PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em Week *2--Spring 2021

Sader87
March 24th, 2021, 03:34 PM
As Lehigh and Colgate are off this week, I'll post the "pick 'em" thread here.

As of now, Wed. afternoon, 2 games are still on the docket...cross your fingahhs.

Fordham at Holy Cross

Lafayette at Bucknell

OhioHen
March 25th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Holy Cross
Bucknell

Fordham
March 25th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Choosing with my head and not my heart I have to take the Rams. Very very wary of a sluggish start due to how long it's been since we've played a meaningful game along with the fits and starts that came with Covid Spring ball for us.

I'll also take the Pards.

bonarae
March 25th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Holy Cross
Bucknell

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 26th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Holy Cross 24 Fordham 13
Bucknell 20 Lafayette 17

TheValleyRaider
March 26th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Quick picks on a Friday night:

Fordham at Holy Cross Holy Cross Crusaders have a game under their belts, Rams do not. Give me the home team with some practice.

Lafayette at Bucknell Lafayette Similar to above, but minus the "home team" part, add self-loathing for thinking I can trust or predict the Leopards.

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 12:16 PM
GOod start!

Rams 7
HC 0

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Nice FG. That HC kicker has a helluva leg.

Fordham 7
HC 3

Our run D looks very good. Our DBs look suspect

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Another great FG.

Fordham 7
HC 6

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Fordham's front 7 is very good! HC needs to be able to stretch the field in some capacity if they want to elevate themselves into the national conversation.

The HC kicker is at least NFL camp good!

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Fordham looks good! DeMorat definitely looks like a legit difference maker at QB! The Rams have some legit athletes at the skill positions.

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Fordham 14
HC 6

Great drive there. Good throws/decisions by Demorat and Sneed and the OL playing well

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Assuming that this game isn't available without a subscription?

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Jonathan Coste is playing like an absolute beast at NG

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Huge 4th down stop by HC DL

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 01:05 PM
HUUUUUGEEE blocked FG. Still 14 - 6

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Fordham blocks a HC FG!

Holy Cross has to do better than 28 yards passing in a half. Their aerial attack is painful to watch....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 01:09 PM
HC responds with a block punt for a TD!!

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Blocked punt by HC and fall on it for the score. Fordham 14 HC 13

Awful 3 and out before that punt

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 01:24 PM
Chesney has to try someone else at QB. Degenhardt has made a couple of nice throws...a D1 QB needs to do better than that....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 01:35 PM
HC comes up with a huge INT in the end zone at the end of the first half to deny Fordham points!

The Rams look considerably better but HC is scrapping....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Fordham is moving the ball up and down the field but the Crusader defense is standing tall when it matters most. HC is one play away from taken the lead despite being inept on offense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 02:15 PM
New Cross QB, two plays and a TD!

HC 20-14 6:49 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Fordham with a real strong drive inside the HC 5 but the Crusaders "D" forces a FG

HC 20-17 a little over a minute in 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 02:33 PM
HC has unleashed their version of Taysom Hill on Fordham! Sluka can't be stopped on the ground!!

HC 27-17 0:19 3Q

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Freshman HC QB is a game changer as a runner right now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:01 PM
This game is very indicative of where each program is. Fordham has moved the ball and looked very good at times but simply can't execute and make the plays when it matters. It's the same old song and dance of the last 5-6 years in the Bronx. Holy Cross meanwhile scrapped by, hung in there and now has firm control of the game by simply adjusting to the game flow and putting in Sluka at QB.

Chesney vs the rest of the league simply isn't a fair fight....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Crusaders rolling!!

34-17 7:54 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Fordham finally cashes in! The Ram's offense is without question very good. They've gone up and down the field all day....

HC 34-24 6:49 4Q

Fordham
March 27th, 2021, 03:14 PM
This frosh QB created a totally different dynamic than what we had prepped for obviously

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:16 PM
This frosh QB created a totally different dynamic than what we had prepped for obviously

I think it was pretty obvious that Degenhardt had to do something or a switch would be made at some point. If nothing else adapting to the change didn't happen quick enough for Fordham; advantage Crusaders. Chesney had his frosh QB ready to go....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Fordham gets down to the HC 22, comes away empty again after a missed FG. That will end this one....

HC 34-24 3:00 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Bucknell 7 Lafayette 6 8:30 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Bison 7-6 End 1Q

The Boogie Down
March 27th, 2021, 04:16 PM
The Rams look considerably better but HC is scrapping....

This game is very indicative of where each program is. Fordham has moved the ball and looked very good at times but simply can't execute and make the plays when it matters. It's the same old song and dance of the last 5-6 years in the Bronx. Holy Cross meanwhile scrapped by, hung in there and now has firm control of the game by simply adjusting to the game flow and putting in Sluka at QB.

Chesney vs the rest of the league simply isn't a fair fight....

Well, I can't say it's been a 5/6 year problem. Things went south in 2017 under Breiner but, Breiner aside, that was mostly due to injuries, particularly Chase. 2018 was a complete rebuild. Now 2019 was when eyebrows were raised. Conlin had some big talent edges, especially against Lehigh (no offense) and Lafayette but still came up short both times. Earlier he tried his best to come up short against Georgetown until getting saved w/a miracle ending.

Today Sluka was the game-changer, no doubt. But even before that Fordham was only up 14-13 despite nearly doubling Cross in terms of yards and first downs at the half. Big ups to Chesney for changing things up and replacing a senior w/a freshman. He gambled and it paid off handsomely. Still, there was a feel of Conlin not knowing how to win. Of doing his best to keep Cross close. I can't speak for the rest of the league but yes, Chesney vs. Conlin simply isn't a fair fight. Each of the past 3 seasons Conlin has been winning at the half. Each time Chesney made the adjustments and got the win.

IslandPard
March 27th, 2021, 04:24 PM
BU/LC very even game so far. Bucknell seems to want it more though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Bucknell taking control early in the 3rd. Cecchini has the Bison well prepared....

Bucknell 17-6 11:13 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 04:59 PM
TD Bison!! Boom!! Love what Dave has cooking in Lewisburg...

Bison 24-6 9:01 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Bison strike again! Their offense looks damn good!

Bucknell 31-6 14:10 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Given the unique circumstances of spring coaching is extra paramount. With that said, until further notice I'm sticking with this simple math formula.

Chesney>Cecchini>Hunt>Conlin>Gilmore=Garrett

Granted, Lafayette beat Colgate but generally speaking I'll stick with this moving forward to predict the general course of things once the dust settles....

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Bucknell adds another TD

Bison 38-7 with a little over 7 minutes left...

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2021, 05:58 PM
If there was a Lafayette board still around, they would not be happy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 06:06 PM

They were almost never happy. That's why it's gone...lol....

I'm going to harp on this over and over....the coaching in the PL is awful. Other than the mid 90's I can't think of a time when it was so blah. The days of Higgins/Lembo, Biddle, Clawson, Gadd and a fired up Tavani are long gone. Even Gordy Combs fielded respectable Towson teams in in the late 90's, early 00's.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Lafayette tacks on some "respectability" with a late TD...

Bison 38-13 2:45 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 06:16 PM
It's a wrap in Central PA; the Bison Stampede Lafayette 38-13...

Bitikofer (14/22 183 2 TD) and Earle (11/13 145 yards 2 TD) combine for 328 yards 4 TD and 0 INTS. That's excellent productivity by both guys!

Is it Holy Cross vs Bucknell next week? If so that should be an excellent contest!

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2021, 06:20 PM
They were almost never happy. That's why it's gone...lol....

I'm going to harp on this over and over....the coaching in the PL is awful. Other than the mid 90's I can't think of a time when it was so blah. The days of Higgins/Lembo, Biddle, Clawson, Gadd and a fired up Tavani are long gone. Even Gordy Combs fielded respectable Towson teams in in the late 90's, early 00's.

I agree and it speaks to a continuing erosion in the league which few are willing to discuss. If someone had told you in 2012 that six schools would add 60 scholarships and most would be less competitive as a result, you would never believe it. A lot of it is coaching.

The Boogie Down
March 27th, 2021, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

A lot of it is coaching.
And now back to the tears. A lot of it, especially on Rose Hill, is the coaching.

The Boogie Down
March 27th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Given the unique circumstances of spring coaching is extra paramount. With that said, until further notice I'm sticking with this simple math formula.

Chesney>Cecchini>Hunt>Conlin>Gilmore=Garrett

Granted, Lafayette beat Colgate but generally speaking I'll stick with this moving forward to predict the general course of things once the dust settles....

Never thought it through before but excellent breakdown! Not sure Conlin beats Garrett though. In fact, despite having more talent, Conlin still hasn't beaten Garrett on the field.

caribbeanhen
March 27th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Glad Delaware Was able to get Manny Rojas back after his one year hiatus at Lafayette

I like that guy

IslandPard
March 27th, 2021, 08:41 PM
Never thought it through before but excellent breakdown! Not sure Conlin beats Garrett though. In fact, despite having more talent, Conlin still hasn't beaten Garrett on the field.

Here we go again. Please enlighten us as to what positions you have more talent. LB? And, what info do you base your opinions on? We had 2 of the last 3 rookies of the year. Is that luck? Fordham?? I'll base todays L on one of our rookies of the year transferring, our best receiver and second best DL opting out of the season.

Franks Tanks
March 27th, 2021, 09:37 PM
Agree on the coaching.

I will always maintain that Gilmore was an awful hire. Conlin is blah.. Hunt is a solid coach but no Biddle. Chesney reminds me of early years Frankie T.

Garrett has been recruiting well and is a very bright guy overall. However, his offense has flat out stunk without a top QB, which he’s had for roughly 1/2 a year in 2019. He is so darn stubborn. Chick is the best of the bunch I think and Sterrett made a massive mistake passing on him. Oh well, more of the same from the PL for the foreseeable future.

The Boogie Down
March 27th, 2021, 09:56 PM
Here we go again. Please enlighten us as to what positions you have more talent. LB? And, what info do you base your opinions on? We had 2 of the last 3 rookies of the year. Is that luck? Fordham?? I'll base todays L on one of our rookies of the year transferring, our best receiver and second best DL opting out of the season.

Oh I dunno... Maybe, just maybe-maybe now, the fact that the PL itself put 9 Rams on the All-League team?

Feel free to click on that blue line thingy to the right for some enlightening: https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/3/3/patriot-league-announces-2021-spring-football-preseason-honors.aspx

One third of the 27 O/D position spots went to Fordham. Math, as an opposed to opinions, says that's more than any other team in the PL. You're welcome.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 27th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Agree on the coaching.

I will always maintain that Gilmore was an awful hire. Conlin is blah.. Hunt is a solid coach but no Biddle. Chesney reminds me of early years Frankie T.

Garrett has been recruiting well and is a very bright guy overall. However, his offense has flat out stunk without a top QB, which he’s had for roughly 1/2 a year in 2019. He is so darn stubborn. Chick is the best of the bunch I think and Sterrett made a massive mistake passing on him. Oh well, more of the same from the PL for the foreseeable future.

Coen's unfortunate and awful illness was a brutal blow to the program. While he wasn't an "elite" FCS coach he was a very good coach built for the PL/academic orientated school. Once he found his stride as a HC he knew what to look for in assistants at all levels of the team; the 2017 PL Title is a testament to that. His CEO style coaching ultimately was a success. He was able to mold things together to produce a program with a nationally relevant ceiling. At the same time, attrition and some recruiting misses resulted in a crappy year here and there but that's just life for most private schools. Even the historically most successful ones Furman, Villanova, Wofford, Richmond, Colgate, Lehigh, Harvard, Penn, Yale etc have down years/stretches from time to time. The key is hitting on those 2-3 year windows when the depth, injuries and staff continuity fall into place. Coen was the type of coach that could do that. I think he was sometimes a little too loyal to assistants and certain players. At times it did hurt the team. I'll always consider Coen the Mack Brown of the PL....

And Sterrett decided to hire Gilmore. If Lehigh goes 3-8 or worse in the fall he should be sent packing. Sterrett isn't getting any younger....

* Also of note for Lehigh. Generally speaking, all of Lehigh's coaches during the 1-AA/FCS era were successful. Whitehead, Small, Higgins, Lembo and Coen ranged from "good" to "excellent".

Sader87
March 27th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Well, young Sluka was a pleasant surprise. Be interesting how the QB situation plays out the rest of the Spring season.

carney2
March 28th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Some talk about PL coaching hires. Also, some talk about Chesney and Cecchini as the cream of the current crop. The Gilmore decision at Lehigh was baffling to say the least. Alumnus and former OC, Cecchini, was standing there, hat in hand, but was passed over. The Lehigh crowd has never been a forgiving bunch, and Sterrett should never be forgiven for this. I always suspected that AD Joe caved in to the fact that the Brown defense had been atrocious for something like five years and was his number one issue. Any info/opinions from the South Mountain crowd would be appreciated. Anyway, I expect that the Buffaloes will treat the fictitious birdies like a piñata for the next few years and prove my point.

Lehigh'98
March 29th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Some talk about PL coaching hires. Also, some talk about Chesney and Cecchini as the cream of the current crop. The Gilmore decision at Lehigh was baffling to say the least. Alumnus and former OC, Cecchini, was standing there, hat in hand, but was passed over. The Lehigh crowd has never been a forgiving bunch, and Sterrett should never be forgiven for this. I always suspected that AD Joe caved in to the fact that the Brown defense had been atrocious for something like five years and was his number one issue. Any info/opinions from the South Mountain crowd would be appreciated. Anyway, I expect that the Buffaloes will treat the fictitious birdies like a piñata for the next few years and prove my point.

It wasn't a good hire. His ceiling has been pretty much defined in the last 20 years. We are staring at a bunch of 3-8 to 6-5 seasons ahead. Passing over Dave was regrettable, but the way to go if you were going to make that choice would be to completely break free from the Higgins tree from 25 years ago and introduce some fresh faces. The opportunity was there, we looked backwards instead of forward though.

IslandPard
March 29th, 2021, 09:21 PM
Oh I dunno... Maybe, just maybe-maybe now, the fact that the PL itself put 9 Rams on the All-League team?

Feel free to click on that blue line thingy to the right for some enlightening: https://patriotleague.org/news/2021/3/3/patriot-league-announces-2021-spring-football-preseason-honors.aspx

One third of the 27 O/D position spots went to Fordham. Math, as an opposed to opinions, says that's more than any other team in the PL. You're welcome.

Nah the blue linky thing has too many numbers for this simpleton Laf guy. I can only handle 4 numbers at a time. How about 38-34?? Yeah...you lost that one.

The Boogie Down
March 31st, 2021, 03:30 AM
Nah the blue linky thing has too many numbers for this simpleton Laf guy. I can only handle 4 numbers at a time. How about 38-34?? Yeah...you lost that one.

38-34 takes us back to the point I've been making since the 2019 season. Which is, Fordham doesn't suffer from less overall talent or fewer All-League players, but instead, from inferior coaching. Kudos for following along this time.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Chesney has to try someone else at QB. Degenhardt has made a couple of nice throws...a D1 QB needs to do better than that....

New Cross QB, two plays and a TD!

HC 20-14 6:49 3Q

HC has unleashed their version of Taysom Hill on Fordham! Sluka can't be stopped on the ground!!

HC 27-17 0:19 3Q

Freshman HC QB is a game changer as a runner right now.

good ole boys were drinkin whiskey and wine singing this will be the day the The Jack Rabbit died

Had a vision of Sluka and the Crusaders pulling off a huge upset in Frisco this January … he’s that good