PDA

View Full Version : Big South and Great West need help!

Eagle_77
August 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
I was recently looking at the SoCon and who we might get to fill our spot of loosing ETSU and realized that we are really not in that bad a shape as far as number of teams go. What I did realize is how bad a few Conferences are hurting for numbers. The Big South, Great West, and Southland all have fewer than 8 teams which seems to be around the norm in I-AA with exception to a few.

The Southland helped themselves by picking up SE Louisiana to take them up to seven this year. They can be ok with seven but I am sure they would like to have at least one more team to help fill out the schedule.

The Great West and Big South on the other hand need some numbers. Great West has 6 teams and could really use a few more. The are doing a great job of filling spots with Big Sky schools but I am sure this conference would like to see at least two more teams.

The Big South has the most problems with only 5 teams. So far this conference has not been too competitive out side of league play and have to fill 64% of their schedule with non-conference teams. And it seems that some of the up and coming teams in this league really just want to use it as a spring board to go to a more established leagues.

I guess what I am getting at is what will it take for these conferences to get the numbers that they need? What are some of the schools that would fit well into these conferences that are looking to move to I-AA or move from their conference to these?

Lets here what you guys think.

citdog
August 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
maybe they could merge and be together what they are seperately.... the worst i-aa football conference? :)

IaaScribe
August 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
This has been discussed previously.

Here's the problem with the Big South: There is no one left to pick up, unless Presbyterian moves to I-AA. Even that will take time, if it does happen. The only I-AA independent left is Savannah State, and no conference wants to touch that program.

I think many people are still waiting to see how the Colonial shakes out. When Old Dominion comes on board, and if George Mason and Georgia State add football, you're looking at a 15-team conference. There was talk of Richmond going to the Patriot League, but I think that is dead. Coastal Carolina has aspirations to go to the SoCon, but it's probably not going to happen. Liberty wants to look at the Colonial, but so far, the Colonial hasn't reciprocated interest.

The Great West has a problem in that two members are still transitional D-I members. So these leagues will just have to take their lumps for a while.

Big South members are actually in an advantageous situation, because they can load the schedule with very good OOC games. Liberty, VMI and Coastal have done just that. If one of those schools goes 10-1 and wins the league at 4-0, there's a chance for a playoff bid.

grizbeer
August 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Here are my thoughts on the Great West. Here are a few options - the BSC could expand again, picking up the Dakota schools. UC Davis could possibly move up the WAC, leaving Cal Poly and Southern Utah as independents.

Another option is that some West Coast D-II teams could move up to I-AA. For example, there are only 4 schools in the Great Northwest Athletic conference that plays football (Central and Western Washington, Western Oregon, and Humboldt State.) The 2 Washington schools would probably be good candidates to move to I-AA. If all 4 moved it would give the GW some breathing room.

ucdtim17
August 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
maybe they could merge and be together what they are seperately.... the worst i-aa football conference? :)

Rank, Conference (Average Rating)
1. A10 - Atlantic 10 Conference (19.31)
2. GWFC - Great West Football Conference (29.39)

And the GWFC has 4 transitioning programs, 2 going into the 3rd of 4 yrs (UCD, UNC) and 2 going into 2nd year (SDSU, NDSU). UNC is headed for the Big Sky after this year, leaving the GWFC with 5 schools. There goes the autobid. What happens next is anyone's guess

Eagle_77
August 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
I think there are a lot of schools especially in the SE that are looking to move up. In Georgia alone there are 3 or 4 that have at least brought up the topic in Valdosta St, Georgia St, and West Georgia. I dont think all three would go into the Big South but if a couple were to then that would help.

The Colonial might go all differnt ways. How many teams have not made a formal agreement with the Colonial that are currently in the A-10?

I think that these leagues will have to fill up with teams moving up unless there was a lot of shuffeling going on.

SochorField
August 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Thank you UCD Tim, you beat me to that one. As for the Great West....the DII University of North Dakota and South Dakota are reportedly talking about making the move to DI. They would likely join the Great West.

rokamortis
August 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
What are the chances that the A10 trying to keep their football schools and splitting from the CAA?

WMTribe90
August 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
All of the current members of the A10 football conference will be members of the CAA football conference. Maine (AE), Villanova (BE), UMass (A10), URI A10), UNH (AE) and Richmond (A10) will be associate members for football. There likely won't be any shakeups in CAA football membership until (if) ODU, GSU and/or GMU field a I-AA team. Since they are currently all sports members of the CAA, thier inclusion would likely lead to one of the affiliate members getting the boot. Earliest his could happen is 2009. Hope this helps.

AggiePride
August 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM

You guys play football?

News to me...

blukeys
August 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
What are the chances that the A10 trying to keep their football schools and splitting from the CAA?

Linda Bruno the A-10 commissioner had the opportunity to do something with the non-CAA schools and did NOTHING which has been the A-10 response to anything football since the demise of the Yankee Conference. Any relationship with the A-10 is :deadhorse.

What the future holds is anyone's guess but the CAA is planning a lot of promotion of football and if the conference stays as successful as the last 2 years I don't see anyone leaving.

McTailGator
August 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM
The Southland helped themselves by picking up SE Louisiana to take them up to seven this year. They can be ok with seven but I am sure they would like to have at least one more team to help fill out the schedule.

Lets here what you guys think.

The SLC will also be adding the University of Central Arkansas (30 miles from Little Rock) in a couple of years to bring us to 8 FB schools.

They will also add Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, which has stated they may add football by 2010. This would give the SLC 9 teams, with UT-Arlington, UT-San Antonio, and Lamar all thinking about adding football as well.

It's possible for the SLC to have 10 to 12 members in another 8 to 10 years or so.

Dukester
August 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM

It's possible but with GMU and ODU not likely entering into CAA football for another 4 years it's not going to be for awhile. I can see VCU and UNCW going another direction - but that's a ways away. :rolleyes:

While I'm in love with adding CCU - most others don't yet share my view. :confused:

rokamortis
August 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
While I'm in love with adding CCU - most others don't yet share my view. :confused:

Well - I guess I have to get them on board too. Me luv dem long time xsmoochx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
This has been discussed previously.

Here's the problem with the Big South: There is no one left to pick up, unless Presbyterian moves to I-AA. Even that will take time, if it does happen. The only I-AA independent left is Savannah State, and no conference wants to touch that program.

I think many people are still waiting to see how the Colonial shakes out. When Old Dominion comes on board, and if George Mason and Georgia State add football, you're looking at a 15-team conference. There was talk of Richmond going to the Patriot League, but I think that is dead. Coastal Carolina has aspirations to go to the SoCon, but it's probably not going to happen. Liberty wants to look at the Colonial, but so far, the Colonial hasn't reciprocated interest.

The Great West has a problem in that two members are still transitional D-I members. So these leagues will just have to take their lumps for a while.

Big South members are actually in an advantageous situation, because they can load the schedule with very good OOC games. Liberty, VMI and Coastal have done just that. If one of those schools goes 10-1 and wins the league at 4-0, there's a chance for a playoff bid.

You also have to look at basketball in this calculus, but yes, there don't appear to be a lot of options. The Big South has an advantage since they're an all-sports conference, including D-I Basketball and a ticket to the dance. If they can't dangle that in front of a D-II candidate, they could try to convince a non-football Big South member, like Winthrop, Radford or the like, to start up football. But none seem interested on either side.

Of the possibilities you mention, I'd add another: I also wouldn't rule out VMI jumping the Big South in all sports to join the Patriot League. Army and Navy are there in all sports except football, and VMI would be rubbing shoulders with them. Plus, it could be a step up in both basketball and I-AA football.

arkstfan
August 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Is Tarelton State serious about I-AA or were they just looking contingent on landing a spot in the SLC?

If they are serious they need a home. I would think the Great West would be more likely to be interested assuming Tarelton could swing the leap in travel costs.

Lapper
August 24th, 2005, 12:25 PM
It's possible but with GMU and ODU not likely entering into CAA football for another 4 years it's not going to be for awhile. I can see VCU and UNCW going another direction - but that's a ways away. :rolleyes:

Most of our students are transplants from the CCA's sphere of influence who end up moving back to that area. In other words we be able to draw better crowds at CCA away games than at Big South away games.