PDA

View Full Version : Was EWU robbed on this field goal?

wapiti
March 1st, 2021, 09:31 AM
https://youtu.be/4FGzoKYNt4M

Mocs123
March 1st, 2021, 09:48 AM
It sure looked like they did. Either way the ref didn't put himself in position to judge whether it went through the uprights or not, and astonishingly didn't appear to even look up. That looked like a high school ref job to me.

Chattanooga also had two TD's (on the same possession) ruled out of bounds that should have been a score. The first one, I've seen a photo with his foot in bounds, but they didn't have the video angles to overturn. The second, was an amazing catch and sure looked like he was pushed out of bounds to me. The good news, is it didn't matter, the Mocs won anyways.

wapiti
March 1st, 2021, 09:55 AM
Later in this same game Idaho was awarded a first down and the ball was easily 1/2 yard short of the first down marker.
It should have then been 4th and 1. Idaho either goes for a first down or attempts a long field goal attempt. Instead a first down was awarded.
Why was the 1st down called not reviewed and overturned?

Later on that drive Idaho scores the winning touchdown.

Laker
March 1st, 2021, 10:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvWiBX6VkAYj5og?format=jpg&name=small

Mocs123
March 1st, 2021, 10:23 AM
At least the Big Sky admitted it was a mistake. That doesn't help EWU now, but at least it's some validation.

clenz
March 1st, 2021, 10:23 AM
The answer is they were

The other part of that answer is the fact they call FGs non reviewable because the ball was higher than the post is bull ****, and always has been. They can't make posts that are 80 feet in the air to make sure all kicks go between the posts. The stability wouldn't be there. You can still tell if a ball is good or not. If it's close enough that it goes right over the upright of the post go with "inconclusive evidence". The evidence was clear on that one, but because the ball was too high they refused to over turn it.

Dumb rule

Preferred Walk-On
March 1st, 2021, 10:33 AM
Yes, robbed.
Could not review, stupid.
Now they just need to attach bright yellow ropes from the roof to the top of the goal posts, so that they DO extend all the way up and the review rule is moot...it is a dome after all. Oh, and it helps if the ref is actually watching the ball.

clenz
March 1st, 2021, 10:40 AM
I've often thought, as cost ineffecient as it is, schools putting up a second set up nets that are the exact width of the goalposts right behind the posts that extend up quite a ways that way it's impossible for a ball between the posts not to hit the front net. It if hits the back net it was clearly no good.

BEAR
March 1st, 2021, 10:44 AM
I guess Southland officials are working other games now? xlolx

Preferred Walk-On
March 1st, 2021, 11:43 AM
I've often thought, as cost ineffecient as it is, schools putting up a second set up nets that are the exact width of the goalposts right behind the posts that extend up quite a ways that way it's impossible for a ball between the posts not to hit the front net. It if hits the back net it was clearly no good.

That is not a half bad idea; however, watching the nets go up in the Fargodome is sometimes a s***show. Also, the major problem would be angles - how do you place the net when it is a close kick from a wide hashmark? Maybe some sort of electronic tracking system like for pitches in baseball?

Preferred Walk-On
March 1st, 2021, 11:45 AM

Ah, my bad. I skimmed and realized you meant for the net to basically be up against the posts (eliminating the angle problem).

POD Knows
March 1st, 2021, 11:52 AM
How many times do officials actually make the incorrect call on a PAT or a FG, it is rare as hell. The officials in Idaho were clearly unprepared for the kick and got it wrong but I bet the correct call is made 99% of the time.

Also, any team having to play in that hole in Idaho should get spotted 10 points just because. That place gives Qounsets a bad name.

BEAR
March 1st, 2021, 11:59 AM
I thought it would work if the goal posts became a goal box with a top bar and a net in the back. Kinda soccer type thing. If the top bar won’t work then net it above the posts. As the previous poster said if it is caught by the net then it had to have been good. Arena football has a great field goal idea. You miss it and it’s a live ball! That would speed up the kickoff game! xlolx

Rjones61
March 1st, 2021, 12:31 PM
Later in this same game Idaho was awarded a first down and the ball was easily 1/2 yard short of the first down marker.
It should have then been 4th and 1. Idaho either goes for a first down or attempts a long field goal attempt. Instead a first down was awarded.
Why was the 1st down called not reviewed and overturned?

Later on that drive Idaho scores the winning touchdown.

Also on Idaho's first scoring drive.

In the redzone, Idaho has the ball:

Stopped
Stopped
Stopped, EWU guy hits Vandals QB who is still in bounds. The guy falls out of bounds, and EWU is flagged personal foul for hitting guy who is out of bounds.
Automatic first down, half the distance to the goal!
Stopped
Stopped
Stopped, Vandals QB throws the ball ten feet above receivers head out of bounds. EWU is flagged for pass interference
Automatic first down, half the distance to the goal!
Stopped
Stopped
Touchdown.

SDFS
March 1st, 2021, 12:58 PM
The answer is they were

The other part of that answer is the fact they call FGs non reviewable because the ball was higher than the post is bull ****, and always has been. They can't make posts that are 80 feet in the air to make sure all kicks go between the posts. The stability wouldn't be there. You can still tell if a ball is good or not. If it's close enough that it goes right over the upright of the post go with "inconclusive evidence". The evidence was clear on that one, but because the ball was too high they refused to over turn it.

Dumb rule

In the Kibbie Dome, the goal posts are mounted to the back wall. So, they could make the goal posts as tall as the want and you don't need to be balanced on a single post in the ground. It was always weird to me because the goal posts always looked like they are floating in mid air.

JALMOND
March 1st, 2021, 05:03 PM
From Chris Korman, USA Today. Good take.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/eastern-washington-idaho-fcs-football-official-missed-field-goal

wapiti
March 1st, 2021, 05:28 PM
https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20140913_152410.jpg

I searched for images of the Kibbie dome and was curious where the scoreboard is in relation to the goal posts.

Does anyone have good pics of the inside of the Kibbie and the scoreboard and goal posts in question that they could share? How much wider is the scoreboard than the goal posts?

and how far behind is the scoreboard from the posts?