PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, surprise. Montana picked to win Sky.

Ronbo
July 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Montana got 8 of 9 Coaches votes and all 33 media votes. A Coach can't vote for their own team so Hauck gave MSU some love.

2007 Coaches Poll

Team (First-place votes) Points
1. Montana (8) 64
2. Portland State 55
3. Montana State (1) 47
4. Northern Arizona 42
5. Eastern Washington 41
6. Weber State 23
7. Sacramento State 22
8. Idaho State 21
9. Northern Colorado 8

2007 MEDIA POLL

Team (First-place votes) Points
1. Montana (33) 297
2. Portland State 237
3. Northern Arizona 192
4. Montana State 190
5. Eastern Washington 166
6. Weber State 143
7. Sacramento State 89
8. Idaho State 86
9. Northern Colorado 43

The University of Montana is a heavy favorite to win the 2007 Big Sky Conference football championship.

Montana was picked first by both the media and the coaches in the league’s preseason polls, receiving all but one first-place vote. The polls were released Monday at the Summer Kickoff in Park City, Utah.

Montana was an unanimous selection in the coaches poll, earning all of the possible eight first-place votes and 64 total points. Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team. Montana received all 33 first-place votes in the media poll and 297 total points.

Montana, coached by Bobby Hauck, finished 12-2 last season, earning a ninth straight conference title with an 8-0 league mark. Montana advanced to the Division I Football Championship for a record 14th consecutive season, falling in the semifinals to UMass. The Grizzlies have won or shared nine straight and 12 of the last 14 Big Sky Conference titles. The Grizzlies return 18 starters and 54 lettermen from the 2006 team.

Article (http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=86461)

CopperCat
July 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
They should just keep this story on file and release it every year. This is not news to anybody.

Ronbo
July 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM
In 2005 we were not picked by either the Coaches or the Media. I think we came in 2nd to EWU in both that year.

CopperCat
July 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM
In 2005 we were not picked by either the Coaches or the Media. I think we came in 2nd to EWU in both that year.

Then both the media and the coaches were smoking dope before they case their votes.

Like I said, just keep a copy of this article on file. That way the media won't have to waste its time by writing another one every year that says virtually the same thing.xcoffeex

Its a new season. Anything can happen. See you on the 17th.

FTC
July 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Then both the media and the coaches were smoking dope before they case their votes.

Like I said, just keep a copy of this article on file. That way the media won't have to waste its time by writing another one every year that says virtually the same thing.xcoffeex

Yeah and I agree if they were smoking dope they probaly got it from one of your players.

Grizalltheway
July 17th, 2007, 12:44 AM

I believe we heard that last year...xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Tod
July 17th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah and I agree if they were smoking dope they probaly got it from one of your players.

Oooooh! Pretty cocky for a first post! xeyebrowx

Welcome.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Why? Do you know a guy? :D

Jackass.

GrizzlyEdd
July 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM

If you wanna talk smack then take it to another board... oh, by the way, it is "probably.... not probaly"..... now go play with the kids and be nicexlolx

Bobcat in NC
July 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Not at all a surprise, and exactly the way I would have picked it (the coaches poll, at least). For just that reason, there is absolutely no chance the standings will look like this at the end of the year. I've never been that right...

andy7171
July 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Nice first post! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CopperCat
July 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I believe we heard that last year...xrolleyesx xcoffeex

And you barely escaped. If the CB had been there to knock that pass away, who knows what the outcome would have been. Spare me that "We heard that last year" junk.xwhistlex

Mort
July 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
The Griz better hope Hilliard stays healthy so they can pound the ball with him because I think qb will be their achilles heel (no pun intended) this year.

Hauck is now forced to start Berquist by virtue of him being named the preseason first team Big Sky qb (no, Bobby won't ignore that and name someone else the starter to begin the season even if the results of preseason camp dictate he do so. He'll go with Berquist).

Berquist won't get tested until conference starts due to the weak ooc schedule and by then it'll be awful late to bring in a completely inexperienced backup so the Griz will go with Berquist all year barring injury. If Berquist performs to even an average level and Hilliard stays healthy, the Griz will be at least a semi-final team again. If Hilliard goes down again, they better hope Berquist can carry the load. I don't think he can.

Ronbo
July 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I just don't know why we keep getting bashed about the 3 games we have to start the season. Southern Utah returns 17 starters and beat Texas State last year, and took Cal Poly, South Dakota State, and McNeese to the gun before losing. Ask those fans about Southern Utah. Albany returns 18 starters and beat Delaware last season and they are looking to have a big season in 2007.

The only gimme game is Fort Lewis. Doesn't every school on the East Coast have a Div. II game?

Ronbo
July 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The Griz better hope Hilliard stays healthy so they can pound the ball with him because I think qb will be their achilles heel (no pun intended) this year.

Hauck is now forced to start Berquist by virtue of him being named the preseason first team Big Sky qb (no, Bobby won't ignore that and name someone else the starter to begin the season even if the results of preseason camp dictate he do so. He'll go with Berquist).

Berquist won't get tested until conference starts due to the weak ooc schedule and by then it'll be awful late to bring in a completely inexperienced backup so the Griz will go with Berquist all year barring injury. If Berquist performs to even an average level and Hilliard stays healthy, the Griz will be at least a semi-final team again. If Hilliard goes down again, they better hope Berquist can carry the load. I don't think he can.

Bergquist tore up #22 South Dakota State last season 36-7 passing for 256 yards and rushing for 55 yards. Without Hilliard. 50% of Griz nation wanted Bergquist as starter last year over Swogger.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I just don't know why we keep getting bashed about the 3 games we have to start the season. Southern Utah returns 17 starters and beat Texas State last year, and took Cal Poly, South Dakota State, and McNeese to the gun before losing. Ask those fans about Southern Utah. Albany returns 18 starters and beat Delaware last season and they are looking to have a big season in 2007.

The only gimme game is Fort Lewis. Doesn't every school on the East Coast have a Div. II game?

Don't make legitimate points Ronbo. Once you do that then everyone will realize the rest of the Big Sky is basically a D-II league and no good team has ever come in to Wash-Griz ;)

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I just don't know why we keep getting bashed about the 3 games we have to start the season.
Could it be that they're ALL AT HOME??? Typical UM, pay not to travel. Pathetic.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Could it be that they're ALL AT HOME??? Typical UM, pay not to travel. Pathetic.

Make more $ at home. That's good business. Besides, we usually have plenty of OOC road games (Iowa, Oregon, SHSU, Maine, Cal Poly, Hawaii, Hofstra, Idaho, etc).

Are you saying we can't play on the road? I think Vik fans of all should know that we can. ;)

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Are you saying we can't play on the road? Well who would really know. Of late you're too used to paying off teams not to do home and home. Let's see CP last year, Albany this year. And D2. What's the point with that? Unless Carroll was already booked. xcoolx

UM reminds me of a 25 year old in high school still.

Tailbone
July 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM

SUU will likely end the season with no wins.
Does that mean they are a lousy team, have a difficult schedule, or a combination of both - last seasons performance (not record) might provide a clue. Is Albany a bad team? Some folks are picking Albany to be a dark horse team this year. Ft.Lewis is DivII - I bet no other FCS team has a D-II team on their schedule.

Travel? Look at previous seasons.
Deep throat gives good advice.....if you don't understand something, follow the money.

The only thing worse than an inability to THINK, is the refusal to do so.

Pathetic indeed.

(the "nuts" emoticon is inadequate....where's the one for "moron")

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Well who would really know. Of late you're too used to paying off teams not to do home and home. Let's see CP last year, Albany this year. And D2. What's the point with that? Unless Carroll was already booked. xcoolx

UM reminds me of a 25 year old in high school still.

Albany was not a home and home so I'm not sure where you got that.

I don't really know what the story with CP was but we've played down there several times in the past I don't know why we wouldn't now.

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
SUU will likely end the season with no wins.
Does that mean they are a lousy team, have a difficult schedule, or a combination of both - last seasons performance (not record) might provide a clue. Is Albany a bad team? Some folks are picking Albany to be a dark horse team this year. Ft.Lewis is DivII - I bet no other FCS team has a D-II team on their schedule.

Travel? Look at previous seasons.
Deep throat gives good advice.....if you don't understand something, follow the money.

The only thing worse than an inability to THINK, is the refusal to do so.

Pathetic indeed.

(the "nuts" emoticon is inadequate....where's the one for "moron")
That's one of the weakest arguments I've ever read. xcoffeex

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Made sense to me.

Well, back to kissing Jerry's @$$ then for you huh?

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Made sense to me.

Well, back to kissing Jerry's @$$ then for you huh?
Ouch. Was that supposed to hurt? Again you play all home OOC games and try to justify D2 by saying others do the same. Great logic. UM logic. As in "Ummm...your OOC is really weak this year."

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Ouch. Was that supposed to hurt? Again you play all home OOC games and try to justify D2 by saying others do the same. Great logic. UM logic. As in "Ummm...your OOC is really weak this year."

The Viks have no way of smacking the Griz since they play second or third fiddle to the Griz year after year. Your smack is weak

As in "ummm...your OOC is really weak this year"

By the way others do play D2 at home and again we make a hell of alot more $$$$. As a building program, I hope you'd understand

Tailbone
July 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM

What argument?

You base your perception of the quality of a schedule on nothing more than conjecture, ignoring past indicators that might suggest a different conclusion than your fantasy allows.....and then criticise the "argument" as weak?

Sounds more like a weak mind.

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
The Viks have no way of smacking the Griz since they play second or third fiddle to the Griz year after year. Your smack is weak

As in "ummm...your OOC is really weak this year"

By the way others do play D2 at home and again we make a hell of alot more $$$$. As a building program, I hope you'd understandA lot is two words of course. I'll assume you're a UM grad and not UO.

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
What argument?

You base your perception of the quality of a schedule on nothing more than conjecture, ignoring past indicators that might suggest a different conclusion than your fantasy allows.....and then criticise the "argument" as weak?

Sounds more like a weak mind.Your OOC schedule in 07 is weak. End of story.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
A lot is two words of course. I'll assume you're a UM grad and not UO.

Wow correcting my grammar - that's what this has resulted to. Is all that all you have left?

By the way, don't forget to insert a comma before a quote. I noticed you slipped up back there. ;)

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Wow correcting my grammar - that's what this has resulted to. Is all that all you have left?

By the way, don't forget to insert a comma before a quote. I noticed you slipped up back there. ;)Well it seems to be the natural flow here - point out weak OOC's and then get mired in "your coach is an idiot" and "you can't spell correctly" retorts.

Ronbo
July 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Now you other Big Sky posters need to remember to pay respect to your parent. Now let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy? I can't hear you, who's your Daddy? Speak up I still can't hear you, who's your Daddy? That's right Montana is your Daddy." Now behave!xsmiley_wix

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Well given, as I said prior, UM is like a 25 year old in high school still, then there is a good chance you are indeed someone's daddy.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well it seems to be the natural flow here - point out weak OOC's and then get mired in "your coach is an idiot" and "you can't spell correctly" retorts.

Misquoting too. Tsk tsk. I never made the statement: "Your coach is an idiot."

The basis of the humor here: smacking against our OOC schedule just because Montana beats you on a regular basis is pathetic.

By the way, you don't need to put an apostrophe in a plural such as OOCs.

Come on, don't tell me your a fellow Duck.... :D

Tailbone
July 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Economics 101

Using a consumer oriented business as a model:

1. Acquire funds to invest in your business (this can be accomplished by borrowing, but I prefer the "pay yourself first" philosophy). Save 10% of all you earn for your initial investment.

2. Find a need, and fill it (this is how you get "customers") - for a profit.

3. Re-invest the profit at the highest rate of return as is prudently possible. Don't spend, re-invest in growth.

4. The easiest customers to sell to are current customers. Don't waste time or money attempting to sell to those who will never be customers.
(and certainly, don't spend money in a foolish attempt to appease those who will never be customers). As a side note - the time to re-evaluate your business strategy is when you start losing customers.

5. Enjoy your retirement.

Now, print this. Read this every day and follow the steps.
Maybe, in about 20 years, you'll understand why UM does what it does.
Worst case...a look at your bank account (sometime in the future) may finally drive home the point.

I often wondered why they didn't teach life-skills in school - then it became obvious. Educated sheep are harder to shear (note the spelling of the word "shear" - you're never too old to learn something)....and, you can't teach a stump, regardless.

Seriously, This is the most important post you will read here.
Learn how life works, develop an educated strategy of personal finance, and execute your strategy.

With a little thought, you will realize that the University of Montana is executing the strategy that currently makes the most sense.

laxVik
July 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Come on, don't tell me your a fellow Duck.... :D
laxDuk. OL site 7 years strong. This is not about PSU. We're talkin' about UM's lousy 2007 OOC. I'd agree with most everything you'd have to say about PSU so there's really no point.

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Honest question... why do you BSC folk take offense when people say it's "Montana and the others" in the Big Sky?

Proud Griz Man
July 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Your OOC schedule in 07 is weak. End of story.

OK lax, go check the scores from the Grizzly wins at Portland, and you'll soon realize the Vikes can't protect their own turf. As a Portland State fan, you have no solid ground to criticize UM. xlolx

Proud Griz Man
July 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Honest question... why do you BSC folk take offense when people say it's "Montana and the others" in the Big Sky?

I can't speak for others, but I don't think many people understand the difficulty of winning road games in the BSC because of the lengthy travel and the fact that the Griz always have a target on their back (i.e. everyone's top rival). xcoolx

Now, why do Hen fans bristle when asked why they copied Michigan's helmet? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Hijack alert.

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Surprise, surprise. Montana picked to win Sky

They should just keep this story on file and release it every year. This is not news to anybody.

Hijack alert.
xconfusedx Seems as though the topic and conversation is that Montana is favored to win the Big Sky every year. But heaven forbid somebody from outside the BSC bring it up. xrolleyesx

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I can't speak for others, but I don't think many people understand the difficulty of winning road games in the BSC because of the lengthy travel and the fact that the Griz always have a target on their back (i.e. everyone's top rival). xcoolx

Now, why do Hen fans bristle when asked why they copied Michigan's helmet? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Doesn't answer the question.

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
xconfusedx Seems as though the topic and conversation is that Montana is favored to win the Big Sky every year. But heaven forbid somebody from outside the BSC bring it up. xrolleyesx

You mean "Big Fluffy" right

smoke and mirrors 89, I'm not new here

xrotatehx

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM
You mean "Big Fluffy" right
Only on the smack board. ;)

Proud Griz Man
July 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Doesn't answer the question.

That is my answer, it is just not the answer you wanted. xnodx

cats2506
July 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Your OOC schedule in 07 is weak. End of story.

I Agree, they know it and we know it, just that fizzl pride wont let them admit it.

Have fun boys you first real game is sept 29th

Ronbo
July 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I Agree, they know it and we know it, just that fizzl pride wont let them admit it.

Our first real game is November 24th. The games preceeding that are just practice and scrimmages. The real season starts in late November for the Griz every year. You guys look to be watching on TV this year with PSU and Montana moving on.xlolx xnodx xnodx xlolx

already123
July 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM
anyone as suprised as I was when I saw that UNC was picked last?!

DuckDuckGriz
July 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM

You never know -

Ft. Lewis could be our Chadron State xeekx

GOKATS
July 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Now you other Big Sky posters need to remember to pay respect to your parent. Now let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy? I can't hear you, who's your Daddy? Speak up I still can't hear you, who's your Daddy? That's right Montana is your Daddy." Now behave!xsmiley_wix

My Dad (RIP) was not a f'ing idiot in dark pink.xnodx

Tailbone
July 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM
My Dad (RIP) was not a f'ing idiot in dark pink.xnodx

I knew your dad.
He preferred Liberace suits.

:D

catbob
July 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Because MSU has shared the conference title 3 times in the last 5 years and made the playoffs 3 times in the same last 5 years.

Now the other schools, I don't know. :)

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM
That is my answer, it is just not the answer you wanted. xnodx
xconfusedx The answer to why it's OK for Montana fans and other BSC fans to say it's Montana's conference is that road games are tough for Montana and that Delaware stole Michigans helmet? xeyebrowx

89Hen
July 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Because MSU has shared the conference title 3 times in the last 5 years and made the playoffs 3 times in the same last 5 years.

Now the other schools, I don't know. :)
Ahhh, correct you are. A much better answer than what the Griz fans were offering. xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
July 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry all, I'm late coming in on this thread.

Has anyone claimed "East Coast Bias" yet? That's my answer: east coast bias! Now, what was the question?

Tod
July 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Only on the smack board. ;)

I didn't realize that. I feel better. :) :) :) :)

Got to pay more attention to my AGS location! :o

eagle1
July 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Granted we struggled to 3-8 last year but EWU held their own in the playoffs the last couple of years. In 2004, we knocked off #1 SIU on the road and lost a heartbreaker the following week at home to Sam Houston. We followed that up with a hard fought loss at UNI which was runner up in 2005. So I think the Big Sky is more than Montana and Montana State. Go Eagles!!!

CopperCat
July 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM

You'd better watch where you say that kind of stuff. The "hit squad" from the Cats' might come over there and put an end to your smacking.......

Grizalltheway
July 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/44/Hayguysshark.jpg

Seriously though, those of you who think no Griz fan will admit that we have a relatively weak OOC are just plain wrong. You should have seen some of the threads about it over on eGriz when the schedule came out. Yes, SUU and Ft. Lewis are pretty much cupcakes, but Albany have a tough squad that, as somebody already mentioned, beat Delaware last year. And, last time I checked this wasn't FBS, OOC strength of schedule doesn't have much to do with what happens in the post-season.

Tod
July 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Granted we struggled to 3-8 last year but EWU held their own in the playoffs the last couple of years. In 2004, we knocked off #1 SIU on the road and lost a heartbreaker the following week at home to Sam Houston. We followed that up with a hard fought loss at UNI which was runner up in 2005. So I think the Big Sky is more than Montana and Montana State. Go Eagles!!!

AND played UNI as close as anyone other than ASU (you basically gave the game away) AND are the only team that had to play UNI in the Fabulous UNI-Dome (the others had home-field advantage).

That could have been EWU playing ASU in Chatty. :( :( :(

Tod
July 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/44/Hayguysshark.jpg

Seriously though, those of you who think no Griz fan will admit that we have a relatively weak OOC are just plain wrong. You should have seen some of the threads about it over on eGriz when the schedule came out. Yes, SUU and Ft. Lewis are pretty much cupcakes, but Albany have a tough squad that, as somebody already mentioned, beat Delaware last year. And, last time I checked this wasn't FBS, OOC strength of schedule doesn't have much to do with what happens in the post-season.

Don't write off Albany. They're a good team! xnonox

Wait until December, when they're all whining that we won our third NC because of our weak OOC schedule.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

CopperCat
July 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Don't write off Albany. They're a good team! xnonox

Wait until December, when they're all whining that we won our third NC because of our weak OOC schedule.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

bookmarked

Tod
July 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
bookmarked

Good! Bookmark the NC, the part about our weak OOC was a joke, I hope you realize. :)

Although, you never know...maybe, just MAYBE, someone will say that.

:D :D :D

already123
July 17th, 2007, 11:41 PM
wow...

Proud Griz Man
July 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
xconfusedx The answer to why it's OK for Montana fans and other BSC fans to say it's Montana's conference is that road games are tough for Montana and that Delaware stole Michigans helmet? xeyebrowx

You don't understand? xchinscratchx

The basic root of your question is "Why do you take offense when ..." essentially implying that the BSC is a really lame conference.

And I answered that you and some others don't understand how difficult the road games are in the BSC and Montana is the top rival (interest is high throughout the BSC and attendance at the Montana game is often 3K to 4K higher than next highest attendance). A win against UM is cause for crowds rushing the field (e.g. MSU and ISU). I don't have to explain that UM has a big home field advantage and is a favorite at home. But I thought it was important to mention the difficult travel. I am guessing that Montana's trip to Flagstaff is roughly equivalent to UD's mileage for an entire year of CAA/A-10 conference road games (I have traveled across most of the eastern seaboard and New England).

OBTW, the Michigan helmet thing is completely unrelated to answering your question (hence the two returns and new paragraph). xlolx

JALMOND
July 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Obviously Glanville knows some things about the Big Sky, picking the Griz to finish first. I just want to know, 56 would have been a sweep of second place for the Viks. I want to know which coach thinks the Viks are not the second best team (7 2nd place and 1 3rd place).

Anyway, fair assessment for now. Griz should be #1, Viks #2 and Cats #3. The media tends to overexamine things in all respect.

CopperCat
July 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Obviously Glanville knows some things about the Big Sky, picking the Griz to finish first. I just want to know, 56 would have been a sweep of second place for the Viks. I want to know which coach thinks the Viks are not the second best team (7 2nd place and 1 3rd place).

Anyway, fair assessment for now. Griz should be #1, Viks #2 and Cats #3. The media tends to overexamine things in all respect.

Somebody who barely knew anything about the BSC would pick UM first. It doesn't take much to see that.

And the last I checked, PSU still hadn't played a game yet this year, didn't make the playoffs lasty year, was beaten by MSU, and didn't win the conference. Why is it that you think PSU deserves all this respect when they didn't do enough last year? Yes, this has all been said before, but apparently it needed to be said again.

already123
July 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Somebody who barely knew anything about the BSC would pick UM first. It doesn't take much to see that.

And the last I checked, PSU still hadn't played a game yet this year, didn't make the playoffs lasty year, was beaten by MSU, and didn't win the conference. Why is it that you think PSU deserves all this respect when they didn't do enough last year? Yes, this has all been said before, but apparently it needed to be said again.

Very true....

I'll say it again as well!xrulesx xrulesx

Grizalltheway
July 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM

And apparently you've forgotten they played 3 FBS teams last year.xrulesx If they had only played one, they surely would have had a better record and gotten in over MSU. xnodx

Proud Griz Man
July 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
xcoolx

Griz picked to win Big Sky
By CHRIS GABEL Sun Sports Staff Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Montana has won or shared nine straight Big Sky Conference football titles and 12 of the past 14, so it was no surprise the Grizzlies were again picked to win a championship. Coach Bobby Hauck's team garnered all 33 first-place votes in the media poll and 8-of-9 in the coaches poll it was announced Monday at the conference's Summer Kickoff in Park City, Utah. Coaches are not permitted to vote for their own team.

"They're a great team. We're fortunate to have a team like that in our conference," said NAU's Blair Boynton, the Lumberjacks player representative at the two-day event. NAU finished third in the media poll with 192 points, 45 behind Portland State and two ahead of Montana State, and fourth in the coaches poll, five points back of MSU, which earned the only other first-place vote. The Lumberjacks were picked seventh in both polls prior to last season before finishing fourth with a 6-3 Big Sky mark. "Those things come out every year. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong," Boynton said. "It's a good spot that we're in because we can impress people when we win."

The flip-flop of the Lumberjacks and Bobcats was the lone difference between the two polls. Eastern Washington, Weber State, Sacramento State, Idaho State and Northern Colorado rounded out Nos. 5-9 in both surveys. The first four in the coaches poll mirrored the final standings from 2006, when both Montana schools qualified for the postseason. Also announced Monday was the Big Sky preseason all-conference team. Representing NAU was wide receiver Alex Watson, one of seven unanimous selections, tight end Shaun Fitzpatrick and cornerbacks K.J. Gerard and Ricky Wilson.

Watson also was announced as a preseason All-American by the College Sporting News. The senior is a likely Walter Payton Award candidate after making 82 catches for 1,017 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2006. His reception and touchdown totals were single-season school records.
The Lumberjacks' bugaboo last season was its pass defense, but the media members who selected the preseason all-conference team apparently do not think that will be a problem in 2007. Wilson was a second-team all-conference choice after last year, his first at NAU, despite being out nearly three full games with a hamstring injury while Gerard missed 10 games after suffering a wrist injury in the season opener at ASU. "We do have great corners," Boynton said. "Part of that is they have the opportunity to go against great wide receivers in practice every day." Montana placed nine players on the team, anchored by All-American defensive end Kroy Biermann, while Portland State had five players selected. Day 2 of the event will feature all nine head coaches, including four set to begin their first season -- Jerry Glanville at Portland State, Rob Ash at Montana State, Marshall Sperbeck at Sacramento State and John Zamberlin at Idaho State.

Chris Gabel can be reached at [email protected]

89Hen
July 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM
but Albany have a tough squad that, as somebody already mentioned, beat Delaware last year.
The Hens blew chunks last year. I don't expect this to be much of a game.

89Hen
July 18th, 2007, 09:05 AM
And I answered that you and some others don't understand how difficult the road games are in the BSC and Montana is the top rival (interest is high throughout the BSC and attendance at the Montana game is often 3K to 4K higher than next highest attendance). A win against UM is cause for crowds rushing the field (e.g. MSU and ISU). I don't have to explain that UM has a big home field advantage and is a favorite at home. But I thought it was important to mention the difficult travel. I am guessing that Montana's trip to Flagstaff is roughly equivalent to UD's mileage for an entire year of CAA/A-10 conference road games (I have traveled across most of the eastern seaboard and New England).
and yet, it's STILL Montana's conference to lose. This only makes it look worse IMO. xeyebrowx

laxVik
July 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Must suck to lose to a D2 at home and then turn into the laughing stock of the BCS a year later with your less than stellar recruiting practices. xcoffeex

Proud Griz Man
July 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
and yet, it's STILL Montana's conference to lose. This only makes it look worse IMO. xeyebrowx

xconfusedx

I can't believe you have a comprehension problem, you're just being stubborn and always seem set on being Mr. know-it-all.

Go back to evaluating those apps with 620 FICO scores. That will challenge your mind, and Wall Street really needs more subprime MBOs. xcoffeex

89Hen
July 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM
xconfusedx

I can't believe you have a comprehension problem, you're just being stubborn and always seem set on being Mr. know-it-all.
No really, please spell it out for me because this is how I see it:

Griz and BSC fans: Montana will win the BSC again and again and again just like they always have...

89Hen: So when we (non-Griz/BSC fans) say it's the Montana Sky Conference you really can't refute it...

Griz fans: Road games are really hard to win because everyone wants to beat us...

89Hen: But you still win again and again and again just like you always have (since the departure of Idaho, Boise, Nevada...)... so it is the Montana Sky Conference.

What am I missing?

NDSUguy
July 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
yawn. xboringx

CrazyCat
July 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Must suck to lose to a D2 at home and then turn into the laughing stock of the BCS a year later with your less than stellar recruiting practices. xcoffeex

Must really suck never winning the Big Sky Conference.

griz37
July 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM

It was probably Bobby Hauck. He picked MSU 1st since he couldn't pick the Griz, so he probably picked us 2nd & PSU 3rd.

already123
July 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
is this a smack board?

Proud Griz Man
July 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
It was probably Bobby Hauck. He picked MSU 1st since he couldn't pick the Griz, so he probably picked us 2nd & PSU 3rd.

I can't find any verification one way or the other, but it is possible that Jerome Souers might have voted PSU as third.
See if this video link works (endure the 40 second hospital add):

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1592653&h1=July%2016th%20-%20KPAX%20Montana%20Griz%20Preseason%20Football%20 Update&vt1=v&at1=Station 7&d1=88033&LaunchPageAdTag=High School Sports&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp%3FC%3D91376%26nav%3Dmenu227_10_1_2&rnd=30053035

mvemjsunpx
July 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM

I don't think that's right. It's not that a coach can't just vote his team first, they can't vote for their own team for any position.

In other words, each coach only ranks the other 8 teams.

CopperCat
July 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM

You can say what you want. You were still sitting at home watching the playoffs.

CopperCat
July 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Must really suck never winning the Big Sky Conference.

That too.xlolx