PDA

View Full Version : Johnson vs. Stowers

Henny
July 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
UD happens to be playing against both former GSU coaches this season. I do think it is an advantage for the Hens to play URI first then Navy later in the season to get a look at the triple option. I happen to love the offense.

Besides one year, Stowers has had sub 500. seasons in the A10/CAA. Navy has been to 4 straight bowls. With probably the same talent level.

Asking GSU fans, what is the main difference between the two? Teaching technique, motivation, using the right players at key positions or all of the above?

Kill'em
July 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Stowers will tinker with the offense. When he was at Georgia Southern he used an occasional tight end and shotgun formation. Johnson stated in his return to Statesboro that the offense was not being run correctly, meaning, he got rid of the tight end and the shotgun. I liked Stowers as a coach. He has a good offensive mind but PJ is an offensive genius. Johnson does not tinker with the offense much. He kills you with execution.

Eagle22
July 15th, 2007, 01:03 AM
UD happens to be playing against both former GSU coaches this season. I do think it is an advantage for the Hens to play URI first then Navy later in the season to get a look at the triple option. I happen to love the offense.

Besides one year, Stowers has had sub 500. seasons in the A10/CAA. Navy has been to 4 straight bowls. With probably the same talent level.

Asking GSU fans, what is the main difference between the two? Teaching technique, motivation, using the right players at key positions or all of the above?

Johnson is an intense perfectionist, Stowers isn't. While I'm pretty sure Stowers is no slouch at understanding X's and O's, he never seemed to have the 'touch' of reading what the opposition is doing and reacting to that... Johnson was/is uncanny in that regard. Much more the strategist and great at adjusting on the fly.

PJ's teams reflect that drive and desire to always get better, because he won't let them slide.

Stowers coached some decent teams in Statesboro to a few 7-4 records. If GSU had lesser talent, those clubs would have been sub 500 as well. We won quite a few games on special teams plays that otherwise would have been really close or losses. Our offense under Stowers was never the juggernaut it was under PJ.

Brad82
July 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
The main problem with Stowers is the play-calling.