PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best QB for 2007?

Ronbo
July 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Who's the best this year. I think Santos. Who do you think?

andy7171
July 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
My choice wasn't listed, so I went with CAA loyalty.

Maybe when the shadow of Santos is gone, he'll get some pub.

Jag4Life
July 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Choice isn't listed.

RichH2
July 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Santos is certainly the chalk bet. While I have been mocked I still think Threatt will have a break out year. He has been very good to excellent the last 2 years. His totlal numbers may not approach Santos yardage given LU's rbs and new offense but I will bet his qb rating will be the best in the nation this year

mcveyrl
July 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Who is Armant Edwards?

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Santos will undoubtedly be great. Just wonder how he's going to be viewed if UNH can't get over the hump this year. One of the greatest FCS-IAA QBs to never win a title?

I also think Eric Sanders is gonna breakout this year. xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I think last year was UNH's year if anything. But injuries really hurt them down the stretch. Even if UNH does not win the Title, which I doubt they will, they would be highly regarded in conference history as the only team to make the playoffs 4 consecutive years I believe.

(CAA / A10 / Yankee Conf. etc. people please correct me if I am wrong about the "making the playoffs" record)

Seahawks Fan
July 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'll go with Josh Johnson USD.

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I think last year was UNH's year if anything. But injuries really hurt them down the stretch. Even if UNH does not win the Title, which I doubt they will, they would be highly regarded in conference history as the only team to make the playoffs 4 consecutive years I believe.

(CAA / A10 / Yankee Conf. etc. people please correct me if I am wrong about the "making the playoffs" record)

Agreed, UNH has had a great run. xthumbsupx Santos and Ball are definitely one of my favorite duos. xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think it was a joke Seawolves... or at least I hope it was...

Anyway, it is tough to answer this question because different people define the best quarterback in so many ways.

Pure Athlete - probably Armanti Edwards
Experience and career numbers - Ricky Santos
Poise / Intangible Leadership - Liam Coen or Eric Sanders
Dark Horse with NFL potential - Josh Johnson

Delaware's Flacco will no doubt be in this discussion by year's end.

GannonFan
July 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Santos will undoubtedly be great. Just wonder how he's going to be viewed if UNH can't get over the hump this year. One of the greatest FCS-IAA QBs to never win a title?

Tons of great QB's at this level never won a championship - this isn't the pros where you're talking about a 15 year career, we're talking 4 years max - to not win one does not in anyway take away from a QB.

The QB's who never won a championship at this level are a distinguished group: Rich Gannon, Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, etc. Nothing wrong about being in that group.

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Never implied otherwise GF. :p Yes, he'll be in great company. xnodx

RabidRabbit
July 12th, 2007, 02:44 PM
If Bison put together a 8-3 (or better) campaign again this year, and Steve Walker plays like last year, he'll be in the discussions about great QB's in FCS. xpeacex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Just goes to show how difficult a thing it is to reach the NC Title game and win...

already123
July 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I think it was a joke Seawolves... or at least I hope it was...

Anyway, it is tough to answer this question because different people define the best quarterback in so many ways.

Pure Athlete - probably Armanti Edwards
Experience and career numbers - Ricky Santos
Poise / Intangible Leadership - Liam Coen or Eric Sanders
Dark Horse with NFL potential - Josh Johnson

Delaware's Flacco will no doubt be in this discussion by year's end.

I agree...the definition of the "best" QB is quite subjective. You could be talking about who will have the best statistical year, who is the most gifted (physically), etc.... Some describe the best quarterback as someone who is poised, a leader, consistent. Depending on what your definition is, you'll have a different answer.

My choice isn't up there

FargoBison
July 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Athlete- Edwards
Career numbers- Santos
Poise/Intangible Leadersip- Walker
NFL potential- Johnson

DuckDuckGriz
July 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I think many people in the FCS will be aware of Portland State's Brian White at the end of this season.

BDKJMU
July 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
CAA is loaded at QB- Santos, Flacco, Coen, and Schaefer already proven. Big unknown for one of the top 3-4 teams preseason is Rodney Landers for JMU. 4th yr junior who spent 2 yrs behind Rascati, 6'1", 215, can flat out fly:
Passing 2 seasons mop up duty: 9 for 13, 76 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Rushing 2 seaons : 49 carries, 434 yards, 8.6 avg, 3 TDs.

With JMU avg 213, 235 and 218 yards rushing per game the last 3 seasons, with Holloman back in the backfield, (06': 10 games, 1121 yds, rushing, 122 receiving, 9 Tds), and with JMU's coaches in the offseason travelling to WVU to learn about putting in a similar offense that West VA and ASU run, I expect Landers, if he remains healthy, to be one of the top rushing QBs in I-AA, and a better than avg passer, although not to the level of Santos, Coen, Flacco, Schaefer, or Rascati last yr. Lander's is more experienced than your typical 2nd yr Freshman or 3rd yr Sophmore new starter.

Santos, though, is the man that has to be at the top of everyone's list.
xcoffeex

katstrapper
July 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Southland Conference is filled with some very quality QB's too.

SFA--Danny Southall
SHSU--Rhett Bomar
Tx St--Bradley George
McNeese--Derrick Fourroux

BEAR
July 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Santos appears to be the man for that title this year . But I have to play homer here and throw in:
(Here come the stats...xlolx )
Jr. QB Nathan Brown

Coming into the season he ranks:
1st in career completion percentage (67.2 percent)
2nd in career pass efficiency (157.4)
2nd in total offense per game (198.0)
2nd in total offense per play (7.35)
3rd in career touchdown passes (43)
3rd in passing yards per game (194.0)
5th in career yards per pass (8.3)
sixth in career completions (346)
seventh in career pass attempts (515)
seventh in career yards (4,268)
seventh in career TDs responsible for (43)
eighth in school history with 4,356 yards of total offense for his career

Knowing UCA plays a kind of spread offense where they have thrown to over 20 receivers on average per year and the fact that Nathan missed the first 3 games of last year with an injury, he should finish as the #1 QB in school history. Possibly 86 TDS and over 700 completions. UCA is not eligible to be in the playoffs if it were to qualify by record, but he is putting up some big numbers. If all stays the way it is and his passing yards double, he should be close to 9000 passing yards when he is finished. He'll be on your radars soon enough. xlolx

As for this year....my vote has to go to Santos. What a phenomenal player! That's 1 TD for every 8 passes! He's got a completion rate of about 67%! xthumbsupx

PSUVikings
July 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
If we are talking by stats Brian White should lead the FCS in passing yards.

already123
July 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM
If we are talking by stats Brian White should lead the FCS in passing yards.

xhomerx

HI54UNI
July 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I hope you're right! xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
July 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I hope you're right! xthumbsupx

Yeah, I shouldn't have said breakout. The kid's good. xlolx More like the rest of the Panthers will catch up with him this year. xthumbsupx

PSUVikings
July 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
xhomerx

Have you ever heard of the Run and shoot offense. Look at the stats from Hawaii, year after year they are up there. PSU is running the same offense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics

already123
July 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
It didnt happen over night. Hawaii has recruited players to play in that offense. PSU is going from a two back system to a Run and Shoot in one semester. They are also using recievers who aren't proven (except for 2). Not saying they won't be "successful", I am saying that he will not be leading the nation. Im not even positive that he will lead the conference....

DetroitFlyer
July 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Kevin Hoyng of Dayton.

YoUDeeMan
July 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Flaccannon. xrotatehx

Boom! TD. Boom! TD. Boom! TD. :D

Scary good. xnodx

andy7171
July 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Say! Who dat on top from last years?

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpass&site=org

FCS Go!
July 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Say! Who dat on top from last years?

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpass&site=org

Its interesting that on this list there are only 3 or so quarterbacks in the top 50 who are from playoff teams....

Cobblestone
July 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Gotta go with Santos.

UNHWildCats
July 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Santos appears to be the man for that title this year . But I have to play homer here and throw in:
(Here come the stats...xlolx )
Jr. QB Nathan Brown

Coming into the season he ranks:
1st in career completion percentage (67.2 percent)
2nd in career pass efficiency (157.4)
2nd in total offense per game (198.0)
2nd in total offense per play (7.35)
3rd in career touchdown passes (43)
3rd in passing yards per game (194.0)
5th in career yards per pass (8.3)
sixth in career completions (346)
seventh in career pass attempts (515)
seventh in career yards (4,268)
seventh in career TDs responsible for (43)
eighth in school history with 4,356 yards of total offense for his career

Knowing UCA plays a kind of spread offense where they have thrown to over 20 receivers on average per year and the fact that Nathan missed the first 3 games of last year with an injury, he should finish as the #1 QB in school history. Possibly 86 TDS and over 700 completions. UCA is not eligible to be in the playoffs if it were to qualify by record, but he is putting up some big numbers. If all stays the way it is and his passing yards double, he should be close to 9000 passing yards when he is finished. He'll be on your radars soon enough. xlolx

As for this year....my vote has to go to Santos. What a phenomenal player! That's 1 TD for every 8 passes! He's got a completion rate of about 67%! xthumbsupx

Are those rankings above for Brown for School or conference history?

Santos has a 67.4 career completion percent, which if maintained will be the new FCS record.

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
"Poise / Intangible Leadership" is how Santos got all the "Experience and career numbers".

ElonPride
July 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM
My vote would be Armanti Edwards. Great athlete, makes great decisions, has a great supporting cast and is a lot of fun to watch. On top of it, the guy's only a sophmore!!!!!!

travelinman67
July 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'll go with Santos at the top, but think RichH is right about Threatt ending up near the top of the FCS when the dust has settled. I think he's been underrated by too many.

Maroons
July 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hard to argue with Santos... but if you want an OVC candidate, take Antonio Heffner at TSU. He's got Vick like speed and elusivity (new word?) but an absolute cannon of an arm. He's the reason TSU is scary.

Appaholic
July 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'll vote mine based upon championships......Armanti Edwards.....:D

(yes, I know.....xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx )

PSUVikings
July 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'll vote mine based upon championships......Armanti Edwards.....:D

(yes, I know.....xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx )

Hey the guy wins, can't do any better then that.

GreatAppSt
July 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
The First State's Mr. Flacco. xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
July 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hey the guy wins, can't do any better then that.

He Armanti Edwards (APP) is undefeated 13-0.

His first lose will probobly be at Michigan and then he can start another streak !!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

patssle
July 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Rhett Bomar :D

BluehenJK
July 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I think that Joe Flacco from Delaware will have a break out year. He is 6'6" and 230 lbs with a rocket arm so he is definitely one of the top pro prospects.

PSUVikings
July 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Talent wise yeah.

skinny_uncle
July 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Its interesting that on this list there are only 3 or so quarterbacks in the top 50 who are from playoff teams....
They are ranked by completions per game. That just shows the top ranked are from teams who put the pass ahead of the run. Teams with a good running game usually fare better in the playoffs. If you want the best QBs, you should look at passing efficiency stats.
passing efficiency (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org)
The top returning QBs would be:
1. Josh Johnson San Diego
2. Liam Coen UMass
3. Nick Hill SIU
4, Ricky Santos UNH

Go Bison
July 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM

Wait a minute, how can he be the best if he has never won a college game before. Just kidding I just had to say something because the NCAA took all the wins away from Oklahoma.

I would have to go with Santos. He seems like the real deal.

YoUDeeMan
July 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
i watched coen all through high school , and college, this is gonna be this kids year for sure. you should have seen this kids poise, as a tenth grader!

Not much poise in last year's championship game. Missed some critical throws. xrolleyesx

blukeys
July 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Wait a minute, how can he be the best if he has never won a college game before. Just kidding I just had to say something because the NCAA took all the wins away from Oklahoma.

I would have to go with Santos. He seems like the real deal.

I saw Santos and Flacco on the same field. Santos has a linebacker body especially from the waist down. Santos could have been a more than competent Running Back at the FCS level.

Flacco throws harder with all of Santos' accuracy. (Hens receivers dropped way too many in part due to Flacco's velocity)

Santos was more elusive. Flacco has good speed (when healthy, he had leg problems in '06) but he is not the equal of Santos in elusiveness.

Flacco's arm is a CANNON. He will garner more Pro Scout attention than Santos (this might not be fair but so be it)

I have seen I-AA QB's make it to the pros including Jeff Komlo, Mike Buck, Scott Brunner, Andy Hall (taxi squad) and Rich Gannon. I would rate Flacco ahead of all of the above in arm strength with the exception of Brunner.

This in no way is a knock on Santos who I watched in '04 and '06 but as a pure passer Flacco is better.

UNHFan99
July 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Having watched game tape on Flacco he doesnt seem to make the right decisions though. Often overlooks open recievers and throws into coverage. Definitelly physically a big time pro prospect but needs to make better decisions. I think Ricky will have a shot at the pro's because he plays smart on top of a rediculous highlight tape of a career.

Ricky Santos is the obvious choice for the #1 QB in the FCS.

youwouldno
July 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM
If this can be debated, I guess anything can. Santos is the best by a country mile.

appfan2008
July 14th, 2007, 07:39 AM
armanti isnt the best but very well may be the most exciting to watch

semobison
July 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Stats, Schmats, I wouldnt trade Steve Walker for anybody!

james_lawfirm
July 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Not much poise in last year's championship game. Missed some critical throws. xrolleyesx

Man, that's a bit harsh. Another poster may have already mentioned it, but Edwards is a TRUE freshman, who has yet to lose a game at the college level, is 13 - 0 in games he started, and who is only the 5th QB in Div. I history to both run for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season. One of the other QBs to do it was Vince Young - and he was not a freshman.

Like many other App fans, I had heard by the 3rd game of the season that this true freshman was going to start. My first thought was "what were they thinking?" Then, I heard a reporter ask Edwards the following question:

Q: Aren't you a bit nervous here starting the next game as a true freshman at the Defending Nat'l Champs?

Edwards response:
A: Why? It's just football.

That was the best and most sincere response to a loaded question I think I have ever heard. And the best part was Edwards meant it. There was no bravado in his comment. This kid truly likes to play football. And he'll be a good one. By the time he is a senior, there's no telling the records he may have set.

So, to the comment that Edwards was not poised, I would point to his results.

Smendy
July 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Joe Flacco, Delaware, he's a Pitt transfer who's got a rifle arm xhurrayx

umassfan
July 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Man, that's a bit harsh. Another poster may have already mentioned it, but Edwards is a TRUE freshman, who has yet to lose a game at the college level, is 13 - 0 in games he started, and who is only the 5th QB in Div. I history to both run for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season. One of the other QBs to do it was Vince Young - and he was not a freshman.

Like many other App fans, I had heard by the 3rd game of the season that this true freshman was going to start. My first thought was "what were they thinking?" Then, I heard a reporter ask Edwards the following question:

Q: Aren't you a bit nervous here starting the next game as a true freshman at the Defending Nat'l Champs?

Edwards response:

That was the best and most sincere response to a loaded question I think I have ever heard. And the best part was Edwards meant it. There was no bravado in his comment. This kid truly likes to play football. And he'll be a good one. By the time he is a senior, there's no telling the records he may have set.

I believe he aimed that at Coen.

Lionsrking
July 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Why does there have to be ONE guy that is THE BEST? It's highly conceivable that there are multiple guys around the country with similar ability and production and I'm not sure they can be easily separated. It's kinda like reaching into a bag of Doritos, looking to pull out the best one.

ucdtim17
July 15th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Santos, big gap, Johnson, big gap, everyone else

We'll see about Bomar

already123
July 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Santos is the only one worth writing home about....with the exception of Johnson and a couple others, its either too early to tell or not enough has been done to give them the title of "best in FCS"

Umass74
July 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Not much poise in last year's championship game. Missed some critical throws.

Remember, Coen was just a sophomore.

In 2006 he led his team to the National Championship game. Threw for 3,016 yards, 26 TD's and a 65% completion ratio. Ended up with a 160.25 Eff rating.

He has to be one of the top five QBs in the nation.

PSUVikings
July 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
How long has Santos been at UNH?

rcny46
July 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM

He entered school in `03,was redshirted that year,and was on the roster-#4 on the depth chart-going into the `04 season.

Spock
July 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State University.

CopperCat
July 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Santos is the only one worth writing home about....with the exception of Johnson and a couple others, its either too early to tell or not enough has been done to give them the title of "best in FCS"

Ummmm.......aren't you forgetting that one guy from ASU?xeyebrowx

james_lawfirm
July 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I believe he aimed that at Coen.

Oops. My bad.

SoCon48
July 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Who is Armant Edwards?

Answer: Just a rising sophomore whose time will come later. Hide and watch.

YoUDeeMan
July 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Edwards response:

Objection! xsmashx xsmashx

The defendant’s lawyer is redirecting testimony to include a large mix of facts and opinions that are not relevant to this case. xconfusedx

More importantly, the lawyer is defending the wrong man. xeekx xoopsx xlolx

Cohen is guilty as charged. xnodx

SoCon48
July 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM
My vote would be Armanti Edwards. Great athlete, makes great decisions, has a great supporting cast and is a lot of fun to watch. On top of it, the guy's only a sophmore!!!!!!

EP, flattering come from a Phoenix fan, but his stats aren't up there. maybe his time come will come later on.
Hope things are going well for you, BTW.
JC

89Hen
July 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM

He entered school in `03,was redshirted that year,and was on the roster-#4 on the depth chart-going into the `04 season.
And was quickly called up in the season opener against the Hens when everyone in front of him was injured. Somewhere here I posted a picture of him playing against the Hens with Granieri on crutches on the sidelines. xbawlingx

NEWARK, DE (September 2, 2004) -- Redshirt freshman quarterback Ricky Santos took over for injured starter Mike Granieri in the first half and hit on 10 of 11 passes for 146 yards and threw a game-clinching 44-yard touchdown pass to David Ball early in the fourth quarter as New Hampshire upset top-ranked and defending NCAA I-AA national champion University of Delaware Thursday night in the football season opener for both teams at Delaware Stadium.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb04-unh.html

already123
July 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ummmm.......aren't you forgetting that one guy from ASU?xeyebrowx

Like I said...to early to tell. I'm not downplaying his ability or potential, but many quaterbacks have had 1 great year. I just want to see him put up those numbers again before I put him on a top 5 list, ya know?

AppStateold299
July 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Like I said...to early to tell. I'm not downplaying his ability or potential, but many quaterbacks have had 1 great year. I just want to see him put up those numbers again before I put him on a top 5 list, ya know?

I agree with you it is a little early, but we are talking about a true freshman that led his team to a National Championship. Not a redshirt that had a year to learn the playbook and college football. He is a freshman that stepped up and did what only 5 other QB's have done all-time. Anyways, I do believe he has earned the right to mentioned among the best in the land.

Black Saturday
July 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Same stuff said about ASU's Kevin Richardson.

Armanti is for real.

already123
July 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Same stuff said about ASU's Kevin Richardson.

Armanti is for real.

Well then ASU fans shouldn't have a problem with others saying " we will let time tell" then right?? xeyebrowx

ASU_Chad
July 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
They are ranked by completions per game. That just shows the top ranked are from teams who put the pass ahead of the run. Teams with a good running game usually fare better in the playoffs. If you want the best QBs, you should look at passing efficiency stats.
passing efficiency (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org)
The top returning QBs would be:
1. Josh Johnson San Diego
2. Liam Coen UMass
3. Nick Hill SIU
4, Ricky Santos UNH

Really? What if your quarter back runs for over 1000 yards? Think that should count for something.

james_lawfirm
July 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Well then ASU fans shouldn't have a problem with others saying " we will let time tell" then right?? xeyebrowx

I think what they said was "time done told us!"

asu3peat
July 18th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I will agree with A123 on this one. AE is probably the best QB in the nation as far as our offense is concerned. He wouldn't do as well as other QB's in their respective offensive scheme and vice versa. What AE did last year was nothing short of spectacular, but look at his stats. Yeah the 2000/1000 statistic sticks out in everyone's mind, but look at the 15TD/10Int. Not to mention some crucial fumbles that could have cost us but didn't. Those numbers are not the greatest, but I'll take them from a true freshman QB. Does anyone know how many of his 2000 passing yards came after the catch (YAC)? I believe our receivers were helping him out tremendously. Now let's ask ourselves, how many TD did he throw in the National Championship....zero! Please understand I'm not discounting this kids ability, I love him. I think he'll break all kinds of records, but I still want him to improve his decision making ability. I'd put him in my top 7 QB's in the nation. My $.02.

already123
July 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
ASU3Peat but it on the money. Its even beter to hear it coming from an App fan.

Armanti is a great athlete with tremendous upside. However, when talking about "who is this best", I believe you approach the question as ASU3Peat did...how would he do in other systems? When you look at the QBs in question, only a few separate themselves...2 in particular. Johnson could very easily do 2000/1000 and I believe Santos is mobile enough to make some noise in that offense as well. Put AE in USD and UNH's offenses and I believe people would have been calling for his head (at least as a true freshman or at this point in his career). Edwards fell into the perfect system for him with great athletes around him. This is why I say give the kid some time before we start throwing him accolades and what not...

asu3peat
July 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Armanti is a great athlete with tremendous upside. However, when talking about "who is this best", I believe you approach the question as ASU3Peat did...how would he do in other systems? When you look at the QBs in question, only a few separate themselves...2 in particular. Johnson could very easily do 2000/1000 and I believe Santos is mobile enough to make some noise in that offense as well. Put AE in USD and UNH's offenses and I believe people would have been calling for his head (at least as a true freshman or at this point in his career). Edwards fell into the perfect system for him with great athletes around him. This is why I say give the kid some time before we start throwing him accolades and what not...

While you and I are in agreeance, please don't get it wrong, I wouldn't trade our QB for anyone else in the nation!

SoCon48
July 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM

1. Johnson could very easily do 2000/1000 and I believe Santos is mobile enough to make some noise in that offense as well. 1000 yd rushing QB's are rare. Takes some ability. Not just a system. plus tossing for 2000 yds.
2. He has 3 years to improve.
3. Don't see what diff it makes on how he would do in another system. he did what he did. If it was only or even mainly "the system" everybody else would have run the same offense in order to get 2 BTB's.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I will agree with A123 on this one. AE is probably the best QB in the nation as far as our offense is concerned. He wouldn't do as well as other QB's in their respective offensive scheme and vice versa. What AE did last year was nothing short of spectacular, but look at his stats. Yeah the 2000/1000 statistic sticks out in everyone's mind, but look at the 15TD/10Int. Not to mention some crucial fumbles that could have cost us but didn't. Those numbers are not the greatest, but I'll take them from a true freshman QB. Does anyone know how many of his 2000 passing yards came after the catch (YAC)? I believe our receivers were helping him out tremendously. Now let's ask ourselves, how many TD did he throw in the National Championship....zero! Please understand I'm not discounting this kids ability, I love him. I think he'll break all kinds of records, but I still want him to improve his decision making ability. I'd put him in my top 7 QB's in the nation. My $.02.

Now let's ask ourselves, how many TD did he throw in the National Championship....zero

Not sure what that has to do with anything but we might ask just as importantly:

1. Why didn't KR stop on the 10 yard line instead of running the 45 for the TD so Armanti could pass it in?;)
2. Or why didn't we pass on the 6, 4, and 2 yard lines instead of having KR run it on in? Answer, we were doing the smart thing, not what might get AE some passing TD's.
3. Aramanti had more total offense than heralded Coen in the championship game. Doesn't that count for something?
4. Equally as important as the championship game, Armanti scored 3,1, and 2 TD's in the other 3 championship games. Count?

I would guess that since AE had 2000 yds passing that we would have passed more with AE had we needed to. But with a back rushing for 184 yards!!! and keeping possession of the ball being important, why should we toss it up? Didn't work for UMass did it?
Whether he passed for a TD or not, he engineered the drives that won another National Championship over the #2 team in the nation as a true freshman.

lizrdgizrd
July 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Now let's ask ourselves, how many TD did he throw in the National Championship....zero

Not sure what that has to do with anything but we might ask just as importantly:

1. Why didn't KR stop on the 10 yard line instead of running the 45 for the TD so Armanti could pass it in?;)
2. Or why didn't we pass on the 6, 4, and 2 yard lines instead of having KR run it on in? Answer, we were doing the smart thing, not what might get AE some passing TD's.
3. Aramanti had more total offense than heralded Coen in the championship game. Doesn't that count for something?
4. Equally as important as the championship game, Armanti scored 3,1, and 2 TD's in the other 3 championship games. Count?

I would guess that since AE had 2000 yds passing that we would have passed more with AE had we needed to. But with a back rushing for 184 yards!!! and keeping possession of the ball being important, why should we toss it up? Didn't work for UMass did it?
Whether he passed for a TD or not, he engineered the drives that won another National Championship over the #2 team in the nation as a true freshman.
No need to get defensive about AE. He's a great QB who has 3 more years to impress everyone with his abilities. I'd like to see him fix that 15TD/10INT ratio this season. I think he did a great job last season and he's on everyone's radar as a potential #1 QB - he just hasn't proven it yet. xthumbsupx

asu3peat
July 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM

You're right, AE didn't have to throw TD passes because we rode our horse KR to the finish line. KR took so much pressure off of AE...I'd say more than any other running back in the nation did for their QB. I believe that KR made the game easier on AE. Your number one and number two statements are just outlandish at best. I'm not saying run out of bounds to boost his stats, that's ridiculous. I made a factual statement, he did not throw a TD pass in the game. He did however, throw an interception which you failed to mention in all your stats. The boy is bad, there is no disputing that, but the thread asks who's the best QB? IMO, he's not the best, but he will be. I will reiterate my previous statement, I would not trade AE for any other QB in the nation.

birdsflyhigh
July 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I know this thread is about who the BEST QB will be this year, but I thought I'd just give a shout out for Illinois State's QB Luke Drone. He may not be THE best at season's end, but he did throw for 21 TDs and just shy of 3000 yards for his junior season.

It looks like ISU has added some excellent WR transfers, so Luke has the possibility of having a phenomenal senior season. If he puts up even better numbers than his junior season, then he just might be in the discussion of the top 3 or 4 QBs. Really looking forward to this season and seeing what Drone can do now that he has a full arsenal of WRs.

Cool thread! xnodx

APPSTER
July 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
This might not be the best way to gauge who the best QB in the FCS is, but which QB would worry a Defensive Coordinator the most?

Sanders is great and Santos is a stud, but how do you prepare for AE?

CopperCat
July 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
This might not be the best way to gauge who the best QB in the FCS is, but which QB would worry a Defensive Coordinator the most?

Sanders is great and Santos is a stud, but how do you prepare for AE?

You prepare for AE with a defense that exploits its speed. Period.

APPSTER
July 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Pssst...keep it a secret.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
You're right, AE didn't have to throw TD passes because we rode our horse KR to the finish line. KR took so much pressure off of AE...I'd say more than any other running back in the nation did for their QB. I believe that KR made the game easier on AE. Your number one and number two statements are just outlandish at best. I'm not saying run out of bounds to boost his stats, that's ridiculous. I made a factual statement, he did not throw a TD pass in the game. He did however, throw an interception which you failed to mention in all your stats. The boy is bad, there is no disputing that, but the thread asks who's the best QB? IMO, he's not the best, but he will be. I will reiterate my previous statement, I would not trade AE for any other QB in the nation.

Your number one and number two statements are just outlandish at best.

Ummmm. They were sarcasm.

I believe that KR made the game easier on AE

And vice versa. Armanti made KR's permance much easier, too. With AE getting 3000 yds of offense, no one could successfully key on KR.

He did however, throw an interception which you failed to mention in all your stats

Since when is 1 interception not the norm in games? BTW Didn't Coen toss 2 in that game? Only way to avoid throwing interceptions is not to pass.
I (and you) also failed to mention that he threw a total of 2 in the 4 play-off games. That's pretty remarkable and shows his interceptions had pretty much taken care of themselves itself by play-off time. He also had 2 in the WCU game mostly because of a wet heavy ball in the rainstorm.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM

And that's how he got by with 2000 yards passing, too. Gotta prepare for both.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
No need to get defensive about AE. He's a great QB who has 3 more years to impress everyone with his abilities. I'd like to see him fix that 15TD/10INT ratio this season. I think he did a great job last season and he's on everyone's radar as a potential #1 QB - he just hasn't proven it yet. xthumbsupx

Quote" I'd like to see him fix that 15TD/10INT ratio this season. "

If he can get into and through 4 play-off games next year with only 2 in 4 play-off games, I'll be tickled pink and I sure don't care if he throws any TD passes as long as we get the ball into the endzone.:)

Longrifle
July 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I'm not saying AE's the best, but saying he hasn't proven it yet is ridiculous. He's won a national championship, something these other guys have NOT. I think this question is too general to be answered. Who's the best passer? Who's the best runner? Who has the best stats? Who's won a national championship?

lizrdgizrd
July 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I'm not saying AE's the best, but saying he hasn't proven it yet is ridiculous. He's won a national championship, something these other guys have NOT. I think this question is too general to be answered. Who's the best passer? Who's the best runner? Who has the best stats? Who's won a national championship?
AE hasn't proven that he's the best QB or we wouldn't be arguing about it. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
July 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see him fix that 15TD/10INT ratio this season.

If he can get into and through 4 play-off games next year with only 2 in 4 play-off games, I'll be tickled pink and I sure don't care if he throws any TD passes as long as we get the ball into the endzone.:)
I really don't care how he fixes that ratio more TDs or less INTs (or both xsmiley_wix ) as long as it improves and we keep winning. xnodx

Longrifle
July 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
AE hasn't proven that he's the best QB or we wouldn't be arguing about it. xpeacex

I'm saying it depends on how you look at it. If it is who as QB has won a national championship, then nobody else can claim it. If it is who has the best passing stats, then I am sure it would be someone else. If you are saying proving oneself over four years, then sure, AE's not qualified.

already123
July 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
so basically we all believe that he is good, but not great....yet.
K.Great! Its settled...end thread!

SoCon48
July 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm saying it depends on how you look at it. If it is who as QB has won a national championship, then nobody else can claim it. If it is who has the best passing stats, then I am sure it would be someone else. If you are saying proving oneself over four years, then sure, AE's not qualified.
Great points. IMOP.

AE will likely improve every year, but I doubt seriously his passing stats will reach the top of the standings. If so, I doubt we'll be winning the national championships those years . As long as we have the great success running the football and scoring off the run, his passing stats will be secondary.

Passing games cvan be stopped or limited. It's tough to do so if the team also has a great running game.

I'll take winning.

SoCon48
July 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I really don't care how he fixes that ratio more TDs or less INTs (or both xsmiley_wix ) as long as it improves and we keep winning. xnodx

FOR SURE!!!!

Longrifle
July 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
so basically we all believe that he is good, but not great....yet.
K.Great! Its settled...end thread!

You are going to get your chance to see how GOOD he is first hand on September 15th.

SoCon48
July 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
You are going to get your chance to see how GOOD he is first hand on September 15th.

OUCH!

xasswhipx

Jerbearasu
July 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Guess Trey Elder is the second best QB in the nation since he won the National Title as a starter for ASU's '05 club...

AppStateold299
July 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
When Trey Elder left that game ASU was losing the game. Yes passing stats do make a huge push in seeing who is the best quarterback, but you have to factor in the intangeables as well. I mean there isn't another quarterback that has the arm and the legs that Armanti has in the FCS. He passed for a pretty decent amount last year and no one can deny that, and he also ran for as many yards as most teams running backs. That has to count for something. Also him showing his leadership ability and not letting the pressure or anything else get to him in the season. I'm not saying him winning the NC makes him the best, but his stats and his leadership ability put him up there with the elite in the FCS even as a "True" Sophmore.

already123
July 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM
ummm.....Josh Johnson gained 720 yards on only 107 attempts

Not to mention 1000 more yards in 3 less games

Oh yea, he has been doing it for a couple years too.

In short, there are plenty of quaterbacks with a better arm than AE...not many with the legs.
So like I said, lets wait a little while before we try to give him a crown

Saint3333
July 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
ummm.....Josh Johnson gained 720 yards on only 107 attempts

Not to mention 1000 more yards in 3 less games

Oh yea, he has been doing it for a couple years too.

In short, there are plenty of quaterbacks with a better arm than AE...not many with the legs.
So like I said, lets wait a little while before we try to give him a crown

Who needs a crown he's already got the ring.

CopperCat
July 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Who needs a crown he's already got the ring.

I knew that was coming.xrolleyesx

I wonder what App's offense would look like if Armanti didn't have Richardson in the backfield with him.......it seems that the two pronged ground attack is what keeps teams on their heels.

lizrdgizrd
July 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Well if you're just going to measure with rings then we have the best players at every position (minus players that weren't on the team last year). I think you're discounting the help AE got from KR last season. Really good QB? Yes. The best QB in the FCS nation? Not necessarily. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
July 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM

I wonder what App's offense would look like if Armanti didn't have Richardson in the backfield with him.......it seems that the two pronged ground attack is what keeps teams on their heels.
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

I agree with FTG! Lookout the sky is falling!!!!

:D

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
When Trey Elder left that game ASU was losing the game. Yes passing stats do make a huge push in seeing who is the best quarterback, but you have to factor in the intangeables as well. I mean there isn't another quarterback that has the arm and the legs that Armanti has in the FCS. He passed for a pretty decent amount last year and no one can deny that, and he also ran for as many yards as most teams running backs. That has to count for something. Also him showing his leadership ability and not letting the pressure or anything else get to him in the season. I'm not saying him winning the NC makes him the best, but his stats and his leadership ability put him up there with the elite in the FCS even as a "True" Sophmore.

I don't think stat wise we can make a case for Edwards (yet), but as you said there are many more variables than just passing. When you look at Edwards' total offense stats, he stacks up much better with the tops in the statistical standing. Not to mention the way he runs an offense and makes up for any shortcomings we have in maintaining a drive.
Too, when you look at how much offense we got from Kevin's rushing last year, it's easy to see (and be greatful) that we didn't have to rely solely on passing to get us the National Championship.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Without Richardson? His own passing and rushing stats would likely be much higher but we would likely be without the National Championship run.

Too, Edwards threat as a 1000 yard runner and 2000 yard passer opened a lot of opportunities for Richardson. Like you said, a two pronged attack.

asu3peat
July 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Our offense would not drop of as dramatically as people think. KR's back-up, D. Moore, is very solid and continuing to improve. Just ask YSU...he put up around 85 yards against them in the playoffs after KR went down with injury. Had he gotten to 100, we would have had 3, 100 yard rushers that day.

Sam Adams
July 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Santos, Johnson, Edwards, Coen in that order.

Edwards is an amazing athlete, a great football player and a proven winner but as a pure QB I give the nod to Santos and Johnson. If the category was best FCS football player Edwards might be my #1.

Flacco is a big kid and had a great HS career, but his qb rating was mediocre (128), he wasn't a leader in passing yds or tds and ud went 5-6 under his "leadership" last season. Maybe he'll do better this year, or maybe not. having a "cannon" doesn't mean you are the best qb especially when the cannon isn't very accurate.