PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Mid-Major Education

EagleCrusade
August 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Ok, I have to admit, I know next to nothing about the Pioneer Football League. Yet we are playing Morehead State this November and I have heard mixed reviews from people that, well, frankly I dont think know anymore about this team than I do.

After doing some research I have learned they have competed in the PFL championship game the last few years only to lose. I have also heard they gave App a scare (according to those not with ASU) a few years back.

If anyone knows anything about Morehead's program I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Morehead definitely gave App State a scare in 2003. They were driving for the winning score in the fourth quarter of a 21-21 game when ball-hog safety Corey Lynch intercepted a pass deep in App territory. Then with the Mountaineers pinned deep, Richie Williams made a hugely athletic play for a big gain that set up the winning field goal. MSU was tough that day. But this isn't the same team. That team had an experienced QB in David Caudill, a very good possession receiver that kept moving the first-down sticks and had All-American Charles Byrd at cornerback, three players that could have played anywhere. I don't the Eagles are that deep this season, though they are probably good enough to compete for the PFL title again.

EagleCrusade
August 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Do you see them as giving us a game?

They have some things going for them:

1. GS plays FU the previous week, might be a letdown mentally facing a PFL opponent
2. Last game before playoffs, could GS think of this as a tune up instead of a tenacious opponent.
3. Apathy towards a PFL team.

Honestly this game is beginning to raise red flags in my book. This could be dangerous should GS overlook its opponent, or jump out to a big lead early....(see UNH and FIU)

rokamortis
August 22nd, 2005, 12:10 PM
In 2003 they worked us pretty hard. In 2004 we turned it around. They didn't have anyone who could play QB last year. I think their starter got hurt the first game? I think in 2004 they were a good team with bad luck.

Black and Gold Express
August 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Morehead State was the wakeup call to just how much ASU had fallen. MSU was not a bad team at all, but definitely a team that a playoff-caliber program would have rolled over. Something ASU obviously was not then. We got real lucky to win that game.

I would guess that apathy or looking ahead will be more of an obstacle than anything that week. But if y'all do look ahead, they could surprise you.

DetroitFlyer
August 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
As a PFL fan, supporter and University of Dayton alum, I doubt that Morehead State will offer GSU much of a game. Morehead State plays in the weak half of the PFL. Drake, San Diego and Dayton in the North Division usually have not had any trouble beating Morehead State. Morehead State typically wins the South division by default and then proceeds to lose to the far better North Division champion team in the championship. It will probably be a mute point next year when Austin Peay leaves the PFL and divisions cease to exist. Morehead State will likely be competing for 4th place in a single division conference. Rest assurred, however, that I will be routing for Morehead State to pull off the upset and make the PFL proud. There are good players at Morehead State as evidenced as by a couple of recent grads making the NFL.... And as the board says, any given saturday...!

DetroitFlyer
August 23rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah, for the record I think it is great when the PFL plays teams like GSU. A direct result is that many more folks in 1AA know who Morehead State is, who the PFL is and it kind of pulls our "Mid-Major" conference into the mainstream of 1AA. Congratulations to Morehead State for having the guts to schedule this challenging game!