PDA

View Full Version : Jackson St. game on ESPN2

Schism55
March 9th, 2021, 11:43 AM
https://twitter.com/FBSchedules/status/1369292026261422084

nodak651
March 9th, 2021, 11:50 AM
That's great and all, but a game vs MVSU, really? Love the attention Jackson State is getting though. It's great for the SWAC. Too bad they don't participate in playoffs - would add a fun dynamic and storylines.

POD Knows
March 9th, 2021, 11:51 AM
https://twitter.com/FBSchedules/status/1369292026261422084Jackson State should have lost to Grambling last week

TheKingpin28
March 9th, 2021, 01:03 PM
https://twitter.com/FBSchedules/status/1369292026261422084

Barstool and PrimeTime are pushing the SWAC which in turn pushes the FCS. Can't complain about that.

kdinva
March 9th, 2021, 01:26 PM
I am AOK with this. Jay Walker on the call? Maybe have Michael Irvin as a sideline reporter, keep asking Coach Sanders for comments. :D

OhioHen
March 9th, 2021, 01:28 PM
I am AOK with this. Jay Walker on the call? Maybe have Michael Irvin as a sideline reporter, keep asking Coach Sanders for comments. :D

Jay Walker on the call is the one thing that will make me turn it off. I want to watch some football, so I hope he's not involved.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 9th, 2021, 04:48 PM
This game will be over mid 2nd quarter, there are so many better games out there this week alone that would represent the subdivision and not simply be a three hour informercial for Deion Inc.

A&T AGGIE96
March 9th, 2021, 08:13 PM
This game will be over mid 2nd quarter, there are so many better games out there this week alone that would represent the subdivision and not simply be a three hour informercial for Deion Inc.

Better games ??? Only thing is, nobody wants to see those games. ESPN had a choice...they choose this game.

Outside of this board...college football fans don’t care about FCS. That’s why the teams that can leave this division leave...even if they sit at the bottom of the FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unknown3
March 9th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Better games ??? Only thing is, nobody wants to see those games. ESPN had a choice...they choose this game.

Outside of this board...college football fans don’t care about FCS. That’s why the teams that can leave this division leave...even if they sit at the bottom of the FBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN knows JSU is a headline right now so it only makes sense. I was surprised they didn't do it for the Grambling game. Regardless of what anyone says about the quality of hbcu football, can't dispute that they are the best in fcs at drawing eyeballs pretty consistently.

OhioHen
March 10th, 2021, 06:29 AM
ESPN knows JSU is a headline right now so it only makes sense. I was surprised they didn't do it for the Grambling game. Regardless of what anyone says about the quality of hbcu football, can't dispute that they are the best in fcs at drawing eyeballs pretty consistently.

As evidenced by the outcome, the Grambling game wouldn't have been a showcase for Showtime. Better game - yes. Better story for ESPN to cover - no.

Maybe the Delta Devils will spoil everyone's party and pull the upset. Note: not putting any money on THAT.

MVFCBeat
March 10th, 2021, 02:46 PM
So does all the attention JSU is getting help the FCS, or is it so Deion focused that it is a wash? Especially since he is in a non-playoffs league.

I think it is great for the SWAC, and great for HBCUs, but doesn't do much for the overall FCS at-large since they don't play in the playoffs and that is our premiere event. But that is OK, the SWAC and HBCUs deserve some love. I think he helps the Celebration Bowl (when we get back to it) and it would be awesome if that event continues to grow in prominence.

Libertine
March 10th, 2021, 03:25 PM
So does all the attention JSU is getting help the FCS, or is it so Deion focused that it is a wash? Especially since he is in a non-playoffs league.

I think it is great for the SWAC, and great for HBCUs, but doesn't do much for the overall FCS at-large since they don't play in the playoffs and that is our premiere event. But that is OK, the SWAC and HBCUs deserve some love. I think he helps the Celebration Bowl (when we get back to it) and it would be awesome if that event continues to grow in prominence.

I think it means next to nothing for FCS in general and I don't think playoffs/no playoffs factor in at all. I think it's similar to the exposure that Last Chance U gave to particular juco's. I remember the names of the featured characters -- the players, coaches and programs at the center of each season -- but I couldn't tell you who they played against or why I should care outside the context of the show. In this case, I think the attention is great for Deion, less great by comparison but still really good for Jackson State and merely good for the SWAC at large. But, the "benefit curve" for individual SWAC schools or other HBCU's drops off sharply after that, enough so that the ripples from whatever splashes Deion makes won't really raise or lower anyone else's boat much at all.

caribbeanhen
March 10th, 2021, 04:48 PM
I've watched some of Jackson State's games, I like watching the QB, he is a physical runner and brings it to the Defense.... reminds me of that Rhode Island QB from a few years ago, I hope ESPN2 doesn't miss many plays with the camera love they will show Deon ..... rather watch the game than the coach

SUPharmacist
March 11th, 2021, 10:58 AM
In this case, I think the attention is great for Deion, less great by comparison but still really good for Jackson State and merely good for the SWAC at large. But, the "benefit curve" for individual SWAC schools or other HBCU's drops off sharply after that, enough so that the ripples from whatever splashes Deion makes won't really raise or lower anyone else's boat much at all.

I agree with this take. Great for Deion and Jackson State but benefits beyond that dilute pretty quickly.

I hope Deion ends up being a great coach and sticks around at Jackson State. If he is a good coach and quickly tries to jump to "higher level" football, I think the bump he is giving Jackson State could actually be a negative in the long term as it could make Jackson State look small time. On the other hand if he sticks around and builds Jackson State into a destination for top recruits the benefits for them and other HBCUs could be great.

MVFCBeat
March 12th, 2021, 04:17 PM
I agree with this take. Great for Deion and Jackson State but benefits beyond that dilute pretty quickly.

I hope Deion ends up being a great coach and sticks around at Jackson State. If he is a good coach and quickly tries to jump to "higher level" football, I think the bump he is giving Jackson State could actually be a negative in the long term as it could make Jackson State look small time. On the other hand if he sticks around and builds Jackson State into a destination for top recruits the benefits for them and other HBCUs could be great.

If Deion is coaching in the Celebration Bowl that instantly puts the event on the map and makes it more recognizable to fans moving forward. If a good number of first-time fans tune in to see Deion and in the process learn about what the Celebration Bowl is and the significance and the history behind it and HBCU football that certainly can do nothing but help, one would think.

SUPharmacist
March 13th, 2021, 12:00 AM
If Deion is coaching in the Celebration Bowl that instantly puts the event on the map and makes it more recognizable to fans moving forward. If a good number of first-time fans tune in to see Deion and in the process learn about what the Celebration Bowl is and the significance and the history behind it and HBCU football that certainly can do nothing but help, one would think.

Certainly it can only help, but the Celebration Bowl is already on the map and I wonder how big a bump it would get from Deion.

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 08:25 AM
The game with Mississippi Valley State will be a slaughter, the narrative will be that Neon is the greatest coach ever and now Jackson State is a powerhouse in FCS and should probably be rated #1 in the country. Bookit

Milktruck74
March 13th, 2021, 10:45 AM
I'm pulling for Coach Prime. He is a good man and he needs to be in coaching. He is having an impact on his 90 guys, and beyond...Coaching needs more guys like him!!!

Panther88
March 14th, 2021, 12:23 PM
The game with Mississippi Valley State will be a slaughter, the narrative will be that Neon is the greatest coach ever and now Jackson State is a powerhouse in FCS and should probably be rated #1 in the country. Bookit

Funny. I seriously doubt it. Most of us could care less about an irrelevant and meaningless "D-I FCS ranking." Our concern is winning our division, being competitive OOC, winning the SCG, and ultimately winning the CB. Granted, there is a docu-series following coach Prime's every move which will sell air time but we, collectively SWAC, have experienced a mild renaissance of sorts.

Coach Prime is good for JSU and is ultimately good for the SWAC. When is the last time a D-I FCS school had a nationwide broadcast on ESPN2 where it wasn't a "playoff game?" *crickets* xlolx

Just look at the athletic venues of SWAC schools vs other local FCS schools. There you will find your answer(s) regarding competitivity. I cannot wait for SWAC schools to go toe-to-toe vs other D-I FCSers, as well as a few G5ers OOC.

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Funny. I seriously doubt it. Most of us could care less about an irrelevant and meaningless "D-I FCS ranking." Our concern is winning our division, being competitive OOC, winning the SCG, and ultimately winning the CB. Granted, there is a docu-series following coach Prime's every move which will sell air time but we, collectively SWAC, have experienced a mild renaissance of sorts.

Coach Prime is good for JSU and is ultimately good for the SWAC. When is the last time a D-I FCS school had a nationwide broadcast on ESPN2 where it wasn't a "playoff game?" *crickets* xlolx

Just look at the athletic venues of SWAC schools vs other local FCS schools. There you will find your answer(s) regarding competitivity. I cannot wait for SWAC schools to go toe-to-toe vs other D-I FCSers, as well as a few G5ers OOC.
I am not talking about what the rank and file SWAC fan thinks about the game, I am talking about how it will be framed in the media. Yea, you should play more top FCS programs and some G5's and maybe win a few games to back up your ****ing bull****. So having more fans in the stands makes you teams better and more competitive on the field. Thanks for the Sunday humor.

Laker
March 14th, 2021, 03:45 PM
30-0 at half. I watch this remember when I saw MVSU play at NDSU and the game was over in the first quarter. Great nickname- unique Christmas tree colors- but they could use both Jerry Rice and Deacon Jones in their prime today.

They just interviewed Deon. It will be interesting to see how his recruiting goes.

Anthony215
March 15th, 2021, 10:35 AM
One good thing is that Dione will get 2 full recruiting classes in before the big schools start trying to poach him away. I love how he is using his name to get upgrades to the facilities/scholarship numbers, equipment for his players. Once the fall season arrives and most of the population is vaccinated I suspect JSU will have a full stadium wherever they play at.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 10:49 AM
One good thing is that Dione will get 2 full recruiting classes in before the big schools start trying to poach him away. I love how he is using his name to get upgrades to the facilities/scholarship numbers, equipment for his players. Once the fall season arrives and most of the population is vaccinated I suspect JSU will have a full stadium wherever they play at.They look like a pretty good football and will only get better in all likelihood. I put them in my AGS poll this week, watched most of the game yesterday.

OhioHen
March 15th, 2021, 10:50 AM
One good thing is that Dione will get 2 full recruiting classes in before the big schools start trying to poach him away. I love how he is using his name to get upgrades to the facilities/scholarship numbers, equipment for his players. Once the fall season arrives and most of the population is vaccinated I suspect JSU will have a full stadium wherever they play at.

Jackson State usually played before fairly full stadiums anyway. Most of the HBCUs do, whatever the quality of the on-field product may be.

caribbeanhen
March 15th, 2021, 10:52 AM
They look like a pretty good football and will only get better in all likelihood. I put them in my AGS poll this week, watched most of the game yesterday.

Maybe you can recruit the quarterback to come up to Fargo, he’s tough

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Maybe you can recruit the quarterback to come up to Fargo, he’s toughYea, I would take him in a heart beat. He was a little off throwing the ball but he is a freshman.

ASU33
March 15th, 2021, 11:40 AM
We got em this week on ESPN 2. Let's see what happens

Panther88
March 15th, 2021, 12:49 PM
We got em this week on ESPN 2. Let's see what happens

It will be a slobber-knocker, hard-hitting game. AlaSU is not a slouch and has vastly improved.

Preferred Walk-On
March 15th, 2021, 01:02 PM
They look like a pretty good football and will only get better in all likelihood. I put them in my AGS poll this week, watched most of the game yesterday.

Pondered this for a minute, then asked myself, "Where do you put Prairie View A&M?". After all, they also beat Grambling by about the same margin; however, their coach is not Deion. Just couldn't place Jackson State yet.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 01:08 PM
Pondered this for a minute, then asked myself, "Where do you put Prairie View A&M?". After all, they also beat Grambling by about the same margin; however, their coach is not Deion. Just couldn't place Jackson State yet.I looked at the same thing, I am going to wait another week on Prairie View, I put JSU at 24 in my poll, mostly out of default because I was floundering from about 17 on. It was really kind of a coin flip for the teams I had from at least 20 to 30, just really hard to tell. I like how JSU looks on offense, I don't think they will lose a game this year but we will see.

Panther88
March 15th, 2021, 01:21 PM
I am not talking about what the rank and file SWAC fan thinks about the game, I am talking about how it will be framed in the media. Yea, you should play more top FCS programs and some G5's and maybe win a few games to back up your ****ing bull****. So having more fans in the stands makes you teams better and more competitive on the field. Thanks for the Sunday humor.

The marketplace determines the value, doesn't it? Isn't that the same formula the successful D-I FBSers use to determine their worth? Butts in seat, (football) budgets, victories OOC and IC over rivals, et al? Is that formula wrong? Just as long as our constituents care, who cares what "outsiders" and non-contributors think? *crickets*

What is making our teams better and more competitive on the field, in the near future, will be recruiting top-tier student-athletes and dominance OOC. The added visibility is a great marketing tool and coach Prime/JSU are certainly doing their part to add visibility.

Those who choose to chop wood in the "playoff" forest, knock yourself out. No one other than the 312 fans in attendance will hear or see the tree fall. Good luck w/ it though.

Panther88
March 15th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Pondered this for a minute, then asked myself, "Where do you put Prairie View A&M?". After all, they also beat Grambling by about the same margin; however, their coach is not Deion. Just couldn't place Jackson State yet.

You shouldn't rank PVAMU.

Hopefully we'll continue to be unranked until we return losses to neighboring SLC power schools who clipped us over the last few years : SHSU, Nicholls St particularly. Both escaped w/ victories we simply gave them during our last meetings. xsmhx

We have games vs UIW, NwSt, and ACU upcoming??? Unsure of the order right now.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 01:36 PM
The marketplace determines the value, doesn't it? Isn't that the same formula the successful D-I FBSers use to determine their worth? Butts in seat, (football) budgets, victories OOC and IC over rivals, et al? Is that formula wrong? Just as long as our constituents care, who cares what "outsiders" and non-contributors think? *crickets*

What is making our teams better and more competitive on the field, in the near future, will be recruiting top-tier student-athletes and dominance OOC. The added visibility is a great marketing tool and coach Prime/JSU are certainly doing their part to add visibility.

Those who choose to chop wood in the "playoff" forest, knock yourself out. No one other than the 312 fans in attendance will hear or see the tree fall. Good luck w/ it though.
So, what is the SWAC OOC record? And just for the record, when NDSU is in the championship, there is 20,000 in attendance, I don't give two ****s about the rest of the division and their support. The quality of a team from a competitive standpoint is judged by how they perform on the field, I do think that the SWAC might be taking positive steps forward, I never denied that but you got to put some wins together outside the conference to prove it.

Panther88
March 15th, 2021, 04:20 PM
So, what is the SWAC OOC record? And just for the record, when NDSU is in the championship, there is 20,000 in attendance, I don't give two ****s about the rest of the division and their support. The quality of a team from a competitive standpoint is judged by how they perform on the field, I do think that the SWAC might be taking positive steps forward, I never denied that but you got to put some wins together outside the conference to prove it.

Prove what to who? Our constituents? Our fanbase? Couldn't agree w/ you more. Everyone else and their opinion are irrelevant and meaningless, unless one is spending a $ to support. :)

We lead in FCS/former i-aa attendance annually because we have fans who are interested in what we offer. Good deal on your fanbase supporting NDSU. I can only imagine what the bottom rung of attendance looks like for those VERY large FCS schools whose fans simply don't give a flying damned about their schools' sports teams.

xlolx

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Prove what to who? Our constituents? Our fanbase? Couldn't agree w/ you more. Everyone else and their opinion are irrelevant and meaningless, unless one is spending a $ to support. :)

We lead in FCS/former i-aa attendance annually because we have fans who are interested in what we offer. Good deal on your fanbase supporting NDSU. I can only imagine what the bottom rung of attendance looks like for those VERY large FCS schools whose fans simply don't give a flying damned about their schools' sports teams.

xlolx
Yea, well, when they do a screening of Plan 9 from Outer Space in a theater, the place gets pretty full.

caribbeanhen
March 15th, 2021, 05:00 PM

I was asking myself where did Deion put his wallet for the game?

Professor
March 16th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Yea, I would take him in a heart beat. He was a little off throwing the ball but he is a freshman.

#4 is the kid who transferred from Florida. He's a sophomore

POD Knows
March 17th, 2021, 09:07 AM
#4 is the kid who transferred from Florida. He's a sophomoreOK, I had checked a roster or some other information source that had him as a Fr. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I think it was referenced in the game on Sunday about him being a transfer or something, I was watching the game but not really listening to the broadcast team.

POD Knows
March 17th, 2021, 09:10 AM
I was asking myself where did Deion put his wallet for the game?Tucked up on his head, the upside down visor was holding it in place. Guys like him probably don't have to carry wallets, sort of like the President. He has tabs all over the world and he just gets billed for stuff.

Sonic98
March 19th, 2021, 09:24 AM
Jackson State should have lost to Grambling last week

Actually we shouldn't lave let the game be so close when you really look at it

POD Knows
March 19th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Actually we shouldn't lave let the game be so close when you really look at itHonestly, if you played them again you would win by 4+ TD's.

Sonic98
March 19th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Comments like this show me that people just don't get it. I've heard similar things in discussions with people from other SWAC and MEAC teams. The more shine Prime gets, the more shine HBCU and FCS football gets. It's short-sighted to root against his success. Yes, you don't want to be the victim of someone else's hype, but looking at the bigger picture Prime is drawing attention to smaller schools. Yes, team we're playing can't root against their own team. You want to be the one to knock us off, but when they're not playing us they should root for the attention to keep on growing. The attention Jackson State has been getting has put eyes on all FCS football. At some point there will be games scheduled against teams outside the SWAC and MEAC. We can all benefit

Sonic98
March 19th, 2021, 11:11 AM

It has nothing to do with the playoffs. Even if all it does is get an additional non-HBCU FCS game or two broadcast, that's better than nothing. Heck push for ESPN to promote FCS in general during these games. I don't even feel like the "HBCU Crew" has to cover every one of these games. Maybe as long as NCAT is include in the hype it will put more attention on the current conference. If Prime is able to do what he says he wants to do, there is nothing keeping other FCS conferences from trying to piggyback and say "you can have success at an FCS school." Put JSU and others on your schedule if Prime and others are able to bring about any significant improvement in the SWAC. Don't be so quick to dismiss it as "nothing to do with us." Yes, he hypes up HBCUs, but I've heard him speak on the quality of FCS football a couple times. And there are times when people ask him questions they say FCS football not HBCU. I'm sure he would have no problem doing any kind of joint promotions.

Sonic98
March 19th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Certainly it can only help, but the Celebration Bowl is already on the map and I wonder how big a bump it would get from Deion.

It's on the map but nothing like it would be if one of the more popular programs played in it, especially if Prime is in the mix. There would be significant increase in both attendance and viewership in my opinion. There would be a lot of hype outside the HBCU world. I've always believed it would be a bigger deal with either Southern or Jackson State playing in it.

Sonic98
March 19th, 2021, 11:24 AM

Hopefully Prime looks under every rock. It will be great to keep bring in 3 and 4 stars, top 20 JUCO transfers, and graduate transfers; but he likely needs more than that to get where he wants to be. Outside of those guys he needs to look at how his regular recruits compare to the rest of FCS. The SWAC has a long history to focuses too much on skill positions and the depth at skill positions.

Laker
March 22nd, 2021, 11:40 AM
It's on the map but nothing like it would be if one of the more popular programs played in it, especially if Prime is in the mix. There would be significant increase in both attendance and viewership in my opinion. There would be a lot of hype outside the HBCU world. I've always believed it would be a bigger deal with either Southern or Jackson State playing in it.

What is the deal with all of the red in the Tiger's uniforms? I always thought that they were navy and white. Did Prime change this or has it been going on for awhile?

ASU33
March 22nd, 2021, 11:20 PM
What is the deal with all of the red in the Tiger's uniforms? I always thought that they were navy and white. Did Prime change this or has it been going on for awhile?

Red accents have been a part of the JSU uniforms since the early 1970s when Head Coach WC Gordon took over. The red block JSU became popular but the school phased out the red accents back in 2000. Many fans and Alumnus campaign to bring the red back and it came back here and there over the past few years. JSU even does Red outs for certain games.

Sonic98
March 25th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Back in the day WC Gordon added it as an accent. I believe we were using the red accent back when he won 28 games in a row. It recent years fans have become overly obsessed with bringing the red back. It's almost to the level of superstition. Hopefully, in the future they go back to it just being a block or an accent