PDA

View Full Version : CSN - Preseason All-American Squad

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM
CSN's Preseason All-American squad came out this morning. Lots of squads represented. Glad to see five SLC players make the All-American first team squad. Good representation all around and I think this was a pretty good group...
--------------
College Sporting News Announces the 2007 NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision Preseason All-American Teams
College Sporting News
Chicago, IL -- Defending national champion Appalachian State leads the way on the 2007 College Sporting News preseason NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision All-American football teams with six players named overall.

Mountaineer senior tailback Kevin Richardson, who rushed a season-high 30 times for 179 yards and four touchdowns in the national title game last year to guide ASU to their second straight Division I crown is joined on the first team by teammate Kerry Brown who was chosen at offensive guard.

McNeese State and Northern Iowa both placed four players on the All-American teams while Cal Poly, Furman, Montana, North Dakota State, Portland State, South Dakota State and Youngstown State landed three players each on the 75-player squad. There were nine schools that received two selections.

42 different schools and each of the 15 conferences received All-American picks lead by the Southern Conference with 12 selections, the Great West with 11 and the Big Sky had 10.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86474

-Edited-

Umass74
July 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
That list won't make CAA fans happy. Only four players out of 75. xeekx

I-AA Fan
July 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Gee ...opened up with ASU, I am surprised. xrolleyesx

R.A.
July 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
S Bobbie Williams, Bethune-Cookman

Coach Wyatt has another Buch Buchannan Award Candidate.

Tribe4SF
July 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Which makes it suspect right out of the blocks. Tony Lezotte...second team??? I'm sure the kid from Bethune is good, but Tony has been an All-American for three years. San Diego with two All-Americans??? Looks like political correctness has arrived at CSN.

phillyAPP
July 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Your right, it means nothing except that he should have written about the overall HIGH quantity of HIGH quality players in the FCS. I think this next few years will bring more PRO football players out of the FCS than ever before.
Don't blame APP for winning two years ina row but I do understand about getting tired of seeing ASU everywhere. APP has earned it and other players and teams deserve ink.

xthumbsupx

gmoney55
July 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
What a slap in the face to the CAA....LeZotte 2nd team?

Tribe4SF
July 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM

There are 5 from the CAA. You probably missed Rob Zarilli. Still, App State has as many selections as the twelve-team CAA. The writer apparently can't count, as there are 12 selections from the Southern, not 11 as stated.

YoUDeeMan
July 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Tony Lezotte...second team??? I'm sure the kid from Bethune is good, but Tony has been an All-American for three years.

The writer knows that Omar Cuff will be healthy this year. xlolx xlolx

After Nov 3rd, Lezotte will be in shambles. xlolx xlolx xnodx

Saint3333
July 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Brown, KRich, Lynch, Edwards, Tharrington, Banks, Suttle, Jackson, one of the CBs, and one of the two SEC transfers COULD be All-americans. ASU will likely have at least 5 all-americans, remember they had 6 last year and 3 of those return.

I guess we'll hear the same thing from our SoCon brothers once those teams are released.

McNeese72
July 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
My view about preseason All-American (include pre-season all conference lists) lists is the same that it is for preseason polls/ratings. I rather be recognized more on the post-season lists than on the preseason ones. :-)

Actually, I would sort of like some my players feeling slighted and feel like they have something to prove.

Doc

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Funny Cluck U! xsmiley_wix xlolx

I don't have a big problem with LeZotte being named to the 2nd team. He is still represented. Last year his numbers were not as good as his sophomore year. Simple as that. Mostly I think because teams avoided him as much as possible in the passing game, and Akeem Jordan was a beast and runner-up for the Buck Buchannon award. Many times, players did not get into the secondary for him to make the tackles.

Anyway, 4 or 5 representatives of the CAA is definitely suspect. But then again, I'd rather have a TEAM of players, not just one or two star players. :p ;) I'll take the OOC wins, the rest of you can enjoy your preseason accolades. xnodx

And really, App St. does have some incredibly good players. Well deserved! xthumbsupx

SoCon48
July 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Why not. A returning All-American on the defending national champions team. No brainer. Customary.

Mountaineer senior tailback Kevin Richardson, who rushed a season-high 30 times for 179 yards and four touchdowns in the national title game last year to guide ASU to their second straight Division I crown is joined on the first team by teammate Kerry Brown who was chosen at offensive guard.

SoCon48
July 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Your right, it means nothing except that he should have written about the overall HIGH quantity of HIGH quality players in the FCS. I think this next few years will bring more PRO football players out of the FCS than ever before.
Don't blame APP for winning two years ina row but I do understand about getting tired of seeing ASU everywhere. APP has earned it and other players and teams deserve ink.

xthumbsupx

I felt the same way about Montana, Georgia Southern, and Delaware..for years!

813Jag
July 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
SWAC one on second team and two on third team. As a Jag I'm expecting a break out year for Jermaul George.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM
What about this, though: Armanti Edwards didn't make the team. I was really surprised at that.

Pauly LB
July 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
My view about preseason All-American (include pre-season all conference lists) lists is the same that it is for preseason polls/ratings. I rather be recognized more on the post-season lists than on the preseason ones. :-)

Actually, I would sort of like some my players feeling slighted and feel like they have something to prove.

Doc

While I do agree with your comment McNeese72, most of the time it takes recognition on pre-season teams in order to be selected on the post-season teams. Importantly in order to be selected there has to be a certain amount of HYPE involved or a player really doesn't stand a chance to be selected on a post-season team. That hype begins with being selected to a pre-season team.

For example, Ryan Shotwell (who is a sophomore) from Cal Poly was selected on the CSN pre-season team at linebacker even though he has never played linebacker at Cal Poly. In high school according to his bio he also played defensive end. Ryan Shotwell had fewer tackles that two other Cal Poly returning linebackers (Jason Relyea and Mark Restelli) but he is getting the hype because of his brother's success. BY THE WAY, THIS IS NOT A SLAM ON SHOTWELL BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY A FINE FOOTBALL PLAYER AND IS ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER. Just how often do you ever see a player that is changing postions chosen to pre-season honors?

Pre-season hype is extremely important -- just ask anyone who ever won a Heisman Trophy. It is both the pre-season hype and player performance that leads to post-season honors and awards.

andy7171
July 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
What about this, though: Armanti Edwards didn't make the team. I was really surprised at that.
Really? I'm not sure you are being serious or just trying to rile up the ASU horde.

He was only a freshman last year, a true one at that. Going up against the high ranking Santos, Johnson and
Sanders, all of whom are 5th year seniors whom have throw for at least 6000+ yards and over 50 TDs each. Statistically speaking alone, they aren't as vunerable to falter this season as Edwards. Though I doubt he will. His track record while very very impressive is only one season and surrounded by top caliber teammates.

BDKJMU
July 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Which makes it suspect right out of the blocks. Tony Lezotte...second team??? I'm sure the kid from Bethune is good, but Tony has been an All-American for three years. San Diego with two All-Americans??? Looks like political correctness has arrived at CSN.

Ditto that. Lezotte on the 2nd team when he's on everyone else's 1st team and only 5 of 75 players CAA tells me the CSN Preseason AA team is a load of crap.

FCSFAN
July 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
AGS is a great site! It is great to see the first all american teams come out.

No wonder CAA fans are whining. 5 out of 75 is not what they are used to getting.

Overall the teams look good and this season should be a great one.

813Jag
July 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM
AGS is a great site! It is great to see the first all american teams come out.

No wonder CAA fans are whining. 5 out of 75 is not what they are used to getting.

Overall the teams look good and this season should be a great one.
Welcome aboard! xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
July 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Brown, KRich, Lynch, Edwards, Tharrington, Banks, Suttle, Jackson, one of the CBs, and one of the two SEC transfers COULD be All-americans. ASU will likely have at least 5 all-americans, remember they had 6 last year and 3 of those return.

I guess we'll hear the same thing from our SoCon brothers once those teams are released.

I don't have a problem with ASU getting 5...it's the 5 for the entire CAA that has my eyebrow raised.

th0m
July 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Definitely suspect, but hey, I don't think the players will care!

T-Dog
July 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I found six App players on the list.

First team
RB Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State
OG Kerry Brown, Appalachian State
S Corey Lynch, Appalachian State

Second team
RS Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State
DT Tim Washington, App. State
CB Jerome Touchstone, App. State

The only one I'm surprise on there is Washington, since he's a transfer from LSU. Everyone else deserves it IMO.

bustingnut
July 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
finally, i didnt want to say 6 first, and feel like a dumb a** and be wrong.

already123
July 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM
WOW....

Not too sure Lex should get a second team voting...

I'm positive that Tim Washington shouldnt have recieved his 3rd team honors! He barely touched the field at LSU and we give him a throne in FCS play?! No wonder its hard for us to get the respect we deserve from the rest of the nation....players at LSU and the rest of the SEC are prob looking at this and laughing.

youwouldno
July 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Tim Washington on the list is a complete joke and although I'm a Furman fan, I think Justin Brown as 2nd team AA at DT is a bit of a stretch. He had a very good freshman year and showed a ton of guts playing through injuries at the end of the season, but top 4 in the FCS? Maybe next year.

Personally, I don't put a lot of stock in things like this, mainly because football is a team sport. An individual player's success has a lot to do with the team and the scheme. The ranking of individual players at the collegiate level is impossible because there is insufficient uniformity of competition.

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Glad to see SHSU give the preseason team some publicity!

---------------
Blake Martin, Brandon Hale named to College Sporting News Preseason All-America Squad

July 15 , 2007

CHICAGO, IL - Two Sam Houston State seniors, tight end Blake Martin and offensive lineman Brandon Hale, have been named as first team selections on the 2007 College Sports News NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision preseason All-America Team.

Martin, a business major from Hemphill, and Hale, a criminal justice major from Grand Prairie, are joined on the team by five other Southland Conference players.

Defensive end Bryan Smith and kicker Blake Bercegeay of McNeese State are second team selections. Offensive lineman Matt Jenkins and punter Chris MacDonald of Texas State-San Marcos were named to the third team.

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/allamericapreseason.html

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
FYI...

"A couple of fixes were applied to the College Sporting News 2007 NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision Preseason All-American Teams article.

Appalachian State was credited with five picks when they had six, the Southern Conference had 12 and not 11 selections, and Peter St. John of Portland State (declared academically ineligible) has been replaced at offensive guard by Matt Jenkins of Texas State, and Jeff Monaco of Yale has been added to the team.

http://collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86474

Mr. C
July 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Have you seen Williams from Bethune-Cookman play? The only reason he hasn't received much publicity before this year is that earlier in his career he backed up someone who is now playing in the NFL. He didn't get to play as early as Le Zotte and ASU's Lynch did. Williams is a stud. You might also like to know that Williams is projected as a very high NFL draft choice, so he has the NFL's eyes too. Le Zotte, as someone else pointed out, didn't have as good a junior year as his freshman and sophomore years. And if you talk to opposing coaches, they will tell you that while Le Zotte's is great on run support, he has some rather major weaknesses as a cover guy. Williams is far superior in that regard.

San Diego has two All-Americans because they are two of the best players in FCS. I'd put up Josh Johnson against anyone, even Ricky Santos. If you had a chance to see Johnson play, you would know just how talented he is.

Mr. C
July 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Tim Washington on the list is a complete joke and although I'm a Furman fan, I think Justin Brown as 2nd team AA at DT is a bit of a stretch. He had a very good freshman year and showed a ton of guts playing through injuries at the end of the season, but top 4 in the FCS? Maybe next year.

Personally, I don't put a lot of stock in things like this, mainly because football is a team sport. An individual player's success has a lot to do with the team and the scheme. The ranking of individual players at the collegiate level is impossible because there is insufficient uniformity of competition.
So if Tim Washington goes out and plays like Marques Murrell, or Jason Hunter this season, you would still have a problem with him being named All-American? The kid is good and maybe it is an edgy pick right now to some, but CSN just might prove to be ahead of the curve on that pick. We can all wait and see. From what I know of Washington, I am not suprised to see him on the team. He was one of Nick Saben's top recruits at LSU, but had injury problems that slowed him down. You could have just as easily put Rhett Bomar at QB, or J.D. Quinn at center. They are players who should have awesome years, too. Preseason All-American is sort of a prediction on who is going to have great years.

Mr. C
July 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
WOW....

Not too sure Lex should get a second team voting...

I'm positive that Tim Washington shouldnt have recieved his 3rd team honors! He barely touched the field at LSU and we give him a throne in FCS play?! No wonder its hard for us to get the respect we deserve from the rest of the nation....players at LSU and the rest of the SEC are prob looking at this and laughing.
Coming off a season when he was out ALL year with Achilles tendon surgery, Lex Hilliard doesn't deserve to be ranked ahead of Kevin Richardson at RB. Hilliard getting second team honors after the injury just shows you how much respect he has around FCS.

Players at LSU and in the SEC probably know that Tim Washington was a talented player who had been slowed by injuries. I doubt ANYONE down there is laughing about him.

BDKJMU
July 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Looks like according to the CSN AA teams you could come up with a CAA All Star team and they'd be about even with ASU.

fuEMO
July 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM

I can't comment on Washington but I don't think Justin Brown is a stretch. He was far and away the best player on the entire Furman defensive line. Yeah I know that might not be saying much but Brown played very well and earn alot of respect getting first team all SoCon honors as a freshman.

youwouldno
July 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
So if Tim Washington goes out and plays like Marques Murrell, or Jason Hunter this season, you would still have a problem with him being named All-American? The kid is good and maybe it is an edgy pick right now to some, but CSN just might prove to be ahead of the curve on that pick. We can all wait and see. From what I know of Washington, I am not suprised to see him on the team. He was one of Nick Saben's top recruits at LSU, but had injury problems that slowed him down. You could have just as easily put Rhett Bomar at QB, or J.D. Quinn at center. They are players who should have awesome years, too. Preseason All-American is sort of a prediction on who is going to have great years.

Why did Washington transfer? If he is healthy, and good, couldn't he have earned PT at LSU?

umassfan
July 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I dont think incoming transfers who never played a down of FCS ball should be rated anywhere. Hell we had a kid like Washington come from NC State a couple years back who was talked up just like him... and where is he now... he quit the team because his injuries were just too much for him. He never played a down for us. It makes your preseason teams look like a joke.

Lionsrking
July 17th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Why did Washington transfer? If he is healthy, and good, couldn't he have earned PT at LSU?

I know quite a bit about Tim Washington. He was at LSU and I have contacts on the coaching staff. He was injury prone throughout his time there and never lived up to what they thought he could be coming out of high school. He was also stuck behind some really good players. App State is getting a solid player who will likely be motivated with a change of scenery, but I wouldn't expect a dominant guy or a game changer.

Tribe4SF
July 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Have you seen Williams from Bethune-Cookman play? The only reason he hasn't received much publicity before this year is that earlier in his career he backed up someone who is now playing in the NFL. He didn't get to play as early as Le Zotte and ASU's Lynch did. Williams is a stud. You might also like to know that Williams is projected as a very high NFL draft choice, so he has the NFL's eyes too. Le Zotte, as someone else pointed out, didn't have as good a junior year as his freshman and sophomore years. And if you talk to opposing coaches, they will tell you that while Le Zotte's is great on run support, he has some rather major weaknesses as a cover guy. Williams is far superior in that regard.

San Diego has two All-Americans because they are two of the best players in FCS. I'd put up Josh Johnson against anyone, even Ricky Santos. If you had a chance to see Johnson play, you would know just how talented he is.

The DE from San Diego has had big numbers, and previous honors, but he racks up stats against some pitiful teams. Against UCD he had no tackles for loss, but averaged 2.5 against the rest of their schedule.

If you see Lezotte with major weaknesses then do you see him as a second team All-America?

Mostly I just think the CAA was slighted with the picks. We'll see how the season goes, and how your tenure goes.

phillyAPP
July 17th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Really? I'm not sure you are being serious or just trying to rile up the ASU horde.

He was only a freshman last year, a true one at that. Going up against the high ranking Santos, Johnson and
Sanders, all of whom are 5th year seniors whom have throw for at least 6000+ yards and over 50 TDs each. Statistically speaking alone, they aren't as vunerable to falter this season as Edwards. Though I doubt he will. His track record while very very impressive is only one season and surrounded by top caliber teammates.

Your statements maybe true about Edwards but after watching him atleast 10 times last year he made the runs and passes happen against the best teams in the FCS and he did have a good suporting cast thus giving APP all the All-American choices. If you get a chance to watch him, he will make you a believer also. Edwards was only 165lbs max last year, it was amazing the hits he took and bounced right back up. He is now 180lbs and stil as quick.

Umass74
July 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Washington has nine career tackles for LSU and gets picked as an All-American?

Jeromy Miles the UMass transfer from Navy has 61 tackles as a freshman. Was All-East, ECAC Freshman of the Year and Honorable Mention BCS All-American and he does not get picked?

Seeing that neither of them has played a down in FCS ball, I don't think either should get preseason honors.

andy7171
July 17th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Your statements maybe true about Edwards but after watching him atleast 10 times last year he made the runs and passes happen against the best teams in the FCS and he did have a good suporting cast thus giving APP all the All-American choices. If you get a chance to watch him, he will make you a believer also. Edwards was only 165lbs max last year, it was amazing the hits he took and bounced right back up. He is now 180lbs and stil as quick.
Oh don't get me wrong, I was exteremly impressed with the games I saw him play in last year. All I am saying is that he is young and compared to the Santos' and Johnsons' of the FCS he is inexperienced. It would seem to me hard to justify putting him above those 4th and 5th year players. And remember, this is just a pre-season thing. If Edwards repeats, there will be no one questioning where his place is. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
July 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Jeromy Miles the UMass transfer from Navy has 61 tackles as a freshman. Was All-East, ECAC Freshman of the Year and Honorable Mention BCS All-American and he does not get picked?

Seeing that neither of them has played a down in FCS ball, I don't think either should get preseason honors.

Bingo!xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
For the record, I feel the way you do about transfers who haven't played a down in FCS, I don't put them on the preseason all-American teams. That's why I didn't vote for Bomar, Quinn, or Washington. I feel like they need to prove to me that they belong on the team. For that matter, I feel the same way about Lex Hilliard. Yeah, he's proven he was good in 2005, but nobody really knows how he will respond from that injury. He has to prove to me he's fully recovered.

OTOH, if someone else wants to put these four guys on their preseason teams, who am I to stop them? Certainly some folks think these four guys have the potential to be impact players in 07, and I have no problem with that. Everyone has a different opinion.

already123
July 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM

EXACTLY!!!xrulesx xthumbsupx

already123
July 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I know receivers with more career tackles than Time Washington...

phillyAPP
July 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I'll introduce your team to him when you visit APP!! xnodx xnodx

And good point about his output thusfar in his young career.

appst97
July 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM

That doesn't speak well of your QB's