PDA

View Full Version : Bomar - The Boy Can Play

patssle
July 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
A Bomar backer
Former OU quarterback Rhett Bomar still has supporters in Norman.

Bomar, who will be the quarterback at Division I-AA Sam Houston State this season, received a strong endorsement Monday from former teammate Malcolm Kelly.

"A lot of people make mistakes," Kelly said. "He just happened to make a mistake. That still doesn't take his talent away from him. Everybody wants to say whatever they want to say about the man, but the boy can play. He's a complete quarterback. Whatever you want he can do it. He's going to excel and make that program a whole lot better."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4992363.html

JohnStOnge
July 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4992363.html

I know you guys are excited about Bomar and you should be. But, when the guy played for OU in 2005, he finished rated 79th among I-A quarterbacks in passing efficiency. He completed 54 percent of his passes and threw as many interceptions (10) as he did touchdowns.

On one hand, he was starting for Oklahoma and that's saying something But Bomar certainly had not established himself as one of the better quarterbacks in the subdivision. In fact, I think that among BCS league starting quarterbacks, he was certainly below average in terms of performance.

Yes, he was still a BCS league starting quarterback. But he was a BCS league starting quarterback for a team that finished 71st in I-A total offense and 94th in I-A passing offense. I wouldn't get carried away until after he actually does what people apparently expect him to do in this subdivision.

patssle
July 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
very true. BUT....

he was not a good QB at the start of the 2005 season. but by the end, he was a ton better. that's what I expect this season, he might be a little rusty to start off...but hopefully by the time conference season comes around, he'll be rolling.

douglasdmb
July 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM
im sorry but what did this guy do wrong?

serious question?

NDSUFREAK
July 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I can't wait until he and SHSU comes to the FFD!!

JohnStOnge
July 24th, 2007, 07:38 PM

My understanding is that he was supposed to be working for a car dealerhip but was getting paid for work he was not doing. One of those things where a booster gets out of control.

JohnStOnge
July 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
very true. BUT....

he was not a good QB at the start of the 2005 season. but by the end, he was a ton better. that's what I expect this season, he might be a little rusty to start off...but hopefully by the time conference season comes around, he'll be rolling.

Yes, I've been told he improved as the season went along. And, again, he was a starting BCS league quarterback. My understanding is he was rated the #1 QB by some services coming out of high school.

But, to me, it's not like he tore it up. I think there's plenty of reason for hope but how good he'll be is still kind of uncertain.

Sly Fox
July 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Did anybody mention that he was also a freshman?

katstrapper
July 25th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Did anybody mention that he was also a freshman?

Thank You! Starting as a freshman in the BigXII. I bet you would only find a handful of QB's that started as freshmen and had a lights out year. If he was still there, he would have been in the running for the Heisman last year. Plus, if I remember right he replaced the initial starter several games into the season.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Just curious...what were Josh McCown's rankings when he was at SMU prior to coming to SHSU?

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Are you kidding me??? Just take a look at the 8,000 threads bashing JD Quinn (excluding the new DUI chargexbangx )....Bomar did the same thingxrolleyesx The only difference is he didn't transfer to Montana

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Are you kidding me??? Just take a look at the 8,000 threads bashing JD Quinn (excluding the new DUI chargexbangx )....Bomar did the same thingxrolleyesx The only difference is he didn't transfer to Montana

here...I got a little quick research assignment for you.

find where Bomar is still getting DUIs
find where Bomar is mouthing off to the media
find where Bomar is showing an attitude problem
find where Bomar is helping teach youngsters at local area high school programs
find where Bomar did some coaching for youngsters in Las Vegas
find where Bomar shows class rather than bitching and complaining about what happened at OU

maybe you'll find a few more differences than transfering to Montana.

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
here...I got a little quick research assignment for you.

find where Bomar is still getting DUIs
find where Bomar is mouthing off to the media
find where Bomar is showing an attitude problem
find where Bomar is helping teach youngsters at local area high school programs
find where Bomar did some coaching for youngsters in Las Vegas
find where Bomar shows class rather than bitching and complaining about what happened at OU

maybe you'll find a few more differences than transfering to Montana.

I know...I know....Bomar was singing in the choir while Quinn was stealing from the collection platexrolleyesx Why don't you try READING my post...I believe I wrote excluding the new DUI charge. The question was posed "I'm sorry but what did this guy do wrong" and the FACT of the matter is Bomar was booted from OU for the same reason Quinn was booted but Quinn received all the negative attention.

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
There's a reason Quinn is receiving negative attention, see my previous post. Bomar is not making headlines, Quinn is.

Yes Bomar and Quinn did the same thing at OU. Both were given second chances. And that's where the road splits. Bomar has turned it around. Quinn has continued to be a total tool, and has now broken the law, again.

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
There's a reason Quinn is receiving negative attention, see my previous post. Bomar is not making headlines, Quinn is.

Yes Bomar and Quinn did the same thing at OU. Both were given second chances. And that's where the road splits. Bomar has turned it around. Quinn has continued to be a total tool.

I'm not saying Quinn hasn't f'd up...I believe it might be time to part ways with Mr. Quinn....My point is Quinn was receiving negative attention from members of the AGS community before the cell phone convo with the media and certainly before the DUI charge.xpeacex

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not saying Quinn hasn't f'd up...I believe it might be time to part ways with Mr. Quinn....My point is Quinn was receiving negative attention from members of the AGS community before the cell phone convo with the media and certainly before the DUI charge.xpeacex

Oh, well I can't speak for before then. I certainly think he and Bomar deserved second chances. You just have to hope one learned from their mistakes and grew as a person. But if they are going to make the same mistakes again, then its time to part company.

McNeese75
July 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Thank You! Starting as a freshman in the BigXII. I bet you would only find a handful of QB's that started as freshmen and had a lights out year. If he was still there, he would have been in the running for the Heisman last year. Plus, if I remember right he replaced the initial starter several games into the season.

xconfusedx

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
You just have to hope one learned from their mistakes and grew as a person. But if they are going to make the same mistakes again, then its time to part company.

agreed

Lionsrking
July 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Let's give him the Payton folks.

slycat
July 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM

xlolx xlolx you seem pretty sure for something that never happened.

Sly Fox
July 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I bet you would only find a handful of QB's that started as freshmen and had a lights out year.

Colt McCoy?
Major Applewhite?
James Brown?

xsmiley_wix

And they all had to accomplish it with all of the distractions in Austin. But I agree with your premise.