PDA

View Full Version : Down South: This is Central Arkansas <---CSN

CSN-info
July 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Down South: This is Central Arkansas
Jason Plotkin, CSN Columnist
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86492

For many University of Central Arkansas fans, the question has been asked time and time again since a move to Division I and the Southland Conference was announced. “Are we there yet?” The answer after playing one season as a transitional Division I football independent team is a resounding yes. READ MORE...
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86492

patssle
July 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Just curious, why do you put Chris Brown on the list but not Rhett Bomar? Neither have played a down yet for the Bearkats, but both should be the best player per their posistion in the Southland, maybe even the entire FCS. Maybe they should be on the list, maybe they shouldn't, but they should be treated equal...if that makes sense?

Great article though! I'm not so much overlooking the Bears this season, its just that they lost a ton of talent. Now if they can come in and do well this season with a bunch of new talent, then wow I'll really be impressed.

ucdtim17
July 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Though it is argued by some that schools should play ‘cupcakes’ when making the transition,

Who argues that?

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Just curious, why do you put Chris Brown on the list but not Rhett Bomar? Neither have played a down yet for the Bearkats, but both should be the best player per their posistion in the Southland, maybe even the entire FCS. Maybe they should be on the list, maybe they shouldn't, but they should be treated equal...if that makes sense?

SLC is a QB league and I think while Bomar may have a great year, the biggest impact on SHSU's squad may be felt upfront when the Kats will have a much more present passing defense thanks to effective playmakers on the line that can get to the QB.

Great article though! I'm not so much overlooking the Bears this season, its just that they lost a ton of talent. Now if they can come in and do well this season with a bunch of new talent, then wow I'll really be impressed.

Coach Conque developed a plan. I think that while they lose a lot, they did a great job of recruiting players from both HS and JUCO levels that will help build their program up. UCA's recruiting has been phenomenal and their success last year only bolstered that...

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Who argues that?

It was more along the lines of that everyone thinks a team should transition one way or another...

We've seen several schools schedule strong foes as they made the transition, especially in their first year, while on the other side of things, we've seen a bit of a different approach from other schools.

We've seen some schools shoot up to the full allotment of scholarships allowed, others have not. It was probably not the best way to approach it, but you see what I mean? UCA has done a great job scheduling. They're the only squad in the SLC without a sub-Div I foe!

AggieFinn
July 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The only thing I remember about UCA was that they got thumped by the Great West, but played some good football there in the south last season, and had some big wins for the program. Wish 'em the best in 2007, they had some cool fans in Davis last year. Loved the purple camou pants! xlolx

Ronbo
July 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
The only thing I remember about UCA was that they got thumped by the Great West, but played some good football there in the south last season, and had some big wins for the program. Wish 'em the best in 2007, they had some cool fans in Davis last year. Loved the purple camou pants! xlolx

Hey AggieFinn have those guys on the ends of that pic got their green cards yet? xsmiley_wix

BEAR
July 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Yeah, that game was disappointing but with college students/football players traveling what seems to be thousands of miles to South Dakota, California, Texas twice and Georgia...you have to admit that going 3-3 verses really good FCS teams isn't bad for a first transitional year..xsmiley_wix Remember Aggie fans, home games are great when you can get them..and they were a welcome sight last year. UCA isn't afraid to play a tough schedule every year. This year it's Louisiana Tech, SDSU, Mo. State and all our conference foes..and it's a very very very young team to boot...Hey, I'm just going to enjoy the games, win or lose...more so if we win...xlolx Purple camos? Geez...I'm in the south...xrolleyesx xlolx

JoshUCA
July 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Very good article! It is going to be a very exciting season for UCA...win or lose!

Bear Fan 101
July 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Enjoyed the article and am excited about where my Alma Mater is headed, win or lose this year.

As for the purple camo's. I visit with the fan with the pants frequently, I will let him know you all enjoyed them, as quite I'm sure they will make the appearance this seasona time or two as well!

McTailGator
July 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM
SLC is a QB league

I totally disagree!

This has NEVER been the case for any teams BUT SHSU, which tends to rely on transfers at QB.

The SLC has been and will continue to be a DEFENSIVE league.

Run first, control the ball, and hurt people on defense.

Not saying we haven't has some talent at the QB position, but all in all, the most successful teams to go to the playoffs have been due to great running games, and tough defenses.

patssle
July 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I totally disagree!

This has NEVER been the case for any teams BUT SHSU, which tends to rely on transfers at QB.

The SLC has been and will continue to be a DEFENSIVE league.

Run first, control the ball, and hurt people on defense.

I agree. This seems to be a different year with SFA, McNeese, TSUSM, and SHSU all sporting good QBs who might make the difference in who wins and who loses.

However, SHSU has been different because we have a pass oriented offense that has worked well for us under good QBs.

McTailGator
July 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I agree. This seems to be a different year with SFA, McNeese, TSUSM, and SHSU all sporting good QBs who might make the difference in who wins and who loses.

However, SHSU has been different because we have a pass oriented offense that has worked well for us under good QBs.

McNeese's QB will be a good one FOR US, because of his ability to RUN and throw. But we will have some VERY good running backs this year. Something we have lacked since Vic King graduated. Our QB is a very good runner, and that will buy him a great deal of time to make things happen.

We're counting on our ability to run to help out our defense this year. However, we will not shy away from the passing game because we have 4 wide recievers and a TE that are not on the best group in MSU history, I believe 2 of them or legit all americans at the end of the year, and the other 2 could be all SLC if it were'nt for the top two getting all the balls.