PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Scoreboard Construction Gallery

TXST_CAT
July 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Demolition Marks Beginning of Scoreboard Project

Football scoreboard set for completion in mid-August

July 11, 2007

SAN MARCOS - Cabling and wires coiled like snakes in a pit below the Reynolds Sign crew as they unbolted and cut away at the steel housings of the faded scoreboard in Bobcat Stadium. Sparks danced as a crew member used an acetylene gas cutting torch to break free the casing that held some of the stadium's speakers.

By the end of the day Tuesday, all that was left of the 10-year old scoreboard was metal girders which framed different views into the stadium as commuters passed on Aquarena Springs Drive.

The demolition marks the beginning of a $1.5 million project approved by the Texas State University System to construct new scoreboards with video capabilities at Bobcat Stadium and Strahan Coliseum as well as the baseball and softball facilities of Bobcat Field. Also in the project package will be two message centers on Aquarena Springs, one outside Bobcat Stadium and one adjacent to Strahan Coliseum.

Full Story and Picks

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071107aaa.html

ysuallthetime
July 12th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Cool video boards are so nice. It gets you really pist though when the officials blow a call

McNeese72
July 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Seems like everybody in the Southland is getting or has gotten a new video scoreboards. I wonder how many of the Southland school's still have the old ones?

I really like the one we got in 2005.

Doc

TXST_CAT
July 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
The scoreboard for football at Bobcat Stadium will be the largest of the new scoreboards, encompassing approximately 1,800 square feet. It will contain a video screen measuring 390 square feet.

How does this stack among FCS teams that have video boards. I know the Idea was to have the largest in the SLC. I think the Bears may have us by a few inches.

patssle
July 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM
How does this stack among FCS teams that have video boards. I know the Idea was to have the largest in the SLC. I think the Bears may have us by a few inches.

I think they beat you literally by 1 inch. But meh, content is more important. SFA's is a tad larger than ours but their production sucks majorly.

Demon Fan
July 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Seems like everybody in the Southland is getting or has gotten a new video scoreboards. I wonder how many of the Southland school's still have the old ones?

Doc

Doc,

I spoke with our SID at a meeting last Tuesday evening and he informs me that Northwestern State's board will most likely not be ready until the middle of later part of our season. More foot dragging and lack of communication from the Louisiana Board of Regents. I'm not surprised! xmadx

patssle
July 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Doc,

I spoke with our SID at a meeting last Tuesday evening and he informs me that Northwestern State's board will most likely not be ready until the middle of later part of our season. More foot dragging and lack of communication from the Louisiana Board of Regents. I'm not surprised! xmadx

Wow that sucks. Texas State is suppose to have their board ready on August 15, which is really cutting it close. If there is any delay, theirs won't be ready in time either.

Freightliner
July 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Doc

I'm pretty sure Southeastern and Nicholls would be the only two teams not having boards (any help from golionsgo & colonels fans would be appreciated)

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Nicholls has a video board, but oddly enough it is incapable of displaying video.

Only computer graphics.

Green Cookie Monster
July 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sure wish our regents would approve something like this. In California the schools receive NO funding for athletic specific projects.

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Are you talking about just the CSU system or UC too?

JoshUCA
July 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
There has been no official word about UCA's board released from the university, but I e-mailed the athletic director and he said that they are wanting to time the release of that information with some other stuff. So we will just have to wait and see. However, our first home game is not until September 15, so that gives us a couple more weeks than TX State.

travelinman67
July 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Definitely a TX thang...got to hand it to you guys down there...was in College Station last spring...virtually everything that was discussed they compared themselves to UT..they were most excited about their new 3500sf "Jumbotron" which was (at that moment in time and space) going to be bigger than UT's....don't think it was a week or two later I heard about UT's plans for a 7,300sf "Godzillatron". I'm expecting A&M to come up with a 14million sf "wrap around" screen with 360deg vision, sometime in the next couple of years.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Out here in CA, any projects NOT for ADA compliance usually get buried...If we could just convince the Board of Regents that visually impaired people NEED a 7,300 sf display screen to appropriately see the gamexthumbsupx ...maybe hire women owned business to install them...xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

It's gotta be larger than our "minitron" xlolx :o

So everything's gotta be bigger in Texas, right? xoopsx

bobcatalum05
July 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Coca Cola renewed their very large contract with the University. The boards are being paid for thru this contract. State funds are not paying for the Video Boards.

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
don't think it was a week or two later I heard about UT's plans for a 7,300sf "Godzillatron".

Yeah but they almost never have the whole thing showing action.

It shows a lot of ads most of the time.

RabidRabbit
July 12th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Bobcats! We in Rabbit country appreciate the opportunity to build and bring in your stadium scoreboard!

The new scoreboards are being built by Daktronics of Brookings, S.D., and will include Daktronics ProStar Video Displays. The displays will be capable of showing live video, instant replays, animation, graphics and other information using full-color LED technology. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Daktronics is a goldmine.

No one else is making LED video display boards right now.

Every single new video board is Daktronics.

patssle
July 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
virtually everything that was discussed they compared themselves to UT

uhh yeah. I have nothing against Aggies, but they are OBSESSED with being better than UT. It's just plain pathetic. They are also obsessed with traditions and diversity (them being a mostly white school), so Aggies like to obsess ;)

Yeah but they almost never have the whole thing showing action.

UT videoboard sucks compared to A&M. Anybody whos been to both stadiums would agree. UT's may be larger, but the content is NOWHERE nearly as good as A&Ms. Which is why I always argue bigger is not always better when it comes to videoboards.

BEAR
July 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM
UCA announced today it will have it's scoreboard up for the Sept. 15th game with UT Martin. Here it is as shown on http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=1&article=1961.

http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-videoboard.jpg

Largest videoscreen in the SLC and made by Rainey Electronics..don't know if that is associated with you Rabbit fans! xlolx I've seen the one at DS Park and the picture quality if fantastic. Glad to see SLC schools stepping up in the video screen department making it more fan friendly! xthumbsupx

Demon Fan
July 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Sure wish our regents would approve something like this. In California the schools receive NO funding for athletic specific projects.

Oh, the Regents didn't fund the boards (that came from athletic association donations); but they have to have their say and put their blessing on any construction on campus.

NSUDemon98
July 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Doc,

I'm not suprised either...that f-cking sucks. xmadx

BEAR
July 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the typical red tape..xmadx

I think the UCA board was donated..I don't think the university would penny out for that monster..xmadx

McTailGator
July 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Louisiana schools get zero for capital projects like scoreboard.

We paid for ours with the money we made from advertisers. One sponsor alone guaranteed 1 million over 10 years, which more than paid for it alone. All the other ads and comercials we sell are money in our pockets.

That's the way to buy a new score board for your team.

patssle
July 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
yeah most videoboards pay themselves off.

Some are different though, SFA got their videoboard and scoreboard for free sponsored by Ford, but Ford dosn't pay them at all. Its a short term solution, but long term you should be making money off your videoboard. SFA won't get any revenue from that giant Ford logo.

Though, there a limit to commercials. SMU, UT, and SFA play way too many commercials on their videoboards, its ridiculous. I'm glad to say SHSU plays more athletic videos than most schools in Texas, cept for A&M.

GeauxColonels
July 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Yes, we've had a board for at least 5 or 6 years....but all I've ever seen on it was computer generated images and advertisements...no live video.

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Lionsrking
July 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Word is we may be getting a video board for the 2008 season. Our parking garage and press box should be ready by then as well. Our new lights are going up as we speak.

slycat
August 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
updated pics of the new scoreboard. lookin greatxthumbsupx

http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/board_1_small.jpg

http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/board_2_small.jpg

Jaguar79
August 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Louisiana schools get zero for capital projects like scoreboard.

We paid for ours with the money we made from advertisers. One sponsor alone guaranteed 1 million over 10 years, which more than paid for it alone. All the other ads and comercials we sell are money in our pockets.

That's the way to buy a new score board for your team.

Sponsors paid for ours too .....as a matter of fact, it is almost a replica of McNeese's, without the cowboy of course. And both of these badboys are huge.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 12th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sponsors paid for ours too .....as a matter of fact, it is almost a replica of McNeese's, without the cowboy of course. And both of these badboys are huge.You mean McNeese's is a replica of SU's :D . We had our's first xlolx . At one point in time SU had the largest system in FCS. SU's sponsers paid the entire 4 million :D .

Cap'n Cat
August 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cool video boards are so nice. It gets you really pist though when the officials blow a call

Like when Northern Iowa holds..........

xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

slycat
August 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Like when Northern Iowa holds..........

xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

or your kicker gets "hit".;)

slycat
August 15th, 2007, 12:56 AM
new pic with letters on top

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/genrel/auto_player/1276842.jpeg

chrisattsu
August 15th, 2007, 09:01 AM
new pic with letters on top

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/txst/sports/genrel/auto_player/1276842.jpeg

I was drive on I-35 last night and I could see the Texas State sign. That was really cool. If the rumors are true and the sign will be backlit at night, that will be great advertising for the university.

FormerPokeCenter
August 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
You mean McNeese's is a replica of SU's :D . We had our's first xlolx . At one point in time SU had the largest system in FCS. SU's sponsers paid the entire 4 million :D .

That's okay. So we copied your video board. You guys came to The Hole and borrowed the plans for the SkyRanch....Your Pressbox is very nearly identical to ours....

Jaguar79
August 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
That's okay. So we copied your video board. You guys came to The Hole and borrowed the plans for the SkyRanch....Your Pressbox is very nearly identical to ours....

Very true and both nice. We both came out pretty good with those.

furman94
August 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Our Scoreboard :
Yikes! Hasnt been changed in ages! That black strip at the top is a dated graphics board. Its aweful. I wish one of our sponsors could help us out a little bit.