PDA

View Full Version : Thread: AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 6, Spring 2021

Preferred Walk-On
March 21st, 2021, 05:57 PM
And with Tennessee-Martin's FG to end it...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pq5Dg0jKKidNd1Cuo3ype0G7QwSgfw9zRBg2Ql0M9es/edit?usp=sharing

If you see any errors, please let me know. It is getting to the point where I am not double-checking everything, but I have caught an error or two here or there.

Also, if you are a Jackson State voter, you might consider Arkansas-Pine Bluff...

Also, NDSU>UND>SDSU>SIU>NDSU? Good luck with that.

Also, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound...or the title of the CAA season thus far. Good luck with that as well.

Also, may want to give Missouri State a look or two (yes, my MVFC bias is probably showing here).

Can't wait to see what AGS comes up with.

Daytripper
March 21st, 2021, 06:10 PM
I am troubled by how I should treat those teams whose games are postponed. Part of me says they are as good as the games that they have actually played. Another part of me says you have to play the games to keep your ranking. xdontknowxxdontknowxxdontknowx

Preferred Walk-On
March 21st, 2021, 06:20 PM
I am troubled by how I should treat those teams whose games are postponed. Part of me says they are as good as the games that they have actually played. Another part of me says you have to play the games to keep your ranking. xdontknowxxdontknowxxdontknowx

That has been one of the major dilemmas this season...that and no OOC to gauge anybody. I have no qualms about teams performing well jumping the "IDLEs"...I just try not to drop them down way too far unfairly. That said, the Sam Houston State will be jumping one of these teams in my poll this week. The Bearkats look really good, and well, the teams that I did have in front of them previously lost or did not play, so down they go.

kdinva
March 21st, 2021, 06:36 PM
thank you for doing this...

Preferred Walk-On
March 21st, 2021, 07:17 PM
Say, I just wanted to clarify on the 4 DI wins in the legend of the HTF. I was confused, and forgot it was 4 DI games must be played, not 4 DI wins. I will fix the wording on the HTF, but leave this, as I think this is potentially a decent metric to let one know if a team is being successful. For instance, if a team wins 4 games, and only plays 4 games, obviously this is indicative of some level of success.

caribbeanhen
March 21st, 2021, 07:47 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Preferred Walk-On again.

dewey
March 21st, 2021, 08:47 PM

I am right there with you.

For example Weber State has played 2 games (1 against UC Davis and 1 against Idaho State). Then, how good is UC Davis.

Not too mention the elephant in the room named James Madison. JMU beat Morehead State, struggled with Robert Morris and nearly got beat by Elon. Plus they lost 7 or 8 starters from the 2019 national runner up team. Plus the couple of games that have gotten postponed due to COVID.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 09:03 PM

For example Weber State has played 2 games (1 against UC Davis and 1 against Idaho State). Then, how good is UC Davis.

Not too mention the elephant in the room named James Madison. JMU beat Morehead State, struggled with Robert Morris and nearly got beat by Elon. Plus they lost 7 or 8 starters from the 2019 national runner up team. Plus the couple of games that have gotten postponed due to COVID.

Dewey

I'm dropping JMU at least a couple spots this week, probably more, but not Weber. The way UCD has looked in their games against Idaho and Cal-Poly makes the WSU win against them really solid. JMU has done nothing to continue getting the benefit of the doubt. It's unfortunate they haven't had the chance to have better showings, but we can't keep them where they are because we feel bad for them.

caribbeanhen
March 21st, 2021, 09:30 PM

Dewey

JMU overrated

UC Davis Underrated

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 08:01 AM
And with Tennessee-Martin's FG to end it...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pq5Dg0jKKidNd1Cuo3ype0G7QwSgfw9zRBg2Ql0M9es/edit?usp=sharing

If you see any errors, please let me know. It is getting to the point where I am not double-checking everything, but I have caught an error or two here or there.

Also, if you are a Jackson State voter, you might consider Arkansas-Pine Bluff...

Also, NDSU>UND>SDSU>SIU>NDSU? Good luck with that.

Also, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound...or the title of the CAA season thus far. Good luck with that as well.

Also, may want to give Missouri State a look or two (yes, my MVFC bias is probably showing here).

Can't wait to see what AGS comes up with.
I am going to blow my top 10 up, all these guys that haven't played are moving down, hell, I might put 4 MVFC in the top 6 and have SHSU and JSU take the other two spots. And of course we can add a win to SIU, SDSU and UND for the chicken **** move by ISU, get an extra win and a bye week. Freaking clown show.

paward
March 22nd, 2021, 08:12 AM
Can we just open up a shot for team COVID? They winning games.

SUPharmacist
March 22nd, 2021, 08:19 AM
I am going to blow my top 10 up, all these guys that haven't played are moving down, hell, I might put 4 MVFC in the top 6 and have SHSU and JSU take the other two spots. And of course we can add a win to SIU, SDSU and UND for the chicken **** move by ISU, get an extra win and a bye week. Freaking clown show.

Glad to not be a poll voter. The uneven schedules make this a nightmare. Hopefully the redbirds had some good reason we are not aware of to back out at this stage. I can understand teams that backed out before the season or games missed due to covid, but doing it this way is such a slap in the face to everyone left on your schedule.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 08:35 AM
Glad to not be a poll voter. The uneven schedules make this a nightmare. Hopefully the redbirds had some good reason we are not aware of to back out at this stage. I can understand teams that backed out before the season or games missed due to covid, but doing it this way is such a slap in the face to everyone left on your schedule.
It isn't a slap on the face to the teams left on the schedule, it is a slap on the face of the teams that have already played them, if the four teams left on their schedule get a "forfeit" and a bye week, I would take that kind of slap all day long. SDSU now might get a win and a bye week before they play NDSU, who is getting slapped here, got news for you, it isn't SDSU.

Chalupa Batman
March 22nd, 2021, 08:41 AM
It isn't a slap on the face to the teams left on the schedule, it is a slap on the face of the teams that have already played them, if the four teams left on their schedule get a "forfeit" and a bye week, I would take that kind of slap all day long. SDSU now might get a win and a bye week before they play NDSU, who is getting slapped here, got news for you, it isn't SDSU.

Yeah but it helps your avatar bet, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
March 22nd, 2021, 08:50 AM

I know exactly what you are saying, but I do not know if those teams will get credited with a win or just have 1 less game. Either way, you are right that it gives an extra week of prep to SDSU. However, if I were an SDSU fan I am more pissed that I get one less game than I am happy to have an extra week of prep. Plus Stiegelmeier will get them over thinking everything anyway. That game will be won by whoever is more disciplined (not sure Entz will have NDSU there, but I think the extra week just gives SDSU too much time to think about it). Either way, NDSU has to win this weekend which is no certainty with how they have looked this spring.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 08:53 AM
Yeah but it helps your avatar bet, right?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat was a lock anyway, but the bye week is pretty good news for SDSU.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 09:17 AM
I know exactly what you are saying, but I do not know if those teams will get credited with a win or just have 1 less game. Either way, you are right that it gives an extra week of prep to SDSU. However, if I were an SDSU fan I am more pissed that I get one less game than I am happy to have an extra week of prep. Plus Stiegelmeier will get them over thinking everything anyway. That game will be won by whoever is more disciplined (not sure Entz will have NDSU there, but I think the extra week just gives SDSU too much time to think about it). Either way, NDSU has to win this weekend which is no certainty with how they have looked this spring.Yea, I don't know how these games that ISUr bitched out of will be handled, I imagine they will hide behind some Covid BS and skate away.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 09:21 AM
I doubt the conference will grant forfeit victories to the remaining teams on ISU's schedule. Could be wrong but it would seem unlikely given how all postponements and cancellations have been handled throughout last fall and this spring. I posted it in the MVFC thread but the conference could fairly easily tweak the schedule to get all remaining teams back to 8 conference games with 4 home and 4 away and no one having to play each other twice.

SDSU takes their bye this week and gets MSU sent to Brookings on 4/17 (which is when MSU was originally set to play ISU).
The Friday 4/2 game between UNI and USD in Vermillion is changed to SIU (who was supposed to play ISU that weekend) at USD and UNI takes a bye that week.
The Saturday 4/3 game between MSU and UND is moved from Grand Forks to Springfield.
UNI @ UND is added to the conference schedule on 4/17.

I'm sure SDSU and UND probably wouldn't like losing their 4/17 bye since there are no byes in the playoffs this year but otherwise I'd think there would be few complaints. UND would still get a 4/10 bye though. Of course if anyone else pulls a Spack it's no longer salvageable.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 09:46 AM
I doubt the conference will grant forfeit victories to the remaining teams on ISU's schedule. Could be wrong but it would seem unlikely given how all postponements and cancellations have been handled throughout last fall and this spring. I posted it in the MVFC thread but the conference could fairly easily tweak the schedule to get all remaining teams back to 8 conference games with 4 home and 4 away and no one having to play each other twice.

SDSU takes their bye this week and gets MSU sent to Brookings on 4/17 (which is when MSU was originally set to play ISU).
The Friday 4/2 game between UNI and USD in Vermillion is changed to SIU (who was supposed to play ISU that weekend) at USD and UNI takes a bye that week.
The Saturday 4/3 game between MSU and UND is moved from Grand Forks to Springfield.
UNI @ UND is added to the conference schedule on 4/17.

I'm sure SDSU and UND probably wouldn't like losing their 4/17 bye since there are no byes in the playoffs this year but otherwise I'd think there would be few complaints. UND would still get a 4/10 bye though. Of course if anyone else pulls a Spack it's no longer salvageable.
This makes sense but what are the chances that it will actually happen.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 09:54 AM
This makes sense but what are the chances that it will actually happen.
A lot of moving parts since they'd probably need buy-in from all schools involved. I've already listed a couple schools that might have concerns.

SDSU: Loses their 4/17 bye going into the playoffs. Probably doesn't need another game to secure a playoff bid.
UND: Loses their 4/17 bye going into the playoffs (but still get one on 4/10 - do they really want two bye weeks going into the playoffs???). You wouldn't think they'd need an 8th game to secure a playoff bid.
UNI: Picks up a mid-season bye (which might be good for them given their injury situation) but replaces USD with UND. They need all the games they can get to get in the playoff conversation and a win @UND would be a good one.
MSU: Not a whole lot changes except they get a 4/3 home game instead of a 4/17 home game. They replace ISU with SDSU but they're also probably looking for any win, especially any impressive win, they can get.
SIU: No difference really as they replace a road game at ISU with a road game at USD on 4/3.
USD: No difference really as they replace a home game with UNI with a home game with SIU on 4/3.

SDSU probable has the biggest concern, then UND, then UNI. I doubt anyone else would have any concerns.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 22nd, 2021, 10:15 AM
I'm running out of legitimate data to rank 25 teams. The disparity of games played is becoming a serious issue imo in terms of really analyzing teams. I feel like a Top 15 is probably a better number relative to the % of teams we have participating this spring and the number of games those teams play.

15-25 is basically composed of teams that are needed to fill out a poll; i.e. their inclusion is based far more on necessity than merit. I'm nearing warm body mode...lol

KPSUL
March 22nd, 2021, 10:39 AM
I'm running out of legitimate data to rank 25 teams. The disparity of games played is becoming a serious issue imo in terms of really analyzing teams. I feel like a Top 15 is probably a better number relative to the % of teams we have participating this spring and the number of games those teams play.

15-25 is basically composed of teams that are needed to fill out a poll; i.e. their inclusion is based far more on necessity than merit. I'm nearing warm body mode...lol

I agree in concept, but I think you could make it 20.

As far as teams that have played few, if any, games so far this season: It's unfortunate that games must be cancelled due to Covid, but you can't keep giving teams a pass that are missing games. At the end of the season we'll just have look at records and make the call based on winning percentages and SOS for the actual games played. As of now, I wouldn't rank any team with less than 2 wins.

MSUDuo
March 22nd, 2021, 10:40 AM
MSU is in a tough spot. Yes, they could use any game and the chance to win.

But let's say they win the next 3. Then, do you feel good at 6-1 in the Valley and want to play a week before the playoffs and run the risk of Covid?

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 22nd, 2021, 11:32 AM
I agree in concept, but I think you could make it 20.

As far as teams that have played few, if any, games so far this season: It's unfortunate that games must be cancelled due to Covid, but you can't keep giving teams a pass that are missing games. At the end of the season we'll just have look at records and make the call based on winning percentages and SOS for the actual games played. As of now, I wouldn't rank any team with less than 2 wins.

I was almost going to go in the other direction. I seriously considered ranking Montana and Montana State because even though they're not technically playing games those are still two of the Top 25 teams in the country. At this point I feel they're just as worthy, if not more so, conducting spring practice and getting better in their own way than some of these teams going through the motions of a spring season. # of games played is already a flawed metric to use anyway.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 11:43 AM

But let's say they win the next 3. Then, do you feel good at 6-1 in the Valley and want to play a week before the playoffs and run the risk of Covid?
If MSU wins their next 3 they wouldn't need an 8th game this spring to get into the playoffs but if they drop one of those next 3 that extra game could make a difference especially if it was against a top 10 SDSU team.

MSUDuo
March 22nd, 2021, 12:12 PM
If MSU wins their next 3 they wouldn't need an 8th game this spring to get into the playoffs but if they drop one of those next 3 that extra game could make a difference especially if it was against a top 10 SDSU team.

Exactly. So do you gamble as MSU? I'd imagine the game would have to be scheduled fairly quickly

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
Exactly. So do you gamble as MSU? I'd imagine the game would have to be scheduled fairly quickly
Yeah, if it's going to happen from the conference level it needs to happen before this weekend. Although I guess SDSU and MSU could always work it out between themselves and call it a non-conference game.

KPSUL
March 23rd, 2021, 11:18 AM

Seriously, best of luck to the bears the rest of the season. It would be great to see MSU in the playoffs - its not easy to move up so significantly in a conference as loaded as the MVFC. Who know, we could see a MSU vs Rhode Island playoff game this spring.