PDA

View Full Version : S.C. senator seeks in-state matchups

Coastal89
August 23rd, 2005, 06:23 AM
COLUMBIA - Nothing against Florida Atlantic, but Chip Limehouse can name six schools in the state that South Carolina and Clemson ought to be playing instead of the Howard Schnellenberger-coached team from Boca Raton, Fla.

It also would help Clemson and USC save money. Clemson athletics director Terry Don Phillips said guarantees for I-AA schools would cost around $250,000. By comparison, Clemson is paying Florida Atlantic and Louisiana Tech $500,000 apiece in 2006, while USC is giving FAU a $600,000 guarantee.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/12451196.htm

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2005, 06:57 AM
I would think Furman and Citadel would be able to do their own lobbying.

IaaScribe
August 23rd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Poorly written article.

It doesn't mention until halfway through the story that Florida Atlantic is a "mid-level I-A team." And even then, it's only insinuated. Makes the reader think USC and Clemson are scheduling a I-AA in Florida Atlantic.

Also, S.C. State and Coastal are mentioned only in the final grafs? Why's that?

And, it was every four years a win against a I-AA could count toward bowl eligibility, not every three.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM
As the article mentions, Clemson has scheduled in-state I-AA's. Carolina has not. Probebly due to the old bowl eligibility rules.

I know they are state schools but state legislators should have more to worry about than sticking their nose in football scheduling issues.

Coastal89
August 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Also, S.C. State and Coastal are mentioned only in the final grafs?
I don't know about SCSU but this will be the first year that Coastal will have the full amount of scholarships, therefore it would be 2008 before a game against us would count as a bowl eligible win.

citdog
August 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
The University of South Carolina will never schedule The Citadel again after the 38-35 Citadel victory over USC on 20 October 1990.

Cocky
August 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Poorly written article.

It doesn't mention until halfway through the story that Florida Atlantic is a "mid-level I-A team."

What I-A schools would be a low level I-A? FL Atlantic would have to be a the bottom of I-A. This would be the same as calling JSU's Basketball team Mid-Major while we are the lowest of the LOW majors.