PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan hire at Samford = 7 new radio staion affiliates

sugrad04
July 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Considering that our enrollment is around 4,000 (Soon to be 5,000)) this was big news for us.
From the Birmingham News

Bulldogs' air attack to get boost with statewide network of radio stations
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
MIKE PERRIN
News staff writer

Samford University is expanding its football footprint with the debut of coach Pat Sullivan on Aug.30.

When the Bulldogs take the field at Seibert Stadium in their new blue home jerseys, they will also be making their first appearance on their statewide radio network.

Seven stations will join the flagship campus station WVSU 91.1-FM to form the network, according to Jay Roberson, associate director of athletics for external operations. When I sat down with Coach Sullivan, he told me we needed to build the awareness for our brand to help with recruiting and for our university," Roberson said. "As a quarterback, he handed me the ball and I ran with it.

"I have had experience with different radio networks, so I decided to build this syndication plan for the Samford Football Radio Network. It will be great for the awareness for Samford as a whole and what we have to offer as an institution.

"The radio network is a vision that Coach Sullivan had."

The new stations are WATV 900-AM in Birmingham, WAPZ 1250-AM in Montgomery, WLVV 1410-AM in Mobile, WHMA 1390-AM in Anniston, WRHY 105.9-FM in Gadsden, WTRB 98.3-FM in Sylacauga and WFMH 95.5-FM in Cullman.

Samford athletics will also continue to be broadcast through WVSU on al.com.

"It's almost a million households in Alabama," Roberson said, "and worldwide on the Internet."

Samford Athletics Director Bob Roller said the statewide network "easily shows what we've been saying the past six months about the total transformation in Samford athletics, starting with football."

Roberson will serve as the analyst for the broadcasts, while Mike Grace will handle the play-by-play duties. Justin Firesheets, director of broadcasting for the Samford athletics department, will also be a part of the production team and continue to be the play-by-play announcer for Samford basketball and baseball.

"I did a thorough interview process and Mike Grace is a name that's recognizable in the market," Roberson said. "Mike knows college football and he's had play-by-play duties before. He's an executive for Clear Channel's Ultimate Sports Show that's on WERC."

Grace owns Grace Unlimited Media Productions in Daphne and has broadcast Super Six football championships for the Alabama High School Athletic Association.

Roberson will also host Sullivan's 30-minute television show that will be broadcast on the Alabama Cable Network and Comcast's CSS regional network.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184144186294250.xml&coll=2

sugrad04
July 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM
whoops-make that radio STATION -We also got a new play-by-play commentator. See story below.

Jiggs
July 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
That is good news. Sounds like some forward thinking going on.