PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Traditions

blueballs
August 22nd, 2005, 04:13 PM
The earlier topic posted by Ralph got me to thinking, which is painful I must admit.

I am interested to know what are some of your school's favorite traditions.

At GSU, the players ride to the stadium on two dilapidated yellow school busses that have been in use since the Erk era. There's also the "Whose House? Our House!" and the "Georgia" "Southern" cheers where one side of the stadium yells to the other.

There are several more but I'll let my GSU friends elaborate. What are yours?

Tailbone
August 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Pep rallies in Chattanooga. :D

citdog
August 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Didn't hear much of that GSU stuff the last time i was down there as we beat them on their homecoming.

The Corps marching down Hagood ave to the Stadium. The band playing "Dixie". The Cannon fire. that's Citadel Football.

DTSpider
August 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
I've got to admit one that I really like is YSU and the penguin march onto/off the field. Only time I saw it was in the upper 30s and pouring rain, so the climate wasn't too far off either.

DuckDuckGriz
August 22nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
A few of my Griz favorites...

The skydivers before the game who try to land on the Grizzly bear
The "MONTANA.......GRIZZLIES" cheer
Monte coming out of his tunnel on the Harley
The North Endzone crazies
#37 jersey given to the team's hardest hitter on defense.
The cannon and "BOOM" crew
The victory bell
The footbridge over the Clark Fork River
The "M" on Mount Sentinel

Other favorites........

McNeese State's "Jolie Blonde"
McNeese State's fans' cowbells
Sam Houston State's "Couch Potatoes"
Lehigh vs. Lafayette

ngineer
August 22nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Lehigh's marching band, "The Marching '97", while small, is very energetic and fun to watch. They end their halftime show by massing at mid-field and march into the endzone and turn around with the drum major cakewalking/highstrutting leading them back out while spelling L-E-H-I-G-H and playing one of the fight songs, "Down the Field". In the stands, they play a good number of roudy and old-time songs--visitng teams have asked the officials to 'quiet the band' on occasion. "Captured" cheerleaders are brought over to the upper deck to lead the band, which always starts playing "The Stripper". Brass fanfares are played by the trumpets prior and during the game from various location throughout the stadium.
When Lehigh scores, a small brass cannon is fired from the south endzone and the old train engine bell affixed to a granite slab behind the team bench is rung for all points scored cumulatively to that point.
However, the biggest tradition is every third saturday in November--this year for the 141st time.

EagleCrusade
August 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
The insanely dangerous G-S-U scramble!!

And the " TO Hell with Furman" cheer.

Dukester
August 22nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
The Thousands of Purple and Gold Streamers JMU fans throw at home games and all playoff games is pretty cool. They got a lot of TV time during the National Championship game and also on Sports Center

We also have a unique "peanut cheer" that is a bit over the line, but our students appear to love it. :rolleyes:

foghorn
August 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
:p The ringing of the victory bell after a home win at the Tub.http://www.udel.edu/main/tour/onlyatdelaware.htmlhttp://www.udel.edu/main/tour/onlyatdelaware.htmlhttp://www.udel.edu/main/tour/onlyatdelaware.html Scrool down to Victory Bell. Go Hens!

citdog
August 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM
Ice cold beer makes you want to cheer. Ice cold gin makes you want to win. Ice cold duck makes you want to..... SCORE!

McNeese72
August 22nd, 2005, 11:01 PM
Near and dear to all McNeese fans' hearts: The playing of "Jolie Blonde"

The Band marching to the Westside Tailgate area and playing "Jolie Blonde" (and "On McNeese")

The Band playing "Jolie Blonde" on the SE ramp down to the field upon entering Cowboy Stadium.

Oh, and did I mention the playing of "Jolie Blonde".

And a newer one: Rowdy surfing his wheeled ice chest down the South endzone hill.

As far as other opponents. I like same Sam's Couch Potatos, Northwestern St.'s Band, and the antics of the Griz's Monte.

Pard94
August 23rd, 2005, 07:09 AM
I like a tradition that has started more recently at Lafayette. Every year we beat Lehigh in the last game of the year. It is college's most played rivalry you know... :D

Saint3333
August 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
The playing of the Olympic Theme before every ASU kickoff and a more recent tradition of striking a bell prior to our opponents 3rd down, really gets the crowd up.

gsuwinsudont
August 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Didn't hear much of that GSU stuff the last time i was down there as we beat them on their homecoming.

The Corps marching down Hagood ave to the Stadium. The band playing "Dixie". The Cannon fire. that's Citadel Football.

Didnt hear too much cannon fire last season against gsu. Unless you were listening to our Offence march up and down the field that is. ;)

bluehenbillk
August 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
The UD marching band going under the West Stands before each home game & the horn section running up & down the stands in the 3rd quarter playing "First Down". A close second is beating UMass every year.

Eagle_77
August 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
The earlier topic posted by Ralph got me to thinking, which is painful I must admit.

I am interested to know what are some of your school's favorite traditions.

At GSU, the players ride to the stadium on two dilapidated yellow school busses that have been in use since the Erk era. There's also the "Whose House? Our House!" and the "Georgia" "Southern" cheers where one side of the stadium yells to the other.

There are several more but I'll let my GSU friends elaborate. What are yours?

A funny thing about the buses you talked about. When Paul Johnson took over the program in 97 he switched the buses to the same charter buses we travel to away games in. That lasted 2 games before the players committee went to him and asked for the "Valley Buses" back. The players start singing the Valley Song about half way to the stadium and the buses are named for that reason.

Traditions that I still wished we did was taking the water from Beautiful Eagle Creek and pour it on the other teams field. That was pretty cool.

foghorn
August 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.udel.edu/main/tour/onlyatdelaware.html (http://www.udel.edu/main/tour/onlyatdelaware.html)

After a home victory, the Victory Bell tolls. Scroll down to Victory Bell. Go Hens!

Pen Guin
August 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
http://www.ysupenguins.com/spgm/gal/Penguin%20Football/_thb_abteam.jpg

Spider: the marching you mentioned is the "hive' or "swarm". It was started by DC Heacock years ago. His defenses used to take the field in it & then the entire team began the tradition. It is always led by the person awarded the #1 jersey (most respected player). It symbolizes team unity, control, and trust; as when your arms are locked, you must think and act as a single unit.

sceagle
August 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM
The students who went to the basketball game at Davidson last year took some Eagle Creek water. It didn't help much so after the game we poured it onto a tree in their parking lot while an old lady stared at us. I think she thought we were going to burn the place down.

Eagle_77
August 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
The students who went to the basketball game at Davidson last year took some Eagle Creek water. It didn't help much so after the game we poured it onto a tree in their parking lot while an old lady stared at us. I think she thought we were going to burn the place down.

Did you guys sprinkle any on the floor before the game?

OL FU
August 23rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
The insanely dangerous G-S-U scramble!!

And the " TO Hell with Furman" cheer.

I love that cheer :)

but my guess is you guys could get in trouble with the EPA for sprinkling that creek water on less contaminated soil. ;)

OL FU
August 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately my favorite no longer occurs. The cheer occurs but the delivery has changed. Back when Furman was a Baptist school, the school president (Dr John Johns (Yeah I know)) would leave the press box at the end of the third quarter to lead the FU ONE TIME cheer either to celebrate the pending victory or to fire up the troops to make a come back. For those who don't know, the Cheer is FU 1 time, FU 2 times, FU 3 times FU all the time. Pretty tame right. Well not for a Baptist College. After all the games, the little old Baptist ladies would write letters to Dr Johns asking him to refrain from leading obscene cheers. Dr. Johns would always respond that he did not have a clue what they were talking about but if they would elaborate he would be more than happy to consider their request. No self respecting Baptist little old lady was willing to translate what FU meant to the good doctor.

The little joys in life in a religious institution.

MR. CHICKEN
August 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
MAH FAVORITE TRADITON....WINNIN'.....JES' WINNIN'!.....:nod:.....BRAWK!

soweagle
August 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
OL FU, that story cracked me up. I can picture many grannies I know who would never elaborate enough to respond.

GreatAppSt
August 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
A bi annual tradition I have come to grow fond of is reading some GSU posters complaint about their trip to KBS. How some nasty Mountaineer fan/s cused out one of their tenderlings,somehow always claimed to be between seven and ten years old. I've come to believe this child has been the same age for the last ten years. ;)

ngineer
August 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately my favorite no longer occurs. The cheer occurs but the delivery has changed. Back when Furman was a Baptist school, the school president (Dr John Johns (Yeah I know)) would leave the press box at the end of the third quarter to lead the FU ONE TIME cheer either to celebrate the pending victory or to fire up the troops to make a come back. For those who don't know, the Cheer is FU 1 time, FU 2 times, FU 3 times FU all the time. Pretty tame right. Well not for a Baptist College. After all the games, the little old Baptist ladies would write letters to Dr Johns asking him to refrain from leading obscene cheers. Dr. Johns would always respond that he did not have a clue what they were talking about but if they would elaborate he would be more than happy to consider their request. No self respecting Baptist little old lady was willing to translate what FU meant to the good doctor.

The little joys in life in a religious institution.

That really got me laughing because I use the initials "FU" on many of my memos to my staff to "follow up" on certain matters. Many years ago one of my new secretaries came in and asked if she had done something wrong. I asked her why and she noted the initials. I asked her what she thought it meant, and she blushed and couldn't expain. I told her when I started writing 'FY'--then she was deep trouble. 20 years later, on my 50th birthday, the staff bought me an engraved desk set and clock that read, "FU with another great 50" :D

Cocky
August 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
My favorites from JSU are:
The Cheerleaders and Band Marching thru the tailgating area
The Southerners playing Dixie
The Southerners signing I'll fly away
Smell of bourbon on my breath

JaxSinfonian
August 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Most of mine are related to the band:

1. "I'll Fly Away" - Chill bumps every time. (Sure would be neat to hear the whole stadium join in with the Southerners at the end of a game, huh?)

2. Random shouts of "Whup Troy!" as the band takes the field ... even if we're playing Emporia State ... or anytime the band is performing anywhere ... three years after Troy moved to I-A.

3. Singing along with "Quilting Party." This is another one I'd like to see the whole stadium learn. Listen here (http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/quiltingparty.mp3). We need a jumbotron badly. Lyrics should go something like this:
In the sky, the bright stars glittered
On the banks the pale moon shone
It was from Aunt Dinah's quilting party
I was seeing Nellie home.

Except instead of the original lyrics, for the last line much of the band sings a very different verb and location, and inserts a random name - so it becomes, for example: "I was banging Troy State's hole."

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
I like a tradition that has started more recently at Lafayette. Every year we beat Lehigh in the last game of the year. It is college's most played rivalry you know... :D

You're reaching with that one. 2 outta 3 ain't bad, however Lafayette has only won 4 times against LU in the last 15 years. Lafayette certaintly does not have history on it's side against LU at Goodman. 1 win in 1989 and 3-17 overall in the last 20 meetings at Lehigh. For the most part it's been a pretty lopsided series the last 20-25 years.

ngineer
August 24th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah, when I was a freshman, we were about 25 games behind Lafayette. Now it's down to 9. Should catch 'em in about 10 years. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah, when I was a freshman, we were about 25 games behind Lafayette. Now it's down to 9. Should catch 'em in about 10 years. :D

The one thing i can say with confidence is Lehigh will never be where Lafayette was 5-6 years ago. There is too strong of an alumni presence for this program to fall into a state of prolonged mediocrity. Lehigh has most resources in the PL, G-Town has the name recognition but they have been struggling finacially according to many of their posters. What Biddle has done up in Hamilton has been remarkable. To be able to recruit quality, intelligent athletes at Colgate is impressive. Sometime i often wonder what "Mr. Colgate" thought when he was looking for a somewhere to build a place of higher education. Hamilton, NY would not have been my choice that's for sure, especially in 1812, there couldn't have been more than 75 people within 50 miles back of the school back then.

Killtoppers90
August 24th, 2005, 06:31 AM
The one tradition that I love to see at WKU is our (Kappa Sigma's - my frat's) cannon that fires after every score! It always seems to surprise people when it goes off even though they know it is gonna happen. Nothing better than a huge BOOM after a WKU touchdown to shock the crowd and the opponents on the sidelines.

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM
You're reaching with that one. 2 outta 3 ain't bad, however Lafayette has only won 4 times against LU in the last 15 years. Lafayette certaintly does not have history on it's side against LU at Goodman. 1 win in 1989 and 3-17 overall in the last 20 meetings at Lehigh. For the most part it's been a pretty lopsided series the last 20-25 years.

Yeah, yeah Goodman Smoodman...check the overall scoreboard. You have a way to go yet.

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM
The one thing i can say with confidence is Lehigh will never be where Lafayette was 5-6 years ago. There is too strong of an alumni presence for this program to fall into a state of prolonged mediocrity. Lehigh has most resources in the PL, G-Town has the name recognition but they have been struggling finacially according to many of their posters. What Biddle has done up in Hamilton has been remarkable. To be able to recruit quality, intelligent athletes at Colgate is impressive. Sometime i often wonder what "Mr. Colgate" thought when he was looking for a somewhere to build a place of higher education. Hamilton, NY would not have been my choice that's for sure, especially in 1812, there couldn't have been more than 75 people within 50 miles back of the school back then.

Never say never. All it takes is one jerk president to make an ill-conceived, half baked comment like, "maybe we ought to investigate DIII" to wreak absolute havoc on a football team. Lehigh has been lucky to have an administration who understands the importance of a well rounded university and the part athletics play to achieve that goal. I am quite confident that Art Rothkopf and his merry band of morons on the faculty and board had very little concept of the subtleties of recruiting and the devastation his remarks would cause. Thank god he is gone and, from all indications, our new pres. seems to be MUCH more receptive to keeping Lafayette competitive in the league and in the nation. Onward and upward!

Pard94
August 24th, 2005, 07:21 AM
The one tradition that I love to see at WKU is our (Kappa Sigma's - my frat's) cannon that fires after every score! It always seems to surprise people when it goes off even though they know it is gonna happen. Nothing better than a huge BOOM after a WKU touchdown to shock the crowd and the opponents on the sidelines.

They would never let my fraternity have a cannon.

gsuwinsudont
August 24th, 2005, 08:22 AM
A bi annual tradition I have come to grow fond of is reading some GSU posters complaint about their trip to KBS. How some nasty Mountaineer fan/s cused out one of their tenderlings,somehow always claimed to be between seven and ten years old. I've come to believe this child has been the same age for the last ten years. ;)

You know its funny we have the same tradition reguarding your fans too? You think it might be the same family complaining about both sides? ;)

McNeese75
August 24th, 2005, 08:40 AM
They would never let my fraternity have a cannon.

:lmao:

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
DUH FLY OVERAH.......AT DUH NAVAL ACADEMY!......:).........AWK!

ngineer
August 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Can you imagine if Lehigh were started where Asa Packer originally intended--in what was, then, Mauch Chunk (now Jim Thorpe)? Talk about in the middle of nothing...

Baltimore Hen
August 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
my favorite tradition is the visiting teams excitement to play in front of people at Delaware stadium since their home crowds usually amount to friends and family......... :D

the Mondoe cheer was great for the past few years.

my other favorite tradition is sellouts........

Another favorite is WCU........ok, not really..... :bang:

One I wish we could change is sousaphones, the superman song at kickoffs, and no gating after kickoff.

What I would like to see more of is a GO BLUE, GO GOLD cheer between the east and west stands and things of that nature.

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
GO BLUE!........GO GOLD!.....AH LIKE IT...AH LIKE IT!...........ER..UH...UM..AWK!

KINDA LIKE.....WE ARE.....BLUE-GOLD!.....WE ARE....BLUE-GOLD!......YA'LL START IT AT DUH LEHIGH DEBACLE....AN' AH'LL FOLLOW!.........ERRR..AWK!

:p :D :rolleyes: :nod: :cool: :confused: ;) :) :o :eek: :rotateh: :xmas: :beerchug: :read: :hurray: :nono: :bawling: :nonono2: xazzx xsmoochx xbdayx

bluehenbillk
August 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
NO!! Don't go back to that. Years ago they tried to get one side to yell "Blue" and the other side "Hens", and it was BAAAAADDD.

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM
OK!............ON SECOND THOUGHT!....................AWK!

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 25th, 2005, 12:35 AM
there are so many.
Southern band going to every game home or away no matter how far the trip is.
Stay after the game sometimes for hours and watch the Southern Band"HumanJukebox" battle the opposing band.
http://www.humanjukebox.com/PA060003.JPG

http://www.humanjukebox.com/PA060008.JPG

http://www.humanjukebox.com/PA060001.JPG

Fans line the streets leading to the band hall after the game and watch the band march from the stadium.

Taigaiting home or away.

Southern having more fans than the home team in its own stadium.

All Southern fans dressed in Blue and gold.

Just a few.

citdog
August 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM
my favorite tradition is southern playing for a fake 'national championship"

i wonder who picks up all the fake hair lying around after the game?

Baltimore Hen
August 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
NO!! Don't go back to that. Years ago they tried to get one side to yell "Blue" and the other side "Hens", and it was BAAAAADDD.

well bill,

what do you suggest? something needs to be done. the crowd needs to get into the game other than when they boo the officials. go blue............. go gold would be great. blue.................... hens would be great. we need something that will disrupt the opponent. right now there is nothing.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM

What are you talking about. Get a life. Jealousy got you hating for no reason. What fake hair. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Catmendue2
August 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Yo Momma! ;)

89Hen
August 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
It's only bad if it doesn't work. If it does, it would be awesome. :nod:

gsu6trophies
August 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
the players at GSU have recently started a new thing. After big wins, like the one over Furman in 03, the players climb into the student section and celebrate. I think it shows a lot of respect and appreciation of the students by the players. I wish GSU would bring back "one more time." that was pretty fun. I also hope we get another shot at new hampshire.

Eagle_77
August 25th, 2005, 01:48 PM
the players at GSU have recently started a new thing. After big wins, like the one over Furman in 03, the players climb into the student section and celebrate. I think it shows a lot of respect and appreciation of the students by the players. I wish GSU would bring back "one more time." that was pretty fun. I also hope we get another shot at new hampshire.

First I remeber that being done is in 97 when we beat App St for homecomming to win the SC championship the year after our 1st and only losing season.

bigbluetiger
August 25th, 2005, 02:21 PM
The Aristocrat of Bands playing "Im So Glad I Go To TSU" (www.tsutigers.com) and forming the T-S-U script (see my avatar) on the field at the end of every halftime show. The 2nd half of the game is known as "Club TSU" where all the students and band members have party in the endzone seats. Frats/Sororities "steppin" up and down the aisles. Finally, the TSU Funk which is a tuba baseline song where the crowd chant's TS, TS, TS U

ChiefGSU275
August 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I remember at the GSU-Furman game in 97 the players did that. That was only my second GSU game that I can remember attending. I actually sat on the home side, and it was COLD in the shade from teh press boxes.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Here is another picture I found of the fans watching the Southern University"Human Jukebox" play after the game.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/213595423/213627860cgccvc

DemiGS
August 27th, 2005, 02:29 AM
my favorite tradition is the visiting teams excitement to play in front of people at Delaware stadium since their home crowds usually amount to friends and family......... :D

the Mondoe cheer was great for the past few years.

my other favorite tradition is sellouts........

Another favorite is WCU........ok, not really..... :bang:

One I wish we could change is sousaphones, the superman song at kickoffs, and no gating after kickoff.

What I would like to see more of is a GO BLUE, GO GOLD cheer between the east and west stands and things of that nature.

Yeah.....I'm thinking GSU has the whole 'call and reply' chant locked down for I-AA. Even if there are only two GSU fans on site, I'll bet you hear one ask "Whose House?!?"