PDA

View Full Version : The Toughest Team On Your Schedule Physically

Ruler 79
July 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
The team on your schedule that outright is/was nasty

2007 No brainer Montana...Huge and they are not a finesse team.

2006 RMC...Coaches tell me the score was close but one of the most physical games played last season. They beat each other senseless.

2005 UMASS/Maine...Just pounded UA on both sides of the ball.

Tribe4SF
July 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
W&M

2007...I'm guessing it will be Va Tech.

2006...Maryland/UMass toss-up.

Col Hogan
July 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
IMHO

2007 - Boston College
2006 - APPY, Montana

OL FU
July 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Clempson (as their fans pronounce itxsmiley_wix )

mcveyrl
July 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I would guess the Tah-hills (if we're going with fan pronounciations). But, if UD's defense perks up, this might be a toss-up.

Last year - App State

terrierbob
July 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
West Virginia.

Death Dealer
July 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Definitely Clemson.

MplsBison
July 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Montana...Huge and they are not a finesse team.

They sit back in shot gun and chuck the ball 80 times a game.

How is that not a finesse team?

Ruler 79
July 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
OK, Montana is a bunch of candy a$$'s is that better?

I was told they will run a 240lbs rb at you 25 times a game. They have a huge O line. How is that a finesse team?

Col Hogan
July 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Let's see - 31 Passing attempts, 23 running plays in the semi-finals for Montana...

MplsBison, remember what I told you before...

rmutv
July 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Albany.

The defense is tough and mean, and Robert Morris came out pretty banged up the last time. Monmouth will be tough, too, and that game is now earlier in the season with the schedule change.

Duquesne is a great rivalry, but they tend to win via the passing game and good defense in the secondary, not necessarily in the trenches.

AggieFinn
July 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Portland State, San Jose State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State are all physical. Not sure about Northeastern, but if it's anything like that Boston bar brawl I survived in 1998, I'm sure they'll bring some punch to Agtown.

http://www.logoserver.com/college/PortlandState.GIFhttp://www.logoserver.com/college/SanJoseStateSpartans3.GIFhttp://www.logoserver.com/college/NorthDakotaStateBison2.GIFhttp://www.logoserver.com/college/SouthDakotaStateJackH.GIF

HIU 93
July 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Strange to say this, but it is probably Howard. They hit hard and play very physical. We'll still beat them 52-10, but their defense will beat us up pretty bad.

GannonFan
July 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Navy.

813Jag
July 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Physically AAMU or UAPB. They just line up and run at you, were're not built for that type of football

dennisdent
July 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
2007: BC and Maine

2006: App State and Maine

Ever (that I saw): Kansas State--it took the team a few weeks to physically recover from that game.

already123
July 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
NAU plays 3 Top 10 teams this year (Griz, App, and PSU) however, I would give the crown of the most physically tought team to UofA....their defense is one to be acknowledged in the PAC-10...NAU will have their hands full

mlbowl
July 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Let's see - 31 Passing attempts, 23 running plays in the semi-finals for Montana...

LMFAOxlolx

Seawolf97
July 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
2006 - No doubt UNH and UMass - pounded us and on back to back Saturdays.
2007- It will be Youngstown State and Maine for Homecoming. Hofstra and Richmond we might be in both those games but tough nonetheless.

GOKATS
July 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Without a doubt Texas A&M

NE MT GRIZZ
July 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Buy yourself a time machine and go back to 1995 and your statement will be true

xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
My guess for 2007 is Portland State.

I think it was South Florida in 2006 and Southern Miss in 2005.

poly51
July 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Iona

Go...gate
July 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
UMass and Lafayette.

Mountaineer2825
July 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
This is easy, Michigan.

Lionsrking
July 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Not counting the FBS schools on our schedule, I'll say Northwestern State and Stephen F. Austin will be the most physical teams for us in 2007. They were the two most physical we played last year and both return just about everything.

TheValleyRaider
July 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM
UMass and Lafayette.

It was definately those two last year, and I'd add Cornell also. They kicked us in the teeth in more ways than one. xmadx

If UMass actually tries to be physical again this year, they might actually get their first win ever in Hamilton. xtwocentsx

CopperCat
July 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM

You couldn't be more wrong.

ISUMatt
July 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Missouri

Grizalltheway
July 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM

xdohx xdohx xdohx

Those stats are really a buzz kill, aren't they Mpls?xrulesx

Mountaineer#96
July 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
2007- Michigan (TBD)
2006- NC State (should have won this one although)
2005- LSU (played them tough for three quarters)

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM
For Lehigh, Lafayette and perhaps Yale this year.

GeeWiz
July 11th, 2007, 11:18 PM
2006 - Va. Tech, UMass, UMaine

2007 - UMass, UMaine (not sure about Northwestern)

Proud Griz Man
July 11th, 2007, 11:56 PM

I was told they will run a 240lbs rb at you 25 times a game. They have a huge O line. How is that a finesse team?

Oh, don't worry about those Big Sky Conference teams. Big Fluffies. ;) xcoffeex

ysubigred
July 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
1. tOhio State Suckeyes (No contest).

2. Gateway Football conference - Indy State ;)

ysubigred
July 12th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Youngstown

I'll tell'em to take it easy on you guys xsmiley_wix

katstrapper
July 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
2006-- SMU ( I was suprised at how big this team was), Central Arkansas
2007-- North Dakota State, McNeese St,

RabidRabbit
July 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
For the Rabbits -

2007 - NDSU & Poly, possibly Youngstown/UNI

2006 - Montana, NDSU

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I would guess the Tah-hills (if we're going with fan pronounciations). But, if UD's defense perks up, this might be a toss-up.

Last year - App State

Agreed, and Bloomsburg - yes Div 2 Bloomsburg - was a not so distant 2nd IMO. xrotatehx xeekx

2005 - UMass I think, although the mud pit made it kinda hard to tell. Thank God we won't have to deal with that ever again!

2004 - Furman. They should've won the NC that year and we stole it from them right in their house. Ha ha! :p

DuckDuckGriz
July 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM

xconfusedx Maybe do some research before making that post.

Anyway, most physical teams IMO for the Griz

2007 - Montana State (the flex D they have is tough, and games with them are always low scoring, hard-hitting lately), Albany (again, tough D)

2006 - UMass, Iowa
2005 - Oregon, Cal Poly (Gocong was a stud)
2004 - JMU, SHSU (in Huntsville)

RichH2
July 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Most physical team for Lehigh probably Lafayette or Princeton Yale with their rbs and a running qb will be tough also

813Jag
July 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Since people are going back a couple of years here goes:
2005 - Grambling ( they threw the ball alot but it's tough with a QB like Eugene scrambling and running the Wing-T with FB Ruben Mayes and RB Ab Kuuan) Also AAMU and UAPB.
2004 - McNeese St. (really strong run game) South Dakota St. (I was surprised how big there O-Line was xeekx ). Also Grambling (they ran the ball almost the whole game)

Tailbone
July 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
How ironic that these comments came from a JMU fan...

2005 - UMass I think, although the mud pit made it kinda hard to tell. Thank God we won't have to deal with that ever again!

.....or minefields in a game of the magnitude of the NC.

2004 - Furman. They should've won the NC that year and we stole it from them right in their house. Ha ha! :p

Actually, that should have read " Montana. They should've won the NC that year".......(see reference to 2005).

:D

Jag4Life
July 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
AAMU. They always keep a good defense.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Tailbone - The Question being asked was about toughness.

Montana was as talented a team as we faced all year in 2004 (except for WVU), but regardless of the minefield in Chattanooga you refer to, our O-line wore their D down more so than we were able to do against either Furman that year or UMass in 2005.

And neither team's AD/Conference Rep. had any control over the playing surface in Chatty. Can't say the same for the one in Massachussets. BUt now we are in the CAA, new leadership, and UMass took the cue of so many other schools and upgraded to FieldTurf.

(NOTE: This is not an evil attempt to bait MplsBison into a FieldTurf vs. Natural Grass debate with the Delaware fans!!!)

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM
No need to debate them.

Delaware will be getting their turf in the next couple years and there's nothing that they can do about it.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM
No need to debate them.

Delaware will be getting their turf in the next couple years and there's nothing that they can do about it.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
No need to debate them.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Are you actually saying that even if the Delaware leadership says they will remain natural grass, there is nothing they can do and will be forced to get turf?

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Maverick
July 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Of course, BSBison is going to come down there and personally install it himself! (at least if they give him time off from the gas station when they hire a new pump jockey!)

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Are you actually saying that even if the Delaware leadership says they will remain natural grass, there is nothing they can do and will be forced to get turf?

If the NCAA mandates a consistent playing surface, then they would have no choice.

MPLSGRIZZLY
July 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM

This year it will be two 240lbs rb's at you all game.

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
If the NCAA mandates a consistent playing surface, then they would have no choice.

Do you have any information that the NCAA is considering mandating a specific type of surface?

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
It' a very real possibility.

A ton of DI schools have made the switch in the last 5 years alone.

I could very much see it getting to the point where the schools with it start complaining about the poor and downright dangerous conditions of the schools that don't have it.

It's just an unnecessary risk to the athletes.

Would your athletic director let your basketball team play a team whose home court was gravel?

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
It' a very real possibility.

A ton of DI schools have made the switch in the last 5 years alone.

I could very much see it getting to the point where the schools with it start complaining about the poor and downright dangerous conditions of the schools that don't have it.

It's just an unnecessary risk to the athletes.

I'll try asking a direct question again...not asking for opinion or desire.....

Do you have any information that the NCAA is considering mandating a specific type of surface?

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
If I did I wouldn't be allowed to post it on a message board.

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
So the answer is no, you have no specific information...

You are only posting your wishes...your desires...nothing based on knowledge that any change is coming...

"If the NCAA mandates..."

My daddy use to tell me "If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts when they jumped..."

If is the biggest word in the English Language...yet you use it in such a small way...IF.....

jmufootball2
July 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Northeastern, we pounded you worse than tech did last year and you didnt even list us.

already123
July 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I didn't think this was as smack page....?

Col Hogan
July 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Would your athletic director let your basketball team play a team whose home court was gravel?

xeyebrowx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Took me a minute to catch this one.....

I don't have the NCAA rules in front of me, but the last time I checked, gravel is not an approved surface for basketball...grass is an approved surface for football....

APPLES to WATERMELONS, VERY BIG WATERMELONS

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Northeastern, we pounded you worse than tech did last year and you didnt even list us.

That was a combination of them being tired (4th road game in a row), JMU being pumped for the home game, and a lot of other things. JMU didn't get a chance to show them how tough the Dukes were, the game was over too damn quick. ;) For those who weren't there: 21-0 after 1Q; 42-0 at the half! xeekx

Northeastern will be a tough road game for the Dukes this year. xnodx
But the Dukes will prevail! xsmiley_wix xpeacex

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
gravel is not an approved surface for basketball...grass is an approved surface for football

First of all, I don't think there actually is a list of approved surfaces for football.

But second of all, there is a precedent and a protocol that the NCAA could use to establish one: basketball must be played on a wood floor.

It's absolutely no different for football.

The surface needs to be consistent for the sake of the player's health.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
xoopsx Why did I ever say "MplsBison" and "FieldTurf" in the same post!? xoopsx

:D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Appalachian State...ASU GSU is always a very physical game.

DaGriz
July 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM
xconfusedx Maybe do some research before making that post.

Anyway, most physical teams IMO for the Griz

2007 - Montana State (the flex D they have is tough, and games with them are always low scoring, hard-hitting lately), Albany (again, tough D)

2006 - UMass, Iowa
2005 - Oregon, Cal Poly (Gocong was a stud)
2004 - JMU, SHSU (in Huntsville)

I agree with these. MSU always has tough linebackers that can hit as well.
I would add Cal Poly to every year we have played them. They can hit on defense. Their O is usually finesse and D is hard hitting.

BobbyMo
July 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I would say last year Albany for sure. I think RMUTV has a video up on YouTube of one of the hits they laid down on us. The entire game was just brutal.

Should be a great one this year.

FCS Go!
July 12th, 2007, 08:26 PM
If I did I wouldn't be allowed to post it on a message board.

Hey all, MplsBison is obviously some kind of high-speed, secret squirrel operative of the NCAA. We should be grateful for his inside info with out questioning his sources.xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
July 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Army. Having been in the Army I know the kind of PT those guys do.

UAalum72
July 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
But second of all, there is a precedent and a protocol that the NCAA could use to establish one: basketball must be played on a wood floor.

Wrong again, the floor material is not specified in the NCAA rule book.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_m_w_basketball_rules.pdf

However the air pressure in the ball is to be adjusted so it bounces to the proper height for whatever surface is being used.

And I've seen basketball games played on various synthetic surfaces.

If there's a supplement that specifies the surface, show me. Otherwise I've go no reason to believe you.

ngineer
July 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM
The Lehigh-Lafayette game is always physical--even in years when one team has won 'big' the hitting has been hard. That being said, I agree with TU that Yale could be very physical. I remember their team last year was very big and gave us all sorts of problems in the trenches.

MplsBison
July 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Wrong again, the floor material is not specified in the NCAA rule book.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_m_w_basketball_rules.pdf

However the air pressure in the ball is to be adjusted so it bounces to the proper height for whatever surface is being used.

And I've seen basketball games played on various synthetic surfaces.

If there's a supplement that specifies the surface, show me. Otherwise I've go no reason to believe you.

Well whatever.

It's easily within their power to specify a standardized type of surface.

They should do that to increase consistency.

JALMOND
July 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Portland State...

this year...Montana and Davis.
last year...Cal and Montana State. Cats totally beat us up last year in Bozeman, in my opinion, worse than Oregon. The Cal game was terrible, two QB's out in the same game.

UAalum72
July 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well whatever.
Outstanding response xrolleyesx

If they tried to specify a standard surface, would they provide the millions of dollars for members who have to change?

CSUBUCDAD
July 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
2005-Coastal
2006-Coastal
This year? Hawaii

MplsBison
July 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM
If they tried to specify a standard surface, would they provide the millions of dollars for members who have to change?

No more than they provided helmets with masks when those were specified.

It's purely a safety issue.

I suppose they could do something like what they did with the Indian mascots. IE, if you won't convert to turf you can't host playoff games.

UAalum72
July 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
No more than they provided helmets with masks when those were specified.

It's purely a safety issue.

I suppose they could do something like what they did with the Indian mascots. IE, if you won't convert to turf you can't host playoff games.
Are you really comparing helmets to a playing field? A million for a field is a whole different level of spending, especially since leather helmets wore out every year or two.

Playoff games? What do FBS teams care about playoff games? And THEIR money is what would decide this issue.

DaGriz
July 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
2005-Coastal
2006-Coastal
This year? Hawaii

Rainbow Warriors hard hitting? Isn't that an oxymoron?

AmsterBison
July 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I'll have to go with South Dakota State. There was some big hitting going on and their RB was a load. Northeastern was pretty physical on defense as well.

Generally speaking, the FCS has turned out to be a lot more physical than I had imagined it would be. I thought the teams would be more about finesse and skill. Just about every team NDSU has played has been physical, the only exceptions have been a couple of the games that got out of hand early.

UC Davis is a LOT more physical than I remember them being in the D2 games - especially their defensive line.

Appaholic
July 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
2007 - Michigan
2006 - Georgia Southern; Although we lost to NC State, I thought GSU was more physical
2005 - LSU

R.A.
July 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Eastern Michigan should be...

ncbears
July 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hawaii Warriors

MplsBison
July 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Are you really comparing helmets to a playing field?

I'm comparing 2 safety issue

A million for a field is a whole different level of spending

Safety has no price tag.

What do FBS teams care about playoff games?

That would obviously be relevant to only FCS teams.

slostang
July 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'm comparing 2 safety issue

Safety has no price tag.

That would obviously be relevant to only FCS teams.

The topic of this thread is "The Toughest Team On Your Schedule Physically". If you want to argue about turf start your own thread so people can enjoy this thread.

Green Cookie Monster
July 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Fresno Statexrotatehx

stonywolf
July 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
seeing as the team toughness starts with the offensive and defensive lines.... i would have to say that Youngstown State and then Maine will be the toughest.

Last year... i would give it to either CCSU or UMASS...

BULLDOG8180
July 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Wisconsin