PDA

View Full Version : PL Preview: #2 Lafayette

colgate13
August 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Finally got back to it. #2 is up (http://colgate13.blogspot.com/). #1 to follow in a few days.

Enjoy!

Pard94
August 22nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Finally got back to it. #2 is up (http://colgate13.blogspot.com/). #1 to follow in a few days.

Enjoy!

Excellent summary 13. Other than the obvious mistake of picking the Leopards second, you seemed to hit the nail on the head. Can't blame you for picking us #2...it is the safe, popular, easy call ;) . Always enjoy reading your site.

ngineer
August 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Excellent review there, 13. You almost convinced me to change my vote to the 'pards for this year ;) . Their schedule certainly is favorable, with significant games at home, whereas virtually all of Lehigh's major obstacles will be on the road, sans Lafayette. It's actually good to see the rivalry back to where it belongs, considering the mess it was in 6 years ago. But worm will turn this year in Goodman and the 'pards will be awaiting the selection commitee's decision come November 20.

colgate13
August 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
But worm will turn this year in Goodman and the 'pards will be awaiting the selection commitee's decision come November 20.

Now now, you'll both be sitting at home as Colgate takes the autobid and Fordham is the surprise at-large, but I'm saving that blog post until after the official "pre-season" wrap up is done. ;) :p

Pard94
August 22nd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Now now, you'll both be sitting at home as Colgate takes the autobid and Fordham is the surprise at-large, but I'm saving that blog post until after the official "pre-season" wrap up is done. ;) :p

Ah man! Just when you had me convinced you knew what you were talking about you go ahead and throw out a piece of fiction like that!

youwouldno
August 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
I picked Lafayette to win the PL a while back. Gotta love that defense.

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Excellent analysis 13. Tavani has done a very good job of rebuilding this program and one of the things that he has capitalized on is motivating his players, especially for the Rivalry. Frank understood the meaning of this game from the get-go and has followed through, including the AC/DC-esque black jerseys for the game last year. That being said, I think we've been here before, namely two years ago, when the Leopards were returning Marco Glavic after beating Lehigh (and squelching any LU playoff hopes in '03) but they faltered then. Also, Lafayette escaped with a few victories that could have very easily gone the other way (Richmond and Bucknell come to mind) Still, Lafayette looks to be an improving program and should be in the hunt come the end of November. All that aside, I concur with your Lehigh pick for #1. There is clearly a different tone coming from South Mountain this year from Coach Lembo. I think Lembo's approach in the past has been a very humble, blue-collar, let's go to work one without much praise or brimstone and fire antics. I think he regrets not more adequately recognizing the accomplishments of the PL co-title last year and is looking to get the troops "up" this year. I also suspect that after the beating the Mountain Hawks took last year in Easton and the resulting irritation from the Alums, Pete has probably (and finally) grasped the importance of that game. Lastly, I think that the PL is in good shape to get two bids in again this year.

Pard94
August 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Excellent analysis 13. Tavani has done a very good job of rebuilding this program and one of the things that he has capitalized on is motivating his players, especially for the Rivalry. Frank understood the meaning of this game from the get-go and has followed through, including the AC/DC-esque black jerseys for the game last year. That being said, I think we've been here before, namely two years ago, when the Leopards were returning Marco Glavic after beating Lehigh (and squelching any LU playoff hopes in '03) but they faltered then. Also, Lafayette escaped with a few victories that could have very easily gone the other way (Richmond and Bucknell come to mind) Still, Lafayette looks to be an improving program and should be in the hunt come the end of November. All that aside, I concur with your Lehigh pick for #1. There is clearly a different tone coming from South Mountain this year from Coach Lembo. I think Lembo's approach in the past has been a very humble, blue-collar, let's go to work one without much praise or brimstone and fire antics. I think he regrets not more adequately recognizing the accomplishments of the PL co-title last year and is looking to get the troops "up" this year. I also suspect that after the beating the Mountain Hawks took last year in Easton and the resulting irritation from the Alums, Pete has probably (and finally) grasped the importance of that game. Lastly, I think that the PL is in good shape to get two bids in again this year.

Frank Tavani recruited me to Lafayette way back when he was a lowly RB coach. He is a master of motivation. He came to my house with a video tape of Laf./Lehigh highlights and preached about the tradition of Lafayette football. He is as good a recruiter as he is because he truely believes The Game and the tradtion of Lafayette is special. And he makes you believe it.

Can't wait for November. Hopefully Lembo and his staff are still snoozing!