back. Transferred to UTC where he walked on the team, and has been playing on the scout team at RB, DE, and OLB. He hasn't played for the Mocs even on special teams until this spring. Seems like a good kid. SoCon Honor Roll since being on the team.

We have a lot of bodies at OLB - not so much at MLB.

Mocs123
March 29th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Wait does that mean the Mocs conceded? Are they giving out wins for missed games?

I only ask as it is about the only way Western can get a win at this point...

I read it as forfeit losses when I first read it but I'm really not sure. I imagine the SoCon had a policy in place for this already since it was a likely situation during this crazy time.

I didn't see the game but the score of the ETSU game looked competitive.

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Y’know...when a bunch of UN-preferred walk-ons playing for Mercer knocked (then) #3 Chattanooga out of getting a seed / bye in the Playoffs & prevented the Mocks from winning an outright SoCon Championship in 2015, I wasn’t sure that Mercer could ever again inflict as much damage on the Chattanooga Football program, but I guess beating this year’s edition of the TrainBirdShoes into submission & forcing them to just quit for the rest of the season is more devastation than was delivered previously. Congrats Bears...you certainly have UTC’s number...

https://media.tenor.com/images/ddd4a6fc0ab907d8ba7bea8325669ac9/tenor.gif

Mocs123
March 29th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Y’know...when a bunch of UN-preferred walk-ons playing for Mercer knocked (then) #3 Chattanooga out of getting a seed / bye in the Playoffs & prevented the Mocks from winning an outright SoCon Championship in 2015, I wasn’t sure that Mercer could ever again inflict as much damage on the Chattanooga Football program, but I guess beating this year’s edition of the TrainBirdShoes into submission & forcing them to just quit for the rest of the season is more devastation than was delivered previously. Congrats Bears...you certainly have UTC’s number...

https://media.tenor.com/images/ddd4a6fc0ab907d8ba7bea8325669ac9/tenor.gif

Mercer has always played Chattanooga hard, and it always seems personal and "chippy" for the Bears. I assume that probably has something to do with the Mocs being the top team in the SoCon when they came into the league and Mercer had just restarted football with a lot of excitement and one really good season in the Pioneer league. I remember listening to that game on a drive to my daughters Gymnastics meet somewhere and the Bears made it a bad day for me - That was a good Mocs team too. I always thought John Russ was a really good football player - not a flashy guy, or one with the best stats, but just a winner. He'd do well with the type of offense the Bears are running now.

Milktruck74
March 29th, 2021, 03:33 PM
I can fight my own battles, don't need any help from the likes of you. Give it a rest, plus, I haven't seen you handle fubear very well anyway. It takes a lot to get me on fubears' side, but damn if you haven't done it.

You shouldn't be too upset...the Mocs plan has freed up a playoff slot, so all your Cats have to do is......well, nevermind!

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Picks & Full PowerRanking to follow, but here’s a preview of my new #9 Team...

https://i.giphy.com/media/BLLQzm3JCUllAnjFyC/giphy.webp

...any guesses which Team the bald guy might be representin’?

FUBeAR
March 29th, 2021, 03:43 PM
You shouldn't be too upset...the Mocs plan has freed up a playoff slot, so all your Cats have to do is......well, nevermind!
How do you fantasize that a 3-2 / 3rd place in the SoCon Team deciding to make up some BS so they can quit frees up a Playoff spot?

https://michaelthomashoward.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/delusions.jpeg
* couldn’t find an image of a titmouse seeing itself as an eagle (hope The Cats doesn’t get offended again)

Mocs123
March 29th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Picks & Full PowerRanking to follow, but here’s a preview of my new #9 Team...

https://i.giphy.com/media/BLLQzm3JCUllAnjFyC/giphy.webp

...any guesses which Team the bald guy might be representin’?

I'm not sure what to do with the Mocs in my power ranking this week but putting them 9th is one way of approaching it. I'm sure you really don't think the Mocs are the worst team in the SoCon but since they are the only team no longer playing games I think you could make an argument for that position.

walliver
March 29th, 2021, 03:55 PM
At this point, everybody in the SoCon, except VMI, is planning to place an asterisk for the Spring 2020+1 Season.

This week, Chattanooga doesn't go to the 'Whee but the Catamounts still find a way to lose.

The Citadel at Wofford. The bullpups have had a horrible 2020-1 season but will come ready to play. It will be a strong test for the Terrier's depleted and very young defensive front. The Citadel will score points, the difference will be if the Wofford offense shows up for the third quarter. Terriers win 35-31 - but nothing surprises me at this point.

ETSU at VMI - The Keydets just seem to find a way to win this year. As much as I would lean towards an ETSU win, VMI finds a way to pull it out 28-24

Furman at Mercer - Furman still has an outside chance for the playoffs, even though that requires VMI losing all three remaining games. The paladins will likely still play their first string and win 31-17.

As for finishing the season, VMI obviously is not going to quit.
Wofford has the only two games many fans care about yet to play and will finish the season (skipping the ETSU game did not go well with prominent alumni). Also, the team seems poorly organized at many times this spring and needs to work on penalties.
Citadel will persevere with the hope of not having a winless season.
ETSU has a shot at the playoffs and will likely stick it out.
Furman would likely still want to play The Citadel, and would probably finish the season with the Wofford game.
Mercer still would like to get the Cronic system installed.
As for Sammy and WCU, it is late enough in the season that there is no reason not to finish.

paward
March 29th, 2021, 09:42 PM
WC
Wofford (The Citadel done seen all the love they gonna get from me)
VMI (Good to see you all winning)
Mercer (See VMI note, same go for you guys)

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 07:02 AM
The Citadel 17
Wofford 28

ETSU 21
VMI 31

Furman 35
Mercer 20

1.VMI
2. Furman
3. ESTU
4. Samford
5. Mercer
6. Wofford
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel

I couldn't figure out what to do with Chattanooga in the PowerPoll so I thought the best action was to just remove them all together at this point.

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 07:14 AM
1.VMI
2. Furman
3. ESTU
4. Samford
5. Mercer
6. Wofford
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel

I couldn't figure out what to do with Chattanooga in the PowerPoll so I thought the best action was to just remove them all together at this point.
Has Chattanooga dropped their Football program?
Has Chattanooga withdrawn from the Southern Conference?

If neither of those questions can be answered with a “Yes,” then Chattanooga should appear in anyone’s/everyone’s SoCon PowerRankings. They should be ranked wherever one feels a Team that is the only SoCon Team that has QUIT should be ranked.

FUBeAR will be certain NOT to remove the Mocks from his rankings.
Just as the Mocks earned the big, fat L that Mercer hung on them last Saturday, QUITTING the season will EARN the Chattanooga Football Team the ranking, from FUBeAR, that they deserve among the 9 SoCon Teams; 8 of which have not (yet) QUIT an official NCAA Division I FCS Football Season.

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 08:00 AM
That is certainly your right to be able to rank the Mocs last. Coach Wright decided that playing 20 games in a calendar year was not in the best interest of his players or the program despite the fact that continuing to play the first team and potentially win the SoCon and get to the playoffs would benefit him personally, both in accolades and financially (bonus). Whether that was the right decision or the wrong decision I don't know, but I do know that HE felt like it was the right decision.

As for the lost games I really hate that both for Moc fans and the players and fans of other SoCon teams. I was actually going to be able to watch the game this Saturday on the big screen rather than my phone like the last few games.

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 08:28 AM
That is certainly your right to be able to rank the Mocs last. Coach Wright decided that playing 20 games in a calendar year was not in the best interest of his players or the program despite the fact that continuing to play the first team and potentially win the SoCon and get to the playoffs would benefit him personally, both in accolades and financially (bonus). Whether that was the right decision or the wrong decision I don't know, but I do know that HE felt like it was the right decision.

As for the lost games I really hate that both for Moc fans and the players and fans of other SoCon teams. I was actually going to be able to watch the game this Saturday on the big screen rather than my phone like the last few games.
How, exactly, does Chattanooga’s situation differ from every other Team in the SoCon that has made the decision NOT to QUIT?

“It doesn’t” is the correct answer to FUBeAR’s rhetorical question.

So, I think we all understand (with extreme clarity provided by the many articles & social media posts explaining their non-unique excuses in great detail) that Chattanooga & Coach Wright feel that CHOOSING to QUIT is the decision they want to make for their Football Team. They also chose to play the Players they wanted to play in the game vs. Mercer. Perhaps, the L that Mercer put on the Mocks was partially related to those Player / playing time decisions.

The decision to QUIT on the rest of the official NCAA Division I FCS regular season, made by Chattanooga & Coach Wright, is theirs to make. The SoCon has chosen to enable QUITTING by allowing these 3 scheduled games (4 if you count VMI, which should be counted) to be called “no-contests,” thus removing the L’s the Mocks should be taking from their Official Records.

FUBeAR, and I would imagine others, can also choose, in our own small ways, not to enable QUITTERS and to call QUITTING what it is & always has been...before Covid replaced our homework-eating dogs as the universal excuse wildcard.

The Cats
March 30th, 2021, 08:42 AM
my picks are in bold

The Citadel at Wofford
ETSU at VMI
Furman at Mercer

The big loser: Chattanooga - quitters

Power ranking....

1. VMI ( 5-0 SoCon, 5-0)
Next: ETSU

2. ETSU (3-1 SoCon, 3-1)
Next: at VMI

3. Furman (3-2 SoCon, 3-2)
Next: at Mercer

4. Samford (3-3 SoCon, 3-3)
Next: Bye

5. Mercer (3-2 SoCon, 3-5)
Next: Furman

6. Wofford (1-3 SoCon, 1-3)
Next: The Citadel

7. Western Carolina (1-5 SoCon, 1-8)
Next: Chattanooga "opted out" of the game

8. The Citadel (0-5 SoCon, 0-9)
Next: at Wofford

9. Chattanooga - opted out
Next: quit the season

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 08:51 AM
I'm sure there are some other coaches in the SoCon that aren't in favor of playing the full spring season and fall season in the same year. I also think there are other coaches and teams in the SoCon (and other conferences in the country) that aren't giving it 100% this spring season. I think there are other coaches that would like to do what Rusty did but don't have the balls to do it.

In the SoCon -my feeling is that VMI is going all out this spring. They don't have a graduate school and are losing Udinski (and I'm sure some other starters too) after this spring. I get the feeling that ETSU is going all out this spring too - my gut is that must be because Randy Sanders feels like he needs a great year after 2019's debacle and thinks this is his best shot. I think Mercer is playing everyone too just trying to get the new offense and everything installed. I thought Wofford would go all out but I'm not sure they did for whatever reason.

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 09:44 AM
I'm sure there are some other coaches in the SoCon that aren't in favor of playing the full spring season and fall season in the same year.

I also think there are other coaches and teams in the SoCon (and other conferences in the country) that aren't giving it 100% this spring season. I think there are other coaches that would like to do what Rusty did but don't have the balls to do it.

Of course you are “sure” other SoCon Coaches aren’t in favor of this situation. No one in the world is “in favor” of it. Everyone would prefer things were normal. 8 Teams have chosen to adapt. 1 team has chosen to QUIT.

“Thinking” other Teams aren’t “giving it 100%” and “thinking” other Coaches “would like to” QUIT, as Coach Wright & Chattanooga have done, is just part of a narrative seeking to normalize QUITTING. Pretty much akin to the adolescent “everyone else is doing it” excuse...but weaker...because no one else in the SoCon has done it.

Only 1 Team in the SoCon has QUIT this season and only 1 Team has acknowledged/admitted to not going 100%.

JUST OWN IT.

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 10:10 AM
As a fan, I want to see them play. I love watching the Mocs play (which I guess is what makes us fans in the first place), Heck as a fan - I say let's play 20 games in a year, but that's easy for me to say as I'm not the one taking the beating and wear and tear of the games, practices, etc. I was not a collegiate athlete but I know a few who were and it a lot of wear and tear on your bodies and it's a challenge between all of the requirements of being a D1 athlete and full time student, particularly in the spring when a football player generally takes their larger class load. Rusty did what he felt like was best for his players and while I may not like it as a fan, I respect him for doing what he thought was the best thing for his players and for the long term success of the program even if it wasn't the popular decision.

While the spring FCS season seemed like a good idea to me when it was proposed, it's turned into a huge mistake. The FCS should have just played in the fall even if it was an abbreviated season like conference only like the P5 did. That would have given the regular spring to develop kids and give greater time for bodies to heal between seasons.

We've seen 3 FCS programs opt out in the past week, and my guess is there will be more.

But yes, the Mocs have chosen to QUIT the Spring Season for the well being of our players and program. Obviously you don't agree with the decision, and that's OK, I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't, but none of them know exactly the situation as well as Rusty does. Is it the right or wrong decision? To be honest, I'm not sure but it's the decision that we made.

bigred
March 30th, 2021, 10:24 AM
As a fan, I want to see them play. I love watching the Mocs play (which I guess is what makes us fans in the first place), Heck as a fan - I say let's play 20 games in a year, but that's easy for me to say as I'm not the one taking the beating and wear and tear of the games, practices, etc. I was not a collegiate athlete but I know a few who were and it a lot of wear and tear on your bodies and it's a challenge between all of the requirements of being a D1 athlete and full time student, particularly in the spring when a football player generally takes their larger class load. Rusty did what he felt like was best for his players and while I may not like it as a fan, I respect him for doing what he thought was the best thing for his players and for the long term success of the program even if it wasn't the popular decision.

While the spring FCS season seemed like a good idea to me when it was proposed, it's turned into a huge mistake. The FCS should have just played in the fall even if it was an abbreviated season like conference only like the P5 did. That would have given the regular spring to develop kids and give greater time for bodies to heal between seasons.

We've seen 3 FCS programs opt out in the past week, and my guess is there will be more.

But yes, the Mocs have chosen to QUIT the Spring Season for the well being of our players and program. Obviously you don't agree with the decision, and that's OK, I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't, but none of them know exactly the situation as well as Rusty does. Is it the right or wrong decision? To be honest, I'm not sure but it's the decision that we made.

"...the well being of our players and program." Quitting is forever. Justify it however you want...but it is a bad look regardless. Should be considered losses IMO.

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Obviously you don't agree with the decisionI neither agree nor disagree with the decision. I am not the Head Coach or an Athletic Administrator of/at Chattanooga. On the other hand, I don’t like the decision at all, not one little bit.

I was surprised, but I do respect Coach Wright for doing as he said he was going to do with regard to not playing most upperclass veterans after the Miskelley injury / “wake-up call.”

Choosing to play many less experienced Players last Saturday only impacted Chattanooga Football & Chattanooga Fans...and possibly benefited Mercer. You will not find 1 criticism from me about that decision. Only commentary regarding “owning” the L without trying to put an asterisk beside it.

I believe Coach Wright & Chattanooga believe QUITTING is the best decision for their Football program

BUT...Choosing to QUIT the Season has far greater negative impact on other Teams, Coaches, Players, Families of Players, Fans, and on the SoCon. 2 very different situations. Nope - don’t like it at all.

I also don’t ‘buy’ the Covid opt-out excuse for a skinny minute. No reasonable, objective person who has been following this situation closely does buy that. That’s not to say that all the i’s weren’t dotted & t’s weren’t crossed to effectively manipulate the system. Most likely they have been.

That’s all. Though, I will still be ranking appropriately and occasionally (hopefully, (bitingly) humorously) criticizing Chatt for QUITTING, I’ve said all I want to say about it.

We should spend more time focusing on the programs that are not QUITTERS.

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 11:11 AM
I also don’t ‘buy’ the Covid opt-out excuse for a skinny minute. No reasonable, objective person who has been following this situation closely does buy that.

I don't know all the details, but would tend to agree with you except the whole reason we are playing football in the spring with so little time between seasons is COVID, so in that respect it is COVID related.

Reign of Terrier
March 30th, 2021, 12:58 PM
In other dumpster-fire related news, Wofford's two starting receivers just entered the transfer portal.

I'm officially in the camp suspecting something's up in Sparkle City.

I won't say "fire conklin" because I would never advocate someone's employment be terminated, however, I will say "hire Conklin" since I have a hard time thinking his lack of commitment to the program (as evident by his frequent public-knowledge job interviews with other programs) elicits confidence in players. So someone else hire him, so we can get someone who wants to be here. He's a good x's and o's coach, but he's not a good leader IMO.

Reign of Terrier
March 30th, 2021, 01:00 PM
But yeah, we're going to be mediocre now until either Conklin leaves or decides to buy into the program. Which is ironic because if we start sucking he'll have a hard time landing a better job. But I have a hard time thinking players will want to play for a guy who wants to leave ASAP. Chicken, egg, etc.

ElCid
March 30th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Well, although we are playing, it really has turned into a scrimmage season. I think that is evident from our 7, yup, 7 turnovers this past week. But with a new center and QB playing this past week, I guess that wasn't totally a surprise.

I said it two months ago. A lot of teams were going to treat this spring fling as a super beefed up spring camp and not a do or die season. Yeah some teams are doing well, and some aren't. Some are taking it very seriously, some aren't. Our fall team and spring team are basically two separate teams in regard to key players. We have a seriously young team now.
Lots of 5th year players bugged out for life reasons, some have lost family, and took time off, the list of reasons is many and specific to the individuals. And our book store issue has taken a toll as well. Although it really wasn't necessarily mischievous on the players part. But they are being conservative in their discipline. And rotating more players in to get some game time was inevitable. Minimal threat, saves on wear and tear, game experience, etc. I know a lot of folks posting on my bulldog site are screaming bloody murder, but they lack the big picture and do not realize that the win lost record for 2020/2021 spring is not that big a deal considering the circumstances.

And each team has its own very specific circumstances to deal with. I'm fairly certain that no blanket statement can be made about all teams except they are doing what they think is right for their team's long term program health. It's just magnified given the turmoil of the times.

Mocs123
March 30th, 2021, 01:46 PM
In other dumpster-fire related news, Wofford's two starting receivers just entered the transfer portal.

I'm officially in the camp suspecting something's up in Sparkle City.

I won't say "fire conklin" because I would never advocate someone's employment be terminated, however, I will say "hire Conklin" since I have a hard time thinking his lack of commitment to the program (as evident by his frequent public-knowledge job interviews with other programs) elicits confidence in players. So someone else hire him, so we can get someone who wants to be here. He's a good x's and o's coach, but he's not a good leader IMO.

Who is leaving? Luther? VanCleve?

To be honest - whoever replaced Ayers had BIG shoes to fill and I knew it would be hard. It does seem like Conklin is looking for the next job somewhere. I think he made a mistake trying to change the offense. I really thought Woffords offense was their identity and was a perfect fit for the school. Wofford is a small school with high academic admission standards and Ayers used his offense to be very competitive with athletes that perhaps weren't as dynamic as players from other schools. A well executed triple option is the great equalizer.

If Conklin were to leave, I would think going after a coach from the Paul Johnson coaching tree might be a good place to start.

walliver
March 30th, 2021, 01:47 PM
I have read that 25 Chattanooga Players wanted to opt-out before their last game, and that only agreed to play one more game, and most of those players didn't play. (It was an article in the Chattanooga paper)

I can understand coaches not wanting to play. I can see administrators not wanting to play to minimize financial losses. It is just hard to imagine football players not wanting to play football.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 30th, 2021, 02:05 PM
It has been awhile since I have partaken in the SoCon predictions thread. Honk if any of you had VMI undefeated to this point (I know I sure didn't). I never figured we had a team up and quit during the course of the season. The rankings are as follows:

1) VMI - Could wrap up the title this week
2) ETSU - One freakish third quarter away from being undefeated
3) Chattanooga - Fell from the ranks of the conference unbeatens
4) Furman - is beginning to prove that the ETSU win was a fluke
5) Mercer - is showing signs of life
6) Samford - Was able to play everyone so far
7) Wofford - Is it me or have they just flat out tanked
8) Western Carolina - Showed something last week
9) A Citadel - Was supposed to be one of the better teams, what happened

This Week's Games
A Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers find a way to pull this one out
Chattanooga @ Western Carolina (cancelled) - Was going to pick Western but that was before Chattanooga became Chattaquitta
ETSU @ VMI (Game of the Week) - ETSU has just enough defense to take this one
Furman @ Mercer - Paladins come together to win the Lamb Bowl.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 30th, 2021, 02:11 PM
I have read that 25 Chattanooga Players wanted to opt-out before their last game, and that only agreed to play one more game, and most of those players didn't play. (It was an article in the Chattanooga paper)

I can understand coaches not wanting to play. I can see administrators not wanting to play to minimize financial losses. It is just hard to imagine football players not wanting to play football.

And I am trying to figure out why? They were at the top of the league (outside of VMI) and had a puncher's chance of making the playoffs. Why did they opt out of the VMI game, were they afraid that VMI was going to woodshed them? Inquiring minds want to know.

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Furman @ Mercer - Paladins come together to win the Lamb Bowl.nice work...I like “Chattaquitta”... may riff something off of that... and you HAVE been away for a while...

FUBeAR
March 30th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Why did they opt out of the VMI game
Lack of indoor plumbing @ UTC, I read.

Seemed like status quo to me though

The Cats
March 30th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Lots of interesting new information about Chattanooga's decision to quit in this podcast....

Santos and the Sidekick Segment 1 - Chattanooga's decision to cancel the rest of their season

https://soundcloud.com/sandos-and-the-sidekick/sandos-the-sidekick-episode-221

bonarae
March 30th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Wofford
VMI
Furman

The Cats
March 30th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Guess this one bit him in the ass...

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/2659/202103/1767138_3ff925e08643a14354e5fac8f3d39ca2_t.jpeg?Ex pires=1617365719&Signature=b7OQdfa2y0k6P6wi3uMR58xAntIeKcOEaLGlmxcB ybLDARo6FMWBXVbcJqPPQ8U-VnKbwl9hNV9Xm1vIMe9~Dyd1q9-k5BWF3ECSqL8-njSz9BhZvhYKCy2OP9q-lcvxsZRj18sKr9Q2S42KFx3z2HLelv0cIL-~RMcTiBd1OSrN2gdmryFCel2tUAerNLmmOO2S6l3rwPD5G5qon Aw8Pew5j26OLtcr8SMLYoLkdrfYhoA3qi1taKq3JakuNWnfDk6 GkTTtUily3YMeEwdO5Ldb1eUj-LTuTJVlegSeMN7D8hYf81T32KYg2GbUOU8BtY9sFW~AmpQpMYT ZFFKa0g__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

Reign of Terrier
March 30th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Who is leaving? Luther? VanCleve?

To be honest - whoever replaced Ayers had BIG shoes to fill and I knew it would be hard. It does seem like Conklin is looking for the next job somewhere. I think he made a mistake trying to change the offense. I really thought Woffords offense was their identity and was a perfect fit for the school. Wofford is a small school with high academic admission standards and Ayers used his offense to be very competitive with athletes that perhaps weren't as dynamic as players from other schools. A well executed triple option is the great equalizer.

If Conklin were to leave, I would think going after a coach from the Paul Johnson coaching tree might be a good place to start.

Our offense is fine. If we're smart and actually want to reach the highest level, we won't bring the option back.

kdinva
March 30th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Changes made after winless season paved way for VMI football success | College | roanoke.com (https://roanoke.com/sports/college/changes-made-after-winless-season-paved-way-for-vmi-football-success/article_cd421324-917b-11eb-8ab3-c7455782f4bc.html)

FUBeAR
March 31st, 2021, 01:51 AM
Changes made after winless season paved way for VMI football success | College | roanoke.com (https://roanoke.com/sports/college/changes-made-after-winless-season-paved-way-for-vmi-football-success/article_cd421324-917b-11eb-8ab3-c7455782f4bc.html)
Nice - culture does defeat strategy. culture + execution defeats talent. culture + execution + (a reasonable level of) talent wins championships (sorry - “defense (alone) does (not) win championships” as is commonly expressed). That’s where VMI is today - culture + execution + a reasonable level of) talent.

the really unusual thing about VMI is combining an Air Raid O with a tough, relentless D that can stop the run and an OL that ‘remembers’ how to run block. Usually, teams playing hoops on grass first begin to exhibit deterioration in run blocking capability, which leads to red zone & short yardage struggles, and then the D becomes soft against the run because they never face it in practice. VMI has been running Air Raid for 4+ years while improving their OL (drastically) and getting tougher & more sound on D. Very odd. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain those qualities / capabilities once they’ve been through full cycles of Air Raid recruiting - usually 7 seasons...maybe 6 in VMI’s case.

All props to Coach Wachenheim, the rest of the VMI Staff & Admin...and Players, including those Alums that laid the foundation for where they are now.

Assuming VMI does finish the job & wins at least a share of the SoCon Championship, that will mean 2 of the 3 post-Appy / GaSou / E*Loan SoCon entrants after their 2013 departures have won SoCon Championships.

The one who has not is Mercer. I’m sure this is / will be an elephant femur in the craw of Mercer’s President Underwood & the Mercer Football program. Though Mercer already invests nicely in Football, relative to the SoCon mean; I would not be a bit surprised to see the Bears double-down with expanded investment in Asst. Coaching salaries, Recruiting budgets, S&C budgets / facilities, and overall Football facilities (to enhance recruiting, primarily). I also think, while I would imagine Coach Cronic signed a 5 year contract, he will have only until the 2023 season (Mercer’s 10th SoCon season) to bring a SoCon Championship (or at least a Playoff berth) to Maconga before his seat becomes very, very warm. President Underwood didn’t lead the reinstatement of Football at Mercer & entry into the SoCon to be an “also-ran.”

FUBeAR
March 31st, 2021, 06:49 AM
Chattanooga QUIT on Monday

Just checking in to see/discuss how many SoCon Teams followed the Mocks “leadership” & QUIT on Tuesday...

https://logos.flamingtext.com/Name-Logos/Zero-design-power-name.gif

Mocs123
March 31st, 2021, 07:12 AM
VMI was not a good team in 2017. Chattanooga was terrible - our worst year since 2008. with an absolutely horrible offense and even worse line. We beat the Keydets something like 63-7 and I remember watching that game on TV thinking VMI looked like a high school team. It's amazing the difference in just a couple of years and the biggest surprise to me was the Wachenheim was hired in 2014 - It took him four years to start turning it around - I give VMI credit for giving him time.

Mercer has been the most consistent program of the "new" SoCon programs. Yes ETSU won a championship, but they also have had some really bad years. Mercer will be good - the administration wants to win and is willing to dedicate the resources to make it happen - that's generally a pretty good indicator of success. There are some programs that don't seem like they care if the win or not as long as they have a halftime for the band.

Milktruck74
March 31st, 2021, 10:05 AM
And I am trying to figure out why? They were at the top of the league (outside of VMI) and had a puncher's chance of making the playoffs. Why did they opt out of the VMI game, were they afraid that VMI was going to woodshed them? Inquiring minds want to know.

The VMI game was the first game of the season. At that point nobody anticipated a VMI team to actually be good, let alone unbeaten through 6 games. So, I seriously doubt the woodshed would have been part of the decision. And as FuBear points out the Stadium Corp (UTC doesn't own the venue) had winterized the plumbing and was not willing to turn it on, but there were ways around that too. THe VMI Game was canceled because due to positive covid testing and quarentine protocols, UTC was unable to have more than 10 full practices leading up to the game.

Milktruck74
March 31st, 2021, 10:08 AM
Guess this one bit him in the ass...

https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/2659/202103/1767138_3ff925e08643a14354e5fac8f3d39ca2_t.jpeg?Ex pires=1617365719&Signature=b7OQdfa2y0k6P6wi3uMR58xAntIeKcOEaLGlmxcB ybLDARo6FMWBXVbcJqPPQ8U-VnKbwl9hNV9Xm1vIMe9~Dyd1q9-k5BWF3ECSqL8-njSz9BhZvhYKCy2OP9q-lcvxsZRj18sKr9Q2S42KFx3z2HLelv0cIL-~RMcTiBd1OSrN2gdmryFCel2tUAerNLmmOO2S6l3rwPD5G5qon Aw8Pew5j26OLtcr8SMLYoLkdrfYhoA3qi1taKq3JakuNWnfDk6 GkTTtUily3YMeEwdO5Ldb1eUj-LTuTJVlegSeMN7D8hYf81T32KYg2GbUOU8BtY9sFW~AmpQpMYT ZFFKa0g__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA

This was Fall...Y'all could have called us then. ha

kdinva
March 31st, 2021, 01:35 PM
Wofford 34; The Citadel 16

Furman 27, Mercer 21

VMI 26; ETSU 20

FUBeAR
March 31st, 2021, 10:26 PM
Picks

bellhops @ Teary-ers - war of attrition here. There is trouble, with a capital T, brewing in both these camps. Woffy lost 2 dynamic stars this week & the bellhops looked just pitiful (as FUBeAR projected) vs. Samford. I almost felt sorry for them...almost, but didn’t..never will. Both Teams run like ‘63 Ramblers with timing chain problems, but the MiniMutts find a way to win at home. PorchYappers prevail 17-7.

ETSU @ VMI - Well, the Coaches @ ETSU decided to stop only just reading FUBeAR’s posts and finally followed his advice. They all but scrapped their anemic air game & ran the ball for about 500 yards to defeat WCU. VMI’s run D is not WCU’s though. ETSU will still get yards on the ground, but they are going to lose patience and try to throw it some....which will result in punts or picks. Udinski is...was great. Morgan is good and you could see him improving with the reps he took against the Teary-ers. ETSU is favored. Keydets win 31-14.

Samford struggles with Bye more than they did the bellhops, but, after losing a 3 score lead in the 4th quarter, to everyone’s surprise, the BullPups beat Bye in OT. 55-54.

PowerRanking

1) VMI - SoCon Champions (no asterisk)
2) Furman - lost to Champions by a missed XP
3) ETSU - game squad, but not better than the 1 that beat them & the 1 that will beat them this week
4) Mercer - beat #9 Team in FCS last week (no asterisk)...probably should have them higher
5) Samford - 1 rout over a program in free-fall, as Coach S. Twain said...”that don’t impress me much”
6) Wofford - OL has improved, but as their stars are falling...so is their program
7) WCU - hanging in there. Not getting any worse...so they got that going for them
8) bellhops - 2020 - 2021 Football Season Highlight video below. Gotta respect ‘em for NOT QUITTING though. They will finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_IOj4h98E

QUITTERS only below this line

9) Mocks

FUBeAR
April 1st, 2021, 06:59 AM
Wouldn’t it be fun (and fitting) if...

1) Mercer loses to Furman 4/3 (and/or to Samford 4/17)
2) VMI loses to ETSU 4/3
3) ETSU loses to Mercer 4/10
4) VMI loses to CIT 4/17

You know what that would mean, don’t you?

All SoCon Teams would have at least 2 losses (and can’t get to .750, or, if they can, they have a H2H loss to another .750 Team) except 1 Team - the one making a choice, with the blessing of SoCon League Officials, to refuse to accept any more losses after Mercer put a big fat L on them last Saturday...

Yessir - If those games go that way...your ChattaQuitta Mocks are SoCon Champions and holders of the SoCon’s AutoBid to the FCS Playoffs.

I’m sure the benevolent SoCon League Office would start engraving the trophy (C ... h ... a ...) as soon as the clock hit 00:00 in LexVegas on 4/17. They might have to fight an entire Corps of Cadets to get it out of Foster Stadium though.

Sorry Keydets...FUBeAR really hopes this wicked scenario plays out AND forces the SoCon to grow one...maybe even a pair.

*NOTE1: If FUBeAR has ciphered these records incorrectly, I was a Liberal Arts major...please correct my math.

NOTE2: If I was Coach Wachenheim...and 1) - 3) happen ... there is no way I’m playing that game on 4/17. I know, I know...Honor, Duty...and all that...but VMI should not let Chattaquitta’s slithering (one of their 17 mascots is a snake, right?) & the SoCon’s enablement of the Mocks dishonorable decision put them in a position to cost them a Championship & Playoff berth.

ETSUfan1
April 1st, 2021, 09:26 AM
I understand there are more games to play and this could be moot, but it's my understanding that if ETSU finds a way to win out and VMI's only loss is to ETSU, that VMI would get the autobid because they played one more game. Even if ETSU beat VMI head to head, and both teams only had one loss, VMI gets the bid because they got lucky that they only had one cancelled game instead of two. How is that fair? It wasn't ETSU's choice to cancel these games. All of these cancellations should be counted as losses for the offending teams.

Maybe The Citadel will stick it to their old rivals and opt out for the final game.

The Cats
April 1st, 2021, 09:36 AM
This was Fall...Y'all could have called us then. ha

No, just pointing out the phony bravado of the Chattaquitta snakes/shoes/train/bird/mocks (just pick this month's nickname)

walliver
April 1st, 2021, 10:20 AM
I understand there are more games to play and this could be moot, but it's my understanding that if ETSU finds a way to win out and VMI's only loss is to ETSU, that VMI would get the autobid because they played one more game. Even if ETSU beat VMI head to head, and both teams only had one loss, VMI gets the bid because they got lucky that they only had one cancelled game instead of two. How is that fair? It wasn't ETSU's choice to cancel these games. All of these cancellations should be counted as losses for the offending teams.

Maybe The Citadel will stick it to their old rivals and opt out for the final game.

That is basically what happened in basketball. UNCG won the regular season by having fewer cancellations than the others.

Milktruck74
April 1st, 2021, 10:47 AM
I don't know how crow tastes, but I may get back on here on Monday to ask a few of y'all.

FUBeAR
April 1st, 2021, 12:18 PM
I don't know how crow tastes, but I may get back on here on Monday to ask a few of y'all.
Unless Chatt’s Football Team is on the field, ready to play, in Cullowhee, at 1 PM on Sat., I don’t see any reason anyone posting here would “eat crow.”

If either Team FUBeAR supports decides to manage a claimed-Covid-related opt-out within their program and not finish the season, FUBeAR will put them below the QUITTERS ONLY line with the Mocks.

Oh....and we are due for a check-in. Let’s see...ChattaQuitta “opted out” on Monday. It’s now Thursday. How many SoCon Teams have followed the Mocks “leadership” and QUIT...

Yep...Still...

https://i2.wp.com/www.mathswithmum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Zero.gif?fit=600%2C450&ssl=1

ETSUfan1
April 1st, 2021, 12:27 PM
That is basically what happened in basketball. UNCG won the regular season by having fewer cancellations than the others.

Correct, however in the end, everyone gets a shot at the SoCon tournament. Not so in football. If this scenario comes to fruition, make VMI drop the Citadel game and play ETSU again on a neutral site to determine a conference champion.

We'll probably lose to VMI or Mercer anyway, but hey its something to think about.

FUBeAR
April 3rd, 2021, 06:35 AM
FUBeAR’s FERAL FLASH...

After Mercer run-ruled CIT, 12-2, on the diamond in ChuckTown yesterday, the bellhops’ Football & Baseball Teams are a combined 0-17 in the most recent competitions, overall. They are 0-12, combined, vs. SoCon Teams in this run of futility. Dropping to D2 under consideration yet?

Teary-ers...y’all gonna make it 0-18 / 0-13 today...or nah?

melloware13
April 3rd, 2021, 01:22 PM
Forgive me if this was answered already, but does VMI clinch the AQ with a win today?

ElCid
April 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM
FUBeAR’s FERAL FLASH...

After Mercer run-ruled CIT, 12-2, on the diamond in ChuckTown yesterday, the bellhops’ Football & Baseball Teams are a combined 0-17 in the most recent competitions, overall. They are 0-12, combined, vs. SoCon Teams in this run of futility. Dropping to D2 under consideration yet?

Teary-ers...y’all gonna make it 0-18 / 0-13 today...or nah?

Oh my. What will FuBear do now with my Dogs winning. He will have to find some other entertainment.

Glad to get the monkey off our back though. Especially against Wofford. Young team, but things are firming up a bit. Lots of mistakes still, but a couple positions starting to mature the last few games. We haven't had any horrible games except Samford.

Milktruck74
April 3rd, 2021, 04:06 PM
Forgive me if this was answered already, but does VMI clinch the AQ with a win today?

not when they lose....except when they own the winning percentage....So If they beat Citadel, they will have the AQ, regardless of what the Buc do. Both with a single loss but the Keydets with a loss to the Bucs..... still Keydets.....

kdinva
April 3rd, 2021, 04:11 PM
Bucs overcame and defeated VMI 24-20, their defensive adjustments and execution in 2nd half were very good, Quay Holmes is a first team all Conf. running back. VMI with too many self inflicted wounds on offense in 2nd half: 2 QB sacks in 3rd period, a shot gun snap over the QB's head in the 4th, and our receiver lost a fumble at their 20 at the end, a clean hard hit in the midsection doomed VMI's last drive.

Milktruck74
April 3rd, 2021, 04:35 PM
Bucs overcame and defeated VMI 24-20, their defensive adjustments and execution in 2nd half were very good, Quay Holmes is a first team all Conf. running back. VMI with too many self inflicted wounds on offense in 2nd half: 2 QB sacks in 3rd period, a shot gun snap over the QB's head in the 4th, and our receiver lost a fumble at their 20 at the end, a clean hard hit in the midsection doomed VMI's last drive.

But VMI still controlls their own destiny.....beat the Bellhops and VMI holds the AQ, due to their winning percentage.

ETSUfan1
April 3rd, 2021, 04:38 PM
The Citadel should probably just throw in the towel.

Milktruck74
April 3rd, 2021, 04:45 PM

MAybe yo should wait till Monday

kdinva
April 3rd, 2021, 06:21 PM

big game in Macon next Saturday......Bears have won 3 straight.

FUBeAR
April 3rd, 2021, 06:27 PM
Oh my. What will FuBear do now with my Dogs winning. He will have to find some other entertainment.

Glad to get the monkey off our back though. Especially against Wofford. Young team, but things are firming up a bit. Lots of mistakes still, but a couple positions starting to mature the last few games. We haven't had any horrible games except Samford.
Proud of your bellhops. Good win!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 3rd, 2021, 07:45 PM

That was a great game. If Seth Morgan's the future of the franchise, then VMI's in good hands.

ETSUfan1
April 3rd, 2021, 08:39 PM

Should be a good one.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 3rd, 2021, 11:30 PM
Nice - culture does defeat strategy. culture + execution defeats talent. culture + execution + (a reasonable level of) talent wins championships (sorry - “defense (alone) does (not) win championships” as is commonly expressed). That’s where VMI is today - culture + execution + a reasonable level of) talent.

the really unusual thing about VMI is combining an Air Raid O with a tough, relentless D that can stop the run and an OL that ‘remembers’ how to run block. Usually, teams playing hoops on grass first begin to exhibit deterioration in run blocking capability, which leads to red zone & short yardage struggles, and then the D becomes soft against the run because they never face it in practice. VMI has been running Air Raid for 4+ years while improving their OL (drastically) and getting tougher & more sound on D. Very odd. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain those qualities / capabilities once they’ve been through full cycles of Air Raid recruiting - usually 7 seasons...maybe 6 in VMI’s case.

All props to Coach Wachenheim, the rest of the VMI Staff & Admin...and Players, including those Alums that laid the foundation for where they are now.

Assuming VMI does finish the job & wins at least a share of the SoCon Championship, that will mean 2 of the 3 post-Appy / GaSou / E*Loan SoCon entrants after their 2013 departures have won SoCon Championships.

The one who has not is Mercer. I’m sure this is / will be an elephant femur in the craw of Mercer’s President Underwood & the Mercer Football program. Though Mercer already invests nicely in Football, relative to the SoCon mean; I would not be a bit surprised to see the Bears double-down with expanded investment in Asst. Coaching salaries, Recruiting budgets, S&C budgets / facilities, and overall Football facilities (to enhance recruiting, primarily). I also think, while I would imagine Coach Cronic signed a 5 year contract, he will have only until the 2023 season (Mercer’s 10th SoCon season) to bring a SoCon Championship (or at least a Playoff berth) to Maconga before his seat becomes very, very warm. President Underwood didn’t lead the reinstatement of Football at Mercer & entry into the SoCon to be an “also-ran.”

Cool story, when ETSU went and hired Steve Forbes back in 2015 to run men's basketball, I thought that was a home run hire. Forbes brought a culture of winning as he was a part of Bruce Pearl's staff at Tennessee. ETSU wanted the same with football and first reached out to Randy Sanders at the start but Florida State beat them to him. After Torbush retired, ETSU reached out to Sanders again. This time, Sanders was receptive and came home (he was from Morristown). I too thought that was a home run hire as well. The rest was history as ETSU scored its first conference title in half a century or so. ETSU is now in a position to bring home another title, only Mercer stands in the way (a team ETSU beat three seasons in a row).

Speaking of Mercer, I think you got yourselves a good one in Cronic. Assuming Cronic sticks around for awhile and with VMI and ETSU being competitive, the SoCon may have a new three-headed monster comprising of the three newbies on their hands.

gofurman
April 4th, 2021, 11:31 PM

yes they have. i feared this when they hired Cronic (Furman OC to be their HC). He took Furman from bottom of conference to top of conference in offense in about one year ! They are still young to compete for the title but they are improving fast. I could see them winning the SoCon in 2022. Meanwhile, in Greenville, with Cronic gone our O has gone from top back to THE BOTTOM. We can't get 200 yds of O in a game without the Cronic

gofurman
April 4th, 2021, 11:33 PM
But VMI still controlls their own destiny.....beat the Bellhops and VMI holds the AQ, due to their winning percentage.

is this for sure? I don't know the ttie breakers with all this craziness.. Does VMI still control their own destiny?

kdinva
April 5th, 2021, 05:36 AM
is this for sure? I don't know the tie breakers with all this craziness.. Does VMI still control their own destiny?

I have heard that the SoCon will use winning .pct as the top criteria (was in the VMI-ETSU game notes, so one can presume that was from the SoCon office), just like basketball. Using that "logic", VMI's 6-1 will trump ETSU's 5-1, provided both squads win their final games. Maybe the SoCon will clear up these questions in this coming week's game notes.

VMI could have taken care of business on Saturday, but ETSU had a fine defensive game plan. Landis did good things at QB also.

Milktruck74
April 5th, 2021, 05:48 AM
In the beginning the league said spring would be decided by winning percentage. However, that was prior to covid cancelations. I have to think this is running up on a "worst case scenario" for the league. I don't think anyone would have foresaw two 1 loss teams where the AQ didn't go to the team with the head to head win.

FUBeAR
April 5th, 2021, 06:40 AM
I think we might need to think about another scenario I haven’t seen mentioned...

Mercer beats ETSU & Samford...finishes 6-2 / 0.750
ChattaQuitta finish(ed) (most likely) 3-1 / 0.750 (with an H2H loss to Mercer)
VMI loses to CIT...finishes 5-2 / 0.714
ETSU finishes 4-2 / 0.667

Who is SoCon Champs? Who gets AutoBid? Any At-Large Playoff possibilities?

Unless I’m missing something, until (and unless) ETSU beats Mercer; the Bears, Keydets, Bucs...and (possibly) even ChattaQuitta need to be “in” any conversation about the SoCon Championship & SoCon Playoff AQ.

Not sure what the right answers to the questions above are...but...Go Bears!! Go Bellhops (on 4/17...not on 4/10...of course)

BTW - ETSU is @ Mercer. Mercer is 3-0 at Home with dominating wins over CIT & WCU and a convincing win over an FU Team that beat ETSU in JC. Mercer was BAD @ Wofford in the 1st Spring Season game, but did not really play that badly @ VMI, despite the lopsided score (I know Keydets fans will disagree). The Bears had some hard-to-see small(ish) issues on O which caused that game to get out of hand. They have, apparently, since fixed these issues. Udinski also was at the top of his game that day. He did not play vs. ETSU. ETSU may be favored on Sat. (FU was favored by 10.5 last week), but to assume the game in Maconga this coming Saturday night is an AutoWin for ETSU is quite a stretch.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 5th, 2021, 01:42 PM
In other news, Wofford folded their football program up liked a pup tent.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/wofford-college-has-opted-out-of-the-rest-of-football-season-due-to-covid-19/article_83489f4e-963b-11eb-83dd-2f69d5aa9ec7.html

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 27th, 2021, 04:14 PM
It has been awhile since I have partaken in the SoCon predictions thread. Honk if any of you had VMI undefeated to this point (I know I sure didn't). I never figured we had a team up and quit during the course of the season. The rankings are as follows:

1) VMI - Could wrap up the title this week
2) ETSU - One freakish third quarter away from being undefeated
3) Chattanooga - Fell from the ranks of the conference unbeatens
4) Furman - is beginning to prove that the ETSU win was a fluke
5) Mercer - is showing signs of life
6) Samford - Was able to play everyone so far
7) Wofford - Is it me or have they just flat out tanked
8) Western Carolina - Showed something last week
9) A Citadel - Was supposed to be one of the better teams, what happened

This Week's Games
A Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers find a way to pull this one out
Chattanooga @ Western Carolina (cancelled) - Was going to pick Western but that was before Chattanooga became Chattaquitta
ETSU @ VMI (Game of the Week) - ETSU has just enough defense to take this one
Furman @ Mercer - Paladins come together to win the Lamb Bowl.

There was a discussion on the origin of the term "Chattaquitta/ChattaQuitta" came from and I did some digging. Turns out I was the first one who coined this term.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2021, 11:37 PM
There was a discussion on the origin of the term "Chattaquitta/ChattaQuitta" came from and I did some digging. Turns out I was the first one who coined this term.ahhh…it seems you are correct & I was erroneous in attributing that fine quip to The Cats. Dang, now he’ll be mad at me for unattributing him.

I must think that your apt turn of a phrase at least had to be, in part, inspired by FUBeAR referring to that team as having QUIT, being QUITTERS, or describing them QUITTING in ALL CAPS about 20 times in prior posts in this thread, but you are due all credit for coining the phrase. Perhaps, you should consider copyrighting it as I would expect to see it used on fan banners in many SoCon Stadiums this fall. Reckon’ how much it would cost to bribe the local ESPN+ Chiron operator to have it show that way on the graphics throughout a broadcast when the Mocks visit?

The Cats
August 28th, 2021, 10:54 AM
ahhh…it seems you are correct & I was erroneous in attributing that fine quip to The Cats. Dang, now he’ll be mad at me for unattributing him.

I must think that your apt turn of a phrase at least had to be, in part, inspired by FUBeAR referring to that team as having QUIT, being QUITTERS, or describing them QUITTING in ALL CAPS about 20 times in prior posts in this thread, but you are due all credit for coining the phrase. Perhaps, you should consider copyrighting it as I would expect to see it used on fan banners in many SoCon Stadiums this fall. Reckon’ how much it would cost to bribe the local ESPN+ Chiron operator to have it show that way on the graphics throughout a broadcast when the Mocks visit?

How could I ever be mad at FUBeAR?

Thank-youBlackNGoldR3v0lut10n forChattaQuitta, I love it and use it often.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2021, 11:33 AM
and this season its gonna be Chatta-BEAT-us!!!!

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Yeah, it's weird that people are still bringing this up. Literally no one outside of this website still cares or remembers

The Cats
August 28th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Yeah, it's weird that people are still bringing this up. Literally no one outside of this website still cares or remembers

Well it's that nice. But, the teams that WofFraud & ChattaQuitta quit on in the spring, still care and remember.

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Let's be real, Wofford "quitting" on Western Carolina was probably a mercy. Furman didn't care. And ETSU probably wouldn't have benefited from beating us as we were 1-4 or so.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Let's be real, Wofford "quitting" on Western Carolina was probably a mercy. Furman didn't care. And ETSU probably wouldn't have benefited from beating us as we were 1-4 or so.
Furman definitely cared. Where do you come up with this ish?

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2021, 01:57 PM
and this season its gonna be Chatta-BEAT-us!!!!gotta show UP to show out.

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Furman definitely cared. Where do you come up with this ish?

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/stats/2020/the-citadel/boxscore/7063

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2021, 04:16 PM
https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/football/stats/2020/the-citadel/boxscore/7063
You should consider watching a Football game on occasion rather than solely relying on statistics to inform your opinions.

caribbeanhen
August 28th, 2021, 04:51 PM
You should consider watching a Football game on occasion rather than solely relying on statistics to inform your opinions.

I agree 100 %

Sometimes a 1 yard carry tells you what you need to see

ElCid
August 28th, 2021, 05:49 PM

Yeah, you are probably correct.

But it is funny as hell. At least for the time being.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2021, 10:53 PM
Yeah, you are probably correct.

But it is funny as hell. At least for the time being.Everyone FUBeAR knows is on the Woffraud & ChattaQuitta train. Anyone forget Roberto Duran’s “No mas” yet? Nope… QUITTING is forever.

The Cats
August 28th, 2021, 11:42 PM

Oh, I'm very real. WofFraud had a 1-4 record coming into Cullowhee, with no road wins.

The Cats had a very good chance of winning against the ankle bitters in Cullowhee. Remember you lost to The Citadel, which the Cats beat, but I guess you forgot that?

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Oh, I'm very real. WofFraud had a 1-4 record coming into Cullowhee, with no road wins.

The Cats had a very good chance of winning against the ankle bitters in Cullowhee. Remember you lost to The Citadel, which the Cats beat, but I guess you forgot that?

Sir, we won by 50 the last time we played.

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Sir, we won by 50 before we decided to be a bunch of QUITTERS.
FIFY

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2021, 09:06 AM
I'll take it!

PaladinNation
September 4th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Let's go!
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1434141437663318017