PDA

View Full Version : FCS or I-AA?

catbob
July 12th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I know this topic has been covered a lot, but I don't recall seeing any similar polls about it recently, but I don't check the board every day.

After seeing some reactions of Cat fans in the last few days who are strongly against the name change, I thought I would ask - do you personally refer to our subdivision as FCS or I-AA?

Personally I feel that if even die-hard fans of former I-AA schools can't even learn to accept the name change, then there is no chance it will ever have its desired effect.

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I guess after being military for so long...and having programs change names so often...I found it easy to change...

Only time I use I-AA is if the person I'm talking to gives me that "deer in the headlights" look...I explain that what used to be know as I-AA is now FCS and go on...

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I use FCS on the Board. However, when talking about Ivy or Patriot football with non-AGSers, I find myself using "I-AA" on occasion because of the blank stares I get when I use "FCS" without a "I-AA" intro. Sort of like "the artist formerly known as Prince."

mcveyrl
July 12th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I use FCS on the Board. However, when talking about Ivy or Patriot football with non-AGSers, I find myself using "I-AA" on occasion because of the blank stares I get when I use "FCS" without a "I-AA" intro. Sort of like "the artist formerly known as Prince."

Same here.

Pauly LB
July 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Even STREET and SMITH'S OFFICIAL YEARBOOK -- COLLEGE 2007 FOOTBALL's nationally respected annual publication continues to use the "Division 1-AA" designation. That can be viewed as both good and bad. First of all, unlike many other national publications, at least they write and report about FCS (1-AA) football. Many, no make that most, others do not even bother to write about FCS.

And, if you take a look on page 15 (I am looking at the Far West Regional edition) you will also see at the bottom of the page a section called "Where does your team live? In that section they write:

YOu may not have noticed it last December during the holiday shopping and bowl rush, but the NCAA's new names for Division 1-A and 1-AA football went into effect for this season.
From now on, Division 1-A is now the Football Bowl Subdivision. Division 1-AA is now the Football Championship Subdivision, with its 16-team playoff culminating in the Division 1 football championship.
The reasons behind the semantics were complaints and frustration from 1-AA schools that were often labeled as small-time compared to their BCS brethren. This is taking place even though a school like Rice (FBS) has about 3,000 students, compared with Texas State (FCS) where the enrollment is around 27,100 students.
Will this stop fans and media from referring toi schools as 1-A or 1-AA, or Divison 1 (in reference to Football Bowl Subdivision) schools and Division 2 for the rest? Probably not, but the NCAA is hoping to guilt fans into using the new terms.

My take: As long as the major college football publications continue to refer to FCS as Division 1-AA, the name change absolutely does not stand a chance to be universally accepted. STREET and SMITH continue to use the 1-AA moniker but at least they report about FCS football. They don't seem to care -- why should we ???

Green Cookie Monster
July 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I liked I-AA better

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I think some of the media are forcefully rejecting FBS/FCS.

But eventually they'll all convert.

GannonFan
July 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I actually liked I-AA better - there is a different in the product, on the whole, between FBS and FCS and I think the new name makes it look like we are purposely trying to hoodwink people into thinking there isn't a difference. I love watching FCS so I don't care that there is a difference - it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the product one bit. And yes, I find myself using the I-AA term when talking to people who have not heard of the change to FCS - it'll be awhile still before people become accustomed to that nomenclature. Have patience.

NE MT GRIZZ
July 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I say FCS more often but I prefer 1-AA. When you talk to people about the division, at they know it is division 1 when you say 1-AA.

MarkCCU
July 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
i say FCS but a lot of people don't know it switched.

SU Jag
July 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
1-AA, I hated the name change!

OB55
July 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Think it would have been a lot simpler to go back to the old method.

D-1 (BCS)
D-II (FCS)
D-III (D-II)
D-IV (D-III)

Sure, many would feel slighted, but nobody would be confused anymore after a short while. Makes too much sense, and is to simple, therefore it can't be done that way.

BDKJMU
July 12th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'll continue using I-AA for 4 reasons:
-I'm kind of an old school guy
-I got tired of trying to explain to people the FCS/FBS. Probably 99% of the college football fans are totally or mostly unfamiliar with it
-The sports writers/publications are still mostly using A/AA.
-When the sports writers do use FCS/FBS they are writing out the whole thing instead of using the acronyms. You can write after Division I the "A", 1 letter, or "FBS" 3 letters, and "AA", 2 letters or "FCS", 3 letters. But for god's sake, don't write out the whole "Football Bowl Subdivision", 23 letters, or "Football Championship Subdivision", 31 letters. These sports writers need to use the KISS principle!

GGASU
July 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
The only reason I like FCS over I-AA is because the playoff winner now officially is the....

NCAA Division I Champion

That really pisses a lot of the big boys off. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
July 12th, 2007, 10:23 AM

D-1 (BCS)
D-II (FCS)
D-III (D-II)
D-IV (D-III)

Sure, many would feel slighted, but nobody would be confused anymore after a short while. Makes too much sense, and is to simple, therefore it can't be done that way.

And when people wonder aloud how Div. II Southern Illinois got into the NCAA Div. I BBall tournament?

Give it time, and get used to it. It ain't going away.

DFW HOYA
July 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The "old" method was the University Division (I) and the College Division (II and III). The way Div. II continues to move into D-I, maybe there are only two divisions going forward.

I-AA is fine by me. I think the "Division I" half of the name is still more important that the playoff series that one third of the subdivision does not participate in.

FargoBison
July 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM

D-1 (BCS)
D-II (FCS)
D-III (D-II)
D-IV (D-III)

You don't call DI schools DII, that is ridiculous. I-AA was ok, it still had I in the label but DII is just wrong.

BDKJMU
July 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
The only reason I like FCS over I-AA is because the playoff winner now officially is the....

NCAA Division I Champion

That really pisses a lot of the big boys off. xthumbsupx

Yeah, but if you ask probably 99% of college football fans who the Div I national champ was for last season, they'll say Florida, and if try to argue with them that ASU was, they'll probably look at look like you're smoking something, and then you'll have to sit there and explain for a couple of minutes the whole new FBS/FCS thing. I bet the "big boys" could care less. xcoffeex

Eyes of Old Main
July 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I-AA > FCS.

I use FCS here so as not to be singled out by the zealots, but in talking with other football fans, both of the big and smaller schools, I use I-AA. I also use I-AA on Terrierfans.

People are familiar with it, understand it, and it has some identitiy. FCS doesn't and is therefore confusing and counter-productive. I've even had people ask be what the differences are between FCS and the "bigger divisions" like D-II.

I don't like FCS and who knows, I might even start using I-AA openly here on AGS and just argue with whoever says anything.

NDSUFREAK
July 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've easily made the transition of saying FCS. My friends all look at me weird because they don't quite know that I am talking about the past I-AA.

Seahawks Fan
July 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I liked I-AA better

Me too. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

OB55
July 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well lets just ask a question, forget about the subdivisions, think in general terms.

Is it better to have one A or two As?

I wonder if that is the reason for the change last year. xnodx

As for the confusion come basketball time.............xeyebrowx

already123
July 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I say Div I is DI. Whats wrong with having different classifications like "mid-Majors" or whatever like Basketball does? Things seem to work out for them

Mort
July 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
The problem I have with the name change is this - what will happen when the FBS 'big boys' finally get around to adopting some sort of playoff, even if it only involves 4 teams and two of the bowls, and then declare that the winner of that 'playoff system' is the national champion. The claim that FCS aka I-AA now has to its 'championship series' title will go out the window because the 'big boys' will claim (and market) their 'playoffs' as a championship determining system, thereby trumping the current FCS/I-AA moniker of 'Football Championship Series'.

I know many think the big boys will never go to a playoff system but I think they are moving that direction. They now have a designated national championship game and when there gets to be enough money on the table, they'll go to a 4 or 8 team playoff utilizing the existing bowls and college football will be played into mid-January.

What happens then will be yet another name change for the current FCS because you know the big boys aren't going to want the 'little boys' (in their eyes) continuing to use 'FCS'. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA just goes back to the old I-A and I-AA monikers. xtwocentsx

WUTNDITWAA
July 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
The division is called the Football Championship Subdivision. I-AA is no more, so I'll call it the FCS -- though I think I-AA was less clumsy. However, I don't jump on anyone who prefers to call it I-AA. Heck, in time one or two things will happen for me. Either Appalachian will move into the FBS, where nobody seems to care what the two divisions are called (this is not an invitation to debate the positives of FBS or why it sucks), or the names will officially change again. xreadx

foghorn
July 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
ESPN is currently running a story on Portland State football and its new coach, Jerry Glanville. On several occasions, both Glanville and the ESPN commentator, refer to PSU as playing in I-AA and also that PSU would like to play some 'D-I' teams such as Oregon or Oregon St. When referring to what is now FBS, or what was then, D-IA, the major schools are still called D-1, and I guess, always will be.
It doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me, however, are those who are so insistent that "we're D-1 too", that they must always correct someone who has the audacity to refer to D-IAA (FCS) as something other than D-1. I mean, SO WHAT?, that's just the way it is. The only solution would be to just do away with sub-divisions, and have all D-1 schools under the same umbrella, PERIOD. xcoffeex

henfan
July 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
What does bother me, however, are those who are so insistent that "we're D-1 too", that they must always correct someone who has the audacity to refer to D-IAA (FCS) as something other than D-1.

Haven't heard of "D-1" but I have seen the term, "D-I".xoopsx xlolx (That's really going to drive ol' Fog' nutso!)

As Yogi Berra might have said, "Even when they get it wrong, they can't even get it right!" ;)

Honestly, it hasn't caused me a lot of issues simply calling it FCS, as opposed to I-AA. Then again, I don't remember having too much of a problem adjusting to calling it D-II when UD switched over from the Small College Division either.

foghorn
July 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Haven't heard of D-1 but I have seen the term, "D-I".xoopsx xlolx

As Yogi Berra might have said, "Even when they get it wrong, they can't even get it right!" ;)

Actually, I really meant D-1, just to get a response.xsmiley_wix

BrevardMountaineer03
July 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I've really started calling it the right thing since after the playoffs when I heard the commentators calling it I-AA. I figure it's what it's called whether I like it or not.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Actually, hearing our schools referred to as anything less than Division I does bother me. But the evolution of the name change is so much worse:

Big schools (meaning big $$$ schools) can afford the extra scholarships for football, so a division in classification must be there, but a school's program must participate on the same level for all other sports as well, so there's the inherent problem.

Enter I-A and I-AA, but people read it 2A, which leads them to think "those schools are D2" ---> In comes NCAA to mandate a name change (at the proud rise of the poor schools' influence) and we get FBS and FCS, only after the NCAA already used the god awful BCS.

And you say be patient? Nope, I think it'll never catch on. People will call it what people want to call it. Only the media MIGHT make a difference.

Just call us all D-I and be done with it. We play in playoffs, they play in bowls, so be it. Period. xcoffeex

already123
July 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
why not just name the division by the number of scholarships they have? In the end that is the major difference (that can be counted or documented) between all divisions. Now, what to name them....?

BEAR
July 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I hate the term I-AA only because UCA just came from division II and most people here equate division II with division I-AA (those double AAs appear to be equal to division II in many people's eyes. II=AA, not A. ) I hear people say " UCA plays double A ball, or UCA is division II in football, not IA. " It's the same in their minds. Mainly because they don't know better or they believe the media or whatever. xrolleyesx

Of course we in the now FCS community know better, but public perception ruins it for the schools. I don't know how to fix it except just call everyone division I like they do in basketball. When I tell people UCA is division I, I say things like UCA will be playing Kentucky this year in basketball and played UConn last year in basketball. UCA is a division I school. But I get the impression most of them see it as a sub-division I school overall because football isn't a bowl level program. That drives me crazy! xmadx xmadx xmadx But the media will continue it's onslaught of making FCS an inferior level and continue throwing advertising $ at FBS, BCS schools or whatever they are called now.

Question: Is the bowl champion recognized by the NCAA as the national champions of the NCAA? or is the FCS champion the one in the official record books? xeyebrowx xconfusedx

catbob
July 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
You have to realize that a big reason for the name change wasn't pertaining to football. Other programs would be called "I-AA", such as our basketball programs, baseball, you name it. Football is THE only Division I sport that has different classifications. Hell I've heard people call a school with a I-AA program a I-AA school! What does that even mean?

The point wasn't to make it seem as though our football is comparable to theirs. It was designed to try and remove the connotations that other sports at schools competing at the I-AA level are NOT full-fledged DI programs.

Like it or not, I suggest you folks get with the times and stop being laggards! I-AA is done.

BDKJMU
July 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
You have to realize that a big reason for the name change wasn't pertaining to football. Other programs would be called "I-AA", such as our basketball programs, baseball, you name it. Football is THE only Division I sport that has different classifications. Hell I've heard people call a school with a I-AA program a I-AA school! What does that even mean?

The point wasn't to make it seem as though our football is comparable to theirs. It was designed to try and remove the connotations that other sports at schools competing at the I-AA level are NOT full-fledged DI programs.

Like it or not, I suggest you folks get with the times and stop being laggards! I-AA is done.

Just because there's a significant # of ignorant people out there who were calling non football sports IAA (idiots) wasn't enough reason for a name change. And like it or not, IAA isn't done- just pick up any college football preview magazine, and watch the college football coverage on TV, newspapers, magazines, and sports websites this fall. About the only place IAA is done is on this message board.

McTailGator
July 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Just call us all D-I and be done with it. We play in playoffs, they play in bowls, so be it. Period. xcoffeex

That is what I say.

It's all D-I. Much less confusing

catbob
July 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Just because there's a significant # of ignorant people out there who were calling non football sports IAA (idiots) wasn't enough reason for a name change. And like it or not, IAA isn't done- just pick up any college football preview magazine, and watch the college football coverage on TV, newspapers, magazines, and sports websites this fall. About the only place IAA is done is on this message board.

That's all well and good, but the regulating body of college football says otherwise.

ngineer
July 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I still have to (slightly) pause and remember to say FCS rather than I-AA, but it's becoming more and more part of my vocabulary...

appsfan
July 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
When talking to typical fans, when I refer to FCS I have to say, "FCS which was the old One Double A," so they grasp what I an talking about. To be honest I have no problem with the I-AA moniker. In NC High School Football we have 4 classifications (4A- largest schools, 3A, 2A, and 1A -smallest schools) so most fans are used to the multiple A usage. I think in time, if the NCAA sticks to its guns, the FCS name will be accepted.

Casey_Orourke
July 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I catch myself using the old 1-AA nomenclature instead of FCS, but even then, the FBS still considers themselves the elite of college football (two of the worst are Texas and Texas A&M) and the FCS as lesser schools. They are so caught up in their superior attitudes that they never even catch the satire when I refer to the FBS and their "FICTIONAL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP".

IMOHO until some of the quality players coming out of the various high schools begin to snub the BCS teams for the FCS and an actual championship tourney and a real education we are doomed to be considered as the "SISTERS OF THE POOR".

skinny_uncle
July 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
And when people wonder aloud how Div. II Southern Illinois got into the NCAA Div. I BBall tournament?

Give it time, and get used to it. It ain't going away.
After six straight trips to the NCAAs and a pair of Sweet 16 appearances, I doubt if anyone is calling Southern Illinois Div. II. Their last year as a College Division school (the old designation) was in 1967 when they won the NIT.

JohnStOnge
July 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I do try to remember to use "FCS" and think I usually do but I like the term "I-AA" better. I still use "I-AA" when referring to games prior to the start of the 2006 playoffs because that's what it was back then.

BDKJMU
July 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
That's all well and good, but the regulating body of college football says otherwise.

Not according to the "Official Website For NCAA Sports" which calls the playoffs the "2007: 30th ANNUAL DIVISION I-AA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP"
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/schedules

I wouldn't get too used to FCS & FBS. As soon as the IA/FBS goes to a playoff (even just a 4 team playoff, which would be the 1st step, which I believe will happen within the next decade) then the NCAA will have to do another name change because when both levels have a playoffs, it would look pretty stupid to call one FBS and one FCS.

catbob
July 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Yea that is odd they still have I-AA on that site, but they also have a website http://www.div1fbchampionship.com/ which simply says "NCAA Division I Football Championship".

813Jag
July 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I use FCS when talking to people familiar with the name change. Otherwise I use I-AA (but I try to sneak in the fact that the name's been changed). If I use FCS with those people they just look at me xconfusedx .